Wordpress Error 404: Any Wordpress Experts In The House?

14 replies
Error 404 - Not Found shows up on archives page,
even though there are hundreds of entries in each month.

Any help to fix is greatly appreciated.

Ewen
#404 #error #experts #house #wordpress
  • Profile picture of the author Damz
    Did you change your Permalink structure recently?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2809027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mywebwork
    Agreed - the most likely cause is malformatted permalinks.

    Try resaving your permalink settings, that often fixes the problem.

    Bill
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2809031].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Hi Bill,

      Thanks for your response.

      Where do I go to the pemalink settings please?

      Ewen

      Originally Posted by mywebwork View Post

      Agreed - the most likely cause is malformatted permalinks.

      Try resaving your permalink settings, that often fixes the problem.

      Bill
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2809409].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ambalaldarji
        Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

        Hi Bill,

        Thanks for your response.

        Where do I go to the pemalink settings please?

        Ewen
        In the Settings → Permalinks panel (Options → Permalinks before WordPress 2.5), you can choose one of the "common" structures or enter your own in the "Custom structure" field using the structure tags.


        Please note: You never, ever put your site url in the permalinks slot. You must use one of the structure tags, or a combination of tags only.
        Signature

        Buy targeted email lists for your business

        Read the latest and unique business news from industry leaders magazine

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2809441].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
          Does that apply to the latest Wordpress as at June of this year?

          Ewen

          Originally Posted by ambalaldarji View Post

          In the Settings → Permalinks panel (Options → Permalinks before WordPress 2.5), you can choose one of the "common" structures or enter your own in the "Custom structure" field using the structure tags.


          Please note: You never, ever put your site url in the permalinks slot. You must use one of the structure tags, or a combination of tags only.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2809452].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
            Links
            Edit
            Add New
            Link Categories
            ---------------

            Those are the headings under links...where do I find the permalink settings that I'm told to go to please?

            Ewen
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2809473].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author AFI
              Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

              Links
              Edit
              Add New
              Link Categories
              ---------------

              Those are the headings under links...where do I find the permalink settings that I'm told to go to please?

              Ewen

              No under the "SETTINGS" tab on the left you'll see Permalinks.
              Signature

              Learn about Internet Marketing from my dofollow comment blog.....Make Extra Money At Home...
              I WILL BUILD YOU YOUR OWN CUSTOM AMAZON REVIEW SITE - HUNDREDS SOLD!
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2809617].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
                Thank you Jennifer!

                Finally found that permalink settings and changed the setting to date and all the entries by month show up now.

                Easy when you know how...damn frustrating when you don't know.

                Thanks everybody!

                All the best,
                Ewen

                Originally Posted by AFI View Post

                No under the "SETTINGS" tab on the left you'll see Permalinks.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2809685].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ambalaldarji
            Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

            Does that apply to the latest Wordpress as at June of this year?

            Ewen
            yes of course you can apply for latest wordpress.

            And if you want more information on this then i would like to share one nice article on this Optimizing WordPress Permalinks | Digging into WordPress
            Signature

            Buy targeted email lists for your business

            Read the latest and unique business news from industry leaders magazine

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2809607].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Ward
    ^either that or something messed up/changed with .htaccess most likely.
    Signature
    "Keep moving forward."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2809032].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Damz
    http://www.travelnz.net//2010/09/
    is this the URL that showing error??
    its something wrong with "//"
    you have to change it to http://www.travelnz.net/2010/09/
    check out permalink settings on WP control panel..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2809034].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author samuelseeto
    You can also ask your hosting account for help if you still can't figure it out. Especially good if they have live chat. I did that once and they solved an issue for me. Quite efficient.

    But what the guys say seem right. Most likely something has changed like permalinks causing these errors to now occur
    Signature

    Connect with me on LinkedIn. The proof is in the testimonials: http://au.linkedin.com/in/samuelseeto/

    Reach for Freedom. Why not? http://reachforfreedom.com.au

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2809451].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Damz
    See the power of warriors
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2810220].message }}

Trending Topics