I'll have you know that this didn't happen overnight. I have spent a lot of time working on getting these sites rolling. So now the plan is to keep building more sites using the process outlined below.
Below are the exact steps that I took to make this happen. Hopefully this will provide some inspiration and motivation to those who are looking for it.
FYI... These are physical product sites, and they are all ranking somewhere in the #3 to #10 range on Google page 1.
1. I browsed popular department store websites for typical every day items that people use.
2. Performed keyword research with Google Keyword Tool and other SEO tools to find promising [exact] keyword possibilities.
3. Purchased domain name with keywords in the domain name.
4. Built the website on my own using basic HTML (nothing fancy). Created 1000 words ish of unique keyword optimized content for home page and any subsequent pages (most sites are around 5 pages).
5. Submitted to major search engines, Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
6. Wrote articles for each site and submitted them to roughly 8 popular article directories. The number of articles submitted for each has varied based on competition.
That's really all that I have done, not too complicated. I would say it took roughly 3 hours to build each website and get them submitted to search engines. After that, building backlinks with article marketing. The trick is to stick with it even when you think it's not going to happen.