Watermarking Videos Automatically... Possible?

18 replies
Hi Folks

You know how pictures can have "watermarks" embedded into them, to
identify the owner/purchaser...

I'm just wondering, does anyone know if a script exists to do that in
video?

For example, let's say someone purchases a video, and the script
"watermarks" the video with some tag that identifies the purchaser.

Does such a script exist yet?

(If not, why not )
#automatically #videos #watermarking
  • Profile picture of the author MagicAce
    I was thinking of the same thing to but for online books! I think the one who make this will make some good money from producers!

    The easiest way I can think of to add something to a video or book so you can identitfy the buyer is by adding the same number of bits to the video or book as the number of the buyer!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2875973].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Hancox
      Hi MagicAce

      Originally Posted by MagicAce View Post

      I was thinking of the same thing to but for online books! I think the one who make this will make some good money from producers!

      The easiest way I can think of to add something to a video or book so you can identitfy the buyer is by adding the same number of bits to the video or book as the number of the buyer!
      You CAN do this for PDF reports:

      PDF Marker - Stop Losers Sharing Your PDF Reports and Ebooks

      I'm just wondering if similar technology is available for videos.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2876027].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Shannon Herod
        That is a pretty cool idea. But I have never heard of anything like that before.

        Shannon
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2876044].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MagicAce
          Anyway...it doesn't seem to hard to do if you have some experience.
          Here's how someone could do it!
          Let's say you expect 2000 buyers! You have 2000 little images! Random images or maybe images with text like Customer 1, Customer 2 etc.
          Now this online software should get one of this images for every buyer and watermark the video like camtasia does only just online.

          Shouldn't be to hard to do for someone who made software before.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2876064].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
            I think the issue is that the video would need to be entirely re-rendered for each buyer.

            Render time would vary depending on the length of the video.
            Signature

            "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2876448].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author fullmatrix
              Originally Posted by avenuegirl View Post

              I think the issue is that the video would need to be entirely re-rendered for each buyer.

              Render time would vary depending on the length of the video.
              Don't forget the size of your video, CPU power, RAM, and if you have a lot of order at the same time, I think this can be as serious problem, at least in hosting cost.

              But sound cool if there is such software exist though.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2876500].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author eQuus
              Originally Posted by avenuegirl View Post

              I think the issue is that the video would need to be entirely re-rendered for each buyer.

              Render time would vary depending on the length of the video.
              If that's possible, the added extra step would be costly. Also the possibility of something going wrong during the encoding and rendering of individual copies makes the whole scheme undependable and risky --especially when john's video is sent to bob's and bob's to Daisy. I think there is an online service (a guy in here always mentions it when someone requires product security) where buyers can read and watch what they purchase only online, and when they ask for a refund, they can't access the files anymore. I think that would be a more practical solution to curtail file sharing.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2876785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    I think this is a feature of Camtasia, but you can do this
    with any video editing program such as Sony Vegas using
    a video overlay.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2875993].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Wells
    Maybe it's possible that a program can be coded that produces a virtual shell video casing for each individual video sold. Basically the video would be automatically put into its own virtual casing once purchased. The viewer can view the video, but they would be viewing it through the virtual casing which has a transprancy window that holds the watermark.

    When someone purchases the video and after it's rendered, this coded program embeds the water mark for that specific transaction.

    I know that sounds wierd, but I believe it's possible. Not sure what programming language would do that or would be best, but again I believe its possible. But to find someone to figure it out and do it for a price that's reasonable would be a problem.

    They would have to run a exe.file or whatever kind of file that was used to incase the video, or something of that nature to view the video.

    I'm not a programmer, just someone who thinks about it......
    Signature
    Need Custom Graphics Work? - Message Me For A Design Quote!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2876849].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Hancox
    EWGQDD ... interesting

    I also wonder whether a third-party company could provide this kind of service. I think for $25 a month or under, a lot of IM'ers might jump onto that... me included.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2877012].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
      Originally Posted by Paul Hancox View Post

      EWGQDD ... interesting

      I also wonder whether a third-party company could provide this kind of service. I think for $25 a month or under, a lot of IM'ers might jump onto that... me included.
      I think it would cost a lot more than $25 a month.
      Signature

      "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2877017].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steve Wells
        Originally Posted by avenuegirl View Post

        I think it would cost a lot more than $25 a month.
        Not sure at all, but once the programming was done, its all profit...... - business expenses.

        So, if someone did do something like this, and lots of IM jumped on, it could be profitable.

        If I were a programmer, I would do it, but not there yet, and honestly, the farthest I think I will even try to go is php programming and wordpress coding.
        Signature
        Need Custom Graphics Work? - Message Me For A Design Quote!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2877036].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Hancox
        Originally Posted by avenuegirl View Post

        I think it would cost a lot more than $25 a month.
        I currently pay a site $9 a month for 100 GIG of bandwidth where I host my videos, and I could increase that to 250 GIG for $19 a month.

        So I don't really think it would necessarily cost more than $25 a month, as long as the watermarking technology was automatic.

        We just need some entrepreneurial Warriors to step up to the plate...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2877050].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steve Wells
          Originally Posted by Paul Hancox View Post

          I currently pay a site $9 a month for 100 GIG of bandwidth where I host my videos, and I could increase that to 250 GIG for $19 a month.

          So I don't really think it would necessarily cost more than $25 a month, as long as the watermarking technology was automatic.

          We just need some entrepreneurial Warriors to step up to the plate...
          Yes, yes, yes, then pay me for the idea

          Also, PM me the name of your video hosting service if you can.....

          Are they good, do the videos stream fast if embedded into a webpage?
          Signature
          Need Custom Graphics Work? - Message Me For A Design Quote!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2877056].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Paul Hancox
            Hi EWGQDD

            Originally Posted by EWGQDD View Post

            Yes, yes, yes, then pay me for the idea

            Also, PM me the name of your video hosting service if you can.....

            Are they good, do the videos stream fast if embedded into a webpage?
            The site is Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

            I should clarify... I don't actually have my customers *stream* the video from that site.

            I use it to host the videos in a ZIP file, and once customers have paid, they download the videos from Mediafire. (I don't host the videos on my own site as my hosting company have a 50mb file limit.)

            However, a site like Mediafire *could* offer a watermarking video service if they wanted... and I can't see why a Warrior couldn't offer that service, IF the technology was available.

            It would be like DLGuard, but instead of *protecting* the download link, the service watermarks the video, then serves up the customer with the watermarked video for them to download.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2877088].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Steve Wells
              Originally Posted by Paul Hancox View Post

              Hi EWGQDD



              The site is Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

              I should clarify... I don't actually have my customers *stream* the video from that site.

              I use it to host the videos in a ZIP file, and once customers have paid, they download the videos from Mediafire. (I don't host the videos on my own site as my hosting company have a 50mb file limit.)

              However, a site like Mediafire *could* offer a watermarking video service if they wanted... and I can't see why a Warrior couldn't offer that service, IF the technology was available.

              It would be like DLGuard, but instead of *protecting* the download link, the service watermarks the video, then serves up the customer with the watermarked video for them to download.
              Thanks Paul.........
              Signature
              Need Custom Graphics Work? - Message Me For A Design Quote!
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2877131].message }}

Trending Topics