How do I totally automate my twitter account?

26 replies
How do I totally automate my twitter account?
Any suggestions on the best twitter mentor!

Thanks
Cajunlady
#account #automate #totally #twitter
  • Profile picture of the author Jim Schaub
    socialoomph.com
    Signature
    *** FREE EBOOK ***
    Top 5 Tools to get Leads and Sales >> DOWNLOAD NOW
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2914652].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dadamson
      Originally Posted by bringinrevenue View Post

      socialoomph.com
      +1 for SocialOomph

      It is great as you can schedule an infinite number of posts at any timeframe and you can pre-create them.

      You can even choose to auto-follow and send a follow-message when somebody follows you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2920906].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
        Originally Posted by Devid farah View Post

        Hi Kirk!
        Yes, automating Twitter accounts can be used for spamming, and this isn't the reason for automating it!
        If you own a website that updates with a bunch of new content weekly, you could send an automated message every week saying to come check out the new content.
        This would be beneficial to followers who want a reminder to come see the website - like if the website were a good webcomic, for example, I wouldn't mind a reminder to go check when a new one is out.
        You can also use it to post messages later - like you can set it up now to post a "Merry Christmas!" message on Christmas.. this isn't spam, it's just a nice sentiment you want to express on Christmas and might not have time to post at that time.

        Regards!
        Well, you don't have to send that automated message to go visit your blog either.

        I have automation that posts to twitter only when I have a new blog post. And that posts to Facebook when I have a new Twitter post. But the original post will be new and unique.
        Signature

        "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2920924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author noble
    Thats correct I've been using socialoomph for quite some time.

    You also get a free trial for like a month or so to decide if you want to pay for it or not.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2914685].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Devid Farah
      Hi there,

      I would suggest socialoomph.com. It has features that allow you to do things like automatically follow those who follow you, schedule specific tweets to automatically be posted in the future, and schedule "recurring" tweets which go out every hour/day/week/etc.

      There are also tools like TweetManager (tweetmanager.com), which is in a private beta mode, and Tweetable (Tweetable Twitter Plugin), which is specifically for automatically tweeting Wordpress posts, but for overall twitter account automation i highly suggest Socialoomph!

      Best of luck
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2915373].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author richard_s_smith
    just got socialoomph, any specific settings or tricks y'all found successful
    Signature

    Love the life you live so you can live the life you love.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2915462].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kirk Ward
    What is the point of automating Twitter?

    Isn't the point of Twitter to be able to send messages from yourself?

    I'm thinking that most folks are seeing those Twitter adverts as spam and turning them off, so the only folks they wind up going to are other automated Twitter accounts.

    Last statistic I saw said Twitter was absolutely zero as a marketing medium.

    On the other hand, I've heard nothing but great news about Facebook. JUst waiting to see how long it is before automation kills it too.
    Signature
    "We are not here to sell a parcel of boilers and vats, but the potentiality of growing rich beyond the dreams of avarice."

    Dr. Samuel Johnson (Presiding at the sale of Thrales brewery, London, 1781)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2915508].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Devid Farah
      Originally Posted by Kirk Ward View Post

      What is the point of automating Twitter?

      I'm thinking that most folks are seeing those Twitter adverts as spam and turning them off....
      Hi Kirk!
      Yes, automating Twitter accounts can be used for spamming, and this isn't the reason for automating it!
      If you own a website that updates with a bunch of new content weekly, you could send an automated message every week saying to come check out the new content.
      This would be beneficial to followers who want a reminder to come see the website - like if the website were a good webcomic, for example, I wouldn't mind a reminder to go check when a new one is out.
      You can also use it to post messages later - like you can set it up now to post a "Merry Christmas!" message on Christmas.. this isn't spam, it's just a nice sentiment you want to express on Christmas and might not have time to post at that time.

      Regards!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2917477].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ramkarthik
    I don't know why, but in my opinion, automating twitter completely, isn't the right way to do it.

    The way I see it:

    I would not like someone to come to my blog and post spam comments

    I hate people when they automate forum posts or do nothing but spam (especially this forum)

    I don't understand how automating twitter completely is different compared to the above two.

    No disrespect, but I would take time to connect with people and automate only certain stuff like scheduling tweets so people living in the other end of the world will also see it. Total automation, in my opinion, is not the right way to use twitter.
    Signature
    Sit back and relax, while you take advantage of this freelance writer.
    Special Price:$10 per article (normally $25). PM Me for details.
    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2918270].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
      Originally Posted by Kirk Ward View Post

      What is the point of automating Twitter
      • What is the point of storing hundreds of Mp3s on a hard drive versus storing a hundreds of CDs on a string of CD towers and CD cabinets?
      • What is the point of using Microsoft Word versus using a pencil, paper and eraser?
      • What is the point of using a 2 TB flash hard drive as opposed to using four file cabinets, a box of manila folders, a box of colored tabs and a file numbering system?
      Hopefully you get the point...

      Originally Posted by ramkarthik View Post

      I don't know why, but in my opinion, automating twitter completely, isn't the right way to do it.
      Then stick to your method and don't bother with automation while the rest of us AUTOMATE! See how easy that is?

      Preaching and/or railing against something you don't do or don't understand could really be construed as a gross misappropriation of time, couldn't it? :confused:

      Originally Posted by ramkarthik View Post

      The way I see it:

      I would not like someone to come to my blog and post spam comments

      I hate people when they automate forum posts or do nothing but spam (especially this forum)

      I don't understand how automating twitter completely is different compared to the above two.
      That statement just proves that you nor anyone else is the sum total of all knowledge. If you understood the WHY of setting up auto posting for Twitter and the HOW you would not have made that statement.

      Originally Posted by ramkarthik View Post

      No disrespect, but I would take time to connect with people and automate only certain stuff like scheduling tweets so people living in the other end of the world will also see it. Total automation, in my opinion, is not the right way to use twitter.
      How about this factoid, I automate "ALL" of my Twitter posts and "ALL" of my money websites have separate Twitter accounts.

      Question, how could any IMer send out tweets to every site they own when they have more money sites than you can shake a stick at?

      Answer, it is not possible without automation and some great VAs!

      Just so you know, I am not trying to connect with anyone, I am also not trying to get followers. And I am definitely not following others. Honestly, I don't even look at any of the Twitter accounts that I have, except maybe once in a blue moon. All I know is they have some sweet PR and therefore pass some sweet LJ.

      Now see if you can figure out what my Twitter business model is.

      My point being, many IMers have a different business model than you have. The Twitter business model that I just described is extremely effective to the point that it gets followers even though we don't wont them and don't need them.

      Giles, the Crew Chief
      Signature
      Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

      SEO G.O.L.D. = Genuine Overall Link Diversity
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2919539].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by Kirk Ward View Post

        What is the point of automating Twitter?
        ...

        I'm thinking that most folks are seeing those Twitter adverts as spam and turning them off, so the only folks they wind up going to are other automated Twitter accounts.

        ...
        Kirk, one of the reasons I ignored my Twitter pages for months was the badly automated, lazy junk that was showing up. I did the usual 'build follower numbers by following back', and the page content turned into a river of garbage.

        The typical pattern was spam, spam, "inspirational" quote scraped from a quote site, spam, spam, spam, supposed funny one-liner, etc. It got real boring, real fast.

        Reminds me a lot of the demise of Usenet and FFA pages. Both turned into spambots having 'conversations' with no human intervention...

        Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

        • What is the point of storing hundreds of Mp3s on a hard drive versus storing a hundreds of CDs on a string of CD towers and CD cabinets?
        • What is the point of using Microsoft Word versus using a pencil, paper and eraser?
        • What is the point of using a 2 TB flash hard drive as opposed to using four file cabinets, a box of manila folders, a box of colored tabs and a file numbering system?
        Hopefully you get the point...
        The point seems to be that you get frustrated and lash out at anyone who fails to kneel at the automation altar lately...

        Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

        Preaching and/or railing against something you don't do or don't understand could really be construed as a gross misappropriation of time, couldn't it? :confused:
        Any chance doing the same thing in favor rather than against might be the same thing? :confused:


        Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

        How about this factoid, I automate "ALL" of my Twitter posts and "ALL" of my money websites have separate Twitter accounts.

        Question, how could any IMer send out tweets to every site they own when they have more money sites than you can shake a stick at?

        Answer, it is not possible without automation and some great VAs!

        Just so you know, I am not trying to connect with anyone, I am also not trying to get followers. And I am definitely not following others. Honestly, I don't even look at any of the Twitter accounts that I have, except maybe once in a blue moon. All I know is they have some sweet PR and therefore pass some sweet LJ.

        Now see if you can figure out what my Twitter business model is.

        My point being, many IMers have a different business model than you have. The Twitter business model that I just described is extremely effective to the point that it gets followers even though we don't wont them and don't need them.

        Giles, the Crew Chief
        This I understand and I can respect.

        You aren't trying to build phony relationships by letting your scrapers and lists of quotes pretend to talk to me via the Twitter page, nor are you trying to build a list of people you can ad-bomb.

        Seems more like someone taking a chainsaw meant to efficiently manufacture firewood and using it to sculpt ice...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2920248].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ramkarthik
        Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

        How about this factoid, I automate "ALL" of my Twitter posts and "ALL" of my money websites have separate Twitter accounts.

        Question, how could any IMer send out tweets to every site they own when they have more money sites than you can shake a stick at?

        Answer, it is not possible without automation and some great VAs!

        Just so you know, I am not trying to connect with anyone, I am also not trying to get followers. And I am definitely not following others. Honestly, I don't even look at any of the Twitter accounts that I have, except maybe once in a blue moon. All I know is they have some sweet PR and therefore pass some sweet LJ.

        Now see if you can figure out what my Twitter business model is.

        My point being, many IMers have a different business model than you have. The Twitter business model that I just described is extremely effective to the point that it gets followers even though we don't wont them and don't need them.

        Giles, the Crew Chief
        If that business model works for you, it is completely fine with me. What I shared above is my business model and "my opinion". I said that "in my opinion" automating twitter is not the right way to do it.

        On a side note, no wonder people say "there is no value in twitter marketing".

        Zappos is such a big company and they have people monitoring many keywords related to their company and respond to them. If you go and tweet "I like Zappos" or "I hate Zappos" or whatever, they will almost always respond to you. I can see why they have so many satisfied customers and also non-customers, who go and spread a word about them. They are doing it the right way, and yes, it takes time. They are building business. So it is worth their time.

        I respect their twitter model and like to follow that.

        And again, whatever your twitter business model is, it is just my opinion that completely automating twitter is not worthy and the followers you get are mostly people who auto-follow back and never consider their "twitter timeline" to see your tweets or other people who are automating twitter.

        Just my opinion
        Signature
        Sit back and relax, while you take advantage of this freelance writer.
        Special Price:$10 per article (normally $25). PM Me for details.
        .
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2921542].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
          Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

          The point seems to be that you get frustrated and lash out at anyone who fails to kneel at the automation altar lately...
          I think you may have missed the point.

          The OP did not start the thread attempting to determine "IF" he should go the route of automating his Twittering objectives. That issue was not up for debate. He was clearly dead set on automation when he asked the question, "How do I totally automate my twitter account?"

          Any comments to the effect suggesting that he should not automate his Tweets were in fact counterproductive to his request. IMHO, surely those making such comments, stating their disdain with automating Tweets would have been better served starting a thread expressing their feelings/opinions as opposed to using his thread with its specific mission as a platform to show their disdain... essentially taking his thread in a direction [an unnecessary debate] he didn't intend for it to go.

          And John, just so you know, I'm US Air Force - Invisible Badgers; we don't get frustrated, nor do we get flustered because we can see in the dark!

          Oh and that analogy about the chainsaw; I probably would have used C-4 to sculpt the ice, that way I could have me a Hawaiian Shaved Ice after the explosion. :rolleyes:

          Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

          Any chance doing the same thing in favor rather than against might be the same thing?
          John, when it comes to Internet Marketing, I have absolutely ZERO bias! If it works, and it is not a time drain, resource hog or endless money pit, I'm in! You will never hear me talking about I hate this tool, system or strategy because I understand that there are various business models, many of which produce amazing results when followed.

          IMHO, it would be an egregious case of un-business-like conduct for me to rail against a business model because I don't use it, don't like it or don't understand it. So to answer your query, I don't see it that way, but then again, I'm not the sum total of all knowledge.

          Originally Posted by ramkarthik View Post

          If that business model works for you, it is completely fine with me. What I shared above is my business model and "my opinion". I said that "in my opinion" automating twitter is not the right way to do it.
          OK, ramkarthik, you sound like the vegetarians who state, in their opinion that no man should eat meat. Or, how about the people who opinion that humans should never wear furs. Or how about those who opinion that no one should drive Hummers.

          My response to the vegetarians who take the time to make their opinions known? You might want to try the Alaskan Baked Salmon; it's savory, and so tender that it flakes to the touch and the chef seasoned it just right with freshly squeezed lemons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, sea salt and topped it off with a special marinade and fresh cilantro.

          Translated; try it, you may like it and just may leave the vegetarian stuff to the humming birds, cows, squirrel and horses...

          And just to be crystal clear, as far as my Twitter accounts, I could care less about getting followers and/or interacting with potential customers or current customers VIA Twitter. For me, Twitter is just a tool that in our current business model, we use to expand our BL network. We are not trying to build a relationship with followers. Truth be told, they could all unfollow and we wouldn't skip a single beat.

          In summation, all that means is that we view Twitter differently and have different business models. My Twitter Business Model works like a charm and hopefully yours does to.

          Giles, the Crew Chief
          Signature
          Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

          SEO G.O.L.D. = Genuine Overall Link Diversity
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2921770].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ramkarthik
            Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

            OK, ramkarthik, you sound like the vegetarians who state, in their opinion that no man should eat meat. Or, how about the people who opinion that humans should never wear furs. Or how about those who opinion that no one should drive Hummers.

            My response to the vegetarians who take the time to make their opinions known? You might want to try the Alaskan Baked Salmon; it's savory, and so tender that it flakes to the touch and the chef seasoned it just right with freshly squeezed lemons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, sea salt and topped it off with a special marinade and fresh cilantro.

            Translated; try it, you may like it and just may leave the vegetarian stuff to the humming birds, cows, squirrel and horses...

            And just to be crystal clear, as far as my Twitter accounts, I could care less about getting followers and/or interacting with potential customers or current customers VIA Twitter. For me, Twitter is just a tool that in our current business model, we use to expand our BL network. We are not trying to build a relationship with followers. Truth be told, they could all unfollow and we wouldn't skip a single beat.

            In summation, all that means is that we view Twitter differently and have different business models. My Twitter Business Model works like a charm and hopefully yours does to.
            LOL the metaphors. Anyway, I can understand what you are trying to say.

            Its always good to have constructive debates like this where we can actually see both sides of the coin.

            That being said, I'm going to stick to vegetarianism. In other words, connecting with people and building relationship

            And to the OP, I did not mean you should not automate twitter. I told you my opinion and I just showed you the other way of approaching twitter which you might want to consider, as it works well for me.

            - Ramkarthik
            Signature
            Sit back and relax, while you take advantage of this freelance writer.
            Special Price:$10 per article (normally $25). PM Me for details.
            .
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2921919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rainman
    Originally Posted by cajunlady View Post

    How do I totally automate my twitter account?
    Any suggestions on the best twitter mentor!

    Thanks
    Cajunlady
    If you want to automate AND add value, then use Twitter Feed... Yahoo pipes is a great tool to customize feeds that auto-submit to Twitter and Facebook
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2920264].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JonAlfredsson
    My vote is for socialoomph. But as they say remember that being in twitter should not only be about getting followers, building relationships and real connnection will contribute a lot for your business and marketing.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2920789].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thebitbotdotcom
    I abandoned visiting Twitter long ago. When automation applications reach into the thousands, you know things have gone awry. For internet marketers, the temptation to automate is too great to resist. Unfortunately, however, automation is part of the Twitter experience.
    Signature
    Do Your Copywriting Skills Suck?

    Let Us Help You Develop Your Writing Skills!

    Submit Guest Posts With [ TheBitBot.Com ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2920831].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Warrior65
    Socialoomph is the best, I think. I've beem using it for about 6 months and it works great. I don't really know who thier competitor is but I'm sure there's one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2920854].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jake Moore
    TweetAttacks has a free product that is well worth checking out. You can find the link on the bottom of their .com page. Can't link it since I'm too new here.
    Signature
    Could You Sell $29/Month Unlimited Talk, Text and Data Plans to Your Subscribers?
    Fantastic Commissions + Bonus + Residual
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2920911].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Jordan
    Use StatusNet's auto-unfollow to automatically unfollow somebody that "unfollows" you.

    Check out also the Scheduled Updates, Queue Reservoirs n SocialOomph. This is where you can put updates into the reservoir, and this will simultaneously drip-feed the updates into all your social accounts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2921106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paulie888
    Witnessing this back and forth dialogue is certainly making for an interesting read, lol. There are valid points to both approaches, and I think the crucial question now is for cajunlady to ask herself what she wants to use Twitter for.

    I may be wrong, and I'm perfectly ready to stand corrected if I am, but I'm of the opinion that cajunlady wants to use Twitter for sales and promotion purposes, therefore necessitating pesky and inconvenient activities like relationship building and personal interaction in Twitter.

    If this is what you want to do cajunlady, then I have bad news for you. There is absolutely no way to totally automate this process. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but this just isn't possible. Get rid of your Twitter automation fantasies, and get to work instead.

    Paul
    Signature
    >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2921947].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Vogin
      Well, one of our accounts has like 3.5k followers (and slightly more following). We got that number by automation, heck, TweetAdder is running right now.

      The only problem is that I seriously doubt that more than e.g. 30 people are actually interested in what we're tweeting, let alone read it, click on links etc...

      Seriously, don't automate it, you will only waste any possible Twitter potential.

      Find a few top guys from your industry, follow them and then just make yourself worth following. It's much better to have 200 people actually listening to you than our 3.5k...
      Signature

      ppcsluzby.cz/en - PPC agency


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2921997].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Lothar Evers
        Originally Posted by Vogin View Post

        It's much better to have 200 people actually listening to you than our 3.5k...
        This is my conclusion too.
        After a lot of experimenting.
        Automated and manual...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2922027].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulie888
        Originally Posted by Vogin View Post

        Well, one of our accounts has like 3.5k followers (and slightly more following). We got that number by automation, heck, TweetAdder is running right now.

        The only problem is that I seriously doubt that more than e.g. 30 people are actually interested in what we're tweeting, let alone read it, click on links etc...

        Seriously, don't automate it, you will only waste any possible Twitter potential.

        Find a few top guys from your industry, follow them and then just make yourself worth following. It's much better to have 200 people actually listening to you than our 3.5k...
        My point exactly. You're interested in quality and not quantity here. What's the purpose of having thousands of followers who do not respond to your tweets?

        Paul
        Signature
        >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2922039].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Giles, I see your point about taking the thread in a different direction than intended. Maybe it was coincidence, but I read several posts of yours in a short time chastising people for being against using some automation tools. Including some wild ranting about Honey Badgers and some kind of underground anti-Google cadre that had me searching for my tinfoil hat.

          And the Air Force thing explains a lot, too. If it weren't for some serious automation, you guys would still be dropping grenades from hand-cranked biplanes...

          And unless you're awfully clever with that C4, you're more likely to end up with a steam facial than shave ice.

          Seriously, though, in general I get your point and don't disagree with you. My biggest beef is that so few people take the time and trouble to learn to use the automation tools available well.

          In conversations on copywriting, when someone inevitably protests that they hate long copy, my response has been that I don't dislike long copy - I dislike bad copy. The same goes for automation.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2924755].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gerald Arno
    Banned
    Hey,

    there are tons of possibilities, and a few
    that are very effective in the long run
    has already been stated such as socialoomph...

    I´d also go with twaitter which is completely free,
    and I recommend you get tweetdeck to run your
    daily twitter marketing professionally which is also
    free.

    Hope this helps,

    Gerald
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2924826].message }}

Trending Topics