When the need to outsource article writing arises...

30 replies
As the result of a conversation with an IM aquaintence, I thought that this warning might be appropriate.

When the need to outsource the writing of your articles comes along be very careful. You could come out of it having lost a significant amount of money.

In the advertising section of the WF there are quite a number of adverts from writers. Do not make the mistake of thinking that because their sample work is beautifully written, the work that they do for you will be equally well written.

Ignore the samples completely and request that one or two articles be written for you, but do be prepared to lose that money. I would also recommend that you offer the writer a 50% deposit with the remainder to follow on receipt of an acceptably worded article.

Unfortunately many of the advertisers do not do the writing themselves, they simply outsource down the line to others who will accept a pittance for their work and whose command of the English language, while being great for general conversation, is simply not good enough for the writing of internet marketing reports.

Whenever possible it may well be far less costly to purchase suitable PLR material and use them as a base to quickly re-write a fresh article although PLR articles can be used as is. A number of PLR companies will be very happy to take product requests, but you will may have to be patient while you wait for your turn to come along because others have put in requests ahead of you.


All the best

Sandy
#arises #article #outsource #writing
  • Profile picture of the author x3xsolxdierx3x
    I have dabbled in outsourcing, but, even with clear and strict guidance, I've been let down so many times (regardless of the price paid). Fortunately, I do like writing, and, with some of my stringent standards, I've come to just write all my content myself...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2945499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasonboom
    I guess I'm doing it wrong.

    While your warning may hold water with some of the writing services, all freelance writers cannot be shoved into the same mold. Many of us work very hard to ensure quality articles on each and every order. Sound advice nonetheless.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2947258].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DeborahDera
    Originally Posted by SandyDuPlessis View Post

    As the result of a conversation with an IM aquaintence, I thought that this warning might be appropriate.

    When the need to outsource the writing of your articles comes along be very careful. You could come out of it having lost a significant amount of money.

    In the advertising section of the WF there are quite a number of adverts from writers. Do not make the mistake of thinking that because their sample work is beautifully written, the work that they do for you will be equally well written.

    Ignore the samples completely and request that one or two articles be written for you, but do be prepared to lose that money. I would also recommend that you offer the writer a 50% deposit with the remainder to follow on receipt of an acceptably worded article.

    Unfortunately many of the advertisers do not do the writing themselves, they simply outsource down the line to others who will accept a pittance for their work and whose command of the English language, while being great for general conversation, is simply not good enough for the writing of internet marketing reports.

    Whenever possible it may well be far less costly to purchase suitable PLR material and use them as a base to quickly re-write a fresh article although PLR articles can be used as is. A number of PLR companies will be very happy to take product requests, but you will may have to be patient while you wait for your turn to come along because others have put in requests ahead of you.


    All the best

    Sandy
    Many writers hire "teams" so that they can do more work. This is incredibly difficult to do, though - especially if you are simply delivering articles to the purchaser. I once hired a writer who gave me great work, twice - but the third batch was horrible. I told her outright that I knew she had farmed the work out to someone else. She admitted that she had not only given the work out, but had not checked the articles before delivering them to me.

    I do all of my work, on my own, and stand by it 100% - whether it's unique articles or the PLR I sell. It'll take me longer to grow my business, but I won't have anyone but myself to blame for my reputation.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2947270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fun to Write
    I don't advertise on the for hire section of this forum, but I do run a writing service where I do writing myself, and outsource some of the writing to US based writers. I also pre-screen my outsourced writers for quality before giving them assignments.

    The problem isn't that these services outsource to others, it's that they outsource to people who have not been pre-screened for their ability to write quality English language copy.

    The reason why you pay cheaper rates for these services, is because they outsource the writing to people in countries where they can pay them pennies on the dollar for the task. Basically, you get what you pay for.

    Expect that most times, you'll have to rewrite the stuff that a lot of cheap services give you. So, that means you're paying for PLR.

    American freelance writers expect to be paid much more. I mainly do writing jobs for SEO companies now, because they are willing to pay higher rates for quality writing done by US based writers.

    I agree that samples can be the real thing or a front to gain your trust. The only way to know that a writing service is good is to buy an article and see if it meets your standards.
    Signature

    Focus+Smart Work+Persistence=Success

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2947293].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SandyDuPlessis
      While your warning may hold water with some of the writing services, all freelance writers cannot be shoved into the same mold. Many of us work very hard to ensure quality articles on each and every order. Sound advice nonetheless.
      I agree with you 100%. There are many great freelance writers who generate excellent articles. Unfortunately though there are also quite a number of people who are new to IM and whose written English is perhaps not quite the best so they look for affordable (for them) content writers. That is when their problems usually start.

      Sandy
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2947393].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Victor Edson
      I just finished writing a private message about the same thing...different niche...graphics.

      I don't know why it's so hard to find someone who not only says they can do something to a certain level of expertise, but then to actually do the service they agreed upon!

      I run a backlink service, and I would never dream of not offering the best service I could to anyone, it just doesn't make any sense.

      I've had article writers, ebook writers, graphics designers, and article spinners ALL let me down this year. But you know what...I've also found a few golden nuggets in the batch too.

      Just like anything, outsourcing aint easy. You gotta work it like everything else if you want to get the most out of it. I wish it were as easy as just paying for quality, but that isn't even the case most of the time.

      If you come accross one of these services in the warrior forum, PLEASE mention it on their thread!!! This will save others from making the same mistake as you. Also please read the comments to help save yourself from douchebags.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2947526].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author phpnetpro
    I completely agree here and that's way I hardly ever outsource work unless I absolutely have to do so.

    I used to work full-time online as a freelance programmer and writer. I still outsource some of my own time to work for others, but I try to rely more on my own income from websites for the last number of years instead of just doing work for others all day long.

    What I found out as a freelancer has made me not outsource work of my own now.

    I do really good quality work. I always treated the projects of others as if they were my own. The problem that I ran into wasn't that people disliked my work, but it was hard to sell my time for what it was worth.

    I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but it's actually your(plural-for everyone) fault that you get bad quality work. I'll explain why...

    Somewhere along the line, people outsourcing work got greedy (or maybe it's always been this way). Since they realized people would compete to get their work, they would demand more and more work for less and less money. As some point, the freelance workers had to start dishing out crappy quality work or else they would end up working for 50 cents an hour. The truly good quality freelancers would then find themselves unable to get work unless they were willing to settle for a fraction of what their time was worth. This resulted in the good workers being left with two choices: 1-Stand your ground and take much less work to still receive a decent hourly rate or 2-Join the crowd, bid low on projects and churn out the work as quickly as possible.

    So, the only ultimate suggestion that I can offer is to be willing to pay a reasonable price for good quality work. Make it clear that you are willing to properly compensate someone for their time as long as they will treat it like their own work and produce a good quality product for you.

    Unfortunately, the way things currently work, it is the guys that pump out crap quality work that end up being the profitable ones while the truly high quality people are put out of business because everyone is out to save a buck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2947352].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Audrey Harvey
      Originally Posted by phpnetpro View Post


      I do really good quality work. I always treated the projects of others as if they were my own. The problem that I ran into wasn't that people disliked my work, but it was hard to sell my time for what it was worth.
      It's not always about the money. I never farm out my client's work, but I have outsourced some writing work for my own sites when life has been a bit hectic.

      I've paid $10+ for some dreadful articles, yet paid $4 for brilliant work that I'd have been proud to say I'd written! Whatever a writer is charging for their work, you have to try one or two articles before you buy a bunch.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2948467].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
        I spent $200 plus on writers ( in a matter of a couple of days)at various sites before I found one that is consistent. I know I am picky. Honestly the last place I went was fiverr and after only three tries I have been more than happy with one I found.

        I prefer to do my own writing but sometimes you get so far behind it just becomes a necessity. There are some very good writers out there that wil do you a wonderful jog but as the OP stated, Samples mean very little.

        I received one superior article and hated to report to the the supposed author that wikipedia or her one was a plagiarizing theif .
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2948569].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author interactivex
    Basically if you are hiring someone to produce low quality crap articles you are wasting your money because you can easily get hundreds of spun articles much more cheaply than hiring someone in India to do it.

    So if you are hiring someone, you should really only get them if it's high quality content for a high quality web site
    Signature

    Great software for managing Philippine employees - Time Doctor

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2948338].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Net Assasin
    What a great post Sandy. I think it's just a matter of time before everyone stops using these cheap services.

    It is just common sense, if you pay $3 for an article there is no way that it is going to be a quality, hand written original. Wake up people !

    A solo mum friend of my wife's and my neighbours daughter both write articles for me for $10ea (new zealand dollars) and they are fantastic and 100% original as well.

    If there is ever a problem I simply call them and have it corrected, it's just too easy !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2948563].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NicoleBeckett
    Originally Posted by Greg Wildermuth View Post

    I can't believe any "writing service" outsources their writing... doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?
    Unfortunately, it's actually quite common. I've had clients tell me that they were specifically looking for higher-priced, American services... who then promptly outsourced the work to "writers" who didn't even speak proper English.

    While it's certainly not fair to group all writers into the same category (that would be like saying all IMers are the same shady, hyped up, sleezeball that you see pitching junk products!), but you certainly have to do your homework.

    A simple conversation can answer your questions and alleviate your concerns. When I talk to clients, I tell them exactly what they can expect. I tell them exactly who will be doing their writing, and exactly what we do to maintain our high standards on each project. If a writing service isn't willing to answer your questions or discuss things with you in advance, it's not a service you should be dealing with.
    Signature
    Sick of blending in with the crowd? Ready to stand ahead of the pack? The right content writing services can get you there...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2948748].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joanne D
      This scenario is all too common. I am a freelance writer and I do the writing for ALL my orders. My prices are not the cheapest, but I hope that the reputation I've earned along with satisfied clients will speak volumes. I started here with an introductory offer and got a lot of work. I've recently increased my prices (not without warning) and hope that the work will continue to flow in. If not, I'll find another source for clients.

      I refuse to write for less than what I offer it for here (which is less than what I charge for the same services on my website). I feel the quality of my work speaks for itself, and if clients want quality - they need to pay for it, just like any other business.

      Great topic!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2948841].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
    Great post Sandy!

    There are some terrific writers out there but unfortunately there are also some terrible ones. I have outsourced a few times and been very disappointed in the quality of the work that I haven't done it again.

    One particular writer was a writer that hires a team of writers, or re-outsources the work and when I complained that the quality was terrible he said that it was one of his new writers and wouldn't use them again. He then said he would rewrite them himself for me and he did, plus gave me some extra articles. The quality was better but still not that good.

    This writer advertises here on a WSO and has lots of good feedback, I really find that hard to understand how he gets so much good feedback when the articles I received were terrible, I will never use the service again. Perhaps he does have good writers and I just got the bad one.

    If I ever do outsource again I will only do it to a writer that writes the articles themselves and doesn't outsource them themselves.

    Or as you suggested Sandy, I usually buy PLR and rewrite them - much easier!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2949124].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Audrey Harvey
      Originally Posted by Sheryl Polomka View Post


      I really find that hard to understand how he gets so much good feedback when the articles I received were terrible.
      I think everyone has a different standard as to what "good" actually is. If someone is happy with a lower standard of work than you are, they may well give good feedback. Makes it even harder to know who to choose.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2949184].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
        Originally Posted by Audrey Harvey View Post

        I think everyone has a different standard as to what "good" actually is. If someone is happy with a lower standard of work than you are, they may well give good feedback. Makes it even harder to know who to choose.
        Very true - maybe I'm just too fussy
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2949243].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author x3xsolxdierx3x
      I'm pretty sure I used the same person, Sheryl, so I highly doubt it was 'just you'. Unfortunately, it's not in my nature (or the forum rules) to call this person out, for as much as I believe doing so could save alot of Warriors some serious cash and heartache.

      Originally Posted by Sheryl Polomka View Post

      Great post Sandy!

      There are some terrific writers out there but unfortunately there are also some terrible ones. I have outsourced a few times and been very disappointed in the quality of the work that I haven't done it again.

      One particular writer was a writer that hires a team of writers, or re-outsources the work and when I complained that the quality was terrible he said that it was one of his new writers and wouldn't use them again. He then said he would rewrite them himself for me and he did, plus gave me some extra articles. The quality was better but still not that good.

      This writer advertises here on a WSO and has lots of good feedback, I really find that hard to understand how he gets so much good feedback when the articles I received were terrible, I will never use the service again. Perhaps he does have good writers and I just got the bad one.

      If I ever do outsource again I will only do it to a writer that writes the articles themselves and doesn't outsource them themselves.

      Or as you suggested Sandy, I usually buy PLR and rewrite them - much easier!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2949196].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
        Originally Posted by x3xsolxdierx3x View Post

        I'm pretty sure I used the same person, Sheryl, so I highly doubt it was 'just you'. Unfortunately, it's not in my nature (or the forum rules) to call this person out, for as much as I believe doing so could save alot of Warriors some serious cash and heartache.
        I'm the same, I don't want to 'call him out' although like you said it would save a lot of Warriors the same issues we had.

        The fact that he did make the effort to rewrite the articles for me would have made me feel pretty bad if I'd given negative feedback.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2949240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Darla
    This warning is in order and timely, especially for persons who may be new to the forum. You cannot presume that because the provider is a member here that the quality of the work will be up to par. Make sure to search the forum for providers who have consistently positive reviews.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2949267].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author redcell1
    I agree with both Sheryl Polomka and x3xsolxdierx3x that if a provider is providing poor quality then I will call them out on it.
    Signature

    Just here to see the shenanigans.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2949391].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    outsourcing is for dummies in the get an article department.

    my lips are sealed? see sig
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2949664].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bitriot
    As with all things in life, you get what you pay for. I do not expect great quality out of a $3.50 cent article as I would from a 10 dollar article.

    I suspect there are lots of people shelling out as little as possible and expecting professional english as a first language corporate level copy... Not really feasible.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2949691].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
      Originally Posted by bitriot View Post

      As with all things in life, you get what you pay for. I do not expect great quality out of a $3.50 cent article as I would from a 10 dollar article.

      I suspect there are lots of people shelling out as little as possible and expecting professional english as a first language corporate level copy... Not really feasible.
      That's true and generally I agree with you - but it isn't always the cheap services that produce bad results, some of the more expensive one's aren't always up to scratch either.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2949716].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Audrey Harvey
      Originally Posted by Sheryl Polomka View Post

      Very true - maybe I'm just too fussy
      Nah, maybe you just take pride in what you put out there.

      Originally Posted by bitriot View Post

      As with all things in life, you get what you pay for. I do not expect great quality out of a $3.50 cent article as I would from a 10 dollar article.
      Not always. I've paid $10 and more for articles I still had to rewrite, but my husband picked up some articles from Joanne above when she had her $4 opening special, and they were brilliant. So, price and feedback aren't an indicator of a good writer. What's left?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2949717].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamieSEO
    Originally Posted by SandyDuPlessis View Post

    In the advertising section of the WF there are quite a number of adverts from writers. Do not make the mistake of thinking that because their sample work is beautifully written, the work that they do for you will be equally well written.

    Ignore the samples completely and request that one or two articles be written for you, but do be prepared to lose that money. I would also recommend that you offer the writer a 50% deposit with the remainder to follow on receipt of an acceptably worded article.

    they simply outsource down the line to others who will accept a pittance for their work and whose command of the English language, while being great for general conversation, is simply not good enough for the writing of internet marketing reports.
    This is something that as an outsourcing business owner has also been an issue for me.

    Going through and testing/screening writers does little good if they pass it on to someone else to write.

    The way I have dealt with this is by making it clear that whoever is assigned the work is the person responsible for the quality.

    I NEVER pay in advance for article writing, only ebooks and other more timeconsuming stuff.

    When testing new writers I give them an article to write that will not be paid for, however I make clear that the article is only used to assess their quality of work and that all rights to it remain theirs so they can sell it, post it on Suite101, etc.

    That way they don't get scammed, but I also don't have to pay for work if its garbage.

    The single best way to get a writer is to use someone that either you know personally, or that a colleague has used and highly recommends.

    Once you find them - marry them.

    Okay... maybe not 'marry' but make darn sure you look after them well so they stay with you.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2949857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author interactivex
    I think nowadays there is little point creating crap quality articles written by non native speakers. You can easily get software to spin thousands of articles for you much cheaper than anyone can write it manually. So if you get a writer, it should be high quality writing.
    Signature

    Great software for managing Philippine employees - Time Doctor

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2969209].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seobro
    I have seen a lot of "writers" if we can dare call them that on FIVerr selling their wares. The quality is to put it nice - very poor. OK so many seem to have a problem with basic English grammar. However, they are working at a rate far below the minimum wage. Basically, you get that for which you pay.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2969305].message }}

Trending Topics