eBook Security, Encription and Anti-Piracy...

by gixxer
28 replies
Hey Everyone!

I'm curious how you're all keeping your eBooks secure and keeping piracy, etc down.

I'm selling mine in a pretty small niche and community, so I don't think it will be a huge problem, but if I can protect my work I'd like to.

Thanks!

Adam
#antipiracy #ebook #encription #security
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Peters Benn
    We have a custom system that watermarks each copy with a hash of the customers details. Seems to keep them honest to a degree. Kindof fussy and slow to use though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2984119].message }}
  • E-Junkie. Been using them for years. Secure downloads (5 downloads per purchase), IP tracking (so you can get a handle on whether the DL link is shared), and now they've come out with a watermark feature (though admittedly, I haven't used it yet.)

    I use them in conjunction with Paypal and Clickbank.
    Signature
    The Entrepreneur Podcast for Making it Big in Modern, Web-Based Business - Entrepreneur Stream Subscribe in iTunes | Subscribe via RSS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2984388].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gixxer
      Originally Posted by Entrepreneur Stream View Post

      E-Junkie. Been using them for years. Secure downloads (5 downloads per purchase), IP tracking (so you can get a handle on whether the DL link is shared), and now they've come out with a watermark feature (though admittedly, I haven't used it yet.)

      I use them in conjunction with Paypal and Clickbank.
      Checking out e-junkie now!

      Adam
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2984762].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    EJunkie and DLGuard both have expiring links, which keeps people from sharing the link. They do not protect the ebook once it has been downloaded. Anyone can take an ebook they purchased and upload it all over the Internet for free or sell it themselves, and they do.

    I just submitted an ebook to Electronic Dead Bolt - ebook security | software security | piracy protection software | online product security. They secure the ebook and return the "wrapped" file to you. I will then distribute it via my DLGuard program that I purchased. When the customer wants to open it, they will have to license their copy (licensing done by the electronicdeadbolt.com site) and if an unlicensed copy is distributed it will not open.

    In addition, should someone request a refund, I can go to my control panel and de-license them and their copy will no longer open. I'm sick of dealing with pirates and any customers who don't want to license their copy, can just not buy. I will state on my sales page the licensing terms so they are aware. That may even prevent some pirates from bothering to purchase it. Service costs $149 for one product. They have other pricing if you want to protect more products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2984822].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gixxer
      AWESOME, Suzanne! Thanks for the help!

      Do you think piracy is a problem in a small community on a niche topic? EDB actually sounds worthwhile if it doesn't degrade the user's experience at all..

      Thanks again!

      Adam
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2989264].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        Originally Posted by gixxer View Post

        AWESOME, Suzanne! Thanks for the help!

        Do you think piracy is a problem in a small community on a niche topic? EDB actually sounds worthwhile if it doesn't degrade the user's experience at all..

        Thanks again!

        Adam
        I don't have any experience in that scenario, but in regards to WSOs, they are literally all over the place soon after they are launched. All it takes is one pirate. As for embracing it and all that ... la la la la. I don't embrace pirates. If this solution becomes a PITA, I'll post it here. This is my first try with it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2989892].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      EJunkie and DLGuard both have expiring links, which keeps people from sharing the link. They do not protect the ebook once it has been downloaded. Anyone can take an ebook they purchased and upload it all over the Internet for free or sell it themselves, and they do.

      I just submitted an ebook to Electronic Dead Bolt - ebook security | software security | piracy protection software | online product security. They secure the ebook and return the "wrapped" file to you. I will then distribute it via my DLGuard program that I purchased. When the customer wants to open it, they will have to license their copy (licensing done by the electronicdeadbolt.com site) and if an unlicensed copy is distributed it will not open.

      In addition, should someone request a refund, I can go to my control panel and de-license them and their copy will no longer open. I'm sick of dealing with pirates and any customers who don't want to license their copy, can just not buy. I will state on my sales page the licensing terms so they are aware. That may even prevent some pirates from bothering to purchase it. Service costs $149 for one product. They have other pricing if you want to protect more products.

      I'm quoting my own post so everyone knows what I'm talking about. Tried the program and requested a refund. Two customers had problems with the file and the developer said that his program is not compatible with DLGuard.

      What that means is that if you use the program by the instructions, you use it with a fixed download page link. That defeats the purpose of using any security at all. People will find the download page and pass it around. All they need to do is download the file and it will license. I would then have to cross reference every license myself to make sure that person paid for the file. I could do that, but don't want to spend that much time on it.

      Ideally, I would like to see a brilliant programmer come up with a product that:

      1) issues expiring download links
      2) issues a license after payment is confirmed

      I did in fact, post such a product on Scriplance and ended up with a bunch of nothing after paying for the first half of the project. No refund, and I've given up trying to get anything more from these guys.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994135].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ArticleGrinder
        Try PrimoPdf. Its free plus you can add security features to it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994404].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
          Banned
          Originally Posted by ArticleGrinder View Post

          Try PrimoPdf. Its free plus you can add security features to it.
          Security can be added without any programs at all. That doesn't prevent people from distributing the pdf or reselling it, and there are plenty of programs that remove security on pdfs.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994425].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gixxer
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      EJunkie and DLGuard both have expiring links, which keeps people from sharing the link. They do not protect the ebook once it has been downloaded. Anyone can take an ebook they purchased and upload it all over the Internet for free or sell it themselves, and they do.

      I just submitted an ebook to Electronic Dead Bolt - ebook security | software security | piracy protection software | online product security. They secure the ebook and return the "wrapped" file to you. I will then distribute it via my DLGuard program that I purchased. When the customer wants to open it, they will have to license their copy (licensing done by the electronicdeadbolt.com site) and if an unlicensed copy is distributed it will not open.

      In addition, should someone request a refund, I can go to my control panel and de-license them and their copy will no longer open. I'm sick of dealing with pirates and any customers who don't want to license their copy, can just not buy. I will state on my sales page the licensing terms so they are aware. That may even prevent some pirates from bothering to purchase it. Service costs $149 for one product. They have other pricing if you want to protect more products.
      You still like DLGuard? I'm definitely going with them unless you have any new info that says I shouldn't.

      Thanks again!

      Adam
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3003759].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        Originally Posted by gixxer View Post

        You still like DLGuard? I'm definitely going with them unless you have any new info that says I shouldn't.

        Thanks again!

        Adam
        Yes ... I love DLGuard primarily because of the PLR websites I sell as zip files. It's an excellent payment and delivery system and I am delivering so far, 182 products with it. It just doesn't prevent piracy.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3003768].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author gixxer
          Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

          Yes ... I love DLGuard primarily because of the PLR websites I sell as zip files. It's an excellent payment and delivery system and I am delivering so far, 182 products with it. It just doesn't prevent piracy.
          Awesome! Thanks again!

          Adam
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3003778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seamusb
    DO USE - E-Junkie - great service

    DON'T USE - PDF passwords (annoys your users and is actually not secure anyway)
    DON'T USE - .exe Ebooks (only works on Windows and won't get past some anti-virus software)
    DON'T WORRY about piracy, embrace it. If it is good enough for the multi-million selling author Paulo Coelho, it should be good enough for you (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Coelho#File_sharing)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2989298].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author deertrail
      Originally Posted by seamusb View Post

      DON'T WORRY about piracy, embrace it. If it is good enough for the multi-million selling author Paulo Coelho, it should be good enough for you (see Paulo Coelho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
      ^^ Agreed. If your product is any good, it will get ripped off. I think you're best off to accept the fact, turn it to your advantage by peppering ALL your digital products with links to other products you sell, and moving on.

      -Bryan
      Signature
      The FILTHY LIE that's keeping you from making the big money online in 2011 >> CLICK HERE
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2989363].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carrot
    I would just include up-sells / affiliate links in the pdf, set security options in acrobat and let it loose.
    If you have the time you can set google alert for your product name and variations, then spend your time chasing forums and submitting removal requests to the file hosting sites, but its probably not worth the effort.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ankitnagpal
    There is a similar thread: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ncopyable.html

    There are 2 ways to protect your pdf files. You can use both or either of them. Both are breakable, but for maximum protection I suggest you to use both.

    1. PDF encryption settings: Disable Copy and Print feature and set a master password on the pdf. In this way pdf file can be opened but no one will not be able to copy or print pages from it.

    2. Convert all pages of pdf from text to images using "Copy Protection" feature.

    Both settings are available in this file conversion software.

    1. First open the pdf/doc file you want to protect in pdf format and then select "Universal Converter" from the list of printers and then select pdf format as output format. And the select "Options" button and set master/owner password with copy and print disabled.

    2. and for "Copy Protection" select "copy protection" checkbox below the output formats list for the conversion of text to image format. And now select the "Save" button to start conversion.

    Hope this info helped. But still the pdf can be copied by an expert who is file formats but it will be harder to copy now.

    if you need more information on pdf file protection, PM me.

    --
    Thanks,
    Ankit

    "thanks" me if you liked this information.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994506].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
      Originally Posted by softsolutions View Post

      There is a similar thread: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ncopyable.html

      There are 2 ways to protect your pdf files. You can use both or either of them. Both are breakable, but for maximum protection I suggest you to use both.

      1. PDF encryption settings: Disable Copy and Print feature and set a master password on the pdf. In this way pdf file can be opened but no one will not be able to copy or print pages from it.

      2. Convert all pages of pdf from text to images using "Copy Protection" feature.

      Both settings are available in this file conversion software.

      1. First open the pdf/doc file you want to protect in pdf format and then select "Universal Converter" from the list of printers and then select pdf format as output format. And the select "Options" button and set master/owner password with copy and print disabled.

      2. and for "Copy Protection" select "copy protection" checkbox below the output formats list for the conversion of text to image format. And now select the "Save" button to start conversion.

      Hope this info helped. But still the pdf can be copied by an expert who is file formats but it will be harder to copy now.

      if you need more information on pdf file protection, PM me.

      --
      Thanks,
      Ankit

      "thanks" me if you liked this information.
      I think you got a slight literal definition of copying... maybe?

      when you sell an ebook, and someone pays for it... that person might be able to copy it to, lets say, different computers... and of course he/she might be able to print it to read it.

      What is not so much fun is to have people downloading for free the product and/or posting it online to others can download it for free too.

      makes sense?

      Sandra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994526].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ankitnagpal
        that is why a unique key based on the customer's machine number can be generated to protect copying.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994534].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ankitnagpal
    Also you can make exe of pdf and the exe opens the pdf file only when a unique license key is entered which is generated using the machine number of the customer. So no one will be able to open it on any other machine where it is not registered.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    I'm trying this one now. Looks very promising and easy to use with less problems than the other program.

    Ebook Security - Protect Your Ebooks from Piracy

    Reasonable price also.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994767].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thecableguy
      I may be behind in the times here as I've been out of ebook publishing for a while, but the standard for publishing ebooks still is pdf's I believe. It's universal as Mac users and mobile readers can view them, and some people won't download exe's for fear of viruses. So you'd be excluding some of the market by not publishing in pdf.

      It used to be that those services and programs that secured pdf's just wrapped them as an exe file which negates publishing in pdf in the first place. Real pdf security used to be about $5,000 from Adobe and I've never seen it though and I've purchased hundreds of pdf's.

      There was a thread on ebook security that mentioned pdf stamping a few weeks ago that might be worth looking into.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994836].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        Originally Posted by alanfukuda View Post

        I may be behind in the times here as I've been out of ebook publishing for a while, but the standard for publishing ebooks still is pdf's I believe. It's universal as Mac users and mobile readers can view them, and some people won't download exe's for fear of viruses. So you'd be excluding some of the market by not publishing in pdf.
        I don't mind eliminating the part of the market who won't buy unless it is an unsecured pdf. Their choice. I'm selling information, not a specific format. I'm quite tired of dealing with piracy and am making other choices for product delivery.

        To give an example, I checked download statistics of one pirated file at one forum and it had been downloaded over 2,000 times. That's just at the one forum and does not include all the sites that offer it for sale as if it were their own and all the other BH forums.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994873].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      I'm trying this one now. Looks very promising and easy to use with less problems than the other program.

      Ebook Security - Protect Your Ebooks from Piracy

      Reasonable price also.

      Ok ... this is my choice. It worked beautifully. I just purchased using a relative's paypal address and the download and licensing went perfectly. Very smooth.

      The other solution I tried, you send them the pdf. It says they return it protected in 3 hrs. It took 7 hrs. Several customers had problems and I don't want my customers to have problems. Every time you want to edit the file, you would need to send it to them to reprotect it. If the download page is discovered, anyone can download it without purchasing and get a license issued.

      This one. You download the program and within 15 minutes, you're delivering your secure ebook and it isn't licensed until it is paid for. You can edit your ebook any time you want and it takes on seconds to reprotect it and upload it to your server. I had no problems with the checkout, download and licensing process as a customer. You can disable the ebook any time someone requests a refund.

      Love it. I think I found my solution.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994932].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gixxer
        Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

        Ok ... this is my choice. It worked beautifully. I just purchased using a relative's paypal address and the download and licensing went perfectly. Very smooth.

        The other solution I tried, you send them the pdf. It says they return it protected in 3 hrs. It took 7 hrs. Several customers had problems and I don't want my customers to have problems. Every time you want to edit the file, you would need to send it to them to reprotect it. If the download page is discovered, anyone can download it without purchasing and get a license issued.

        This one. You download the program and within 15 minutes, you're delivering your secure ebook and it isn't licensed until it is paid for. You can edit your ebook any time you want and it takes on seconds to reprotect it and upload it to your server. I had no problems with the checkout, download and licensing process as a customer. You can disable the ebook any time someone requests a refund.

        Love it. I think I found my solution.
        Thanks a lot, Suzanne!

        Adam
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3003744].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
          Banned
          Originally Posted by gixxer View Post

          Thanks a lot, Suzanne!

          Adam
          No problem. Have had several real customers since I started using this and not a single problem.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3003749].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author gixxer
            Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

            No problem. Have had several real customers since I started using this and not a single problem.
            Very cool! They can't use it on a mobile device though, right?

            Adam
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3003754].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
              Banned
              Originally Posted by gixxer View Post

              Very cool! They can't use it on a mobile device though, right?

              Adam
              Not sure, but an email to support would clear it up. At any rate, it can only be used on one device by a licensee and if that person requests a refund, you can disable the ebook and it will no longer open at all.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3003763].message }}

Trending Topics