Should Newbies Focus on One Thing or Work on Multiple Streams of Income?

by bjgran
68 replies
Should Newbies Focus or Work on Multiple Streams of Income?

I'm a newbie, of course, and was wondering whether you more seasoned Warriors would recommend focusing on one particular method at a time -- like writing an ebook -- or work on multiple streams of income at the same time?

I DO need an immediate income, so would it be best to build my own product, affiliate sites, a service, etc., etc. all at the same time -- or focus on one thing only til I succeed in that?

I know you Warriors have different ideas about how to succeed in IM and I'd love to get your advice.

Thanks so much!!!
Beverly
#focus #income #multiple #newbies #streams #thing #work
  • Profile picture of the author gvannorman
    Even though I have been a member here for a bit, I am still a newbie. I have yet to give affiliate marketing a fair chance. I do have a plan on getting into blogging and creating a steady stream of income with that first. Then incorporate affiliate marketing into my blogs.

    So, as a newbie I think that it would be best to concentrate on one stream first then move onto creating another.

    Since you need immediate income, try offering a service. That is my advice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sarahberra
    Follow Tiffany Dow!!! She recommends that newbies get involved with multiple things. Check out her videos on youtube. She is also coming out with a course for newbies. I can't wait to check that out!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152394].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
      Originally Posted by sarahberra View Post

      Follow Tiffany Dow!!!
      LOL

      I found this terribly funny, for reasons that should be obvious to the OP.
      Signature
      "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152637].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sherrieb
        Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

        LOL

        I found this terribly funny, for reasons that should be obvious to the OP.
        I was thinking the same thing!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152674].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Diane S
      Originally Posted by sarahberra View Post

      Follow Tiffany Dow!!! She recommends that newbies get involved with multiple things. Check out her videos on youtube. She is also coming out with a course for newbies. I can't wait to check that out!!
      LOL! I think she followed Tiffany around for quite a few years, as she learned to crawl, then walk......the OP is Tiffany's mom! Welcome, Beverly!

      Immediate income? Offer article writing in the warriors for hire section. Or learn one task here at WF, then go offer to do it for others at fiverr.com
      Signature
      KimW still needs our help DONATE DIRECTLY
      My First Kindle Book: Ten Days in the Land of Smile
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152899].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    Do both at the same time... But finish each project before moving to the next...
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jerrywilhelm
    Depends on your level of ADD. I don't think it hurts to look around a while in the initial stages to find out what techniques you are best suited for. Personally I started out doing The 30 Day Challenge and that gave me a basic understanding of building Niche sites and SEO. Then I got interested in PPC & PPV and learned about that. Then I got into physical product review sites and found that I like that the best and its working out for me. Trick is to find a good program and get a good grounding in the basics then go for something that interests you. Hope that helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152430].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DireStraits
    Dabbling in many different approaches at once will get you nowhere fast, I think.

    Most/all of the general business models discussed here work, and offer the potential of a full-time income and more. The "problem" is that there are nuances to each that cannot be fully realised, appreciated and pandered to until you've spent a sufficient amount of time learning about and implementing that particular approach. This usually takes a substantial amount of time in and of itself, but if you're unnecessarily dilluting your efforts and spreading (instead of concentrating) your focus, it's bound to take longer.

    In the past, I have jumped from one boat to another, learning the basics of various different traffic-generation and monetisation models, and I've never failed to make some money from each - but I never brought in anything consistent and reasonably substantial until I forced myself to stick with one overall approach.

    (As it happens, I'm now shifting my own focus elsewhere, but this is after mastering one approach, and making it work.)

    It's sometimes hard to identify what business model is likely to "suit you" without trying them out, though, because often the reality of what each takes when you're on the inside looking out, is in stark contrast to how it appeared from the outside looking in.

    So if you want to try skipping this process, read up about the ins and outs of various different business models, and take some time to talk with (and question) those who engage in them. Find out what their daily routines are, what they spend most of their time doing, and decide whether you'd be quite happy doing that.

    Then choose an approach and stick to it, forgetting about everything else until you've amassed enough knowledge, and undergone sufficient trial-and-error, as to have mastered it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152604].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author matt5409
    Originally Posted by bjgran View Post

    Should Newbies Focus or Work on Multiple Streams of Income?

    I'm a newbie, of course, and was wondering whether you more seasoned Warriors would recommend focusing on one particular method at a time -- like writing an ebook -- or work on multiple streams of income at the same time?

    I DO need an immediate income, so would it be best to build my own product, affiliate sites, a service, etc., etc. all at the same time -- or focus on one thing only til I succeed in that?

    I know you Warriors have different ideas about how to succeed in IM and I'd love to get your advice.

    Thanks so much!!!
    Beverly
    hi beverly, i'm rather new to this too. at the moment i am working on my affiliate blogs - just the two of them. i have resisted temptation to set up more at this stage because a) i want to see what results i can get from this and b) i dont want to spread myself too thinly

    i think you should focus on one or two things at a time to give maximum effort to each, and see what works (or doesnt work). after a few months consider mixing things up again. hope this helps!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    Originally Posted by bjgran View Post

    Should Newbies Focus or Work on Multiple Streams of Income?
    Both.

    You should start by focusing on something that will generate income. Once you get it up and kicking, turn your back on it and move to the next income stream. Check on it here and there, but don't keep tweaking and futzing about with it.

    You can waste your life messing around with a $5 a month income stream and trying to make it into $10 a month or even $20 a month. Don't. Get your income stream up, then turn around and get to work on another. Try to make the new one better.

    Because while futzing with your first stream would make you $10 a month, concentrating on a second one will add that same $10 a month to the existing $5 a month. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see how this adds up.
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152630].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 2ndopkate
    Hi Bev,

    I say focus on getting the income coming in. Get a couple of ebook contracts or a steady weekly article deal. I would take on a second project as a 'learning' effort. It would make sense to work in some articles and get you Ezinearticles Expert Author stamp. Use that to self promote your Ghostwriting.

    I would point you to tpw's(above) sig where I got a super tutorial on writing, but it's no longer in his sig...

    Kater ;>
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152656].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
    I strongly believe on focusing on one project at a time. Like CDarklock said - get one income stream going and then work on the next one. But I really believe you should concentrate on just one thing at first until you start earning money with it.

    I think that is a big downfall of many - to keep trying new ideas and never focusing long enough on just one to make it work. I never really started earning money online until I learned to stay focused on one project!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152668].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AprilCT
    Originally Posted by bjgran View Post

    Should Newbies Focus or Work on Multiple Streams of Income?

    I'm a newbie, of course, and was wondering whether you more seasoned Warriors would recommend focusing on one particular method at a time -- like writing an ebook -- or work on multiple streams of income at the same time?

    I DO need an immediate income, so would it be best to build my own product, affiliate sites, a service, etc., etc. all at the same time -- or focus on one thing only til I succeed in that?

    I know you Warriors have different ideas about how to succeed in IM and I'd love to get your advice.

    Thanks so much!!!
    Beverly
    It's a bit difficult to answer you because you have not mentioned what abilities you do possess. When you ask if you should write an ebook, I am assuming you can write and have some kind of special expertise to share.

    I'm not "seasoned" here myself, but assuming you have writing ability, you need a website with articles that help point to, and generate interest to sell your ebook. There's a great deal of information on the forums here that will give you specific tips on marketing your product.

    Continuing with the assumption that you can write, there are many article factories on the net that will pay up front for accepted articles -- some pay weekly, monthly, etc. Warriors need articles here as well, so writing PLR for sale is also a possibility once you and your work become better known.

    Personally, I lean toward more than just one method at a time -- but whatever you choose, it should all be related, such as writing, so you don't find yourself totally overwhelmed with more than you can handle. Take things slow enough to establish yourself the right way the first time.

    Can you give some examples of what you already know how to do? That might assist the posters here with suggestions that pertain more specifically to your abilities and question.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152676].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CyberSorcerer
    Newbies are already hit with information overload so I would have to say focus on one thing to where you understand it, know how it works, how to apply it, how to explain it to someone else if they asked and then move onto something else.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152727].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NateRivers
    I never made any significant progress until I chose one thing and FOCUSED on that until I created a solid stream of income from it... then I moved to the next thing and did the same thing.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152761].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NikkiDelgado
    When you are new to IM its very important to focus on 1 or 2 things and become an expert. The world of IM is very overwhelming as there are soooooooo many different aspects, different techneiques, and different products, programs out there.
    Focus and learn. It takes time but don't give up. Read forums, study articles, but remember to STAY FOCUSSED
    Good luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152790].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Franklin
    Get that immediate income going first - I highly recommend you either freelance or get into offline marketing. There's a big demand for it and there's some great starter posts on the offline marketing sub-forum.

    Get a few regular customers under your belt (even better with a residual structure for your compensation) and then with a regular income start to focus on the next income stream in IM.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3152909].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tomvsi
    Beverly,

    If you have an immediate need for money the first thing I would do is to take inventory of what skills do I have that I could trade time for money. If you can write, look for opportunities to write articles for other people. If you know how to build links, offer that service. Whatever your skill is, use it as the basis for starting your journey.

    Once the immediate need for money is past, the most important thing you can do is FOCUS. Don’t keep chasing the next “Shiny New Object”. You can make money any number of different ways. Find the one you are most comfortable with and just do it!
    Good luck.

    Tom
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3153036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Jordan
    It depends on your ability and personality. If you are a multi-tasker then you can work on a multiple stream of income at the same time. Just make sure to finish it and that are able to put in a sufficient amount of time/effort to make it work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3153048].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kiloh
    I personally recommend if you're a newbie, stick to 1 thing. The biggest pitfall many new comers have is they get overwhelmed with information and they want to make money that they try one thing after another. Lets say you work on idea #1, then you see a new idea, you start to work on idea #2, not giving much focus and attention to #1, then another idea comes to mind and you try that, you'll start to be all over the place and before you know it, you're going to want to quit because you haven't made any money and you thought you had 3 great ideas.

    Stick to 1 until it works, then move on. There's so much great information on this forum, so there's no rush to jump into many things. If internet marketing were that easy, everybody on this board would be working on 5 ideas at once and make 5x the amount, and we all know people have trouble just earning $1/day. Specialize in one thing and then scale it up, my words of advice.
    Signature
    Need help with SEO? Feel free to PM me with any questions, I'll do my best to help.
    PR3 Backlink + Pr1 Backlink - Get your permanent backlink for only $5.
    Need a higher Google ranking? Want to learn what the pros are using? Most essential Wordpress Plugin
    Autoblogs - Try it FREE today! No Domain, No hosting. Setup your own blog farm in 180 seconds.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3153060].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bamsgt
    Stick with 1 thing until its producing and it becomes easy. Then start another stream. The quickest money is on Twitter.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3153077].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Keithsco
    Originally Posted by bjgran View Post

    Should Newbies Focus or Work on Multiple Streams of Income?

    I'm a newbie, of course, and was wondering whether you more seasoned Warriors would recommend focusing on one particular method at a time -- like writing an ebook -- or work on multiple streams of income at the same time?

    I DO need an immediate income, so would it be best to build my own product, affiliate sites, a service, etc., etc. all at the same time -- or focus on one thing only til I succeed in that?

    I know you Warriors have different ideas about how to succeed in IM and I'd love to get your advice.

    Thanks so much!!!
    Beverly
    Proponents and dissidents of both sides of the argument exist of course but, My 2 cents says, if you need IMMEDIATE income don't look to Internet marketing to get it

    What I see is a lot of people buying into the get rich quick mentality that is plastered all over the net. To my mind it does not exist. If it did this forum would probably not exist because we would all just do that instead

    If you read a lot of the threads here they contain ample opinion about working long and hard at one thing to get a result.

    Although - having said all of the above the WSO sales seem to reap a lot in a small amount of time if you know what you are doing. Even a short report @ $7.00 and 20 sales is $120.00 profit after costs -so maybe your best bet is to join the War room, become known for a little while, offer value in your posts, gain trust and network, and figure out some exploit no one has heard of, write the ebook and sell it off as a WSO

    Idk . . just throwing out the idea here . . . .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3153105].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin_Hutto
    If you need immediate income, you need to get a job. Don't let slick sales pages and discussion forum posters fool you. Starting a business is hard work that takes time, knowledge and a lot of elbow grease. It will not yield an immediate income for you. But, it can yield a great income over time as you learn and implement. So, for your immediate needs, do something that will pay you for sure.

    -- Kevin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3153188].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author godsgood
    Well, I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that I have a terrible habit of jumping from one thing to the next, trying to do more than one thing at once, and I haven't made a dime. I am making it a priority this year to make an effort at only one thing at a time, until I am making money at it and it is second nature to me, and then ADDING something else to what I'm already doing. One at a time...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3153247].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    You should have three different income streams. One of them must be based on providing services, the other one on selling products, and the last one must be based on creating a residual income.

    This way, you’ll make money through 3 different ways, without depending only on one. You can very easily learn how to handle three activities that will give you money. Of course, one of them is going to be the one that will keep you more busy than the other ones, because it will be the one that will give you more money, and faster. Everything depends on your talents and knowledge.

    However, don’t neglect creating more income streams because if you’ll fail in your attempt to make money by selling something for example, you’ll have something else to make money, like writing articles as a freelancer.

    If you feel that you are not doing anything in the end because everything takes time, concentration, and work, do one thing at the time, but without putting all your eggs in only one basket. Prepare more income streams for you.

    In the beginning it may be difficult to manage everything, but remember that the beginning won’t last forever. With time and practice you’ll manage to do a lot without any problems.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3153401].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author genietoast
      For immediate income, try writing for Textbroker, Bright Hub or Wise Geek. You can write articles for money. It's not huge pay, but it can get you started until you move into bigger projects.

      For the affiliate marketing part, take your time to understand how it works. That'll take a bit more time to get going.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3153416].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spudnick
    From my experience the best thing for a complete newbie to do is have a bit of a go at most things that are cheap to undertake. I would not blow $1,000's of dollars on PPC, but trying out article marketing, affiliate sales sites e.t.c would be beneficial. This is so you can learn what this game is all about, and decide where you think your skills and interests best sit.

    Once you have tried a few things out (perhaps over 12 months part-time or 3 months full time) it is time to choose 1 or two things to focus exclusively on. this is important. You need to get to the point where you have worked out what business you want to be in, and focus like a laser to achieve your goals. Otherwise, you will spin your wheels and never really achieve anything.

    This year I have chosen two business models to pursue, one of which is creating exceptionally high quality PLR content for other marketers.

    By the way, make sure you focus at least 50% of your time in the beginning on learning how to drive traffic. This is the most important skill you can possibly have.

    Actually, I would venture to say (depending on the exact business model you end up running with long term) that you should spend 80%+ of you time learning this valuable skill.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Spudnick
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3153437].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author peetred
    I would start by doing one thing from start to finish and then moving on to the next thing. It takes discipline, but you will learn a lot from taking all of the steps and then going on to the next step by step.

    The reason I think it's important to try something else is because you can then mesh all of the knowledge you have learned together and make it your own, and that's when the magic starts to happen
    Signature

    [CENTER]Founder of Nerdy Millennial - a blog all about millennials sharing their passions, ideas, and expertise. We love to share our knowledge about blogging, healthy living, psychology, arts, culture, and more! Interested in contributing? Contact us to pitch your idea or submit an article.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3153466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paulie888
    Beverly, many newbies suffer from this classic affliction called information overload. If you're in the beginning stages of your IM, it's very easy to get distracted and pulled in different directions by different methods and systems.

    What I'd suggest is focusing on one method first and get it working satisfactorily. Once you've done that and see results coming in consistently, then you can graduate to a second method, and then a third, etc.

    I find that doing things this way tends to cut down on information overload and distraction, and probably will deliver better results for you.

    Paul
    Signature
    >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3154173].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Neil M
    From my personal experience dabbling in too many areas was one of the things that held me down the most. Once i finally decided to forget about everything and focus on the one area I thought I would make the most money in, SEO, I took off. I think there are so many thing to learn that it can get overwhelming. It's important to really focus in on what you are doing and not get distracted by endless amounts of information.
    Signature
    To find out more about what I'm up to...

    >>>>Visit Rising Ideas Labs <<<



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3154313].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Keith Everett
      I would say, definitely concentrate on one thing at a time .

      I started as a newbie, learning Wordpress and how to Blog, then I learned how to get better at article writing, so I had some material to put on my Blog, then I learned how to monetize the Blog, etc, etc..

      So learn one thing properly, then learn relative things thereafter in a logical sequence. That's my advice..

      Keith
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3154355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rainman
    Originally Posted by bjgran View Post

    Should Newbies Focus or Work on Multiple Streams of Income?

    I DO need an immediate income, so would it be best to build my own product, affiliate sites, a service, etc., etc. all at the same time -- or focus on one thing only til I succeed in that?
    Focus on ONE thing at a time... PERIOD!

    CPA offers are good, since you don't have to actually sell anything to get paid...

    OR:

    A high converting affiliate offer...

    Either way, you need traffic, and tons of it.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3154915].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Caleb Spilchen
    I like the poster who saaid watch for the course, which is not only funny that she told her to follow tiff, but because part of the course is going to be her telling her mom the action steps.



    Caleb

    Ps posted via blackberry - sorry for spelling and stuff
    Signature

    Canadian Expat Living in Medellin, Colombia

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3155295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gunedat
    Focus, focus, focus.

    Focus until you can outsource. Only then diversify. This is based on my experience.
    Signature
    I Should Put A Sig Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3155756].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bjgran
      Originally Posted by sarahberra View Post

      Follow Tiffany Dow!!! She recommends that newbies get involved with multiple things. Check out her videos on youtube. She is also coming out with a course for newbies. I can't wait to check that out!!
      Hey, Sarah: Thanks for the advice. I think I will follow Tiffany! LOL. Seriously, thanks for responding.

      Originally Posted by DireStraits View Post

      Dabbling in many different approaches at once will get you nowhere fast, I think.

      Most/all of the general business models discussed here work, and offer the potential of a full-time income and more. The "problem" is that there are nuances to each that cannot be fully realised, appreciated and pandered to until you've spent a sufficient amount of time learning about and implementing that particular approach. This usually takes a substantial amount of time in and of itself, but if you're unnecessarily dilluting your efforts and spreading (instead of concentrating) your focus, it's bound to take longer.

      In the past, I have jumped from one boat to another, learning the basics of various different traffic-generation and monetisation models, and I've never failed to make some money from each - but I never brought in anything consistent and reasonably substantial until I forced myself to stick with one overall approach.

      (As it happens, I'm now shifting my own focus elsewhere, but this is after mastering one approach, and making it work.)

      It's sometimes hard to identify what business model is likely to "suit you" without trying them out, though, because often the reality of what each takes when you're on the inside looking out, is in stark contrast to how it appeared from the outside looking in.

      So if you want to try skipping this process, read up about the ins and outs of various different business models, and take some time to talk with (and question) those who engage in them. Find out what their daily routines are, what they spend most of their time doing, and decide whether you'd be quite happy doing that.

      Then choose an approach and stick to it, forgetting about everything else until you've amassed enough knowledge, and undergone sufficient trial-and-error, as to have mastered it.
      Great advice. Thanks for responding.

      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      Both.

      You should start by focusing on something that will generate income. Once you get it up and kicking, turn your back on it and move to the next income stream. Check on it here and there, but don't keep tweaking and futzing about with it.

      You can waste your life messing around with a $5 a month income stream and trying to make it into $10 a month or even $20 a month. Don't. Get your income stream up, then turn around and get to work on another. Try to make the new one better.

      Because while futzing with your first stream would make you $10 a month, concentrating on a second one will add that same $10 a month to the existing $5 a month. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see how this adds up.
      Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      LOL

      I found this terribly funny, for reasons that should be obvious to the OP.
      I had to smile. Very reassuring!

      Originally Posted by AprilCT View Post

      It's a bit difficult to answer you because you have not mentioned what abilities you do possess. When you ask if you should write an ebook, I am assuming you can write and have some kind of special expertise to share.

      I'm not "seasoned" here myself, but assuming you have writing ability, you need a website with articles that help point to, and generate interest to sell your ebook. There's a great deal of information on the forums here that will give you specific tips on marketing your product.

      Continuing with the assumption that you can write, there are many article factories on the net that will pay up front for accepted articles -- some pay weekly, monthly, etc. Warriors need articles here as well, so writing PLR for sale is also a possibility once you and your work become better known.

      Personally, I lean toward more than just one method at a time -- but whatever you choose, it should all be related, such as writing, so you don't find yourself totally overwhelmed with more than you can handle. Take things slow enough to establish yourself the right way the first time.

      Can you give some examples of what you already know how to do? That might assist the posters here with suggestions that pertain more specifically to your abilities and question.
      I do have writing abilities and am involved in ghostwriting as of now. Just trying to learn the Internet Marketing business. I do have a problem with being overwhelmed if too much is presented all at once. Thanks for the advice.

      Originally Posted by Diane S View Post

      LOL! I think she followed Tiffany around for quite a few years, as she learned to crawl, then walk......the OP is Tiffany's mom! Welcome, Beverly!

      Immediate income? Offer article writing in the warriors for hire section. Or learn one task here at WF, then go offer to do it for others at fiverr.com
      LOL. You're right, Diane, I did follow her all over the place. Thanks for the welcome and the good advice.

      Originally Posted by Keithsco View Post

      Proponents and dissidents of both sides of the argument exist of course but, My 2 cents says, if you need IMMEDIATE income don't look to Internet marketing to get it

      What I see is a lot of people buying into the get rich quick mentality that is plastered all over the net. To my mind it does not exist. If it did this forum would probably not exist because we would all just do that instead

      If you read a lot of the threads here they contain ample opinion about working long and hard at one thing to get a result.

      Although - having said all of the above the WSO sales seem to reap a lot in a small amount of time if you know what you are doing. Even a short report @ $7.00 and 20 sales is $120.00 profit after costs -so maybe your best bet is to join the War room, become known for a little while, offer value in your posts, gain trust and network, and figure out some exploit no one has heard of, write the ebook and sell it off as a WSO

      Idk . . just throwing out the idea here . . . .
      Thanks. I am doing some ghostwriting now for income and that's helping immensely!

      Originally Posted by Kevin_Hutto View Post

      If you need immediate income, you need to get a job. Don't let slick sales pages and discussion forum posters fool you. Starting a business is hard work that takes time, knowledge and a lot of elbow grease. It will not yield an immediate income for you. But, it can yield a great income over time as you learn and implement. So, for your immediate needs, do something that will pay you for sure.

      -- Kevin
      Hey, Kevin. I do have a source of income right now, but IM is fascinating to me and I'm anxious to get going!

      Originally Posted by spudnick View Post

      From my experience the best thing for a complete newbie to do is have a bit of a go at most things that are cheap to undertake. I would not blow $1,000's of dollars on PPC, but trying out article marketing, affiliate sales sites e.t.c would be beneficial. This is so you can learn what this game is all about, and decide where you think your skills and interests best sit.

      Once you have tried a few things out (perhaps over 12 months part-time or 3 months full time) it is time to choose 1 or two things to focus exclusively on. this is important. You need to get to the point where you have worked out what business you want to be in, and focus like a laser to achieve your goals. Otherwise, you will spin your wheels and never really achieve anything.

      This year I have chosen two business models to pursue, one of which is creating exceptionally high quality PLR content for other marketers.

      By the way, make sure you focus at least 50% of your time in the beginning on learning how to drive traffic. This is the most important skill you can possibly have.

      Actually, I would venture to say (depending on the exact business model you end up running with long term) that you should spend 80%+ of you time learning this valuable skill.

      Just my 2 cents.

      Spudnick
      I think your 2 cents is worth a lot! Investing a little is so necessary to achieve almost any success.

      Originally Posted by joshualum View Post

      ONE THING!

      1. Do not get distracted by all the different ways to make money online.

      2. Find one that you understand and you are comfortable with.

      3. Start getting things done.

      (There can never be enough reading of guru's blogs, emails, ebooks and what have you)

      Create a blog, monetize the blog, drive traffic to your blog. Do things little by little and you will see results.
      LOVE step-by-step instructions. Thanks so much!

      Originally Posted by Caleb Spilchen View Post

      I like the poster who saaid watch for the course, which is not only funny that she told her to follow tiff, but because part of the course is going to be her telling her mom the action steps.



      Caleb

      Ps posted via blackberry - sorry for spelling and stuff
      Hey, Caleb: Yep, I smiled with pride at that poster's comment. I just want to do a good job and know what's needed out there. You've all given me things to mull over in my mind. Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3155873].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jonibravo
    Earning income immediately is difficult. It will take some time to establish yourself in internet world. Try finding out ways to get income as soon possible. But dont be so much crazy to have immediate internet income. Also try to get help from warriors.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3155880].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bjgran
    Thanks to everyone for the responses!!!
    Lots to think about and work on. You've all given me great advice, which I desperately need right now. Thanks again, so much.
    I'll be back!!!
    Beverly
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3155898].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Carter
    You said you need money now, if that is the case I would laser focus in on providing a service. Making your own product takes time and skills such as copy writing, not your best option if you are strapped for cash.

    If you are really hurting for money, I would go get a job and work on the service business online while you are earning real money in the real world.

    While you can make great money on the internet, it isn't a miracle worker, and it may take you some time to learn what you are doing and to get your income rolling along.

    Later,
    Jason
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3155956].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author werna klue
    When I started I had major infoformation overload. I kept jumping around and not actually DOING anything. This in return is a BIG MISTAKE, because it is important to take action.
    When starting in IM it can be really overwhelming to learn and grasp all the concepts of how this business works.

    I would suggest focus on 1 thing,complete it and then go onto the next.

    Werna
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3156187].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author esmconcepts
      Hi Beverly,
      I have seen your video on Tiff's site. She will be a great help for you when you have a question.
      As for finding your own personal niches; when you worked before, what would people ask you for help with? Did you have a special skill that was beneficial to others? What did you daydream about when you where working? This might be a special interest you could expand on.
      As many others have said, focus on getting one niche job done at a time. Create a master list of the step you use, the plugin's/ widgets that benefit your site, and the steps you perform to get the sites niche market up and running. This will help you track what do and does not work as you expand to new ideas later.
      As I know that Tiff does keep an eye on the current new products and ideas that come up, do the same and you might find on that catches your interest. Brainstorm it and see if you can expand on it.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3156486].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Devid Farah
      Hi Beverly,

      Your question is very difficult to answer. On one side of the coin, I would encourage people who are new to Internet Marketing to focus on one project. The reason is I say that is because working on one project is the best way to build your skill, knowledge, and overall effectiveness as an internet marketer. Also working on one project will allow you to make mistakes and clearly see what they are.

      On the other side of the equation, working on multiple projects is the path to making you a lot of money in the long run. One of the biggest regrets that many successful Internet Marketers have is that they built only one website that made six figures a year instead of building five.

      It all depends on how fast you want to learn versus how fast you want to make money. If you really want to get a good, solid grasp on internet marketing then it would be very beneficial to work on just one project at a time in the beginning. If you want to start making money as soon as possible, then the more projects you have going the better.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3156493].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bless
        Here's a great way to do both, in my opinion: Build wordpress websites in a lot of different markets targeting low competition keywords (and markets).

        This is what I'm doing, and I'm really only doing ONE thing (building sites),
        but at the same time I get multiple streams of income.

        For me I have found it's the best model.
        Signature
        Your Own Sales Boosting List Building Video in 48 Hours! Sell 750% More. Click Here to Find Out How!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3156523].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Benjamin
    "I'm like a horse without the blinders. I can see my surrounding
    as I race around the track...but the moment I lose sight of the
    goal -- to reach the finish line -- to focus on racing ANOTHER
    horse before the other had a chance to win...ultimately, you
    lost both races".


    If you have yet to win ONE race, what makes you think you
    can win two?...why not focus on winning ONE, winning the
    next, and winning the next? it's easier that way -- but most
    people are caught up in the false idea that money is LOST if
    you don't do more all at once.

    They use TIME as a reason for doing more. But fail to realize
    they're doing "less".

    Multiple streams of income does NOT literally mean -- doing
    multiple things at one time. You will set yourself up for failure,
    and rather you learn it from me or through my experience or
    your own...either way:

    you can't say I never told you so.

    Goodluck OP.
    Signature
    **How I FLIPPED $80 into $690 Pure Profit With ONE EASY Method...2 to 3x Per Week...Only 30 Minutes Per Day (and how YOU can COPY my RESULTS, too!) **CLICK HERE FOR VERIFIED VIDEO PROOF**
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3156835].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WD Mino
    Hi Bev,

    O.K. a ton of great responses as expected.
    I will add a bit of a different spin.

    Sit down and write a business plan of where you are and where you want to be and what you need to do to accomplish that.
    For immediate income offer your writing services as a wso or classified ad. while working for those clients, take some time each day and build your business.

    I personally think you should be a product creator you have a vast knowledge on a number of subjects the quality would be fantastic and you could very easily dominate like your daughter.

    Never get overwhelmed just take it one step at a time you will do well not because of who your daughter is but because of who you are.

    You have an obvious experience in life and business and that is what will propel you just like a speed boat needs a motor to be propelled through the water.

    One step at a time line upon line precept upon precept you will do well!
    You are not tiffany and tiffany is not you let's be clear that just because Tiff has knowledge in some things doesn't mean you need to follow that pattern you can do your own thing and be successful because of the quality YOU offer not tiff.you then can do a product together and crush it!
    cheers
    -Will
    Signature

    "As a man thinks in his heart so is he-Proverbs 23:7"
    Coming Soon http://graphicsdon.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3156879].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bjgran
      Originally Posted by WD Mino View Post

      Hi Bev,

      O.K. a ton of great responses as expected.
      I will add a bit of a different spin.

      Sit down and write a business plan of where you are and where you want to be and what you need to do to accomplish that.
      For immediate income offer your writing services as a wso or classified ad. while working for those clients, take some time each day and build your business.

      I personally think you should be a product creator you have a vast knowledge on a number of subjects the quality would be fantastic and you could very easily dominate like your daughter.

      Never get overwhelmed just take it one step at a time you will do well not because of who your daughter is but because of who you are.

      You have an obvious experience in life and business and that is what will propel you just like a speed boat needs a motor to be propelled through the water.

      One step at a time line upon line precept upon precept you will do well!
      You are not tiffany and tiffany is not you let's be clear that just because Tiff has knowledge in some things doesn't mean you need to follow that pattern you can do your own thing and be successful because of the quality YOU offer not tiff.you then can do a product together and crush it!
      cheers
      -Will
      WILL!
      You are the MAN of the day! A business plan! Why didn't I think of that?
      I know it sounds simple, but I'm from the old school where a man always did that for me. Never in my life have I sat down and figured out what I need and what I need to do to get there -- financially, I mean. And, I've never had my own business, until now.
      Tiffany is giving me instructions on how to build my business, but I need to figure out just how far I want/need to take it to accomplish my goals.
      I never learned spread sheets, but perhaps I'd better try.
      Is there another program or something (like one of those checkbook-type of things) that you'd recommend?
      Your advice was like a lightbulb going on over my head. Thanks so much!
      Beverly
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3157467].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WD Mino
        Originally Posted by bjgran View Post

        WILL!
        You are the MAN of the day! A business plan! Why didn't I think of that?
        I know it sounds simple, but I'm from the old school where a man always did that for me. Never in my life have I sat down and figured out what I need and what I need to do to get there -- financially, I mean. And, I've never had my own business, until now.
        Tiffany is giving me instructions on how to build my business, but I need to figure out just how far I want/need to take it to accomplish my goals.
        I never learned spread sheets, but perhaps I'd better try.
        Is there another program or something (like one of those checkbook-type of things) that you'd recommend?
        Your advice was like a lightbulb going on over my head. Thanks so much!
        Beverly
        Hi Bev,

        I actually write my stuff down rather then using a program that way I can open up my notes and complete the tasks online without switching back and forth between windows.

        having said that I think excel is a good program for spreadsheets etc you could go to http://openoffice.org and download the full suite which gives you pretty well everything you need it is the same as Microsoft office and will do the job.

        I look forward to seeing you succeed
        cheers
        -Will
        Signature

        "As a man thinks in his heart so is he-Proverbs 23:7"
        Coming Soon http://graphicsdon.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3157518].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave braithwaite
    just concentrate on learning one thing at a time and doing it well if you try to do too much you will suffer information overload and end up doing nothing well at all
    Signature
    >>>>DAVE BRAITHWAITE<<<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3156924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KristofferIM
    I don't think there is any right or wrong answer to this question so I'll just tell you how I do it. I start with one method only. I make that work and automate it as much as possible. When I come to the point where everything is just maintainence to keep the method going I start new one and apply the same process.

    I guess the lesson is, start with one method and add more as you go along and free up time. This way you can stay focused on what you are doing and diversify your income streams at the same time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3156935].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brandony
    Focus on getting 1 thing up and running, and then you can always add to it. It's tough not to want to run-off in 20 different directions when you don't know where to go. Find someone you trust here at WF and befriend them somehow. Have them point you in right direction.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3156956].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author makingiants
    You can either act like a fox, who's focus is all over the place.
    He never focuses on just one thing. He focuses on many things
    at once.

    Or...

    You can act like a hedgehog, who has a laser beam focus on
    JUST ONE THING.

    If you can help it, I recommend that you focus one one thing, but
    keep your focus open to doing other things as well.

    If you do 10 things and 8 fail, you at least have 2 that have some success.
    Then, it may only be a matter of scaling that success upward.

    May you get the success we all crave in 2011!

    Vince aka makingiants

    P.S. Whatever you do, build a list from your efforts.
    It simplifies everything else you do later on!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3156988].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Margo Tuul
    Hey,


    More people you follow...more products you end up buying. Fact!

    More products you buy...more confused you are. Trust me! Or if i follow Frank Kern...will i be a millionaire like he is? I don't think so.


    Stay alone...learn alone...

    Focus on 1 thing...get it done, move on. Get it done...move on.

    margo
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3157011].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bigpoppa3
    It has been said that focus is the key to any new endeavor. So I would suggest that you focus your activites in one area and stick it out to you get to that "Expert" level. Or better yet, it has been second nature to you. Also, start out focusing on what you like to do and what you enjoy doing. Wishing you success!!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3157414].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andrew Rodney
    Focus on one stream of income at a time.After you get it going start next one and so on.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3157816].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fitzwise
    Start out with one untill you get comfortable doing what you are doing than move on to the next project. don't sprend youself too thin.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3157949].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Carol_A
    I LOVE to multi-task. I mean, I can start making a cup of coffee . . . and before it finishes (2 min. microwave) . . . I can

    Boot my computer
    Get dressed
    Go to the bathroom
    Feed the birds outside
    Give the dog fresh water

    . . . and be walking up to the microwave as it beeps! (2 min.)

    I say, if your brain can wrap around it, and you have Tiffany as a coach, GO FOR IT!

    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3178370].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WD Mino
      Originally Posted by Carol_A View Post

      I LOVE to multi-task. I mean, I can start making a cup of coffee . . . and before it finishes (2 min. microwave) . . . I can

      Boot my computer
      Get dressed
      Go to the bathroom
      Feed the birds outside
      Give the dog fresh water

      . . . and be walking up to the microwave as it beeps! (2 min.)

      I say, if your brain can wrap around it, and you have Tiffany as a coach, GO FOR IT!

      This made my head spin :p

      Here is some humor;"New WSO Yes now you too can discover the secrets of the gurus and how to get your product created get the kids dressed fed and off to school and be home in time for the first coffee of the day for 59.95 you can become the multi task guru:p:p:p

      That is great
      -Will
      Signature

      "As a man thinks in his heart so is he-Proverbs 23:7"
      Coming Soon http://graphicsdon.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3178749].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Carol_A
    WD Mino: LOL, literally!

    I bought a kitchen timer (yes, the old timey kind that "dings") in order to stay focused and goal-oriented for the day, but for the LIFE of me, I cannot make myself turn off my auto email delivery and only check twice a day at designated times. lol

    Beverly, if you can set up multiple streams of income all at once and watch them each steadily grow as you do, more power to ya!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3178828].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HumbleWarrior
      Wow!! What an interesting conversation! Every point mentioned here is valid. You don't want to spread yourself too thin, but at the same time, not every approach works for everybody. What is the best thing to do?

      My best guess is that it depends on your individual situation (as it did mine), and there is no easy answer to this question.

      Research and read ...and read. New information will take you in new directions you never even thought of. Where you will end up is almost never the same place you planned on in the beginning, just try to enjoy the journey. :rolleyes:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3178973].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jess Heng
    I would suggest focusing on one thing at a time. You won't be able to give your max. effort and energy if you have many to work on. Test out different methods to get that one thing working, but give each method sufficient time before you conclude whether it really works. When you have found the method that gives the result you want, continue to it until it stops giving you your desire result.

    Remember, people fail but system works! Adopting a system that works is half the battle won.

    All the best to your success!







    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3179064].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author giogio
    I think start with something like "The Challenge" or Affiloblueprint2.0 would really build a solid foundation.Then maybe you can choose what you prefer after that.It's so easy to get information overload at the beginning.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3366287].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BudgetSEO
    Focus on 1 big thing religiously and shift focus to alternative things without forgetting the base needs more attention
    Signature
    Let me Secure your wordpress website for the price of a small Pizza
    Weather Balloons Election Supplies
    If you need the ''cheapest'' quote, don't waste your time contacting me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3366293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paulie888
    I'd definitely focus on one system first until you see results. Once you get the hang of it and can consistently produce results with it, then you can move on to the next method. For a newbie, I think it'd be overwhelming to try to multitask and get good at several things all at the same time - it'll more than likely result in being overwhelmed and distracted, with the end result that very little, if anything, gets done.
    Signature
    >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3366323].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Doug Wakefield
      It really depends on your course of action.

      Knowing that you are doing things that are all closely related, I would keep that up.

      For example, for those who don't know, she is doing:

      Ghostwriting
      Creating PLR article packs to sell
      Writing articles and reviews to promote affiliate products

      With these all being related there is no harm at all.

      I have one form of income now since I have let my affiliate sites decay a bit. I am about to start working back into those areas, and possibly in a way that benefits my other streams... and can form future streams.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3366357].message }}
  • One niche. One money site. And lots of seo.
    Signature

    PM Me Now!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3366465].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andrea Wilson
    I will recommend that you focus on one task at a time. You will be more motivated to work on if you are already earning whatever amount that is. But you should never stop yourself from learning new things though as it can give you more ideas for your next project online.

    Andrea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3366533].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anthony Scorza
      Scatterred focus!

      I don't think I've made that up i'm sure I read about it somewhere.

      To my mind the answer to the question depends on who you are.

      I've now got 7 hours a day to devote to IM. Whilst I hear what people are saying about choosing one thing and sticking with it, I know that I would get bored if I tried to focus on one thing for 7 hours and would probably end up getting nothing productive done while my mind wandered around trying to think about anything but the task in hand.

      So I'll pursue 3 avenues by really focusing 100% on each of them for 2 hour bursts a day. So 2 hours on one project, 20 minute break browising forums checking emails etc, then 2 hours on another project and so on.

      Obviously not the right approach for many but it works for me and I enjoy doing things this way, and it's supposed to be fun right?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3366609].message }}

Trending Topics