I am reading everywhere, "money is in the list", ais only way to make money in IM.
Making list has some issues for me: Those who are expert can share something that I might be missing.
1. You have to have auto responder like aweber is only one that best. Minimum to start out with is $19 a month =$228 a year. Many new folks can not afford it and those who can afford it might have other issue like below.
2. You have to offer something free, entice them, make landing page, new domain names, ebooks or plr rights or something to sign them up. Cost of creating these "free" giveaways can add up.
3. The biggest problem I see, is let suppose you want to sell them your products or aff products, the list might be not targeted as everyone want free stuff. If you send too many emails, you will be considered spammers, if you send too little, you will not make money. Finding out right amount can take many tweaks and wastage of time.
4. List building requires often weeding out current customers, who bought, some on fence and some who will never buy from you, often to make sure you are sending it to right people, at right time with right information.
5. List building can take time and trust to be build by your readers, clients who may buy whatever you say.
I am all for building relationship and sending emails and greeting cards in real life but I like my online business to come, read info, click and buy what I offer if they like it. They do not need to be my friends to benefit from me or vice versa.
I do not mind creating authority site (one) where I can be known, share my real name and glory of it of ego boost but rest of niches I like to fly under the radar.