I know that a lot of people here use Wordpress and often ask what are the best plugins to use, so I wrote this up figuring it would be useful to many. Plus, it's an easy post for me to make for my blog that can hopefully generate some SEO love and link bait .
After reading this, please tell us - what plugins do you use that are not included here?:
1. Akismet - no explanation needed, best plugin to manage Spam.
2. Audio player - allows you to add a streaming audio player to your posts and stream audio from your server.
3. Contact Form 7 - gives you a professional looking contact form that lets you customize the input fields. It's much better than putting your email address on your site for all the spam bots to pick up.
4. Customize Meta Widget - enables you to remove the default Wordpress.com links from your Meta Widget and replace them with your own links.
5. Dagon Design Sitemap Generator - makes a quick and easy sitemap for your site. Not an XML sitemap, but one that visitors to your site can navigate. Good for SEO purposes.
6. Date Exclusion - I'm not a full fledged blogger (yet) so I use this plugin to remove the dates so my posts don't appear dated or too infrequent. First impressions are important.
7. Digi List Builder - building a list is still one of the most important functions of my sites because a list gurantees future free traffic on demand. This plugin enables you to place strategic opt-in forms on your blog integrated with your favorite autoresponder service.
8. Flexi Pages Widget - honestly, I’m don’t even remember installing this one LOL. Here’s what it says it does - “a highly configurable WordPress sidebar widget to list pages and sub-pages. User friendly widget control comes with various options.”
9. GoCodes - makes it easy for me to cloak links and get some basic stats on them. You can also go back and edit the links later if needed. Plus, people that know you are more likely to click a link from your root domain than they are a bit.ly or tinyurl link. GoPages by my buddy Sean McAlister is an even better one to use though because it also offers iframes.
10. Google Sitemap Generator - creates a sitemap for your blog that you can submit to Google Webmaster Tools & similar sites to help the search engines index all of your blog content.
11. Max Blog Favicon - lets you use an image of your choice as little favicon image that displays in the browser address bar. Adds a nice touch I think, even though my favicon is kinda corny.
12. Onlywire Autoposter Plugin - automatically adds your post to the social bookmarking sites using Onlywire.com.
13. Platinum SEO Pack - the upgrade to the old “All in One SEO” plugin. Does all types of geeky SEO stuff that’s good for your site - optimizes post and page titles, 301 redirects for changed permalinks, set separate meta tags for certain pages, etc. - too much to list here.
14. SEO Friendly Images - automatically adds alt and title attributes to all your images. This is significant for SEO purposes and super convenient because I'm too lazy to remember to put alt-tags on each image.
15. SexyBookmarks (by Shareaholic) - I love the way it looks compare to other social media plugins
16. StatPress Reloaded - gives you some basic stats on your blog performance on the fly without having to login to CPanel or Google Analytics. Not a replacement for those two, but it is convenient to have.
17. Stream Video Player - allows me to stream videos from my server right on my blog
18. WP-PageNavi - adds a more advanced paging navigation to your WordPress blog. The guy who customized my blog added this. I’m really not sure how it differs from Yoast Bread Crumbs below.
19. WP Auto Tagger - it automatically add relevant tags to your posts so you don’t have to waste time adding tags each time you make a post. Good for SEO purposes and saves you time.
20.. Yoast Breadcrumbs - outputs a fully customizable breadcrumb path. It makes navigation of your site easier for visitors.
Soon to Add:
- EzineArticles Plugin - automatically posts your blog articles to EzineArticles.com if you choose to.
- AutoTweet Plugin - automatically tweets your post title on Twitter with a link back to your blog.
- W3 total Cache - W3 Total Cache – improves the user experience of your site by improving your server performance, caching every aspect of your site, reducing the download times and providing transparent content delivery network (CDN) integration. A good thing to have when you’re using a lot of plugins because they slow down your site’s performance.