Does This Type of Coaching Exist in the IM world?

25 replies
Hey Warriors,

I wanted to know if anyone has ever been offered or presented with a coaching program where you work alongside the teacher to bring in earnings.

For example a course on product creation. After creating the product the teacher launches it with you...as a JV possible. Marketing to his/her list.

Anyone every encounter this type of coaching approach?
#coaching #exist #type #world
  • Profile picture of the author WD Mino
    This does happen if you have a good coach Ryan,
    The thing is that people sign up for coaching and sometimes expect the coach to run their business that is not what I would consider a good coaching risk.

    I know some guys who do coaching and they have promoted for the students as well but there is usually a requirement of the student doing their own leg work and promoting themselves as well
    cheers
    -Will
    Signature

    "As a man thinks in his heart so is he-Proverbs 23:7"
    Coming Soon http://graphicsdon.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3189034].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shabit87
      Originally Posted by WD Mino View Post

      This does happen if you have a good coach Ryan,
      The thing is that people sign up for coaching and sometimes expect the coach to run their business that is not what I would consider a good coaching risk.

      I know some guys who do coaching and they have promoted for the students as well but there is usually a requirement of the student doing their own leg work and promoting themselves as well
      cheers
      -Will
      Yeah, I see a lot of that Will, people wanting the work to be done for them. In that case they're better off buying a service than coaching. Great point!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3189364].message }}
    • Yes it's a tricky one. I've thought about this before, but then I guess if you are the coach working along someone and doing a lot of the work, you may as well be a lone partner. I guess it depends what is in it for the coach. Possibly offering quality knowledge, but not doing too much of the work and splitting profits 50/50 could make it worth it I guess.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3195443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seo99
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3189055].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WD Mino
      Originally Posted by seo99 View Post

      yes, i have seen that i have done that for many people on there own. The thing is no suppect your coach to just earn you money and run your website and make you moeny. The point of a couch is to teach you not to make moeny from the coach.
      Ermm What exactly are you saying here ?:confused:
      Signature

      "As a man thinks in his heart so is he-Proverbs 23:7"
      Coming Soon http://graphicsdon.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3189064].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author zoeguy
        @shabit87, you might want to look into Success Chef by Michel and Sylvie Fortin. I have no first hand information but I recently watched a video about what they are doing and it sounds exactly like what you are looking for, some excerpts:

        "We cannot any longer call ourselves teachers unless we have done everything within our power to make it possible for our students to learn and adapt and build and implement. We have to make it possible. It’s no longer good enough for us to stand on the stage and say, “Now go take
        action.”

        "That’s not good enough anymore, because you can’t call yourself a teacher; you can only call yourself a salesman, because all you’ve done at that point is sold them something."

        "It dawned on me that when chefs go to cooking school, they don’t sit in a classroom, staring at cookbooks and writing notes in the margins for two years. They actually get in the kitchen. They get involved.

        "The executive chef may guide the students. He may say, “Well, today we’re going to work on doing deli platters.” But he’s actually involved in the actual work involved in getting the ingredients, organizing them, talking about seasonings, how much salt should and should not be added."

        "This is the broad overview. Our new model is going to work like this. When we begin what we’re calling a Success Chef test kitchen lab, this is where we’re going to actually, from start to finish, build a real business, from the beginning to the end, including marketing steps, and including the actual making money with that particular business. We’re going to do it from beginning to end with our students, with active participation, with actual share in the workload, share in the profits, and share in the experiences together."
        This is a two year old thread @ Success Chef (link@post #11):
        http://www.warriorforum.com/internet...n-yay-nay.html

        Another about Michel Fortin's Marketing ESP:
        http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-...ot-niches.html
        Signature
        My two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3189471].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author OutOfThisWord
          Shabs... it it seems to good to be true.. it is.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3189481].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author zoeguy
            Originally Posted by OutOfThisWord View Post

            Shabs... it it seems to good to be true.. it is.
            Links posted are not affiliate links, nor am I an affiliate for the Fortin's.
            Signature
            My two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3189635].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author paulie888
          Originally Posted by zoeguy View Post

          @shabit87, you might want to look into Success Chef by Michel and Sylvie Fortin. I have no first hand information but I recently watched a video about what they are doing and it sounds exactly like what you are looking for, some excerpts:

          This is a two year old thread @ Success Chef (link@post #11):
          http://www.warriorforum.com/internet...n-yay-nay.html

          Another about Michel Fortin's Marketing ESP:
          http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-...ot-niches.html
          Thanks for sharing this, it looks pretty legitimate. Real coaching programs with a revenue sharing program are pretty hard to come by, simply because it'd require a lot of work and commitment from both parties (the teacher and the student), and they'd have to be fairly small by necessity for everything to function smoothly.
          Signature
          >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3190795].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author shabit87
            Originally Posted by paulie888 View Post

            Thanks for sharing this, it looks pretty legitimate. Real coaching programs with a revenue sharing program are pretty hard to come by, simply because it'd require a lot of work and commitment from both parties (the teacher and the student), and they'd have to be fairly small by necessity for everything to function smoothly.

            Come to think of it I think Tom...A...A something does this type of program with about half a dozen students out of his own house for two weeks.

            You're right, it'd have to be small and it would require a lot of work on both parties, but if the coach can deliver, I personally think its a win-win.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3191834].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MikeHumphreys
            Originally Posted by paulie888 View Post

            Thanks for sharing this, it looks pretty legitimate. Real coaching programs with a revenue sharing program are pretty hard to come by, simply because it'd require a lot of work and commitment from both parties (the teacher and the student), and they'd have to be fairly small by necessity for everything to function smoothly.
            I'm not currently enrolled in their coaching program but the Success Chef program is legit. Everything they do in the program is 100% clear & transparent.

            I don't want to let the cat out of the bag in terms of how their coaching program is structured but let's just say there's a way where the coaching class size doesn't have to be really small and everybody wins.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3194974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alcymart
    Originally Posted by shabit87 View Post

    Hey Warriors,

    I wanted to know if anyone has ever been offered or presented with a coaching program where you work alongside the teacher to bring in earnings.

    For example a course on product creation. After creating the product the teacher launches it with you...as a JV possible. Marketing to his/her list.

    Anyone every encounter this type of coaching approach?
    Well, no need to look far. I teach/coach, however it may not be of any interest to you since I form teachers who will eventually teach people how to succeed in an online business.

    If "teaching" is something you ever thought about and would Love to do, PM me and simply let me know you are interested in knowing more about my course. You can also apply for my courses.

    Take care,

    Bernard St-Pierre
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3189486].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shabit87
    Zoeguy, I appreciate you sharing with me, I didn't think for one sec that you were advertising in hopes to get some sort of commision. Your comment is apprecaited!

    Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3190022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    There are people that do offer this - but beware.....

    I've had several coaching clients come to me after paying several thousand dollars to well-known names for exactly this and not have it delivered.

    Their experience was along the lines of standard product creation advice and then no response to requests saying "ok, my product is ready can you please tell your list (like you said you would and bought this coaching because of)".

    So as always - there will be people ready to tell you this but make sure you know you can trust them to come through for you.
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3190800].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    Originally Posted by shabit87 View Post

    I wanted to know if anyone has ever been offered or presented with a coaching program where you work alongside the teacher to bring in earnings.
    They do this in copywriting rather frequently, but when I suggested this sort of deal last year people were very offended by it. I'd love to see whether opinions today are different.
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3195450].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shabit87
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      They do this in copywriting rather frequently, but when I suggested this sort of deal last year people were very offended by it. I'd love to see whether opinions today are different.
      Thats funny you said that, a copy writer I used once proposed he write a copy for me in exchange for some of the proceeds from sales...but of course he wouldn't be teaching me to write...not for this particular arrangement.

      He did however offer me a course for $400...which isn't bad I guess considering I like his work and he's good. Wonder how good a teacher he is...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3195462].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulie888
        Originally Posted by shabit87 View Post

        Thats funny you said that, a copy writer I used once proposed he write a copy for me in exchange for some of the proceeds from sales...but of course he wouldn't be teaching me to write...not for this particular arrangement.

        He did however offer me a course for $400...which isn't bad I guess considering I like his work and he's good. Wonder how good a teacher he is...
        You'll find coaching programs to be commonplace, but coming across one where the coaches will share revenue with you on a joint venture is pretty hard to come by, simply because that entails a lot of work and time invested - imagine if you were working on this type of a coaching program with 30-50 students. All your time would be taken up with coaching and helping the students with their joint venture projects!

        It really wouldn't be worth the huge investment of time and effort on the part of the coach unless he or she charges a massive upfront fee for the coaching, because there won't be much time to work on anything else during the time that the coaching class is in session.
        Signature
        >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3196446].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author shabit87
          Originally Posted by paulie888 View Post

          It really wouldn't be worth the huge investment of time and effort on the part of the coach unless he or she charges a massive upfront fee for the coaching, because there won't be much time to work on anything else during the time that the coaching class is in session.
          You do have a point, but I'm sure there is a way to create a win win atmosphere. Maybe your student has incredible knowledge on a particular subject and can contribute a lot more than you'd find outsourcing to someone simply doing research.

          THe split doesn't have to be 50/50. Maybe the coaching fee could just pay for itself after the launch.

          The coach has a grade A product developed by a person with expierence and the student has actually learned to created and properly market a product...hopefully even had the pleasure of building his own list.

          I'm not saying this type of coaching would be easy, but I do believe it could be equally beneficial for both parties if applied correctly.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3196466].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author paulie888
            Originally Posted by shabit87 View Post

            You do have a point, but I'm sure there is a way to create a win win atmosphere. Maybe your student has incredible knowledge on a particular subject and can contribute a lot more than you'd find outsourcing to someone simply doing research.

            THe split doesn't have to be 50/50. Maybe the coaching fee could just pay for itself after the launch.

            The coach has a grade A product developed by a person with expierence and the student has actually learned to created and properly market a product...hopefully even had the pleasure of building his own list.

            I'm not saying this type of coaching would be easy, but I do believe it could be equally beneficial for both parties if applied correctly.
            I'm sure that there'd be a way to structure this coaching program where everyone wins as you've described, but looking at the scarcity of such programs on the market, I'm fairly sure that it is far from easy to pull off.

            The scenario you described would only work if the coach very carefully vetted and analyzed the quality/experience/skills of his prospects.
            Signature
            >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3196507].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author shabit87
              Originally Posted by paulie888 View Post

              I'm sure that there'd be a way to structure this coaching program where everyone wins as you've described, but looking at the scarcity of such programs on the market, I'm fairly sure that it is far from easy to pull off.

              The scenario you described would only work if the coach very carefully vetted and analyzed the quality/experience/skills of his prospects.
              Yes...it'd almost be like applying to an elite school it seems.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3196538].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author paulie888
                Originally Posted by shabit87 View Post

                Yes...it'd almost be like applying to an elite school it seems.
                Definitely, and that would be one of the few scenarios where it'd be worth the coach's time and effort to implement a massive project like this.
                Signature
                >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3196560].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author activetrader
                  Originally Posted by paulie888 View Post

                  Definitely, and that would be one of the few scenarios where it'd be worth the coach's time and effort to implement a massive project like this.
                  I agree.... developing a top notch product can take a weekend if you know what you are doing; coaching someone takes months... and after that you are talking revenue split... I personally wouldn't do it but maybe there is someone out there who would.
                  Signature

                  Me

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3196572].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author paulie888
                    Originally Posted by activetrader View Post

                    I agree.... developing a top notch product can take a weekend if you know what you are doing; coaching someone takes months... and after that you are talking revenue split... I personally wouldn't do it but maybe there is someone out there who would.
                    I don't doubt the huge investment of time needed for a project like this, but in the perfect scenario mentioned above, it'd hugely benefit the coach because even though he has to share revenue, remember that he is sharing revenue with multiple students on muliple products, and this would more than make up for the time invested and having to give up some of the profits, if his students were high-caliber people who did a lot of the heavy lifting for him.
                    Signature
                    >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3196611].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author activetrader
    Originally Posted by shabit87 View Post


    I wanted to know if anyone has ever been offered or presented with a coaching program where you work alongside the teacher to bring in earnings.
    I think IMO it's a double-edged sword; what's a coaching program? It's a way for the teacher to make money off of coaching. What's a product creation? It's another way to make money.

    So, let's say you create and launch a product utilizing entirely your own list and you make, let's say 50K in three months from that product.

    At the same time you have a student who has paid you 2,000 for coaching.

    Would it be worth to you to give your student $25K over a period of three months if he/she did some writing, editing, coding, etc. which you also took the time to teach them yourself?

    In my opinion I could do these things myself faster than I would teach someone; and I could do them cheaper if I wanted someone else do them.

    Making 2K for coaching and paying back 25K, and maybe getting some cheap labor for free doesn't sound like a good business model to me.

    I think unless it involves MLM and some sort of pyramid it isn't a good investment for the coach.

    On the other hand, if the coach makes pennies off of product creation, he probably would love to charge a few thousand to coach someone how to create a product which will eventually make maybe 1K gross. Split the profit - and they are still positive.

    See what I mean? If the product creator knows what they are doing, what is the point for them to coach someone and give away half of their profit when they can outsource the leg work to professionals who do not need the time to be coached and do an excellent job?
    Signature

    Me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3195529].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve MacLellan
    I think Bob Serling is offering some program/coaching offers along this line. Wouldn't hurt to ask him. His website is: Home

    Regards,
    Steve MacLellan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3196428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scott33
    Hi, thats the angle of most programs but it doesn't truly happen that way..

    the closest program I came across that does that is niche profit clasroom
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3196438].message }}

Trending Topics