MP3 Music Marketing: Can You Share Some Strategies?

31 replies
Happy New Year everyone!

I'm marketing a new pop record that has been released on MP3 and is available on all the major online stores. Can you share any ideas and strategies for marketing an MP3 pop single? What would YOU do to push sales?

Thanks,

Anthony
#marketing #mp3 #music #share #strategies
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    Try and come up with a catchy video you can use the song on and upload it to Youtube. Make it something uplifting that people want to share.

    Example: Free Hugs Campaign - 66,541,586 Youtube views

    The song in that video is by an Australian band called the Sick Puppies and this exposure got them a ton of new fans right around the world. They were even invited onto the Oprah show.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3233811].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tfos4941
    Youtube is deffinately going to be your best bet, I always then share my videos on facebook and get friends to do the same. I find I usually get alot of views doing this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3233827].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ShawnPeter
    Hi Anthony,

    Happy New Year to you too.

    Yes, video marketing is a brilliant idea. Set it up on Youtube and then on the other video sites like Vimeo, Daily Motion...etc.

    How about trying Twibbon:
    About Twibbon - Start Something - Twibbon.com

    Its a great way to market awareness of your cause. Its a combination of Twitter & FB Fanpage. Its a fast way to build supporters for your cause. Causes for business, charities, events...etc.

    You have a choice of setting up a FREE account to create your campaign or a Custom campaign for a 1 time fee of $99. Custom helps increase Twitter likes & Facebook followers and incresing traffic for your site.

    Here is an example of a Custom campaign:
    Dogs Trust Twibbon Case Study

    Cheers!
    Shawn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3233879].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lior1970
    Have you tried to market it through iTunes stores? Target targetted Facebook users by localizing the on a Fanpage and keep spreading the campaign to that fanpage.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3234094].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
      Originally Posted by lior1970 View Post

      Have you tried to market it through iTunes stores? Target targetted Facebook users by localizing the on a Fanpage and keep spreading the campaign to that fanpage.
      Hi, thanks for sharing. Yes, already on iTunes, Amazon MP3 and all the major MP3 download sites...got in there via Island Def Jam Digital Distribution. I'm not sure I quite follow your FB strategy here. You said "Target targetted Facebook users by localizing the on a Fanpage..." Would you care to explain? Thanks.
      Signature

      FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3234167].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
    Shawn, thanks for the link. I'm taking a closer look at that. And WillR, thanks for the video link. Fascinating. Thing is, there's no video for the product as yet. Still a few weeks down the line. But will bear this in mind. Thanks again.
    Signature

    FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3234172].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tropics
    hi
    it seem to popular to put videos on everywhere, not just youtube BUT be aware that there are online MP3 converters so people who are determined to rip off artists use them and convert any video into a mp3 files for free. So a way would be to release your track with a voice over a cople of times during the course of the video and also a voice only intro. this put the pirates off.

    Also get into the world of MusicCloud as this works better than myspace and is not just for eletronica as some might think
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3234193].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
    Hi Topics, interesting pointer there. Thanks.
    Signature

    FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3234890].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KatyaSenina
    Originally Posted by Anthony J Namata View Post

    Happy New Year everyone!

    I'm marketing a new pop record that has been released on MP3 and is available on all the major online stores. Can you share any ideas and strategies for marketing an MP3 pop single? What would YOU do to push sales?

    Thanks,

    Anthony

    I think Facebook, Myspace, video marketing, viral marketing, twitter would be your best bet. Care to share what pop record you're marketing?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3235098].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
      Originally Posted by KatyaSenina View Post

      I think Facebook, Myspace, video marketing, viral marketing, twitter would be your best bet. Care to share what pop record you're marketing?
      Thanks Katya, the pop record I'm marketing is here Joett music - Listen Free on Jango || Pictures, Videos, Albums, Bio, Fans
      Signature

      FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3235884].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillR
        Originally Posted by Orator View Post

        A press release can be a good way to get some attention. Depending on your budget you can submit it to PRwire, or just use free press release sites.
        Yeah? I'm not sure how much a press release for a new song/artist would really do these days... can you imagine how many new artists would be releasing new songs/albums every day of the week - all competing for attention?

        The trick here is to do something different from what all the others are doing. That's the only way you are going to get any decent amount of attention.

        Originally Posted by Anthony J Namata View Post

        And WillR, thanks for the video link. Fascinating. Thing is, there's no video for the product as yet. Still a few weeks down the line. But will bear this in mind. Thanks again.
        Of course there is no video yet. That is your job, to come up with some type of video that people will want to share. The video I posted was just one example of how this could be done.

        I just took a look at the song you want to promote and it's called I Could Never Live (Without Your Love). Dah! What is coming up in about 3-4 weeks time that has a heap to do about love? Valentines Day! This is perfect timing for you to get creative.

        I would look at coming up with some type of video for Valentines Day that could go viral and that has this song in it - not the whole song so people cannot download it.

        One idea I have is to go to a local shopping mall near where you live. Take a small whiteboard with you. On the whiteboard in marker write "I Could Never Live Without Your Love!" Go up to people and tell them you are putting together a Valentines video for youtube to promote your new song called I could never live without your love.

        Get people to write the name of someone they love on the white board above the song name and hold it up (make sure all the text is big enough that it will show up in the video). You then take a photo of them or a quick video of them holding the sign. I would also ask them for their email address so you can email them a link to the final video when it is complete.

        You then go back and create a video using all the photos or video footage and add your music track as the background music. Once it is ready you email a link to all the people who are in the video and they will naturally want to brag and start sharing it with their friends, family, and off it goes.

        I'm guessing people would share something that like. It's worth a try at least?! Either way I really think Valentines day would be a good opportunity for you to do something with this song - given it's love title.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3236658].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
          Originally Posted by WillR View Post

          Yeah? I'm not sure how much a press release for a new song/artist would really do these days... can you imagine how many new artists would be releasing new songs/albums every day of the week - all competing for attention?

          The trick here is to do something different from what all the others are doing. That's the only way you are going to get any decent amount of attention.



          Of course there is no video yet. That is your job, to come up with some type of video that people will want to share. The video I posted was just one example of how this could be done.

          I just took a look at the song you want to promote and it's called I Could Never Live (Without Your Love). Dah! What is coming up in about 3-4 weeks time that has a heap to do about love? Valentines Day! This is perfect timing for you to get creative.

          I would look at coming up with some type of video for Valentines Day that could go viral and that has this song in it - not the whole song so people cannot download it.

          One idea I have is to go to a local shopping mall near where you live. Take a small whiteboard with you. On the whiteboard in marker write "I Could Never Live Without Your Love!" Go up to people and tell them you are putting together a Valentines video for youtube to promote your new song called I could never live without your love.

          Get people to write the name of someone they love on the white board above the song name and hold it up (make sure all the text is big enough that it will show up in the video). You then take a photo of them or a quick video of them holding the sign. I would also ask them for their email address so you can email them a link to the final video when it is complete.

          You then go back and create a video using all the photos or video footage and add your music track as the background music. Once it is ready you email a link to all the people who are in the video and they will naturally want to brag and start sharing it with their friends, family, and off it goes.

          I'm guessing people would share something that like. It's worth a try at least?! Either way I really think Valentines day would be a good opportunity for you to do something with this song - given it's love title.
          WillR,

          You are a genius! I REALLY LOVE your idea. This is so powerful. Yes, I agree with you on the press release angle, it needs to be utterly unique to fly. I have something lined up to go out on PRWeb (I have an account). Haven't tried PRWire, but I was browsing the site the other day and discovered annual membership is $195. Not too sure what additional costs are involved here. PRWeb on the other hand charge a fee a pop. Maybe someone on WF can share their experience on this one. Is going with PRWire worth the trouble if I'm already doing PRWeb?

          The press release angle (I Hubpaged it) looks like this How a Vocal Coach in Remote African Location Produced Cutting Edge Pop Record via the Internet

          I will definitely piece together this video concept, it rocks! But tell me, in terms of timing, when would you recommend I shoot this video, before Valentines Day (so that it's online on the day) or on Valentine day itself?

          Thanks again,

          Anthony
          Signature

          FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3244611].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author WillR
            Originally Posted by Anthony J Namata View Post

            WillR,

            You are a genius! I REALLY LOVE your idea. This is so powerful. Yes, I agree with you on the press release angle, it needs to be utterly unique to fly. I have something lined up to go out on PRWeb (I have an account). Haven't tried PRWire, but I was browsing the site the other day and discovered annual membership is $195. Not too sure what additional costs are involved here. PRWeb on the other hand charge a fee a pop. Maybe someone on WF can share their experience on this one. Is going with PRWire worth the trouble if I'm already doing PRWeb?

            The press release angle (I Hubpaged it) looks like this How a Vocal Coach in Remote African Location Produced Cutting Edge Pop Record via the Internet

            I will definitely piece together this video concept, it rocks! But tell me, in terms of timing, when would you recommend I shoot this video, before Valentines Day (so that it's online on the day) or on Valentine day itself?

            Thanks again,

            Anthony
            Anthony,

            I would definitely get going with the video as soon as possible. You want to put it online maybe a day or two BEFORE Valentines Day (February 14th). I would think that should give the best results.

            It doesn't need to be a Hollywood type production or anything. In fact the less contrived it all looks the better it will probably go. Just make sure you try and get the email addresses of those people who are in it because that would be a great start to helping it go viral.

            In terms of press releases. I have used PR Web in the past. I have heard some good things about WebWire lately. There is no membership fee you just pay per release. But they have an option called 'Targeted Media Distribution' which is $95 per submission. This allows you to choose which news outlets to target.

            For example you would obviously target 'Music'. The press release then gets sent out to the editors of a whole range of magazines and publications, etc in that target market. And these are editors who have signed up to ask to have press releases sent to them.

            In regards to the press release itself. I think the title needs a little work. The title is the most important part of the press release. If no one gets hooked by the title then it won't get read by editors and it won't get published anywhere. I like the story you are trying to tell but I think the title could be a little punchier. At the moment the title kind of sounds like a headline you would find at the top of a Clickbank sales page.

            The other thing I noticed is that after the first paragraph talking about how you produced the record over the Internet, the rest of the press release is just talking about you and your record. It's not something I would see many magazines wanting to publish because it's a little too self promotional. I may be wrong. I would rather just see a bit more of your story in there.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3244893].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
              Originally Posted by WillR View Post

              Anthony,

              I would definitely get going with the video as soon as possible. You want to put it online maybe a day or two BEFORE Valentines Day (February 14th). I would think that should give the best results.

              It doesn't need to be a Hollywood type production or anything. In fact the less contrived it all looks the better it will probably go. Just make sure you try and get the email addresses of those people who are in it because that would be a great start to helping it go viral.

              In terms of press releases. I have used PR Web in the past. I have heard some good things about WebWire lately. There is no membership fee you just pay per release. But they have an option called 'Targeted Media Distribution' which is $95 per submission. This allows you to choose which news outlets to target.

              For example you would obviously target 'Music'. The press release then gets sent out to the editors of a whole range of magazines and publications, etc in that target market. And these are editors who have signed up to ask to have press releases sent to them.

              In regards to the press release itself. I think the title needs a little work. The title is the most important part of the press release. If no one gets hooked by the title then it won't get read by editors and it won't get published anywhere. I like the story you are trying to tell but I think the title could be a little punchier. At the moment the title kind of sounds like a headline you would find at the top of a Clickbank sales page.

              The other thing I noticed is that after the first paragraph talking about how you produced the record over the Internet, the rest of the press release is just talking about you and your record. It's not something I would see many magazines wanting to publish because it's a little too self promotional. I may be wrong. I would rather just see a bit more of your story in there.
              Will,

              Again thanks for the pointers. I will rework the title and rewrite the press release to focus more on the story. I think you do have a valid point. I'll show you the reworked version as soon as it's completed. Gotta put my thinking cap on now :-)

              Anthony
              Signature

              FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3244996].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
              Originally Posted by WillR View Post

              Anthony,

              In regards to the press release itself. I think the title needs a little work. The title is the most important part of the press release. If no one gets hooked by the title then it won't get read by editors and it won't get published anywhere. I like the story you are trying to tell but I think the title could be a little punchier. At the moment the title kind of sounds like a headline you would find at the top of a Clickbank sales page.

              The other thing I noticed is that after the first paragraph talking about how you produced the record over the Internet, the rest of the press release is just talking about you and your record. It's not something I would see many magazines wanting to publish because it's a little too self promotional. I may be wrong. I would rather just see a bit more of your story in there.
              WillR,

              Thanks for your advice here. You are the best. You opened my eyes. I've changed the (working) title and completely changed the content (to continue the story) from paragraph two downward. Long-Distance Music Production Dream Come True Breakthrough for Tanzanian Recording Artist

              Thanks again. I'm getting to work with the video shoot. Already spoken to a videographer about this, we have a meeting this weekend. I will also contact fans around the world to ask them to take a pick or shoot a video with the message to go on the video.

              Will keep you posted.

              Anthony
              Signature

              FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3260042].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author WillR
                Originally Posted by Anthony J Namata View Post

                WillR,

                Thanks for your advice here. You are the best. You opened my eyes. I've changed the (working) title and completely changed the content (to continue the story) from paragraph two downward. Long-Distance Music Production Dream Come True Breakthrough for Tanzanian Recording Artist

                Thanks again. I'm getting to work with the video shoot. Already spoken to a videographer about this, we have a meeting this weekend. I will also contact fans around the world to ask them to take a pick or shoot a video with the message to go on the video.

                Will keep you posted.

                Anthony
                Anthony,

                Looks good. Glad to see you taking action and getting things done. Incase I don't see this thread again, let me know via PM when the video is finished and I will also pass it around for you on Facebook. I have a few fanpages I can promote it on.

                Talk to you soon!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3263066].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
                  Originally Posted by WillR View Post

                  Anthony,

                  Looks good. Glad to see you taking action and getting things done. Incase I don't see this thread again, let me know via PM when the video is finished and I will also pass it around for you on Facebook. I have a few fanpages I can promote it on.

                  Talk to you soon!
                  Absolutely. When the video is out, you will be the first to know. And I'll appreciate the promo on your Facebook. I'll post it here AND PM you also. It is YOU who gave me this BRILLIANT idea. Thanks again.

                  Catch you later!
                  Signature

                  FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3273849].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tom E
          Brilliant idea. I will definitely take this idea and expand upon it. With a strong song, this one definitely has mass potential. Thanks again!

          Originally Posted by WillR View Post

          Yeah? I'm not sure how much a press release for a new song/artist would really do these days... can you imagine how many new artists would be releasing new songs/albums every day of the week - all competing for attention?

          The trick here is to do something different from what all the others are doing. That's the only way you are going to get any decent amount of attention.



          Of course there is no video yet. That is your job, to come up with some type of video that people will want to share. The video I posted was just one example of how this could be done.

          I just took a look at the song you want to promote and it's called I Could Never Live (Without Your Love). Dah! What is coming up in about 3-4 weeks time that has a heap to do about love? Valentines Day! This is perfect timing for you to get creative.

          I would look at coming up with some type of video for Valentines Day that could go viral and that has this song in it - not the whole song so people cannot download it.

          One idea I have is to go to a local shopping mall near where you live. Take a small whiteboard with you. On the whiteboard in marker write "I Could Never Live Without Your Love!" Go up to people and tell them you are putting together a Valentines video for youtube to promote your new song called I could never live without your love.

          Get people to write the name of someone they love on the white board above the song name and hold it up (make sure all the text is big enough that it will show up in the video). You then take a photo of them or a quick video of them holding the sign. I would also ask them for their email address so you can email them a link to the final video when it is complete.

          You then go back and create a video using all the photos or video footage and add your music track as the background music. Once it is ready you email a link to all the people who are in the video and they will naturally want to brag and start sharing it with their friends, family, and off it goes.

          I'm guessing people would share something that like. It's worth a try at least?! Either way I really think Valentines day would be a good opportunity for you to do something with this song - given it's love title.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3254413].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
            Originally Posted by gr8tocre8 View Post

            Brilliant idea. I will definitely take this idea and expand upon it. With a strong song, this one definitely has mass potential. Thanks again!
            Hi, are you in the music business? Tell me more.
            Signature

            FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3259984].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Orator
    A press release can be a good way to get some attention. Depending on your budget you can submit it to PRwire, or just use free press release sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3235111].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KatyaSenina
      Originally Posted by Orator View Post

      A press release can be a good way to get some attention. Depending on your budget you can submit it to PRwire, or just use free press release sites.
      Yeah, how can I forget about this, definitely some PR/media attention... that will do it.

      Also google Drew Gerber, this guy definitely knows how to get media publicity (Great way to get into the spotlight if you're marketing yourself)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3235123].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marketwarrior06
    Banned
    look video marketing is becoming very popular and you should take this opportunity. now a days people don't like reading reviews.so create a small video take 1/1.5 minutes of the song and describe the intro of the author, singer etc in 3/4 slides. that will be enough.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3235268].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author daangertenaar
    I love that video ''free hugs'' but like many others say try youtube!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3236670].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Hooper
    Hey, Anthony. I have a blog on the subject. Music Marketing [dot] com for that.

    Also, have a syndicated radio show that plays (and reviews) music people send in. David Hooper (davidhooper) on Twitter has the address, if you want to send me a CD. Make sure you send your URL, so we can give you a plug.

    Good luck!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3237103].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
      Originally Posted by David Hooper View Post

      Hey, Anthony. I have a blog on the subject. Music Marketing [dot] com for that.

      Also, have a syndicated radio show that plays (and reviews) music people send in. David Hooper (davidhooper) on Twitter has the address, if you want to send me a CD. Make sure you send your URL, so we can give you a plug.

      Good luck!!
      David,

      I sure love your blog. It is so informative and has some really useful tips. Keep up the great work. I will refer your blog to other musicians. They'd love this. And I just followed you on Twitter. Yes, I'd love to send you the MP3 via email (please PM your email). I can also send you a CD via the post next month...that's when the physical product is released -- at the minute we only have a digital release on iTunes, Amazon MP3, Rhapsody and a host of other download sites via Isalnd Def Jam Digital Distribution.

      Meanwhile you may have a listen to all the 3 versions of the single on Jango Joett music - Listen Free on Jango || Pictures, Videos, Albums, Bio, Fans

      Thanks again,

      Anthony
      Signature

      FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3244679].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Apollo-Articles
    Use forum marketing, to get a crowd of followers behind the single, once people are talking about it, it will sell.

    Furthermore you could advertise it on Spotify?

    Sam

    Apollo Articles
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3244846].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
    Hi,

    Press release went out on PRWEB 1ST Feb Long-Distance Music Production Dream Come True Breakthrough for Tanzanian Recording Artist

    Video was shot at the mall yesterday and should be done with editing in 3 days or so. I'll keep you posted.

    Anthony
    Signature

    FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3317615].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
    Music videos on YouTube
    Release a free mix-tape on Twitter
    Release a free song or songs on Twitter
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Word of mouth...
    Free CD's
    Perform
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3317863].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
    Hello everyone,

    That Valentine's Day video went up on YouTube today. WillR, thanks for your BRILLIANT idea. Guys, please share this around.
    Signature

    FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3348590].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike McAleer
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3348730].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anthony J Namata
      Originally Posted by FreshDomains View Post

      The song sounds really good! I will share it on Facebook. Also heres what to do;

      -Share on StumbleUpon, Twitter, Facebook, Twiends, Digg
      -Submit to some music blogs
      -Article Marketing
      Many thanks. Will Stumble it...gotta get onto some music blogs too. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks! Article marketing I am already doing.
      Signature

      FEEL Better. LOOK Better. LIVE Better. Improve energy, virility and sexual performance naturally, without using prescription drugs. AMAZING SECRET REVEALED on my blog, at: https://tojona.blogspot.com/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3349012].message }}

Trending Topics