Got a Product Launch in 3 hours, need HELP!

14 replies
Hey Guys

Have set everything up for my sales page and have set up DL guard. However DL guard needs a product URL and my product is a zip file of around 220 MB.

Unfortunately I cant upload product directly through wordpress Add Media button.

I have tried uploading trhough FTP but it still doesnt show in the Media are and the FTP is password encrypted so cant use that URL.

I have tried the Add from server plugin for wordpress but it says the file doesnt meet the security guidelines.

How can i Upload this product to my domain and then get a URL for it that is open for everyone?

Help is VERY appreciated.
#hours #launch #product
  • Profile picture of the author Theory5
    Originally Posted by Undercovercash View Post

    Hey Guys

    Have set everything up for my sales page and have set up DL guard. However DL guard needs a product URL and my product is a zip file of around 220 MB.

    Unfortunately I cant upload product directly through wordpress Add Media button.

    I have tried uploading trhough FTP but it still doesnt show in the Media are and the FTP is password encrypted so cant use that URL.

    I have tried the Add from server plugin for wordpress but it says the file doesnt meet the security guidelines.

    How can i Upload this product to my domain and then get a URL for it that is open for everyone?

    Help is VERY appreciated.
    what if you uploaded it to a file hosting site? Media fire is free and will provide a URL for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3261021].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shaun OReilly
      Use an FTP program such as FileZilla:

      FileZilla - Client Download (no affil.)

      You'll need your ftp details too (Hostname, Username,
      Password and Port).

      Then upload your zip file into a location on your server.

      E.g. http://example.com/productfolder/productfile.zip

      Then put that URL into the relevant section within DLGuard.

      For added security, I normally place the file and folder in
      a non-web-accessible folder above the root public_html.

      As you're in a rush, just upload it onto your server and
      make the folder and file a hard to guess name for a bit
      of protection.

      Dedicated to mutual success,

      Shaun
      Signature

      .

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3261059].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom B
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Undercovercash View Post

    Hey Guys

    Have set everything up for my sales page and have set up DL guard. However DL guard needs a product URL and my product is a zip file of around 220 MB.

    Unfortunately I cant upload product directly through wordpress Add Media button.

    I have tried uploading trhough FTP but it still doesnt show in the Media are and the FTP is password encrypted so cant use that URL.

    I have tried the Add from server plugin for wordpress but it says the file doesnt meet the security guidelines.

    How can i Upload this product to my domain and then get a URL for it that is open for everyone?

    Help is VERY appreciated.
    Your customers will have download problems with a file size that big. You should be breaking up the files into smaller chunks.

    You can just ftp the files instead of using wordpress.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3261036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author daangertenaar
    I recommend making 3 zips and host them on amazon aws, very great hosting service and it's optimized so that people all over the world will have barely any problems.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3261249].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author frankfihn
    Originally Posted by Undercovercash View Post

    Hey Guys

    Have set everything up for my sales page and have set up DL guard. However DL guard needs a product URL and my product is a zip file of around 220 MB.

    Unfortunately I cant upload product directly through wordpress Add Media button.

    I have tried uploading trhough FTP but it still doesnt show in the Media are and the FTP is password encrypted so cant use that URL.

    I have tried the Add from server plugin for wordpress but it says the file doesnt meet the security guidelines.

    How can i Upload this product to my domain and then get a URL for it that is open for everyone?

    Help is VERY appreciated.
    You can just make the link right to the file itself. I do that in dlguard. For me, it's something like http://www.mysite.com/downloads/my-file.zip

    Then you just go into the dlguard admin and add that url directly to the product zip as a download or bonus.

    There's nothing wrong with doing a file size that large if you have to. If you can't break up the file though, I'd advise people about the long download times.
    Signature

    The world's most controversial small business marketing plan - http://www.modernworkers.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3261289].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tom B
      Banned
      Originally Posted by frankfihn View Post


      There's nothing wrong with doing a file size that large if you have to. If you can't break up the file though, I'd advise people about the long download times.
      Have you had any problems with customers downloading a file that size? I know there are limitations on download sizes. We are not talking about a direct download here. DLG masks the download url.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3261368].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Daniel F. Lavoie
        Originally Posted by Thomas Belknap View Post

        Have you had any problems with customers downloading a file that size? I know there are limitations on download sizes. We are not talking about a direct download here. DLG masks the download url.
        Hi Thomas,

        I was selling my products on DVDs using service like Kunaki/Vervanté until I switched to a downloadable format a year or so ago.

        I was tired of the "Can you tell me where is my package?", "I haven't received my package yet, can you tell me...". So I switched to a downloadable format and my products are huge ... 4GB.

        Results : No drop in conversion rate and people actually like it more because they can start learning in 2 hours instead of waiting 7 days and you can upsell the DVDs for those who really want to have them. Over 1800 customers so far and a can count the number of complains on a single hand.

        If your customer knows the size of the file prior of buying it and you frame it the right way. You won't have any problems.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3261467].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tom B
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Daniel F. Lavoie View Post

          Hi Thomas,

          I was selling my products on DVDs using service like Kunaki/Vervanté until I switched to a downloadable format a year or so ago.

          I was tired of the "Can you tell me where is my package?", "I haven't received my package yet, can you tell me...". So I switched to a downloadable format and my products are huge ... 4GB.

          Results : No drop in conversion rate and people actually like it more because they can start learning in 2 hours instead of waiting 7 days and you can upsell the DVDs for those who really want to have them. Over 1800 customers so far and a can count the number of complains on a single hand.

          If your customer knows the size of the file prior of buying it and you frame it the right way. You won't have any problems.
          Hi Daniel,

          I wasn't talking about conversions.

          I was talking about customers downloading the zip file to their computer. I have had files much smaller then the OP's size and it stopped downloading because of size restrictions with php. I am not a php coder but had to change some setting in my site config file in order to increase the size of my downloads.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3261488].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kevin AKA Hubcap
          Originally Posted by Daniel F. Lavoie View Post

          Hi Thomas,

          I was selling my products on DVDs using service like Kunaki/Vervanté until I switched to a downloadable format a year or so ago.

          I was tired of the "Can you tell me where is my package?", "I haven't received my package yet, can you tell me...". So I switched to a downloadable format and my products are huge ... 4GB.

          Results : No drop in conversion rate and people actually like it more because they can start learning in 2 hours instead of waiting 7 days and you can upsell the DVDs for those who really want to have them. Over 1800 customers so far and a can count the number of complains on a single hand.

          If your customer knows the size of the file prior of buying it and you frame it the right way. You won't have any problems.
          I was thinking of doing the same. Just wondering what kind of instruction your giving and have you thought about streaming your content?

          I know certain people wouldn't mind the downloads but others prefer a hard copy.

          It's good to see your conversions have not decreased.

          [As an aside, NetFlix is reducing its DVD mailings and increasing its on demand titles.}
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3261651].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    I can't believe you have a launch in 3 hours and you still haven't sorted this stuff out?! would definitely be breaking the files up into smaller chunks. If someone gets half way through a download of that size and something happens which causes the download to stop they are going to be very annoyed at you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3261427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Just create a folder in your domain folder, like /download (although don't make it that obvious), and then upload the file using Filezilla to that folder. The url is then
    domainname.com/download/FileName.zip with the http://preceding
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3261505].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alan Petersen
    Shaun gave you the exact steps to take so easy, peasy. But I have to agree with the others about the size file. Good Lord! 220 MB... that would be annoying for a customer.

    One time I've seen this as a customer when it was a video training course all in one 300+ MB zipped file.

    Since you're less than 3 hours from launch, it is what it is... But next consider your customer's after sale experience.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3261813].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
      Looks like it's been 3 hours already.
      Signature

      "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3261827].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Undercovercash
    Hey Guys

    Quite a while ago I posted this thread.

    I fixed the issue and had an absolutely killer product launch, despite super bad preparation.

    It was my first product launch and I didnt do it for the money, but mostly just to gain some experience.


    Thanks for all the great answers.


    Btw, a lot of people mention that the file size is annoying, how could I actually make the file smaller?

    No one complained about the file size yet.

    Best regards-Undercovercash
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3351897].message }}

Trending Topics