Do you have to get "famous" to succeed in IM?

43 replies
This is a frequent topic of discussion between my mastermind buddies and myself - and most of the groups I'm in are comprised of fellow "persona" marketers. In other words, we are trying to build brands around our names. We want a fan base. We want to be well known.

The reason seems simple - it's easier to sell more if you're well known. People will buy simply due to endorsement. It's also easier to attract a compatible customer base when people can see you. That might be LESS important if a key part of your business doesn't involve direct interaction with clients/customers... but still.

Even if someone's business DOESN'T require this element for success, I almost always recommend they pursue it - even if it's just to be "famous" to their peers and colleagues (and competitors) if not to the public. I think it's one of those things where it's easy to do, and the benefits FAR outweigh the detriments.

But I know some people don't want to be even mildly famous... or some people are scared to... or some people just don't know how to do it all. I know a lot of people here trade under their own name, but a lot more don't. And for some that do use their own name here, it doesn't mean they stand at the front of their business necessarily, either.

So what do you think? Is fame necessary? Is it desirable? Is it difficult? Is it worth it?
#famous #succeed
  • Profile picture of the author freemen14
    Interesting post. I posted about im "branding" yesterday. I'm not sure I would use the word fame but I would say that having a well know respected name is very important in whatever niche you are in. I don't think you have to use your own name either but simply have a consistent brand name or nickname that people trust.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288029].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
      Originally Posted by freemen14 View Post

      Interesting post. I posted about im "branding" yesterday. I'm not sure I would use the word fame but I would say that having a well know respected name is very important in whatever niche you are in. I don't think you have to use your own name either but simply have a consistent brand name or nickname that people trust.
      Well, a reputation, to me, is something that only your customers will learn. Only negative reputations spread by word of mouth. At least, that's been my experience. You'll get recommended by happy customers, but only if they get asked. When you strive for fame, on the other hand, I think you reach outside of the circle of people who already know you. It's about being known by people who may not even be in your niche at all.

      Reputation is fine, but I mean fame, specifically.
      Signature

      Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
      Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Alves
    I don't think anyone strives to become "famous" online. No one can predict what is going to happen to them exactly. If someone decides to deliver a lot of value to the internet marketing community over time by creating new products and new software that helps people, then that person will eventually become well known. However, I don't think it's possible to become famous without delivering value. I think becoming famous online can be done if you know the right people. If Frank Kern decides to promote all of your products and they all work well, then there is a good chance that you will become a famous marketer online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288132].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
      Originally Posted by John Alves View Post

      I don't think anyone strives to become "famous" online.
      Really? I do. I know a lot of people that do. I think there are more people who are trying to become famous online than there are people who are trying to start businesses. Did you mean in some specific way?

      Originally Posted by John Alves View Post

      No one can predict what is going to happen to them exactly. If someone decides to deliver a lot of value to the internet marketing community over time by creating new products and new software that helps people, then that person will eventually become well known.
      First, if you're striving for something, I think you can predict a result in the positive given a long enough timeline. Fame CAN happen eventually, but you don't HAVE to wait for it this way, do you?

      Originally Posted by John Alves View Post

      However, I don't think it's possible to become famous without delivering value.
      Then how do you explain Paris Hilton? I'm only partially joking. I think fame is a whole separate quality that may or may not include quality or positive reputation as a facet.

      Originally Posted by John Alves View Post

      I think becoming famous online can be done if you know the right people. If Frank Kern decides to promote all of your products and they all work well, then there is a good chance that you will become a famous marketer online.
      Well that's not the ONLY way. It's certainly a shortcut. But no one was there to make Kern famous - he did it himself. So you don't NEED to be MADE famous anymore than someone trying to get into Hollywood NEEDS to be discovered. Some people do get "made" into celebrities, but a lot of others get there by pursuing it with hard work.

      Just looking at your combination there is a formula for manufacturing fame, right? Pair knowing the RIGHT people with delivering MAXIMUM value - it's a start, anyway, wouldn't you say?
      Signature

      Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
      Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288172].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
        Originally Posted by oneplusone View Post

        If you want to sell your business at some stage, then what?

        Allen could sell the Warrior Forum, it's the Warrior Forum not the Allen Says Forum.

        What would you do?

        If Frank Kern decided to sell his business and remove himself from the equation, is there even a viable business left?

        You can see the problem...
        A lot of people say this, but I think they are too hung up on the fact that a brand, even if YOU are the brand, has nothing to do with you.

        Do you think Martha Stewart or Oprah's companies would go out of business if they died?

        How about the famous copywriting firm of Ogilvy and Mather? Both of those guys have been dead a LOOOOONG time, but they have an office walking distance from my house.

        Billy Mays just died a year or so ago, but I still see commercials that star him on TV.

        Now the kind of thing you're talking about MIGHT be a problem if you didn't address it at all, but I don't think it's a hindering problem. I think Kern could easily sell the rights to all of his content, and it would still sell just as well for someone else even IF they only used pre-existing material.

        And best of all, Kern would still RETAIN his selling power via his personal fame. That DOESN'T get sold with the business (or lost should his one particular business close up).

        Ask Donald Trump if his fame helped or hurt him when he lost it all and needed to start over. Ask him if he couldn't sell any part of his business, or if he thinks it will die when he dies.
        Signature

        Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
        Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288197].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Bill Farnham
          Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

          A lot of people say this, but I think they are too hung up on the fact that a brand, even if YOU are the brand, has nothing to do with you.
          Hi Colin,

          Armand Morin years ago was stressing the point he was distancing himself as the 'brand' behind his 'Generator' products for the sake of future salebility.

          He may have changed his stance on that to one degree or another, but back then he was happy to bring up the subject.

          Best of luck with your webinar, I plan on listening in.

          ~Bill
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288252].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
          [DELETED]
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288373].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Bill Farnham
            Originally Posted by oneplusone View Post

            The tone of your posts suggests you don't have an open mind on this issue, and instead are looking for people to validate your belief, pat you on the back and agree with you rather than have a constructive discussion ...
            I think one of the reasons why you guys are at odds on this one could be the circles you hang in. Not to say that your circle is any better or worse than the one Colin hangs in but as a top copywriter for some of the major gurus Colin may have experienced a side of this internet marketing fame phenom that you haven't.

            That's just an assumption on my part and is in no way judgemental. Your circle may run rings around his for all I know.

            ~Bill
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288436].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
              [DELETED]
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288769].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author marcuslim
                Obviously having a reputation makes it easier to sell. However, if you don't have the reputation when you first start out, you can 'borrow' social proof from other better known marketers by doing interviews with them and selling the interviews as your product.
                Signature

                Please read the forum rules.

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288864].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
                  [DELETED]
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289171].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
                    Originally Posted by Bill Farnham View Post

                    And a good job it's doing on your behalf...

                    Billy is one of my best under the radar sales reps (or should that be 'under the sonar')...

                    You don't want to know what kind of subliminal messages Billy puts out!

                    :p:p
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289213].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
                I'm not sure "I" have to get famous to succeed, but in the context of your original post, "something" has to be famous.

                Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Jay Abraham used the phrase "star shops" when referring to businesses which would vanish if the star went away.

                You mentioned Martha Stewart and Oprah. I would venture that their carefully-crafted personae are far more famous and long-lived than either individual herself.

                Both women have built up assets and organizations that can follow the directions set by the namesake. Martha did her famous timeout at the graybar hotel, but Martha Stewart Omnimedia, Inc. just kept chugging along. Oprah remarked in an interview that she bought a little place in Hawaii. According to someone I know there, her 'little place' is about ten square miles on Kauai.

                Yet, if you would believe the tell-alls, Martha the uber-homemaker who is all smiles and decorum in front of the camera can be hell-on-wheels when the little red light goes out. Same thing goes for Oprah.

                Flip to the other side of the coin, and look at one of Warren Buffet's babies, Geico. Buffet himself is nowhere to be found. Rather, he relies on a cartoon lizard and a sissy caveman to front the company.

                My take is to create a persona that can outlive you. If you sell out, the persona goes with the company. I choose to build in more of the Buffet model, with crafted personae doing the front work.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288896].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Bill Farnham
                  Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

                  I choose to build in more of the Buffet model, with crafted personae doing the front work.

                  And a good job it's doing on your behalf...

                  Signature
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288998].message }}
              • Crikey, what an interesting thread that just went a smidgen viral in the space of a few hours since Colin posted it aye. The topic you chose Colin is obviously one that Warriors here really appreciate from all angles, so props to you for raising it!!

                Originally Posted by oneplusone View Post

                I probably was a bit harsh, but my point is still correct that most of these "debates" are nothing more than people trying to validate their beliefs.

                On this very forum it goes on all the time on controversial threads, what purpose does it serve?
                Actually I think what Colin has done by starting this thread is very smart - it's called market research for his webinar that he will be presenting on later (topic: "Manufacturing Micro-Celebrity"). By starting a discussion here, it gives him an insight into his prospective audience so he can deliver his best training and learn by delving inside the minds of his audience.

                So in fact, the purpose this thread serves is smart intel for his presentation, ensuring he's on track to deliver what the audience needs.

                I got my front row seat to learn from a master!
                Signature
                Check out my lastest WSO:

                [Responsive Email Marketing] - Private Webinar by Jason Fladlien ==> Promote for 100% Commissions
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289170].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
            Originally Posted by 2010sahmoa View Post

            I, myself would "love" to be famous online and offline..But then i'm more likely be targeted for harassment and rumors that all the "celebrities" get.
            Do you think having other people talking about you is good or bad, regardless of what they might be saying?

            Originally Posted by Bill Farnham View Post

            Best of luck with your webinar, I plan on listening in.
            Thanks Bill!

            Originally Posted by AFI View Post

            HA! No, not at all. I don't follow any "gurus". Do your own thing.
            That wasn't the question, afaik.

            Originally Posted by ReportKing View Post

            Absolutely not! I'm a nobody and I am averaging about $150 - $200 per day from my business between Clickbank and a one time offer that I have set up when people opt-in to my list. Granted, it's not a fortune, but's it's more than I made when I had a 9-5.

            I think the only thing you need is a list and a lot of targeted traffic to be successful in IM. Of course, fame can't hurt.
            So you have a list - who do those emails come "from"?

            Originally Posted by JayXtreme View Post

            No.

            /thread

            Jay
            Thanks for answering only the title of the thread.

            Originally Posted by Martin Luxton View Post

            I feel it is in large part about being memorable, and that can be the result of something quirky.
            I think that's a part of it, but you have to do some work in order to cultivate that becoming something like fame or celebrity.

            Originally Posted by oneplusone View Post

            Sure, there are some benefits, but you're being purposefully "selective" to try and validate your belief.
            How am I the one being selective - I was discussing YOUR points.

            Originally Posted by oneplusone View Post

            I and many other warriors could give you a whole list of negatives, but the entire debate becomes a worthless argument as everyone is just trying to validate what they already believe.
            I'm not trying to validate anything. I'm trying to have a discussion. The way the works is we go back and forth, point counter-point. You gave a negative, and I talked about how there are exceptions and even examples of being famous SEPARATE from your business and having that be a benefit, too. I wasn't even arguing with you.

            Originally Posted by oneplusone View Post

            Which is why I don't usually waste my time getting involved in these types of debates, everyone is trying to validate their belief as opposed to having an open mind.
            Are you describing yourself, here? You're the one who presented one negative and is now insisting I have a closed mind just because I opened it for discussion instead of agreeing with you. Geez, buddy. I don't know who pissed in your Cheerios this morning but it sure wasn't me.

            Originally Posted by oneplusone View Post

            The tone of your posts suggests you don't have an open mind on this issue, and instead are looking for people to validate your belief, pat you on the back and agree with you rather than have a constructive discussion ... and for that reason I'll give your webinar a miss.
            I wanted to discuss your points, but you clearly don't want to. Which is fine, you could have just not replied again if this is such a waste of your time. But clearly, it's not so much a waste that you can't take a moment TO LET US ALL KNOW - "HEY GUYS, THIS IS A WASTE OF MY TIME!!! THIS THING YOU ARE READING AND I AM TYPING IS A WASTE!!!"

            The tone of your posts suggests you're kind of a pompous ass. For that reason, I'm glad you won't be on my webinar.

            Originally Posted by oneplusone View Post

            But good luck with your webinar anyway
            Thanks, jerk.
            Signature

            Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
            Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288450].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
              Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

              Thanks, jerk.
              I've just read your reply (I missed it for some reason), this is the first time I've been called a jerk by anyone

              If you knew me personally you wouldn't think that, I'm actually quite a nice guy.

              I'd be happy to chat to you by PM, e-mail or on Skype if you want a proper, friendly discussion about marketing
              Signature
              'If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.' Vincent Van Gogh.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289343].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
      Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

      So what do you think? Is fame necessary? Is it desirable? Is it difficult? Is it worth it?
      Paging Steven Wagenheim...

      Nobody outside of our own little family has the slightest clue who Steven Wagenheim is, but you certainly can't say he isn't successful.

      Originally Posted by John Alves View Post

      I don't think anyone strives to become "famous" online.
      Um... yes, many of us do. I've been very straightforward and up-front from day one about wanting to be a household name in this industry. I may not be entirely in control of what people think about that name, but I'm definitely working very hard to get my name out there and be recognised.

      Of course, at the moment, I'm most recognised for being rude to my customers, outrageously inappropriate in live chat, and drinking too much. But there's no such thing as bad publicity.

      And besides, I wear a tie. I can't be unprofessional; I'm wearing a tie. Nobody wears a tie if they don't have to. That would just be weird.
      Signature
      "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288392].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Alves
        Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

        Paging Steven Wagenheim...

        Um... yes, many of us do. I've been very straightforward and up-front from day one about wanting to be a household name in this industry. I may not be entirely in control of what people think about that name, but I'm definitely working very hard to get my name out there and be recognised.
        Why are you doing this? Are you trying to make more money by being well known? It doesn't matter whether I'm famous or not in this industry. What matters to me is whether or not I'm succeeding financially in it. Success doesn't require being famous. In fact, I would always choose being financially stable for the rest of my life over being famous. Being famous is not always a good thing.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288437].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
          Originally Posted by John Alves View Post

          Why are you doing this?
          Because I am a complete attention whore.

          Money and success have nothing to do with it. I want to be famous because I have always wanted to be famous.

          I wanted it when I thought "rich and famous" always went together, and I still want it now that I know you can be either of those things without the other.

          And if I had to pick one, I'd pick famous. Because I can get by just fine on a reasonably small amount of money, but not on a similarly small amount of attention.

          As far as whether it will make me more money, rather the opposite. Money defines your value as a human being in American popular culture. So if I want to stay famous, I have to make a certain amount of money. It's not a perquisite, but a prerequisite.
          Signature
          "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288594].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Bill Farnham
            Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

            Because I am a complete attention whore.
            Yup, CD, you are definitely giving Bill Platt a run for his money...

            ~Bill
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288730].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author TrekkieGrrrl
            Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

            Because I am a complete attention whore.
            I nearly choked on my coffee reading this. Then I LMAO.

            Ya gotta love honesty.... :p
            Signature

            Hab SoSlI' Quch!
            YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary LLaP = Live Long and Prosper
            Please Donate To KimW - Warrior needs a kidney transplant
            Coming Soon - the Greatest WSO in History!

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288962].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author JonWebContent
            Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

            Because I am a complete attention whore.

            Money and success have nothing to do with it. I want to be famous because I have always wanted to be famous.

            I wanted it when I thought "rich and famous" always went together, and I still want it now that I know you can be either of those things without the other.

            And if I had to pick one, I'd pick famous. Because I can get by just fine on a reasonably small amount of money, but not on a similarly small amount of attention.

            As far as whether it will make me more money, rather the opposite. Money defines your value as a human being in American popular culture. So if I want to stay famous, I have to make a certain amount of money. It's not a perquisite, but a prerequisite.
            We would get along well. Call me after I'm done shooting my next Wrangler Jeans commercial.

            Sincerely,
            Brett Favre
            Signature

            Get an affordable and reliable Web Content Writer to help grow your online business.

            Learn how to play WINNING poker from me!

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289386].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Martin Luxton
        Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

        Of course, at the moment, I'm most recognised for being rude to my customers, outrageously inappropriate in live chat, and drinking too much. But there's no such thing as bad publicity.
        Same thing again for me. I remember you for your unusual name.

        Plus your 'say cheese' photo.

        And that exchange of PM's where you mentioned your encounter with Squeaky Fromme.


        Martin
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288438].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 2010sahmoa
    I, myself would "love" to be famous online and offline..But then i'm more likely be targeted for harassment and rumors that all the "celebrities" get.
    Signature
    SEO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288206].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AFI
    HA! No, not at all. I don't follow any "gurus". Do your own thing.
    Signature

    Learn about Internet Marketing from my dofollow comment blog.....Make Extra Money At Home...
    I WILL BUILD YOU YOUR OWN CUSTOM AMAZON REVIEW SITE - HUNDREDS SOLD!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288283].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
      Originally Posted by AFI View Post

      HA! No, not at all. I don't follow any "gurus". Do your own thing.
      Do you think following a guru and becoming famous are the same...? Just wondering. Or you didn't really read the OP
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288294].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Martin Luxton
      Colin,

      I feel it is in large part about being memorable, and that can be the result of something quirky.

      You stick out a bit in my mind because I remember a controversial thread you caused a bit of a stir in and I thought of you as Colin "The Riot".

      And then, your location of Roswell.

      So, your content got me interested, but those two names gave me a 'memory peg' to hang you onto.


      Martin
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author roley
    No

    You just have to FAKE some earnings and put out a $97 ebook ROFL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288303].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
    No.

    /thread

    Jay
    Signature

    Bare Murkage.........

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288304].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
    Do you have to get "famous" to succeed in IM?
    No, probably, you don't have to... but it feels good, in any field
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288458].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      Nobody outside of our own little family has the slightest clue who Steven Wagenheim is, but you certainly can't say he isn't successful.
      Right - I would say that a large degree of that success probably has to do with the fame, at least, it APPEARS as though he spent a lot more time building the fame than on building products, judging only by the post count.

      Originally Posted by Bill Farnham View Post

      I think one of the reasons why you guys are at odds on this one could be the circles you hang in.
      I think we're at odds because he is exactly what he was saying I was. At least, that's what it looks like to me.

      Originally Posted by John Alves View Post

      Why are you doing this? Are you trying to make more money by being well known? It doesn't matter whether I'm famous or not in this industry. What matters to me is whether or not I'm succeeding financially in it. Success doesn't require being famous. In fact, I would always choose being financially stable for the rest of my life over being famous. Being famous is not always a good thing.
      Of course. Success does not require fame. Nor does it guarantee it. But it certainly is an ADVANTAGE in every way I can think of (if and when it's used intelligently). Of course, I'm happy to hear other viewpoints as long as the people expressing them are willing to, you know, discuss them or elaborate, lol.

      I would choose financial stability over fame, too. Fortunately, it's not an either/or choice. You can have both. Fame is just another leverage-able advantage. Same as anything else. That means you don't want to rely on it as the ONLY ingredient of your success... obviously we all know fame can be fleeting.

      But even as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, people don't realize that you don't have to WAIT to get accidentally famous in your niche. You can do it on purpose. And if it can be advantageous to be famous in your niche, and you can create that fame yourself, is there a compelling reason not to? We've heard a reason or two not to have it be your ONLY ingredient, but not any as far as not using it at ALL.

      As you said, being famous is not always a good thing. Neither is being anonymous. I guess I'm more interested in they whys and the hows, vs. the do or do not.
      Signature

      Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
      Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288563].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrdomains
    If you strive after it for the sake of using it as leverage, fame can be a 2 edged sword.

    A quick rise to fame often equals a quick fall unless you keep adding fuel to the fire.

    Whether you need fame or not to push ahead of the competition depends on what line of business you are in. Internet Marketing is a pretty big concept, and a big market. In a lot of it you don't need any leverage from a prominent public presence to be successful. All it takes is hard work.

    But if you intend to teach/sell the Internet Marketing community something about Internet Marketing then positive Fame may certainly be useful.

    Once you are in the limelight every move you make will be noted and impact how fame affects your business. That can be a lot of work that drains your resources.
    Signature

    Free action plan : Think less. Do more.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288604].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ExRat
      Hi,

      I don't have anything to contribute on this subject, but I have read the OP and replies with interest.

      I am only commenting here to say thanks to CD for making me smile by using a testimonial from 'ceiling cat' in his sig file. Thanks CD I think someone needs to hit photoshop and make a 'ceiling Cal', using the 'say cheese' avatar.

      Don't mind me, please carry on.
      Signature


      Roger Davis

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288632].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author auradev
    no but it certainly helps. Establishing your self as a celebrity or expert makes you more credible and makes it easier to sell whatever.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3288977].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
    You know when I first began this whole IM journey. All I wanted to be is successful and famous all over this forum. I wanted to be a huge guru with the big list, the raving fans, the countless JV invitations.

    I use to dream about doing interviews with other big gurus telling my story from rags to riches.

    Meh.....now I only want the money and freedom, the rest is just unimportant noise.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289026].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Silas Hart
    There's billion dollars industries out there, and at the top of them are people, or a team of people, usually unknown to everyone else. There's someone out there that sells virtual game currency for real money... and earns a high 6 figures a month. I've got connections with the guy, and I say "Hey, I can get ______ on board," and someone within the industry that's come out with new software they want to sell are like "who is that?"

    An image is always important, but not everyone builds a public image or needs to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289049].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theaffiliategeek
    Fame and fortune truly are 2 different things. Some desire fame, some don't. There are plenty of people doing quite well in IM that aren't "famous". Some of the time, it's by choice
    to go it alone so to speak.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289051].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LetsGoViral
    Not necessarily. You can always be the gray cardinal, use several pen names, while standing behind big schemes. It's not always good to be popular on the internet. This exposes you to certain risks. However, for a wannabe "guru" the best way probably is to gain internet recognition and popularity.
    Signature
    Time of thinking is over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3289266].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JonAlfredsson
    Although being famous can be an advantage, I think that it’s not necessary to be successful in internet marketing. Remember that many of the successful IMers today were also not famous in the past. They’re able to establish their name by providing top quality products or services.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3290200].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author billspaced
    Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

    So what do you think? Is fame necessary? Is it desirable? Is it difficult? Is it worth it?
    Fame isn't necessary but it surely is desirable. Or at the very least, it helps--a great deal.

    We all know somebody who sells crap just because of their stature. On the flipside, there are folks who have a ton of useful info but no sales. Fame has as much to do with the difference as anything.

    But there may be a bigger, longer-term aspect to it all. Building the brand of "Me, Inc." (or "You, Inc." as the case may be) has far-reaching beneficial consequences. I cannot think of any negatives.

    Now, let's not get confused by the difference between "famous" and "infamous." ")
    Signature

    Bill Davis
    Chief Marketing Officer, SoMoLo Marketing

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3290796].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin_Hutto
    FFBF.... Famous for being famous. Thats what it really is...

    I will say this about selling a "guru" business. I know one of the biggest gurus in the real estate world and he was going to sell his company back in 2006 for $60Million. He was doing $25Mil a year. The buyer put in a lot of strings about him staying and running the company for at least 5 years, doing all the same seminars, etc... all this stuff because the clients were all loyal to him - and if he left, there would have been a large amount of attrition. So, in a true guru business like you are talking about here, the more that the people are in love with YOU, the less sellable it is - unless you are willing to stick around. The deal ended up falling through because the buyer just couldn't end up pulling the string with the risk of the guru dying or quitting or whatever.

    All that being said, I think its fine to build a guru business... although I think its sometimes hard work being a "guru".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3290863].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AnitaCross
      Originally Posted by oneplusone View Post

      Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

      Thanks, jerk.
      I've just read your reply (I missed it for some reason), this is the first time I've been called a jerk by anyone

      If you knew me personally you wouldn't think that, I'm actually quite a nice guy.

      I'd be happy to chat to you by PM, e-mail or on Skype if you want a proper, friendly discussion about marketing
      I've made some of my best friends this way...

      Seriously, folks, inside of six months, these two will be thick as fleas on a stray dog..


      To answer Colin's original questions, I don't think fame is necessary. I do think it is difficult to achieve, that is, it takes working at it. It doesn't often fall into ones lap without a whole lot of foundation. Whether or not it is desirable or worth it depends a lot on what you're famous for, what your target market is, and how clean you keep your act! (Just ask Tiger Woods, or Brett Favre.)

      All in good clean fun,
      -Anita
      Signature
      Looking For A Short Cut To Online Retail Profits?
      OSOA on Facebook -- SimplySilk on Facebook

      Anita
      is one of several Moderators at "Live Marketing Chat"
      LMC, mixing work and fun on Saturday nights -- Google it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3291204].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author corsleymaxwell
        If your goal is to succeed in IM, then you must strive to be well known. This doesn't mean that you have to outlay your privacy online. You can be famous in many ways, it could be in terms of products, services, affiliate and so much more. The important is that you're able to build your own name or identity online.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3291355].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
        Originally Posted by AnitaCross View Post

        I've made some of my best friends this way...

        Seriously, folks, inside of six months, these two will be thick as fleas on a stray dog..

        All in good clean fun,
        -Anita
        We are fine now, I apologised to Colin for my antics last night by PM and he accepted my apology

        It was a 100% my fault, there is no excuse to provoke anyone on a forum with ridiculous comments (like the ones I made) when you don't know them.

        I've deleted the inappropriate posts I made.

        I was a bit tired and irritable last night which didn't help, but Colin has accepted my apology and suggested we forget about this and both move on
        Signature
        'If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.' Vincent Van Gogh.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3294778].message }}

Trending Topics