By figuring out your own patterns, you can literally triple your productivity just by following a routine that maximizes when you are in a working mindset. Just to give you some ideas, here's what helps me:
1. Taking a shower. If I take a shower in the morning, I just feel a lot more energized and get more done. This one is pretty easy, so it obviously is done every day.
2. Shave: Even though I work from home, if I take the time to make sure that I'm clean shaven it puts me in a 'work' mindset. This is probably because I was a chef for 9 years, and had to shave for work twice a day.
3. Get dressed: Can I work in my pajamas? Of course. However ,I've noticed that I get much more done if I take the time to actually get dressed.
4. Eat: I can't work hungry. Ever. SO I eat pretty much constantly throughout the day.
5. Drink: Similarly, I drink Diet Coke pretty much non stop. For most people this would be coffee, but to each their own.
6. No TV: If the TV is on, I'm going to watch it, so i make sure to be in a room with no TV. This one tip would triple most IMers productivity, so leave the TV off!
7. Music: I work better with music on. Some people need total quiet, it is whatever works best for you.
8. Candles: this I did intentionally. Every time that I sat down to work, I'd like a candle on my desk. It was kind of a signal to me that it was time to work. Now whenver I don't feel like working (but need to get stuff done), I just light a candle. As strange as it may sound, I'm usually instantly put in a working mindset.
9. Know what you're doing: I write a todo list every morning with how logn each item will take. It keeps me honest. This way, I can't give myself a 14 hour todo list and then feel defeated at the end of the day.
So what do you do? What helps you get into a more productive mindset?