Building a HUGE List (?)

15 replies
hi guys.

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a dumb question, but is there a way you can start to collect email addresses from your users without aWeber or any other email marketing service?

Obviously I wouldn't be able to email them without the service unless I did it manually, but I'm a bit of a PHP / coding moron, and don't know how I'd go about this.

To be clear: I want to have an email input box / squeeze page, without paying for the monthly email service.

Also, what's your favorite plugin / software for an opt-in box? I thought about buying pop-up domination but again - it's pricey!
#building #huge #list
  • Profile picture of the author John A Goodwin
    You can use a free script from phplist.com, but I would recommend you to use a service like Aweber, because they have high delivery rates.
    Signature

    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve." - Napoleon Hill
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3394116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AnthonyKrese
    You could use MailChimp. It's free.
    Signature
    What's for dinner tonight? Fast, easy, awesome recipes to keep the wife and kids happy!

    The Man's Cookbook
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3394467].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vijay M
    I think even getresponse allows you to use them for free..till you have 500 subscribers, or some such number.

    You could collect them and send it from your domain, but I would not recommend using your mailbox to send them out. Doing so, you run the risk of your domain being blacklisted, if a few subs classify your email as spam.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3394643].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KatieWilliams
    Is price the only reason you don't want to use an autoresponder?

    Because there are free options out there.

    Obviously, they come with their own levels of delivery rates and other things that may put you off, but it is possible to do without it costing you money.

    Katie
    Signature

    Katie

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3394671].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tip
    You can use emailaces.com you have to scroll down to the PPS on the sales page but you can get the service for free. They will put their own ads on your emails though so I still recommend using aweber...

    Doctorproject - check out my site (in my signature) for the right way to build a list - its free of coure...
    Signature
    It Starts With A List
    If you're new to internet marketing or you are not yet hitting the big-time, grab my free 7 day e-course on how to REALLY start earning money online.
    Hype-free, calm and confident. It Starts With A List
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3394916].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CShark
    A lot of information out here on my subject. Thank you all.

    Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3394997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    Originally Posted by doctorproject View Post

    hi guys.

    Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a dumb question, but is there a way you can start to collect email addresses from your users without aWeber or any other email marketing service?

    Obviously I wouldn't be able to email them without the service unless I did it manually, but I'm a bit of a PHP / coding moron, and don't know how I'd go about this.

    To be clear: I want to have an email input box / squeeze page, without paying for the monthly email service.

    Also, what's your favorite plugin / software for an opt-in box? I thought about buying pop-up domination but again - it's pricey!
    Seriously, if you are not willing to pay just $19 a month for something like Aweber then I question how serious you actually are about making this work. If you are paying for a monthly service then you are going to be more determined to get your list working for you and turning profit as quickly as possible.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3395155].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jack Clark
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      Seriously, if you are not willing to pay just $19 a month for something like Aweber then I question how serious you actually are about making this work. If you are paying for a monthly service then you are going to be more determined to get your list working for you and turning profit as quickly as possible.
      I completely agree, if you cannot afford to pay $19/month for a great email marketing service, then you probably don't want to bother trying to make it online. The amount of time it will take you to set up some other system is completely wasteful. Think of it like this, How much is your time worth to you? If it worth less than $19 for a couple of hours work, then I suggest you go over to elance and register as a worker because you can easily get jobs that pay higher than that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3395198].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillR
        Originally Posted by Jack Clark View Post

        I completely agree, if you cannot afford to pay $19/month for a great email marketing service, then you probably don't want to bother trying to make it online. The amount of time it will take you to set up some other system is completely wasteful. Think of it like this, How much is your time worth to you? If it worth less than $19 for a couple of hours work, then I suggest you go over to elance and register as a worker because you can easily get jobs that pay higher than that.
        Exactly, and the fact that you're first month with Aweber costs only $1. In my opinion if you haven't made enough over that first month to pay the $19 for the second month then you probabaly are not cut out for this list building stuff.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3395252].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      Seriously, if you are not willing to pay just $19 a month for something like Aweber then I question how serious you actually are about making this work. If you are paying for a monthly service then you are going to be more determined to get your list working for you and turning profit as quickly as possible.
      That's what I was thinking, plus the first month is only $1 on their trial.

      Most of us know that $1 or even $19 is nothing compared to how much you can make with lists if done properly.
      Signature
      'If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.' Vincent Van Gogh.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3395257].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author peter gibson
    To add to what others have said r.e. aweber, it's not just about deliverability (is that even a word?) or the cheap price. It has a great interface, solid campaign advice, and their newsletters can be truly enlightening. I've tweaked a few campaigns based on techniques they detail in their periodicals and the stuff I've learned has helped me greatly over the years.

    I curse myself for waiting as long as I did before moving to aweber. If I ever make a list of services that I consider essential to my success - Aweber is right up there in the top 5. For 1$ for the first month you really can't lose just trying it out. I guarantee you'll never cancel the subscription once you've used it for a month.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3395240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
    Originally Posted by doctorproject View Post

    is there a way you can start to collect email addresses from your users without aWeber or any other email marketing service?
    What is the reason that you don't want to use Aweber or another service? Is it money? Is it because you sell something illegal? If you tell us your objection, we could better tailor the advice.
    Signature

    Founder of JVZoo. All around good guy :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3395816].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author doctorproject
    Thanks for all your input. Kind of overwhelmed by the response actually! Very helpful.

    To those telling me "I'm not cut out for this" ... don't really appreciate that, but I'm pretty sure I'll live.

    Here's my deal:

    1) I haven't gotten everything prepared for the campaign yet, but have traffic to start collecting email addresses

    2) I'm a bit of a code moron; am not familiar enough with tech side (yet) to set it up now; I do foresee having spare time in the future to learn however

    3) I want to be sure I execute perfectly and I still have a few minor details to really confirm prior to hopping in - baby steps!

    I've only dabbled a bit in PPC and still have quite a bit to learn. Hopefully I can figure it all out with your help by asking the right questions and exploring the site a bit further. I'm really impressed with your willingness to help / responses and feel encouraged. Plus I had no idea there were free options! Thanks guys!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3395918].message }}

Trending Topics