I am currently "marketing" a number of articles for a couple of my own websites and would like to just remind you (especially those who have lost faith) that there really is no secret to article marketing. Providing you perform your keyword research with Google's keyword tool and then check each keyword out in the search results to see what you are up against, you should have no problems placing on Google.
Many people think that there are special secrets to getting traffic, but what it comes down to is a solid strategy and consistency. There really is nothing more to it than that. Here is a basic strategy based on one article that anyone can follow:
1) Write a 500 word article for your website based on a particular relevant keyword that you would like to target.
2) Write another article on the same keyword but remember that the article needs to be equally helpful but not promotional. This should be sent out to the top article directories - maybe 4 or 5.
3) In the resource box of this article, place one link to your home page, and one link to the original article on your website (using the keyword).
4) Use a social bookmarking service like IMAutomator.com to bookmark both articles. This helps to get them indexed quickly.
5) Write one more new article based on the same keyword and use a tool like Article Marketing Robot to blast it out to hundreds of directories and blogs. The resource box for this should link back to the original article on your website as well as the article on one of the article directories (preferably Ezine or Article Base).
That is pretty much it. However, one tip is to make all three articles as helpful as possible. Keep in mind that you are not just going for the backlinks, but you want people to read the articles and be inspired to visit your website too. Don't spin the articles - you will not be punished for duplicated articles despite what some people say.
There are other things you can do with each article such as creating a Facebook post or comment that links back to the article, or use twitter to do the same. However, if you use the above method for an article a day - you will see exciting results within a few weeks, sometimes sooner depending on the keyword.
Hope that helps.