Was just thinking back to when I got started online and having real success.
I was doing "Bum marketing" or article marketing and I think the main reasons that people give up before seeing real earnings are:
1. They expect instant results.
2. They are no good at writing and softselling.
3. Similar to above they don't make full use of the content they HAVE written.
4. They are promoting the wrong products.
At least this is what I have seen.
I think the main reason though is the waiting and when you are starting out promoting a few products and you only have a few articles out there you will get a few sales and then see nothing for a few days.
IF you are starting out and reading this my advice:
1. Don't give up! IT WORKS! (If done correctly)
2. Focus on finding out what your market REALLY want i.e dog training as oppose to dog house training. Narrow down and find an opening.
3. MOST IMPORTANT - Build and focus on your OWN sites - what would you do if Ezine articles got slapped and your articles lost quite a few of their listings? Oh wait...
Anyway let me know your thoughts and if you do a lot of article marketing let me know what was the BIGGEST problem for you when you got started?