Article marketing is always a common topic in this forum and for a good reason. Many people are saying that article marketing is dead, but I disagree. While it may not be as effective as in times past, I think you can still get good (or even better) results with just a little extra work.
The common thing is to write an article and post it to your blog then rewrite or spin it (or maybe not) and post to a few article directories. For some people, this is where they quit, or they may just quit after submitting to EZA (I used to be one of those people), but here are some things I do to "stretch" each article and get the most exposure from it.
First, let me state this is just how I do it, not saying its the best way or the only way, I'm sure there is a better/quicker way to do this but it's a place to start.
First, make a list of steps that you will follow for every single article. I had a hard time staying focused before I started doing this.
Here is a basic summary of what I do with each article.
1. Write article and add to my own blog
2. Spin/Rewrite (sometimes not) the article and post to 3 directories
3. Submit article to three web 2.0 properties in niche
4. Turn article into PDF using Open Office
5. Submit PDF to PDF sites like docstoc (I use seven different ones)
6. Longer articles can be submitted to "free ebook" sites also
7. I bookmark one link from each source (article directory, web 2.0 site, and PDF site) I only bookmark 3 links because I use the platinum version of Social Monkee and It only allows 3 urls a day, but it submits it to 100 bookmarks sites and generates a RSS feed for you.
8. I take the RSS feeds from Social Monkee and ping them using ping-o-matic. I also ping the other links too (the ones not bookmarked)
9. repeat with another article/niche
I also like to try to drive all the traffic to a squeeze page when possible, some niches are different though so use your judgement.
If you are struggling to see results with article marketing or you want more exposure for your articles follow this list and you should be on your way.