Shared Hosting: Looks like we are running out of options...

by Adie
23 replies
Hostgator has been so slow lately and dreamhost has been having some weird 500 server errors. I am working on several customer's websites and this is really pissing me off.. I am having too much delays because of these problems. I am telling my customers to get some faster hosts but of course some of them can't afford VPS.... Looks like we are running our of good shared hosting...

I am using the following hosts for my personal sites:
1. Hostgator - worst
2. lovinghosting 98% uptime, speed is okay
3. x10hosting 0 not encountered any problem yet for almost 15 months now......
#hosting #options #running #shared
  • Profile picture of the author George Tee
    Whoa.. are u recently getting worst server from hostgator? seems like i'm having the same trouble too! But my problem is a dns problem where US side have no problem viewing my site, but other countries can't access at all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3579854].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Adie
      Originally Posted by George Tee View Post

      Whoa.. are u recently getting worst server from hostgator? seems like i'm having the same trouble too! But my problem is a dns problem where US side have no problem viewing my site, but other countries can't access at all.
      I can always tell that firefox is showing a non-stop rotating circle all the time... means non-stop loading..
      Signature



      Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

      Signature edited.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3579871].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author anthony2
    Originally Posted by Adie View Post

    Hostgator has been so slow lately and dreamhost has been having some weird 500 server errors. I am working on several customer's websites and this is really pissing me off.. I am having too much delays because of these problems. I am telling my customers to get some faster hosts but of course some of them can't afford VPS.... Looks like we are running our of good shared hosting...

    I am using the following hosts for my personal sites:
    1. Hostgator - worst
    2. lovinghosting 98% uptime, speed is okay
    3. x10hosting 0 not encountered any problem yet for almost 15 months now......
    I am suprise with hostgator.
    I've been using hostgator for years and never had a problem with them.

    you can take alook at bluehost there very good.
    Signature
    "I Leveled The Playing Field And Removed Every Roadblock
    To Helping You Make Maximum Profits In Minimum Time"
    Click Here Now To Find Out How!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3579889].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cooler1
    Which HostGator plan are you on? Im on the baby plan. Ive noticed it's a bit slow recently but it doesn't seem any slower than usual.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3579896].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wkathome
    I have 3 sites hosted by hostgator and alexa reports all 3 as loading slow. I've tried dumping the cache to speed them up but nothing.

    Oh, what's up with pingomatic? Says web domain expired and not renewed. Yipes!
    Signature

    Make serious money whenever you make a post on Facebook."Proven Case Study Video Reveals How This Secret Fan Page Makes Money By Just Giving Away Things For Free!"..http://wkathome12.trk.org/fbfanpage

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3580117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lukemeister
    I've noticed WP sites running slow on Hostgator too, caching plugins can help to speed them up. Hostmonster is my main shared host though, and I'm running a lot of WP sites on one account and not needing any caching plugins or anything to keep them snappy, pretty happy with Hostmonster still, been with them for about 5 years
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3580147].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author anthony2
    Originally Posted by Adie View Post

    Hostgator has been so slow lately and dreamhost has been having some weird 500 server errors. I am working on several customer's websites and this is really pissing me off.. I am having too much delays because of these problems. I am telling my customers to get some faster hosts but of course some of them can't afford VPS.... Looks like we are running our of good shared hosting...

    I am using the following hosts for my personal sites:
    1. Hostgator - worst
    2. lovinghosting 98% uptime, speed is okay
    3. x10hosting 0 not encountered any problem yet for almost 15 months now......
    With hostgator the problem you are having is your
    website is loading slowly?
    Signature
    "I Leveled The Playing Field And Removed Every Roadblock
    To Helping You Make Maximum Profits In Minimum Time"
    Click Here Now To Find Out How!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3580165].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Adie
      Originally Posted by anthony2 View Post

      With hostgator the problem you are having is your
      website is loading slowly?
      yes, especially when updating something inside wp admin... all of my other sites hosted with different companies works fine...
      Signature



      Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

      Signature edited.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3580283].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rts2271
      Word is Hostgator has some capacity issues. They offered one of my engineers a job and another buddy at aplus was offered the same position.

      In hosting it's growing pains. Give them 3 months and it will be worked out. Right now they are probably war chesting cash for a upgrade buildout.

      Dreamhost has always sucked.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3580301].message }}
  • Dreamhost.. One word Read Their Status Blog before even considering them. It's a non stop roller coaster of screwups and mess ups. http://www.dreamhoststatus.com

    PS: The best advice I can give you is don't skimp on hosting, there should be no reason why you can't afford a quality $20-40 a month VPS that is monitored. I personally never go with a company I cannot reach a live tech support guy on the phone. In fact that is generally the first thing I do before considering a company, I call up their tech support number and say I am having problems with my server, just to see their response time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3580428].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Adie
      Originally Posted by OnlineMarketingSys View Post

      Dreamhost.. One word Read Their Status Blog before even considering them. It's a non stop roller coaster of screwups and mess ups. DreamHost Status

      PS: The best advice I can give you is don't skimp on hosting, there should be no reason why you can't afford a quality $20-40 a month VPS that is monitored. I personally never go with a company I cannot reach a live tech support guy on the phone. In fact that is generally the first thing I do before considering a company, I call up their tech support number and say I am having problems with my server, just to see their response time.
      I have an offshore dedicated server but use shared host to some of my sites and my blog network. Most of my customers uses these 2 hosts and I am affected when I work with their sites...
      Signature



      Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

      Signature edited.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3580668].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        I think you're wrong to announce "hostgator is not working" - because it may be slow for you where you are or due to your sites...but not slow for others.

        I just checked all my HG sites - all loaded very quickly. What I have noticed is every time someone complains their WP blog is loading slowly or is down - my html sites are working fine.

        I find many Wordpress sites I visit online load very slowly. I've always thought that was due to overuse of plugins but don't know. It could be HG is better in some locations than in others? Don't know that either.

        I do know I have no problems with HG - my sites stay up and they load fast.

        kay

        Edit: I should add - I use reseller accounts with hostgator. If you use addon domains you might have different results - don't know about that.
        Signature
        Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

        My mind still thinks I'm 25.
        My body thinks my mind is an idiot.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3580763].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Adie
          Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

          I think you're wrong to announce "hostgator is not working" - because it may be slow for you where you are or due to your sites...but not slow for others.
          .
          I never said HG is not working. I said it's getting slower. I contacted the support and at least she admitted that there had been an ongoing problem. I din't have any problem with my personal sites per se but my customer's... I use different hosts but also have HG for some IP distribution purposes....
          Signature



          Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

          Signature edited.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3581720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imfusa
    I am using hostgator vps level 3, which i have no problems with it. In the past i was using there web hosting service. And indeed, i have experienced the same problems like you: 500 internal errors, that lasted no more than 1 sec, but they were too many in a day, and the page loaded in more than 5 secs. If you can't afford a vps then i would suggest liquid host for webhosting, i have heard many good things about them, also stay away from justhost. Another idea would be to get a vps level 3 package and make it reseller.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3580784].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seobro
    I have also found hostgator is slow for me. Basically, I have the reseller version. However, webhostingpad is still going strong on those web pages with a lot of pictures that can load S-L-O-W-L-Y on other web hosting service. Biggest problem I have is that I was planning to consolidate all my hosting on HG, but not anymore.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3581578].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jkennedy
    I've used SiteGround for years and have always had fast load times. They also have great customer service. I've been on the phone with them several times and they get things done fast. All of my web design clients are hosted there and have had no complaints. I know this sounds like an advertisement, but I get nothing out of it, just wanted to suggest a good hosting service to my fellow Warriors.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3581627].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbyte
    So what would some recommend for a good vps? I am moving some of my sites from Dreamhost finally and would like a good quality vps service that I can manage.
    Signature

    I fix WordPress problems, PM me if you need help

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3581689].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DJL
    I've been very pleased so far with Bolt Web Hosting.
    They have a WSO on the forum: Click Here
    Signature

    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Elective Affinities (1809)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3581791].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Christian Little
      Originally Posted by DJL View Post

      I've been very pleased so far with Bolt Web Hosting.
      They have a WSO on the forum: Click Here
      Yay, Warriors are recommending us in separate threads! lol. We actually did a big update to our WSO today

      Seriously though, the problem with HG and dreamhost is that they oversell their resources. A typical server can handle 100-200 shared hosting accounts (sometimes more depending on a variety of packages). But when I was working at HG the least loaded shared server I saw had 400 shared accounts. It really sucks up the CPU, RAM, and uplink capabilities when that happens.

      That's what you get when you mix capitalism with technology, people get very greedy lol.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3584300].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ValentinJed
    I started with DreamHost but after moving from shared to dedicated my adsense income increased like 3x times.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3581955].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Adie
      Originally Posted by ValentinJed View Post

      I started with DreamHost but after moving from shared to dedicated my adsense income increased like 3x times.
      That's because people leaving the sites that doesn't load. Congrats.
      Signature



      Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

      Signature edited.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3582027].message }}

Trending Topics