Here's how my site works that is consistently doing $80-$120 a day:
- I created my own product that is a downloadable ebook... that's it, no backend yet.
- The niche is something where the main keyword only gets 500-600 phrase-matched searches a month according to Google(for the love of God, don't create a "make money online" product as your first product)
- The product is sold from my blog on the same subject that ranks in the top 3 of google for its keyword and a number of the derivative keywords
- When someone opts-in to my freebie list on the blog, the thank you page gives them a one-time offer for 40% off the product, and this converts a good percentage of the subscribers. They really do never get that offer again.
- The autoresponder sequence sends them a message a day for 6 days that gives more content, as well as offering them 30% off if they act by the sixth day after opting in. After 6 days, no more discount. Another decent percentage buy by the sixth email.
- Every blog post I write gets put into the autoresponder, so that every subscriber eventually sees all of my blog posts, and my website stays in their mind/inbox for months.
- When someone buys, they automatically get put on a buyers list(you use the email parser function inside of aweber)
- The buyers list has an autoresponder sequence setup that emails them every 3 days, giving them more and more information, sprinkled with very relevant/complimentary offers.
.... That's it in a nutshell right now. My product is on Clickbank, but affiliate sales are very rare, as 99% of traffic comes through search engines, and I haven't really tried getting JVs or anything.
I'm betting that when I get my backend product done that has audio and video, the site will make a lot more.