All BS Aside...I Need to Make Some Money NOW!

43 replies
Ok, I know that the title of this thread was a little dramatic. Or maybe not. Nope, I don't think it was at all.

You see, I'm facing a crisis right now and time is slipping away from me. I can see my way out of it, but that's about it. I'm trying to make my way out of it, and yet, nothing is happening for me.

Here's the situation.

I'm currently in default for unpaid rent for the month of March, and facing eviction because of it. If I don't come up with the rest of the money that I owe by Friday, me and my family will be out on the street. I don't want to go through the whole story of what happened that brought me to this point, and I'm sure that most of you wouldn't care to hear it anyway.

I'm not looking for some money to just land in my lap, but I am seeking help. And yes, I know that there is a thread titled "What to do if you're desperate," but that does me no good at the moment. I've tried getting help from social service agencies, but they don't have any available funding, and I don't have any family that I could get a loan from either. So, I've got to do this myself.

Now, I'm focused, and I've got a plan. I'm offering to write content for whoever may need it, but finding people to take me up on my offer isn't easy. And, sure, there's a section for people to post job offers; but I'm willing to be that 95% of people who need to hire someone don't post anything. Maybe they don't have the time or just don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to find a decent writer. Whatever the case, I want to know how I can find these people if they aren't actively looking to hire.

You might be laughing at me, but I don't care. I'm really trying to figure this thing out. And for those who care to give their advice, I truly appreciate you for doing so. I know that there's a lot of opportunity within this forum, and some people make five and six figures a month off of business retained here alone. I'm not looking for that...I'm just looking to get back on my feet. Once I have some security again, even if only temporary, I will start to focus on building up my business for the long term.
#asidei #make #money
  • Profile picture of the author koncorps
    Ok, here's how I see it.

    You're a good writer but you're over charging.

    When I started out I was charging 0.01/word (now I charge thousands depending on the project).

    The premise is simple ... get your work out there and build a customer base.

    Offer free reviews, discounted rates all to get customers in and at least work flowing.

    Maybe give first time customers a rate of 0.01/word which increases if they find the first batch of articles up to par.

    People don't mind paying for quality but considering that you don't have a WSO, testimonials or reviews of your product it's a tough sell.

    I don't know how much money you need to make but you can easily make 50$ per day writing articles if you put in 2-4 hours (might be more depending on your speed).

    Sign up on some other forums as well and start contacting clients like crazy. If you're serious about it I'd go off the wall with contacting potential prospects and putting myself out there.

    Best advice I can give you.

    Cheers,

    -Konstantin.
    Signature

    Signature appears.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621198].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GarrieWilson
    Pawn shop...
    Signature
    Screw You, NameCheap!
    $1 Off NameSilo Domain Coupons:

    SAVEABUCKDOMAINS & DOLLARDOMAINSAVINGS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621216].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      seriously looking online to keep you and your family in a house is not the way. Lean on family and secure a place to live. Don't leave your family up to the uncertainties of IM.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621248].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bretski
      Have to agree with Garrie at the moment. I've been there... not too long ago my house was in preforeclosure, had two court cases going on with the ex, been whacked with child support, legal fees and things weren't looking too great.

      While IM is a great way to build a business, I know that when I was facing becoming homeless all my efforts to make money online failed. I was too desperate, I think.

      What I did to give myself a little breathing room was to look at what I had to work with. I sold a car that I loved, pawned all my guns and sold anything that I could on craigslist. Then I concentrated on IM.

      Just my 2 cents but this is what I did.
      Signature
      ***Affordable Quality Content Written For You!***
      Experience Content Writer - PM Bretski!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621260].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Diane S
      There are hundreds of replies at the 'desperate' thread: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...desperate.html

      Craigslist and Fiverr are two of the quickest on the huge list....

      You writing prices are professional, but definitely not the going rate here at WF and so I have my doubts you will get customers here...

      Hope you find your solution...
      Signature
      KimW still needs our help DONATE DIRECTLY
      My First Kindle Book: Ten Days in the Land of Smile
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621275].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author celente
        Originally Posted by Diane S View Post

        There are hundreds of replies at the 'desperate' thread: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...desperate.html

        Craigslist and Fiverr are two of the quickest on the huge list....

        You writing prices are professional, but definitely not the going rate here at WF and so I have my doubts you will get customers here...

        Hope you find your solution...
        Yes you need to come back here, and keep reading but also you need to keep implementing things. I made the mistake when I first rocked up here of just reading for a god damn whole 12 months.

        What did I have to show for it ??? ....nothing.... because no action was taken on my behalf. And all that happend was I was on INFO OVERLOAD.... that is like getting one of those slurpee brain freezes. OUCH!

        So learn something, stick to one thing and work it until it makes you money. Then just scale that up.

        I hope you get the results you are after. Takes hard work but make sure you take action. That will breed results that you can upscale when you find your niche literally.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3622856].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pdrs
    The writing thing might work but you've really got to #1 - lower your prices. My company offers quality 500 word reviews/articles at $10 a pop and it's tough to get good volume at those prices even. #2 - advertise in warriors for hire, give away some review copies and get some social proof.

    Honestly, if you need money quick, thats your best bet, but it really depends on how much you need. You'd probably be better off hitting up a temp agency or something of that nature to get some quick work.
    Signature
    RemoteControlHelicopterReviews.(com/net) - Up for sale! No reasonable offer refused. Great branding for a super hot niche!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621281].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael D Forbes
    2 days and you're on the streets? Yikes.

    You need more than a couple writing gigs to beat that, but I really do hope some Warriors bite. I'd sell my furniture and dishes before I'd let my family lose their home.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621304].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mlhearing
    If your post is any indication of your article-writing abilities, I'd say that, at $17.50 per 500-word article, you are UNDER-pricing your articles.

    I know that's no help right now--but it could be in the future.

    Michael
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621374].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
    I just sent you a PM with a very viable strategy you can use right away. PM me with any questions. I would have posted it here in this thread but thought better of it because I don't want everyone to know this information.

    Also, there is a lot of chatter in a thread and can easily get lost amongst everything else going on. What you need is clarity and I just sent it to you in the form of 5 steps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621445].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author edv
    I have to agree with the rest of the folks, internet business needs time to develop. As koncorps already said, you need a good customer base to start with. I wish you the best of luck and a good successful business.
    Signature
    AffiliationSexShop.net
    white label affiliation and dropshipping sex shop
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621474].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author settingsail
    I am in a similar situation.

    Cut monthly expenses man. Drop everything. Remove all luxury from your life. If the situation is as serious as you're wording it then as a man you must do what needs to be done.

    I am about to be living in a stain filled dirty hotel room for 4 months eating chips, bagels, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and water, maybe some kool aid, every day for 4 months while working 80 hours a week. I'm 25 years old no wife or kids, but every dollar that I make has to be spent towards getting what you already have and already had at my age, plus my documentary project. By the time I am 26 years old I'll finally be getting what everyone else already has.

    Something to think about. Maybe the things you take for granted can be taken out of the equation temporarily so that you can have some extra money. Pawn shop as one person suggested. You can get those things back in time.

    Just saying...if your situation is real, which I am doubting because I believe nothing I read no matter what it is (nothing against you personally, it is me not you)...then get the pen and pad out and make a list of everything you can sell, everything you can save monthly, every way you can make some extra money, any side jobs you can get, trying to find a second part time job.

    Or you will be out on the streets as you said.

    You could try approaching someone else who is already making money and see if they will put you on with what they are doing in exchange for giving them a percent of everything you make. That might work. It would be a fair exchange, straight deal.

    You could also try the personal approach, blogging about your personal life and struggle, but it looks like you are on a time limit here and it would take a month or two for you to get a few hundred daily readers, still worth a try though. Then you could sell a T-Shirt or something, make 10-20 sales and put it towards the bills.

    You could sell your soul to the devil.

    You could try personal loan sites like prosper.com and lendingclub.com

    Do what you gotta do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author letsmakemoney
    Hey mike Hill do you have a email address so I can ask you a question?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author peter gibson
    Originally Posted by koncorps View Post

    Ok, here's how I see it.

    You're a good writer but you're over charging.


    I will never get used to someone seriously suggesting that a quality writer needs to charge 0.01 per word. Never. OP, listen to this advice to your own detriment.

    If you are a quality writer, which it seems you could be, ask for what you believe you deserve. You will find webmasters willing to pay for it as long as the skill-set is there and verifiable by example. You may not find too many here because IM is not the best place to ply your craft - many folks here just want filler, and the written word is secondary to just getting keyword rich stuff up fast. Remember that the IM market isn't the only game in town.

    Since the google farmer/panda update, quality writing is now more in demand than ever. The typical 0.01 articles are notoriously skewed, keyword stuffed bullsh!t, mostly written by folks who have very little command of the English language, let alone proper writing skills. That's not to say quality does not exist at such low prices, but I've been at this for 6 years now and I've yet to find 1 example of a good writer within that pay scale.

    I'm telling you this to point out that there are plenty of cats just like me, folks who regularly pay thousands every month for tons of quality content, people who wouldn't even consider a writer who sells themselves so short. If you pitched to me @ 0.01 per word I'd already assume you don't have the confidence in your skills to do a consistently good job for my site network, thus you wouldn't get the jobs I might have to offer. It's that simple.

    IMO, you will lose more customers than you gain by charging so little.

    What you charge as a writer is a direct reflection on how good you think you are - to the people who want to hire you. If your words can back your charges, NEVER sell yourself short, desperate or not.

    PM me your email and an example of what you can do. I'll keep it on file - and if it's good work I'll send it around to some folks. If it's real good I can throw some work your way within the month myself, depending on the workload I end up throwing at my own writers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621695].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theory expert
    Banned
    Go to fivver and pay someone $5 to write a description. Tell them that you want them to create accounts promoting your writing service to all known/relevant, freelance, advertising, and, forum sites.Question:Why don't you have a description in the warrior for hire section here?

    .....Sorry to say, I don't have a secret sauce to help you other than the obvious. In order to have customers they have to know your selling something. If you're on every clone fivver site, craigslist, elance, webmaster, DP, social net sites, etc etc, with your prewritten description promoting your service, then you can't help, but, get noticed.

    Wish you well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621732].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GarrieWilson
    I didnt read the OP fully the first time but I have now...

    1. If you are only behind for the current month, they wont evict you and if they want to, it's a 60+ day process.

    2. You are offering a service in your post which is a no no.

    Instead of being online, you should be pounding the pavement looking for a JOB and/or...

    1. Goto a pawn shop
    2. Buy a squeege and offer to clean business windows for 10-20 bucks. It works.
    3. Goto a small car lot and offer to wash cars
    4. Sell plasma

    Lots of ways to get money.
    Signature
    Screw You, NameCheap!
    $1 Off NameSilo Domain Coupons:

    SAVEABUCKDOMAINS & DOLLARDOMAINSAVINGS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621825].message }}
  • Depends how much you need to pay in arrears.

    I saw on some shows, some people would make cookies or do something interesting outside of popular places, and people would pay them for it (after some begging).

    Lie if you have to, but I've seen it done and people have made 50-100 bucks doing that in one sitting. Do it a few times and you have a couple hundred bucks.

    Best I got.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621861].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ejb2059
    I have no other advice to offer however, I will keep you in my prayers

    Rev
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3621991].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Algorithms
    First off, I am deeply sorry for the problems you and your family are facing at the moment. If it were just me, I could tough it out, and probably live in my car till I was able to get back on my feet. But I could not begin to imagine being in your shoes with a family. You will get through this though, and without a doubt, come out stronger on the other side. We are never given more than we can handle, although I know it's hard for you to believe a word of that right now.

    If you are good with your hands and fixing things, perhaps you could offer to do maintenance for your landlord? That would save him money on having to pay someone to do it, and maybe he would give you free rent in exchange.

    I will keep you in my prayers as well.

    Good Luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3622089].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Riz
    Sorry to hear about your situation.

    From your post you mention that you and your family will be evicted on Friday as you are in arrears of rent by 1 month.

    In the UK a Landlord cannot evict a tenant without a legal procedure. That takes several months. Also, they cannot evict if you are 1 month in arrears. I'm sure there must be laws protecting tenants in the US. I would immediately seek advice from a Solicitor or a similar free service (in the uk we have the Citizens advice Bureau)

    Some Landlords try to take advantage of vulnerable tenants.

    Hope that helps.

    Riz
    Signature
    NEWBIES - Stuck on Technical Issues?

    Ask me For a FREE copy of my upcoming course that will eliminate all your technical gremlins....:
    SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE NOW!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3622518].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author letsmakemoney
    I understand you situation dearly because I am in the same situation. Keep tryin like I am and maybe one day we will be success stories on here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3622827].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jordan Kovats
    To take a bit of pressure off of yourself, have you tried buying some time with your landlord and or creditors? Many people can be reasoned with provided you have some form of plan in place. Can you do jobs for your landlord to help buy some time? It is hard to work effectively, and get a clear grasp of your circumstances when the time pressure is hovering over your head.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3622991].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Colin Palfrey
    Making that much money within one day is not going to be easy. Other than anything else, you must consider the time it takes PayPal to pass the money on to your bank.

    How much is it you actually need?

    Rent prices vary wildly depending on many factors, so the amount you need may or may not be possible in one day. For instance, a months rent on my place is just over $3k but my brother only pays $250

    As to your rate (As it was mentioned above), the only problem I see is your lack of reputation, unless you have one elsewhere. Social proof does make a big difference to the rate/speed you can get orders.

    Good luck!

    Cheers,
    Colin Palfrey
    Signature

    I write articles and eBooks - PM me for details!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3623003].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RhondaG
      There are lots of good replies to this question and the fact is that usually the Internet is not going to be a get rich quick, or make money today type of work.

      If you are a good writer, you can make some money fairly quick, however you said by Friday, so don't know about that.

      I have a flourishing ghostwriting business that was started by working for places like fiverr. I have paid my dues and now I not only make more money, but I am a better writer. Once you get several customers, it will grow even bigger from referrals. Nothing happens overnight, but don't give up on your dreams.

      And although you don't make a lot of money, places like textbroker pay twice a month. There is also a place called ecopywriters.com that pays about 9 to 10 per article but they are usually kind of specialized. So maybe those things will help.

      I wish you all the luck and success in the world.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3623232].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Doug Wakefield
        I have to agree with Colin. You may have writing ability, but you lack reputation. Being desperate, you may consider dropping your rate from $20 a page to $10. I wouldn't advise going lower as you should find plenty of work at that price.

        I may be wrong too. You may be at a point where even cheaper writing is the answer. Colin shared a story in his ghostwriting book about how he had to get a huge amount of money in a short amount of time and wrote logs of cheap articles to pay that bill.

        This doesn't mean you cannot still promote your $20 content, just do what you need to do in the short term to make thing work.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3623316].message }}
  • Originally Posted by GStevens View Post

    Ok, I know that the title of this thread was a little dramatic. Or maybe not. Nope, I don't think it was at all.

    You see, I'm facing a crisis right now and time is slipping away from me. I can see my way out of it, but that's about it. I'm trying to make my way out of it, and yet, nothing is happening for me.

    Here's the situation.

    I'm currently in default for unpaid rent for the month of March, and facing eviction because of it. If I don't come up with the rest of the money that I owe by Friday, me and my family will be out on the street. I don't want to go through the whole story of what happened that brought me to this point, and I'm sure that most of you wouldn't care to hear it anyway.

    I'm not looking for some money to just land in my lap, but I am seeking help. And yes, I know that there is a thread titled "What to do if you're desperate," but that does me no good at the moment. I've tried getting help from social service agencies, but they don't have any available funding, and I don't have any family that I could get a loan from either. So, I've got to do this myself.

    Now, I'm focused, and I've got a plan. I'm offering to write content for whoever may need it, but finding people to take me up on my offer isn't easy. And, sure, there's a section for people to post job offers; but I'm willing to be that 95% of people who need to hire someone don't post anything. Maybe they don't have the time or just don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to find a decent writer. Whatever the case, I want to know how I can find these people if they aren't actively looking to hire.

    You might be laughing at me, but I don't care. I'm really trying to figure this thing out. And for those who care to give their advice, I truly appreciate you for doing so. I know that there's a lot of opportunity within this forum, and some people make five and six figures a month off of business retained here alone. I'm not looking for that...I'm just looking to get back on my feet. Once I have some security again, even if only temporary, I will start to focus on building up my business for the long term.
    GStevens,

    Sorry to hear about your predicament; however, just so you know, they can't evict you that quickly. It needs to go through proper legal proceedings, and the process can take months. So hang in there!

    Therefore, in the meantime, check out this thread and pay particular attention to Marcia Yudkin's posts. It really is an eye-opener. Here's the thread:

    http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...ne-easily.html

    Now, a way to get these writing jobs is to do a JV (Joint Venture) with other people on Craigslist who are currently advertising their Web Design and/or SEO services. Ask them if they would also like to offer a writing service to their existing clientele. This way, if their clients are interested, they will forward the work to you and you will provide the writing service and you split the profits.

    It's a win/win/win situation: The Web Designer's client gets offered a new service they want/need, the Web Designer/SEO specialist gets some unexpected new service to offer their clients and YOU get what you want -- $$$ NOW! Which by the way should happen pretty quickly and for FAR more then what you're currently charging.

    Let me know if you think this method will work for you. If you need help in contacting potential Web Designers/SEO specialists, in order for you to offer your writing services, please PM me, as I will be more than happy to assist you.

    Cheers,

    JMB
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3623426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author khairulazan
    Just relying on IM in desperate time is not good for me...

    for me, I seek comfortable feeling first..why not meet someone that can make I feel better like motivator or caunselor..only after that I make decision how to do to save my family because on that time I'm thinking peacely..

    Another thing, to be successful fast..we need to have a mentor..just seek out a successful mentor that can guide you to your success.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3623484].message }}
    • Originally Posted by khairulazan View Post

      Just relying on IM in desperate time is not good for me...

      for me, I seek comfortable feeling first..why not meet someone that can make I feel better like motivator or caunselor..only after that I make decision how to do to save my family because on that time I'm thinking peacely..

      Another thing, to be successful fast..we need to have a mentor..just seek out a successful mentor that can guide you to your success.
      Khairulazan,

      Just a heads up, in case you're not aware, but when I click on your link this is what it says:

      Server not found

      Firefox can't find the server at ‬khairulazan.wordpress.com.

      JMB
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3623513].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    Dear GStevens,

    I cannot help you make fast money online. However, I can help you slowly build a passive income online by creating Squidoo lenses without spending anything. You have to create many quality lenses in order to make real money. You also have to respect Squidoo’s rules.

    Here is a lens that teaches you how to easily create many Squidoo lenses:

    http://www.squidoo.com/passive-income-website-traffic-squidoo-beginners-guide

    If I knew how to create Squidoo lenses in the beginning of my adventures online I wouldn’t have spent so much money building my own business…

    Another good option, since you are a writer, is to write quality articles for one of the best freelance websites online: Constant Content. You’ll be able to sell your articles for very good prices there. However, CC’s guidelines are too complicated. Send me a PM if you want to learn more details about how to work there. You have to be serious and write perfect articles. However, this is not such a big deal. You can learn their style and work there if you are a good writer. You won’t make fast money there, but you will make a lot of money if you are a regular content producer.

    My solutions take time and a lot of work, but they are real. If you are serious, you will make money this way.

    In the meanwhile, get a job, do something else to make money now, and work online whenever you have the chance.

    Believe in miracles, and keep working…



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3623622].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author truly_gifted
    I notice that a lot of you are saying that they can't evict me that soon. Well, I'm only going by what I've been told by the apartment manager. I don't know what the procedure is in Texas, but I will call the courthouse tomorrow and find out. I've been so worried about coming up with the rest of the rent that I never stopped to think of that. Common sense kind of escapes you when your mind is clouded with worry, I suppose.

    Anyhow, the pawn shop is a no-go. I don't have anything to pawn. I know that's probably hard for most of you to believe, but I live without the luxuries that most would consider the norm. For the past six months, I've been rebuilding my life from absolutely nothing. And, with all sincerity, I truly mean nothing. You see, I had no choice but to start over. I lost everything, well almost everything.

    We're still living, and that in itself is a blessing. It's something that I will never take for granted because there are so many who lose there lives everyday; I'm thankful that we wake up every morning and I'm thankful for what little we do have. We have food to eat and clean water to drink; we have running electricity; and we have clean clothes to wear and shoes on our feet. We may not have a lot, but that's okay. It could be worse, so I count my blessings day by day.

    I remember the days when I thought a TV was important or I needed to have a cell phone. Well, I don't think I need those things anymore. I remember when I thought I would always have a constant cashflow, and that I would always "have it covered." I certainly don't have it covered right now.

    This computer that I'm on isn't even mine. It's borrowed, and my Internet connection is WIFI. And while I do have a working phone, it's only because I overpaid the bill a couple of months ago by accident; the electric company gave me an extension on my current bill, but I'm not so fortunate with my rent.

    So, now, you're probably wondering what the heck I've been doing to get in such an ugly situation. I'm not going to tell you everything, but I will say this much.

    Since last September, I had been in and out of the hospital due to pregnancy complications and other health issues. Fast forward to January, I was hospitalized until I delivered my baby in March. Well, I didn't make it to March; I had to undergo an emergency c-section in February to avoid possibly losing my baby or even dying myself. And now, I'm recovering from surgery, and just trying to keep things from falling apart.

    After what happened last year, I tried to set aside every spare dime I had. I thought I was well prepared, but this situation has proven me wrong.

    "You never know what tomorrow will bring, and when you think you're prepared for the worst, it's only because you don't know what the worst is."
    Signature
    Is your offline business picking up, but the work of building websites got you down?
    For just $100, I will build and customize a full 5 page Wordpress website for your clients.

    SPECIAL OFFER FIRST 5 WARRIORS - BUY 1 GET 1 FREE!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3623649].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Linda_C
      Sending you a PM...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3623754].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Cali16
        Hi GStevens, my heart goes out to you!! I am sending you a pm with an idea and some other info. I hope it helps!
        Signature
        If you don't face your fears, the only thing you'll ever see is what's in your comfort zone. ~Anne McClain, astronaut
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3623975].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TrekkieGrrrl
      Originally Posted by GStevens View Post

      I notice that a lot of you are saying that they can't evict me that soon. Well, I'm only going by what I've been told by the apartment manager. I don't know what the procedure is in Texas, but I will call the courthouse tomorrow and find out. I've been so worried about coming up with the rest of the rent that I never stopped to think of that. Common sense kind of escapes you when your mind is clouded with worry, I suppose.

      Anyhow, the pawn shop is a no-go. I don't have anything to pawn. I know that's probably hard for most of you to believe, but I live without the luxuries that most would consider the norm. For the past six months, I've been rebuilding my life from absolutely nothing. And, with all sincerity, I truly mean nothing. You see, I had no choice but to start over. I lost everything, well almost everything.

      We're still living, and that in itself is a blessing. It's something that I will never take for granted because there are so many who lose there lives everyday; I'm thankful that we wake up every morning and I'm thankful for what little we do have. We have food to eat and clean water to drink; we have running electricity; and we have clean clothes to wear and shoes on our feet. We may not have a lot, but that's okay. It could be worse, so I count my blessings day by day.

      I remember the days when I thought a TV was important or I needed to have a cell phone. Well, I don't think I need those things anymore. I remember when I thought I would always have a constant cashflow, and that I would always "have it covered." I certainly don't have it covered right now.

      This computer that I'm on isn't even mine. It's borrowed, and my Internet connection is WIFI. And while I do have a working phone, it's only because I overpaid the bill a couple of months ago by accident; the electric company gave me an extension on my current bill, but I'm not so fortunate with my rent.

      So, now, you're probably wondering what the heck I've been doing to get in such an ugly situation. I'm not going to tell you everything, but I will say this much.

      Since last September, I had been in and out of the hospital due to pregnancy complications and other health issues. Fast forward to January, I was hospitalized until I delivered my baby in March. Well, I didn't make it to March; I had to undergo an emergency c-section in February to avoid possibly losing my baby or even dying myself. And now, I'm recovering from surgery, and just trying to keep things from falling apart.

      After what happened last year, I tried to set aside every spare dime I had. I thought I was well prepared, but this situation has proven me wrong.

      "You never know what tomorrow will bring, and when you think you're prepared for the worst, it's only because you don't know what the worst is."
      Almost 15 years ago, all I had to my name was my purse (with next to nothing in it) and two small boxes of possessions. I feel your pain.

      The first thing that you need to do is to find out when your eviction will be final. In some states, the process is quite quick. In other states, you have more time. You need to get on the phone and find out exactly when they will remove you from the apartment. Find out if there is any way that you can make a partial payment and delay removal from your home.

      I know that in some states you will have a chance to plead your case in front of a judge before the eviction will be signed. You need to find out if this is an option for you. If it is, you need to see if you can install the proceedings since you say that you have had medical issues. In some states that kind of thing can be taken into consideration. In other states, it won't make a difference. You need to make sure you find out exactly what you are up against. If you have been served with an eviction notice, there should be contact information on the paperwork so that you can contest it.

      Now, you need to do something about the income part of it.

      Writing can be a long-term business model, but it may not help you for the short-term.

      My suggestion may take you out of your comfort zone, but if you are serious about trying to save your home/apartment, then do this:

      1. Go join The Telemarketing Forum - Index and start reading. Yes, it's about telemarketing, but it is something that you can do to make money quickly. That doesn't mean that it is easy or that it will be something you necessarily like doing, but it can keep a roof over your head and food on your table.

      2. Read this thread - http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...knowledge.html - and not just for the how-to posts. Read the success stories. Get inspiration. Other people have done a lot when their back having been against the wall - you can, too.

      If you need help or a pep talk, send me a PM.
      Signature

      Hab SoSlI' Quch!
      YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary LLaP = Live Long and Prosper
      Please Donate To KimW - Warrior needs a kidney transplant
      Coming Soon - the Greatest WSO in History!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3624174].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author scrofford
        Originally Posted by TrekkieGrrrl View Post

        Almost 15 years ago, all I had to my name was my purse (with next to nothing in it) and two small boxes of possessions. I feel your pain.

        The first thing that you need to do is to find out when your eviction will be final. In some states, the process is quite quick. In other states, you have more time. You need to get on the phone and find out exactly when they will remove you from the apartment. Find out if there is any way that you can make a partial payment and delay removal from your home.

        I know that in some states you will have a chance to plead your case in front of a judge before the eviction will be signed. You need to find out if this is an option for you. If it is, you need to see if you can install the proceedings since you say that you have had medical issues. In some states that kind of thing can be taken into consideration. In other states, it won't make a difference. You need to make sure you find out exactly what you are up against. If you have been served with an eviction notice, there should be contact information on the paperwork so that you can contest it.

        Now, you need to do something about the income part of it.

        Writing can be a long-term business model, but it may not help you for the short-term.

        My suggestion may take you out of your comfort zone, but if you are serious about trying to save your home/apartment, then do this:

        1. Go join The Telemarketing Forum - Index and start reading. Yes, it's about telemarketing, but it is something that you can do to make money quickly. That doesn't mean that it is easy or that it will be something you necessarily like doing, but it can keep a roof over your head and food on your table.

        2. Read this thread - http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...knowledge.html - and not just for the how-to posts. Read the success stories. Get inspiration. Other people have done a lot when their back having been against the wall - you can, too.

        If you need help or a pep talk, send me a PM.
        This is some awesome information and I want to thank you for posting it! I know the threads were here on the WF but I didn't know about them so thank you very much! I suspect it will help more than people in a pinch!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3628649].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
          From the events that you describe have you filled out Section 8 paper work ? I'm not sure of Texas law, but since you have a family they will take that into consideration. I wish I could offer you more, I hope the best for you
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3629061].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TrekkieGrrrl
          Originally Posted by scrofford View Post

          This is some awesome information and I want to thank you for posting it! I know the threads were here on the WF but I didn't know about them so thank you very much! I suspect it will help more than people in a pinch!
          I'm glad you found it helpful.
          Signature

          Hab SoSlI' Quch!
          YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary LLaP = Live Long and Prosper
          Please Donate To KimW - Warrior needs a kidney transplant
          Coming Soon - the Greatest WSO in History!

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3629735].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author donhx
    I like the quote by Gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson. He said, "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." You just have to shake the trees sometimes.
    Signature
    Quality content to beat the competition. Personalized Author Services
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3623658].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author truly_gifted
    Okay, so I found out a little bit of information about the laws out here in Texas. I haven't been served with any legal documents yet, so I have at least until that happens. I'm still trying to get ahold of someone to find out exactly how long I have until they actually evict us, but no one has been clear. So, my only concern at this point is getting the money to pay what is in arrears.

    Right now, I'm down $500 and as of tomorrow, my rent will be due for April. But, my main goal is to get the $500 for March out of the way. If I can do that, I will at least be caught up, even if it is just temporarily.

    Now, you guys have provided me with a ton of valuable suggestions within this thread. And although some of them require money to put into action, many of them don't. I know you guys have tried to discourage me from trying to "write" my way out of this situation, but right now, it's a viable option.

    I have been doing some cold calling as well, as a way to get some web design clients. So far, though, I've gotten no bites on my offer. But, I'll keep trying. I know of quite a few people that have gone from broke to secure in a matter of days selling websites on the phone, so maybe I'll become one of them. There are just as many opportunities to make a buck offline as there are online, so I'm trying my best not to rule anything out if at all possible.

    And to each and every one of my fellow Warriors who have taken part in this thread, I thank you for taking out the time to offer your comments and suggestions.
    Signature
    Is your offline business picking up, but the work of building websites got you down?
    For just $100, I will build and customize a full 5 page Wordpress website for your clients.

    SPECIAL OFFER FIRST 5 WARRIORS - BUY 1 GET 1 FREE!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3628132].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TrekkieGrrrl
      Since you have more than just two days, you can certainly work on more than one front.

      Writing, offline marketing, etc.
      Signature

      Hab SoSlI' Quch!
      YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary LLaP = Live Long and Prosper
      Please Donate To KimW - Warrior needs a kidney transplant
      Coming Soon - the Greatest WSO in History!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3628365].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TrekkieGrrrl
      Originally Posted by GStevens View Post

      Okay, so I found out a little bit of information about the laws out here in Texas. I haven't been served with any legal documents yet, so I have at least until that happens. I'm still trying to get ahold of someone to find out exactly how long I have until they actually evict us, but no one has been clear. So, my only concern at this point is getting the money to pay what is in arrears.

      Right now, I'm down $500 and as of tomorrow, my rent will be due for April. But, my main goal is to get the $500 for March out of the way. If I can do that, I will at least be caught up, even if it is just temporarily.

      Now, you guys have provided me with a ton of valuable suggestions within this thread. And although some of them require money to put into action, many of them don't. I know you guys have tried to discourage me from trying to "write" my way out of this situation, but right now, it's a viable option.

      I have been doing some cold calling as well, as a way to get some web design clients. So far, though, I've gotten no bites on my offer. But, I'll keep trying. I know of quite a few people that have gone from broke to secure in a matter of days selling websites on the phone, so maybe I'll become one of them. There are just as many opportunities to make a buck offline as there are online, so I'm trying my best not to rule anything out if at all possible.

      And to each and every one of my fellow Warriors who have taken part in this thread, I thank you for taking out the time to offer your comments and suggestions.
      Here is a place to start: Texas Evictions

      BUT - laws change and are updated, and some counties or cities may have special provisions.

      You need to talk to someone to find out exactly how much time you have.

      Another thing to think about:

      In some states, if you are being evicted for non-payment of rent - even if you get current with your payments - the landlord can still file the final eviction notice. You need to make sure you have proof of payment and have that filed with whatever court you are dealing with.
      Signature

      Hab SoSlI' Quch!
      YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary LLaP = Live Long and Prosper
      Please Donate To KimW - Warrior needs a kidney transplant
      Coming Soon - the Greatest WSO in History!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3628388].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seobro
    I will take a different tack on how to solve your problem, mostly looking at it from the perspective of the owner. OK can you pay part of the rent like half is usually OK on average. Most owners will take less if you have been there several years.

    The idea is that you are showing good faith in doing a partial pay. I own several properties and my biggest problem is getting people to pay. A tenant that pays regular gets more leeway than a slow pay.

    Is there work you can do for the owner. Like paint fences, trim hedges, fix a broken gate, mow grass. Busy work that you can do for the owner. Or can you show properties or collect rent for the owner.

    Typically there are many units that are empty thanks to our poor economy. Evictions cost a lot of money. Also, the property sits empty many months or even a year.

    Put yourself in the place of the owner. Like can you get a relative to move in with you. They can help pay. Also, can you sublet out a room.

    Typically the owner needs money. Taxes are approx $4000/yr for a house that rents for $1,000/mo. Also, there is insurance. Like that can run $3000/yr for a commercial property. Add in other expenses. The owner typically needs $800/mo to break even.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3629338].message }}
  • All BS aside, and considering your dire situation, the kind of FAST solution you require is not feasibly found online.

    I'd say getting any quick job to pay the imminent bills is what you need to do: flip burgers, park cars, deliver pizzas, etc. That kind of stuff.

    You need ANY kind of job ASAP man, work extra shifts for a month or two, pay off the bills, and then sit back and think carefully your next steps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3629360].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexander Lessa
    I hope everything gets worked out for you... I heard of a law that they can't evict you
    if you have a newborn. I don't know the details. I also could be mistaking it with if somebody is pregnant. Hopefully all of this can be worked out... I would definitely look into opening an account on Fiverr.com and offer some sort of service... Get creative with it. Look around you'll get many ideas.

    You can also create a post here on "Warriors for Hire" and offer to write for donations starting at minimum $50... The more they donate the more they get... Think up of some bonuses, etc... to offer as well... If you get 10 people to pay you $50 thats $500 right there. Make sure you have a paypal account set up so that you can receive payment.

    Also, become someones Virtual Assistant for a few weeks... Create a post with the services you can provide. Right now what we need to worry about is keeping you afloat and building off of that.

    I wish you the best of luck!
    Signature

    Connect With Me And Download a Copy of My FREE Online Explosion Blueprint At: www.AlexanderLessa.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3679942].message }}

Trending Topics