Why Aren't More People Guest Blogging?

55 replies
With the whole hoopla around EZA, why aren't more of you guest blogging?

I think guest blogging is a great way to get very high quality do-follow backlinks. Sure, you have to work a bit harder, but the results are worth the effort.

What's holding people back? The need to write quality articles, the problem of finding quality blogs to write for, or cold feet when it comes to sending a proposal?

If you are a quick writer, I assume you can easily write 2 articles a day for guest blogging. Just a handful of backlinks from relevant sites in your niche will have great SEO benefits.

Just type in your niche + "write for us" into Google to find relevant sites. For ex: 'saving money + "Write for us"' throws up several blogs/sites that accept articles in lieu for a backlink.

So, why aren't more people in IM doing it? Am I over estimating the benefits from guest blogging?
#blogging #guest #people
  • Profile picture of the author christopher jon
    What's holding people back?
    My guess, an inability to actually write quality unique articles based on original ideas.

    Read this forum. Do you really want some of these people putting words on your site? I know I don't. I commit enough written atrocities on my own without the need for help from others.
    Signature
    It buys my product or it gets the hose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3631869].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SparringMind
      Originally Posted by christopher jon View Post

      My guess, an inability to actually write quality unique articles based on original ideas.

      Read this forum. Do you really want some of these people putting words on your site? I know I don't. I commit enough written atrocities on my own without the need for help from others.
      Laughed out loud at this. However, if you can find another talented writer in your niche, a partnership of guest posts can be really beneficial.
      Signature
      Find yourself... or find yourself lacking.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3970829].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amrutg
    Many feels that it is better to write on our blog instead of writing for others. It may add to number of pages and articles to our own site, giving more scope for search engines and traffic.

    Further there are also doubts about baclinks from other blogs. I was enquired for blog posts by many but nothing tangible came out after sending positive response to them.
    Signature

    Useful,informative articles on health,diet,exercise,home remedies,beauty,stress management, depression,happiness,fitness and much more -
    http://www.freebesthealth.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3631922].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cashcow
    Guest blogging can be great for traffic as well as SEO, but in order to get your article published on an authority blog you have to write an awesome article that is strictly for that blog only (i.e you cannot publish it anywhere else).

    I'm sure there are some here that do just that but I would be willing to be that is too much work for most.

    Lee
    Signature
    Gone Fishing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3631937].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TiffanyAnne
    I think most people just don't realize how beneficial guest blogging is. I have a blog which got about 7000 visitors a month before guest blogging and after the first 3-4 guest blogs climbed to 13,000 visitor per month. I sort of stumbled into guest blogging because people asked me to blog for them - but now I actually go out and approach people about guest blogging on their site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3631984].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NicoleBeckett
    I've often wondered the same thing. Guest blogging is a great way to get your expertise, name, and link out in front of targeted traffic. Plus, you get the benefit of 2 people promoting your work (you and the blog owner) What more could you want?

    With services like My Blog Guest and Cathy Stucker's, it's easier than ever to find guest blog opportunities.

    Makes you wonder if some people are so busy looking for "shortcuts" and "quick fixes" that the idea of actual work goes right over their heads
    Signature
    Sick of blending in with the crowd? Ready to stand ahead of the pack? The right content writing services can get you there...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3632204].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cashcow
      Originally Posted by NicoleBeckett View Post

      Makes you wonder if some people are so busy looking for "shortcuts" and "quick fixes" that the idea of actual work goes right over their heads
      Well I think that can be true.

      Also, a lot of people like to make a bunch of small niche websites on particular products and guest blogging is really more for people that are focused on one area and want to make a brand/name for themselves.

      Lee
      Signature
      Gone Fishing
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3632281].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Peggy Baron
        Guest blogging is definitely beneficial for growing your traffic, but I think some people get a little intimidated.

        They're afraid to approach the blogger and ask to do a guest post.
        They're afraid they have nothing original and valuable to say that hasn't already been said before on that blog.

        Peggy
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3632442].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Shook
        Originally Posted by cashcow View Post

        Well I think that can be true.

        Also, a lot of people like to make a bunch of small niche websites on particular products and guest blogging is really more for people that are focused on one area and want to make a brand/name for themselves.

        Lee
        I would imagine it is harder to find blogs to post on when your site is about automatic ice cream maker replacement paddles.

        Nothing wrong with those kinds of sites, they just don't lend well to a conversation model.

        There seems to have been a trend in the last couple of years to go for the smaller, more narrowly focused sites. Building an entire site around a single keyword. It can work (I don't know if it works as well as it did before).

        Guest blogging is more of a "real" blogging idea. Lots of folks use WP now as a platform, but they turn off the comments, disallow trackbacks and pingbacks and in general do not use their site as a conversation platform. I think guest blogging is more in line with the way that blog platforms were originally designed, to create and enhance relationships.

        I suspect that many people would rather just build their sites and be done with it. Kind of like the "set it and forget it" model. Nothing wrong with that either, it just does not lead to well rounded relationships.
        Signature


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3632525].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author bettersocial
          Originally Posted by JMichaelZ View Post

          I would imagine it is harder to find blogs to post on when your site is about automatic ice cream maker replacement paddles.

          Nothing wrong with those kinds of sites, they just don't lend well to a conversation model.

          There seems to have been a trend in the last couple of years to go for the smaller, more narrowly focused sites. Building an entire site around a single keyword. It can work (I don't know if it works as well as it did before).

          Guest blogging is more of a "real" blogging idea. Lots of folks use WP now as a platform, but they turn off the comments, disallow trackbacks and pingbacks and in general do not use their site as a conversation platform. I think guest blogging is more in line with the way that blog platforms were originally designed, to create and enhance relationships.

          I suspect that many people would rather just build their sites and be done with it. Kind of like the "set it and forget it" model. Nothing wrong with that either, it just does not lead to well rounded relationships.
          This is what I've been trying to move away from. Mini sites, while they have their uses, are quite limited in their scope. I worked with them for quite some time, made some money, but realized that they require too much effort to be effective.

          Besides, the marketing opportunities available for micro niche sites are very limited. Twitter, Digg, etc. are all ruled out if your site is about "treadmill model x2141". Plus, I've seen many webmasters delete my link or refuse to entertain my proposals for link exchanges/blog posts because of perceived "spamminess". And there are the unpredictable changes in Google's algorithm to boot.

          Building larger sites has been far more enjoyable so far. I feel like I'm actually creating something that adds value to the internet. Hopefully, I'll see much more positive results from it in the near future.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3633536].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Michael Shook
            Originally Posted by sashas View Post

            This is what I've been trying to move away from. Mini sites, while they have their uses, are quite limited in their scope. I worked with them for quite some time, made some money, but realized that they require too much effort to be effective.

            Besides, the marketing opportunities available for micro niche sites are very limited. Twitter, Digg, etc. are all ruled out if your site is about "treadmill model x2141". Plus, I've seen many webmasters delete my link or refuse to entertain my proposals for link exchanges/blog posts because of perceived "spamminess". And there are the unpredictable changes in Google's algorithm to boot.

            Building larger sites has been far more enjoyable so far. I feel like I'm actually creating something that adds value to the internet. Hopefully, I'll see much more positive results from it in the near future.
            Some of my sites are pretty small and have done really well throughout all the algorithm changes. Some of those have climbed over the tops of other sites that use a similar structure. I have always striven to produce good content for my sites and I think this is one of the major reasons why they are still doing so well.

            Like you are saying, though, I am moving more towards larger sites. In part, just as you were saying that the smaller sites now require as much as or more work than a larger more authority type of site.

            I do think that mini sites or even micor sites can add value, if for example they offer a great deal on something a person really needs or wants. No problem, there.

            But I do really like the feeling that I am contributing to the internet as a whole with bigger and broader sites. I like that feeling and it seems much easier to get guest blogging opportunities and get my exteral links to stick.

            This is a nice thread Sasha, thank you for starting it up.
            Signature


            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3633786].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author James Clark
              I don't know the answer. But its a great way to drive traffic to your web site. But honestly, I'm so busy trying to understanding the traffic that I'm getting now. (LOL)
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3633853].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author bettersocial
              Originally Posted by JMichaelZ View Post

              Some of my sites are pretty small and have done really well throughout all the algorithm changes. Some of those have climbed over the tops of other sites that use a similar structure. I have always striven to produce good content for my sites and I think this is one of the major reasons why they are still doing so well.

              Like you are saying, though, I am moving more towards larger sites. In part, just as you were saying that the smaller sites now require as much as or more work than a larger more authority type of site.

              I do think that mini sites or even micor sites can add value, if for example they offer a great deal on something a person really needs or wants. No problem, there.

              But I do really like the feeling that I am contributing to the internet as a whole with bigger and broader sites. I like that feeling and it seems much easier to get guest blogging opportunities and get my exteral links to stick.

              This is a nice thread Sasha, thank you for starting it up.

              I guess what I've changed (or rather, trying to change) is my strategy - earlier, I would aim to build small sites around a set of keywords, then build an authority site on a broader keyword within the same niche. Now, I'm going the opposite way - build a large site on a broad keyword, then create smaller micro niche sites to go for the 'low hanging fruit', relying on the larger site to bleed off some authority.

              I don't know how this approach will pan out, but it has at least made my business approach more positive with greater emphasis on long term growth rather than short term benefits. I've been in and out of IM for my entire stay in college and could never gather up enough energy or time to devote my full time attention to it. But now that I'll be graduating soon and will enter graduate school within six months, I've suddenly felt the urge to put my IM career on full throttle mode.

              Perhaps its just the maturity talking :rolleyes:
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3649422].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Honest Abel
            Originally Posted by sashas View Post

            This is what I've been trying to move away from. Mini sites, while they have their uses, are quite limited in their scope. I worked with them for quite some time, made some money, but realized that they require too much effort to be effective.

            Besides, the marketing opportunities available for micro niche sites are very limited. Twitter, Digg, etc. are all ruled out if your site is about "treadmill model x2141". Plus, I've seen many webmasters delete my link or refuse to entertain my proposals for link exchanges/blog posts because of perceived "spamminess". And there are the unpredictable changes in Google's algorithm to boot.

            Building larger sites has been far more enjoyable so far. I feel like I'm actually creating something that adds value to the internet. Hopefully, I'll see much more positive results from it in the near future.
            You make an interesting point.

            When deciding on a niche, the scope is one of the most important factors to consider. Too narrow and it's difficult to find places to promote it. Too broad and it's hard to attract visitors.

            I think picking a smaller niche within a mega-niche can be one of the easiest to promote. For example, ecotours within the much larger travel niche. Continuing with this example, you can guest blog or provide a guest article on ecotourism to almost any the larger travel sites. However, you don't have to compete for the most competitive travel terms in the search engines, etc...
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3651606].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author badal4u
    the core difference which I think which I think everyone should understand between EZA submissions and Guest Blogging is that EZA gets you authority backlinks and guest blogging may or may not with do-follow backlinks but it builds your reputation in a pretty good way!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3632680].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NicoleBeckett
      Originally Posted by badal4u View Post

      the core difference which I think which I think everyone should understand between EZA submissions and Guest Blogging is that EZA gets you authority backlinks and guest blogging may or may not with do-follow backlinks but it builds your reputation in a pretty good way!!
      EZA's home page may have a PR 6 (or whatever it's currently at), but your articles don't get published on their home page. Instead, they get published on their own page on EZA's website that has a PR of 0. If you build links to your specific article page, you can boost its PR. Otherwise, the link you're getting from EZA is PR 0.

      However, if you do a guest blog post for a PR 6 website, you will get a PR 6 backlink - assuming, of course that you've arranged everything with the blog owner in advance and are getting a link out of it. If the blog owner won't give you a link, or will only give you a nofollow link, find one who will.
      Signature
      Sick of blending in with the crowd? Ready to stand ahead of the pack? The right content writing services can get you there...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3633258].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marhelper
    Originally Posted by sashas View Post


    Just type in your niche + "write for us" into Google to find relevant sites. For ex: 'saving money + "Write for us"' throws up several blogs/sites that accept articles in lieu for a backlink.
    I am in the pro life niche and nothing seems to come up when I put that into Google.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3633421].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jficarro
      Originally Posted by Marhelper View Post

      I am in the pro life niche and nothing seems to come up when I put that into Google.
      PM me. I handle several very popular blogs and news sites in that niche.

      Guest blogging (for the right blog) can easily triple your uniques overnight. If you are marketing correctly, you'll not only get sales (if that's what you're doing) but more importantly - opt ins.

      For most of my high end clients, the even higher end blogs and sites normally contact us and ask us to guest blog. Other times, we get people using our posts and plugging us with a "read more" or "read the original article here" type of deal.

      In other cases, with less popular bloggers, they simply find a blog that wants guest authors.

      Trust me. It's good for both parties. It's difficult to come up with brilliant posts every single day.

      As far as this thread goes - it's all about relationships. If it weren't for all the relationships I've built and people recommending me as their marketing professional or "webmaster" (I hate that term :rolleyes, I don't think I would be doing nearly as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3970773].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Critic
    I don't think article marketing is dead, what is dead is duplicate/spinned content marketing.

    I say keep using article directories as well as web 2.0 websites.

    And guest blogging can be effective too, but it's a bit more time consuming ..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3649479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LauraJames
    Thank you for posting this question. I have thought about this myself. In case you're interested, I wrote a blog post about this topic in June 2010. Done properly, this is an effective and worthwhile marketing strategy.
    Signature

    Chief Executive Officer
    Best Designed Blogs
    Based in Canada and the USA
    None of our work is outsourced

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3649506].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lyanna
    I would imagine it is harder to find blogs to post on when your site is about automatic ice cream maker replacement paddles.

    Nothing wrong with those kinds of sites, they just don't lend well to a conversation model.
    Exactly!

    Why would I guest blog when I am in a super targeted niche and all the others blogs and websites in the same niche are my competitors?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3650704].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SEO Agency
    To draw more traffic on their site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3650816].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ladywriter
    One idea, if you don't want to blog for any direct competitors, is to blog for a related niche. For example, if my niche was cloth diapers, I could guest blog for a parenting blog or a baby blog. If you check the archives of a blog you can get a good feel for the type of things they publish and you can tailor your post accordingly.


    If they say no, you can move on to the next blog, or post it on your site.

    And lately I've seen guest posts from wildly different niches. I saw a marketer's guest post on a writing blog, talking about how he improved his writing to get more sales or something. He took a very broad approach talking about things that are common to both groups.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3650891].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dave Rodman
      Banned
      It's kind of a funny comment/observation. It might as well be "Step 1 to making money online: Get a website that generates significant income."

      The simple answer is that in most niches there aren't an abundance of guest blogging opportunities. Off the top of my head in 5 of the non-IM niches I'm in, there are zero prominent blogs.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3650941].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Deric Yin
        Originally Posted by Dave Rodman View Post

        It's kind of a funny comment/observation. It might as well be "Step 1 to making money online: Get a website that generates significant income."

        The simple answer is that in most niches there aren't an abundance of guest blogging opportunities. Off the top of my head in 5 of the non-IM niches I'm in, there are zero prominent blogs.
        That's an opportunity to start one, no?
        Signature
        Got Dating Traffic? This has got to be the easiest way to make money. Click Here

        Get $200 EXTRA on top of 75% ClickBank commissionsFind Out How
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3651020].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Deric Yin
    I do guest blog for my super affiliates. It delivers super targeted traffic, and also drives credibility. It's an awesome traffic generation method... though not that scalable.
    Signature
    Got Dating Traffic? This has got to be the easiest way to make money. Click Here

    Get $200 EXTRA on top of 75% ClickBank commissionsFind Out How
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3650902].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author egyhawk
    I don't think article marketing is dead, what is dead is duplicate/spinned content marketing.

    I say keep using article directories as well as web 2.0 websites.

    And guest blogging can be effective too, but it's a bit more time consuming
    yeeeeeeeeeeeees
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3651030].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wendymay1
    I think thats a brilliant idea. One can only think that the high authority blogs steaming around the internet should be able to provide quality traffic. I suppose you can call it,"throwing your line where the fish are swimming in great numbers". Apparently I believe you do not need to worry so much about key word research because the fish are already there waiting.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3651189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheila Atwood
    Although I had promised my self I would do more guest blogging, it is a time factor. Keeping up with my blog and sties for my clients is more than enough to do.
    Signature
    WordPress Freak

    WordPress For Business and Personal Use

    "You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose." -Dr. Suess
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3651558].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author haymanpl
    I've written a full blog post recently titled 'How to submit a Guest post to a guest blog as a guest author and why you should

    I think its just laziness or maybe shyness as well
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3652289].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author backoffice
    Well.........I knew the reason but this post has cleared more my throughts on blogging.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3652308].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author farhan0101
    it was nice post but posting in guest blogs can help to increase trafic of websites for which we were post in guest blogs
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3652427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TracyNeedham
    I have a hard enough time getting my own blog posts and ezines done these days--sometimes it takes me 3 hours to do an article. So the thought of adding one more to the pile that has to be unique is more than I can regularly do right now. A couple sites syndicate my stuff though (they found me).

    I probably will try to set some time aside to do it shortly, because there are a couple I'd really like to be on.
    Signature
    Get You (& Your Offline Customers!) More Sales, More Clients & More Money! 3 Easy Systems + the special secret sauce... TESTIMONIAL T.N.T.

    Discover Easy Tweaks to Get Visitors to Buy NOW
    It's all here in The Sales Supercharger!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3654446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author warner444
    Guest posting is also a great way to add 100% original content to your blog. http://myblogguest.com has an article gallery where I can find really good content right away any time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3968977].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author drmani
    Originally Posted by sashas View Post

    With the whole hoopla around EZA, why aren't more of you guest blogging?...

    So, why aren't more people in IM doing it? Am I over estimating the benefits from guest blogging?
    3 reasons:

    * many people don't know how many benefits
    they'll get from guest blogging

    * many people don't know how easy it can
    be to get guest blogging gigs

    * many people don't know how to go about
    finding and getting such opportunities

    My 2 cents

    All success
    Dr.Mani
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3970595].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author magnates
    Originally Posted by sashas View Post

    With the whole hoopla around EZA, why aren't more of you guest blogging?

    I think guest blogging is a great way to get very high quality do-follow backlinks. Sure, you have to work a bit harder, but the results are worth the effort.

    What's holding people back? The need to write quality articles, the problem of finding quality blogs to write for, or cold feet when it comes to sending a proposal?

    If you are a quick writer, I assume you can easily write 2 articles a day for guest blogging. Just a handful of backlinks from relevant sites in your niche will have great SEO benefits.

    Just type in your niche + "write for us" into Google to find relevant sites. For ex: 'saving money + "Write for us"' throws up several blogs/sites that accept articles in lieu for a backlink.

    So, why aren't more people in IM doing it? Am I over estimating the benefits from guest blogging?
    Dude , I don't think you overestimating anything . Guest blogging is a great great way to build relationship with action takers in your niche , get tasty backlinks and get borrowed credibility . Of course you got to keep at it for at least a year and after that you would see a surge in traffic to your offers . It is a great strategy . For those who want to write articles faster i recommend dragon naturally speaking 11 to speak your articles out rather than typing . No matter how fast you are at typing , you never going to be as fast as you speak .Investing in a tool like that would obviously increase your output and multiply your results
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3970860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dingo881
    I have a question about guest blogging. If I write an article for another blog, do I still own the article? Can I still use the article in my own blog? thanks in advance for the help.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3970924].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DogScout
      Originally Posted by dingo881 View Post

      I have a question about guest blogging. If I write an article for another blog, do I still own the article? Can I still use the article in my own blog? thanks in advance for the help.
      Unless you 'sell' the copyright, you retain full use of the article. Some blogs (like some article directories) say in their TOS that the blog post/article needs to be unique to that one site. VERY hard to enforce and questionable as to whether they would win if they were willing to invest the thousands it would take to sue. Probably wise to just not write for those that require you never re-print it anywhere else, even your blog.

      The guest writers I have had do not re-print by their own volition. They even send traffic to it without me asking. When you deal with quality folk, most issues disappear.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3970978].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DogScout
    I have a philanthropic site (no ads or income intended to ever be gotten from it). It is a 'passion'. I have had several guest bloggers ask and asked a couple. In addition to a link or two in the post, I include a 'list' of guest bloggers in a link section on every page (do follow) so the guest blogger gets the benefit of any page that gains PR. Plus as the site grows (slowly as I am disabled), their links will continue to grow in 'value'.

    The guest bloggers are usually authority writers at larger authority blogs in the same or related niche. Since I don't do this for money, I don't care that I 'do follow' a link to their site. I have accepted a writer who wanted to link to a book they wrote that is on Amazon in addition to their site. I get a DR writing quality info that helps people, no problem.

    Granted it would be harder to do with a sales/review blog, but if you have a rep in a niche, I would think someone blogging in that niche would be happy to accept something you wrote and even link to your sales page. (which could garner you a lot of the blog readers traffic?)

    On the other hand, I do NOT accept articles with an obvious agenda. (although I have no problem with a reasonable person selling a book). Since it is a medical condition, I am VERY careful about disclosures as well.

    On the third hand, I have had articles from my blog re-printed in About.com. I didn't ask them, they asked me. My understanding is they do not do that often and never if asked... but don't know for sure. I do know the Huffington Post will accept guest blog posts, but of course if you are well known and a liberal, it helps... sorry Mr. Hiles. Lol.

    The forth hand, I still do accept guest posts if they are relevant. Guest Post Guides | I Have This Little Garden It is amazing how easy it is to write a good helpful post and have it relevant to almost any niche. You just need to be a little creative.

    & on the 5th hand... I am not sure I have ever met a shy marketer/salesperson. Lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3970959].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jficarro
      Originally Posted by DogScout View Post

      I have a philanthropic site (no ads or income intended to ever be gotten from it). It is a 'passion'. I have had several guest bloggers ask and asked a couple. In addition to a link or two in the post, I include a 'list' of guest bloggers in a link section on every page (do follow) so the guest blogger gets the benefit of any page that gains PR. Plus as the site grows (slowly as I am disabled), their links will continue to grow in 'value'.

      The guest bloggers are usually authority writers at larger authority blogs in the same or related niche. Since I don't do this for money, I don't care that I 'do follow' a link to their site. I have accepted a writer who wanted to link to a book they wrote that is on Amazon in addition to their site. I get a DR writing quality info that helps people, no problem.

      Granted it would be harder to do with a sales/review blog, but if you have a rep in a niche, I would think someone blogging in that niche would be happy to accept something you wrote and even link to your sales page. (which could garner you a lot of the blog readers traffic?)

      On the other hand, I do NOT accept articles with an obvious agenda. (although I have no problem with a reasonable person selling a book). Since it is a medical condition, I am VERY careful about disclosures as well.

      On the third hand, I have had articles from my blog re-printed in About.com. I didn't ask them, they asked me. My understanding is they do not do that often and never if asked... but don't know for sure. I do know the Huffington Post will accept guest blog posts, but of course if you are well known and a liberal, it helps... sorry Mr. Hiles. Lol.

      The forth hand, I still do accept guest posts if they are relevant. Guest Post Guides | I Have This Little Garden It is amazing how easy it is to write a good helpful post and have it relevant to almost any niche. You just need to be a little creative.

      & on the 5th hand... I am not sure I have ever met a shy marketer/salesperson. Lol.
      That's a good point. Most of the guest posts (incoming and outgoing) I deal with are really to deliver relevant content to the loyal readers. It wouldn't work if you accepted any article that was just to make a buck.

      But, when you build relationships with other bloggers, they don't mind you promoting a book you wrote (or possibly a product, etc). The relationship works both ways.

      I'm telling you from experience. When someone with 100,000 uniques a day either endorses your book/product, or features your article that plugs the books, your paypal (or whatever) is going to show the results.

      Here's a real life recent comparison. List of 380 people promoting a new book = plug/guest post from major blog. So, the money is still in the list, but the guest post is not only a good source of income (depending on what you post), but also a major source of building the list.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3971309].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fazal Mayar
    guest posting is so great, i cant say it enough. For a blogger, its the main thing that can you get brand and exposure.
    Signature

    Blogger at RicherOrNot.com (Make Money online blog but also promoting ethical internet marketing)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3970997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeremy Banks
    Here I thought everyone was doing it! I think you need a succesful blog to start guest posting, or atleast valuable information in abundance. If you can't provide enough valuable information on your own blog then what right do you have posting on someone else's?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3971006].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jficarro
      Originally Posted by Jeremy Banks View Post

      Here I thought everyone was doing it! I think you need a succesful blog to start guest posting, or atleast valuable information in abundance. If you can't provide enough valuable information on your own blog then what right do you have posting on someone else's?
      No. I just met a real smart guy the other day that is a guest author for a certain technology niche that I'm in. He doesn't even have a link back to his blog (which has only about 3 posts spread out over a year). He's a great writer - and I'm picky. He just likes the subject and wants to write. Possibly he enjoys having a thumbnail pic of him and being listed as an author?

      I asked him to start writing for me.

      Anyway, my point is... depending on your writing skills and your motives, most serious bloggers (if they like your article) are MORE than happy to have you write a post every so often.

      Like I said before, it's hard to come up with something great everyday. Many of us have more than one blog in multiple niches, and it's important to post great articles on a regular basis (preferably every single day).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3971336].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Worner
    Guest blogging? That requires effort doesn't it?

    Chris
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3971197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dagaul101
    Guest blogging can be beneficial to both parties, but I suspect people are a little intimidatd because they expect guest bloggers to be well known in the industry
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3971545].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author matt5409
    For me, guest blogging is the single best source of free traffic and backlinks.

    Especially after the Panda update, I'm guest blogging more and more... and it's working!

    You DO NEED quality content though - unlike with article directories, these blogs are usually close to people's hearts. The owners ain't gonna accept any old rubbish, which is good for the web and carries benefits all round.

    So in answer to your question - I have no idea why more people aren't guest blogging
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3971837].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marian Berghes
    Don't transform the whole "I need to write very high quality articles to get accepted" into a an obstacle and start thinking "well I can't write that well, I'll just skip this"

    Get some money, pay $50 or whatever for a quality article and then get it published.

    As a sidenote:

    I know some website owners that don't even bother writing the article or hiring somebody to write it, they just contact websites all day long and offer them a certain sum of money to write a blog post "in their name" if you want.

    And the more you grow as a business the more you can afford to get these kinds of blog posts on almost every blog or website that you can imagine.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3972137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Beatrice
    I think that producing quality, unique articles is not easy for everybody - me included
    Signature
    FREE Video to Build Your Website:

    http://www. createmyownwebpage.net

    This Step-by-Step video guide will show you how to buil your website from scratch!(For FREE)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3973396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author enderZ
    Originally Posted by sashas View Post

    With the whole hoopla around EZA, why aren't more of you guest blogging?

    I think guest blogging is a great way to get very high quality do-follow backlinks. Sure, you have to work a bit harder, but the results are worth the effort.

    What's holding people back? The need to write quality articles, the problem of finding quality blogs to write for, or cold feet when it comes to sending a proposal?

    If you are a quick writer, I assume you can easily write 2 articles a day for guest blogging. Just a handful of backlinks from relevant sites in your niche will have great SEO benefits.

    Just type in your niche + "write for us" into Google to find relevant sites. For ex: 'saving money + "Write for us"' throws up several blogs/sites that accept articles in lieu for a backlink.

    So, why aren't more people in IM doing it? Am I over estimating the benefits from guest blogging?
    Change of concept - it is always hard for people to change the way they are thinking/used to do stuff.

    I believe that guest posting is the new backlink most effective method...
    Signature

    Are you still doing EMAIL MARKETING? If so, you are so 2018...

    Whatsapp marketing is where you should be, PM for details...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3974091].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Teacherman
    I find guest posting very rewarding! You get access to a whole new batch of readers that you can target for your specific demographic, plus you get to make a cool new contact within your field. It's even better if you can exchange guest posts and give your readers access to a new set of ideas!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3975306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamieSEO
    Originally Posted by sashas View Post

    With the whole hoopla around EZA, why aren't more of you guest blogging?

    What's holding people back?

    So, why aren't more people in IM doing it? Am I over estimating the benefits from guest blogging?
    ROFL - I think it is one of those 'back burner' things.

    I know it is something I have been intending to do... but somehow everything else seems to jump ahead of it and I run out of time. Thanks for the reminder (aka kick in the butt)
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3976721].message }}

Trending Topics