Bad News For Newbies?

by lcombs
49 replies
Short-and-sweet...

I believe that the reason the "gurus" give up their "secrets" is because they've already blead the plans and techniques they're promoting dry.
The only way left for them to make money on them is to sell them.

Thoughts anyone?
#bad #newbies #news
  • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
    So would you say that about the product you are promoting in your sig file? Have you stopped making money from it, thus you are now ready to sell your "methods" to the public to make cash?

    A majority of people sell "make money online" products because there is a market for them. Regardless of motives or conspiracy theories the simple basics of making a sale (whether offline or online) boils down to one thing: Find Problem and then offer a solution.

    In a "guru's" case the problem is the inability to make money online and their solution is the "system" to make money online. That = Sales.
    Signature
    You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3674280].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cooldanan
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3674302].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PromoAds
        wow...this is an interesting thread and very true
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3695209].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PromoAds
        Originally Posted by cooldanan View Post

        i have to agree now thats funny about the sig!
        lol I love this too
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3695216].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lcombs
      Originally Posted by BloggingPro View Post

      So would you say that about the product you are promoting in your sig file? Have you stopped making money from it, thus you are now ready to sell your "methods" to the public to make cash?

      A majority of people sell "make money online" products because there is a market for them. Regardless of motives or conspiracy theories the simple basics of making a sale (whether offline or online) boils down to one thing: Find Problem and then offer a solution.

      In a "guru's" case the problem is the inability to make money online and their solution is the "system" to make money online. That = Sales.
      Have you seen the videos I'm promoting?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3694671].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author William10
      Originally Posted by BloggingPro View Post

      So would you say that about the product you are promoting in your sig file? Have you stopped making money from it, thus you are now ready to sell your "methods" to the public to make cash?.
      loved the sig point hahaha.

      the internet marketing niche is forever growing and expanding, very few processes will be "bled dry" because the consumer population is always getting bigger!

      These "Guru's" have usually simply mastered there niche and are ready to branch out further, they see that there is potentially more money in teaching others to do what they have done.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3695155].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zeus66
    It's not really fair to paint with such a broad brush. You have to evaluate these things plan-by-plan or method-by-method. Some things just cannot be saturated or bled out. Others can be.

    The other side of that coin, too, is that some of the "gurus" probably just plain get bored. They want a new challenge, and for some of them that means taking on entirely new business models. Doesn't mean what they're leaving doesn't work any more. At least, it doesn't always mean that.

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3674285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tsuccess
    You might be right about that. It seems like that is something some of the so called guru's do. (YUCK! I feel filthy, I hate that word)...Lol, but I'm serious though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3674472].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lcombs
    Thanks for the rebuttals. Exactly what I was looking for.
    A good debate.

    I have more to say on the subject, but it's getting late so I'll post them tomorrow.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3674935].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bretski
      Call me niave but I do think that there are people out there that sincerely want to help others. I think there are marketers that are willing to create a product that can help newbies to make money by teaching them in a step by step manner stuff that actually works.

      Maybe it's my hippie upbringing but I still believe that there are folks out there that honestly wish to help others while making some money at the same time.... puff, puff, pass...
      Signature
      ***Affordable Quality Content Written For You!***
      Experience Content Writer - PM Bretski!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3674968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tyler Abernethy
    Originally Posted by lcombs View Post

    Short-and-sweet...

    I believe that the reason the "gurus" give up their "secrets" is because they've already blead the plans and techniques they're promoting dry.
    The only way left for them to make money on them is to sell them.

    Thoughts anyone?

    hahaha, no, google does take note of which methods are being flooded, which would be easy to see by the last algo update targeting content farms


    but you HAVE to realize how much we HELP google.. I mean we make the results interesting, targeted, and full of typically quality content


    There will always be small tweaks that will make some methods work better than others, but the majority of the MAJOR/well known methods work just fine



    Best Regards,
    Tyler Abernethy
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3674978].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Colin Palfrey
    Well as someone that is selling a system, I think I can at least shed some light on my own view point.

    I have a business that provides a good living, and a better one than most people where I live. However, it isn't what I want. I want to consult an Ipad once a day and see how many tens of thousands have been made (without effort) since I last checked. Sadly I am not there yet.

    So I wrote about what I do know, and sell it. Hopefully, it will take off and get me where I want to be. In all probability it won't, but I'll give it a good go.

    I hope you can now see that at least some people are selling their systems because, while those systems do work, their creators want even more of the green stuff.

    Cheers,
    Colin Palfrey
    Signature

    I write articles and eBooks - PM me for details!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3674980].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author packerfan
      You'd be amazed at what you learn when you teach others. And the idea that someone is going to "steal" your amazing system and cost you money is just plain silly. If that's the case, you don't have much of a system at all.

      Think of this... facebook just built a state of the art data center, and they decided to give away the plans so anyone can make the same data center. The idea is that the design will be improved over time and facebook will benefit from those improvements.

      I'll give you another example. I'm in the lean manufacturing business. Toyota is largely regarded as the leader in lean manufacturing. Guess what... they'll tell anyone who will listen about it. They've partnered with GM before. They teach their suppliers, etc.

      You have to look at the big picture. The fact that you sell your "system" to 1,000 of which 995 aren't even going to use it doesn't render it useless.

      Now, there are obviously a lot of folks selling outdated, repackaged garbage. But if people are buying it... I mean, I see wal-mart selling a ton of crap. We're not questioning their morals.
      Signature

      Nothing to see here

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3675009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hashbury
    Another thing is that a lot of buyers probably dont take action on the info. Now this may be different for experienced marketers, but how many times have you seen someone saying the method they are using isnt working after a week or a month.

    I think a lot of newbies buy the get rich quick courses not realizing how much work will really need to be done to make any profit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3675400].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ladywriter
    I think it's what Colin suggests, that they are trying to get another income stream coming in. I am not sure how it would benefit them to have buyers fail, since their entire story is how great it works.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3675564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ruthlee1
    Hi I am 100% with you... that fact would easily explain the reality that their product, none of them, really work.
    I have gotten numerous of this guru's offer and have made not money at all and I should say that I have invest my time and energy into it. Shame on them and on me also for allowing them to make a full of me so many times.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3675574].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      I believe that the reason the "gurus" give up their "secrets" is because they've already blead the plans and techniques they're promoting dry. The only way left for them to make money on them is to sell them.
      Lordy. I wonder how many dozens of times this same suggestion is made here every month?

      The proposition is meaningless, as phrased. Before anyone can begin to discuss it clearly, we'd have to know what you mean by the words "guru" and "secrets."


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3675659].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Martin Luxton
        Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

        Lordy. I wonder how many dozens of times this same suggestion is made here every month?

        The proposition is meaningless, as phrased. Before anyone can begin to discuss it clearly, we'd have to know what you mean by the words "guru" and "secrets."


        Paul
        Guru = Anybody who knows more than you

        Secret = Anything that you don't know


        Martin
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3682985].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nick Brighton
    For what it's worth, I sell a low cost guide to finding success on Elance.com as a writer.

    Does it work? Yes. So why would I sell this guide?

    Because there's only so much you can earn as a writer. Selling what you know is the easiest way to add a secondary income stream to your business.

    I can write a report about what I know in just a few days, but if you asked me to write a report on Dog Training, I'd spend months on it, if I ever bothered to start at all.

    Does giving away my secrets mean that I'm creating competition for myself?

    Not exactly. First of all, many people don't take action on the advice given. That doesn't just apply to my product, but every information based product in the world (from college education to industry specific advice.)

    Secondly, the market is so huge, with so many different avenues to go down, I couldn't possibly create a noticeable, significant level of competition for myself. And that's before we talk about USPs and marketing as a writer.

    Here's an analogy that might help:

    Look at McDonalds. They have tens of thousands of franchise stores around the world. Does that mean they're creating competition for themselves?

    Not exactly. In fact, they're growing their business instead. Essentially, by selling their proven formula, 3rd parties are putting it into practice, making profit and thereby continue paying McDonalds their due fees.

    McDonalds still have their own company stores, in locations that others cannot secure (think SEO, strategic JV partnerships as an analogy.)

    They still continue to grow, because their franchisees keeping making money and paying their fees.

    The point is - some marketers like to sell their formulas because it's cool seeing people's lives change by sharing this stuff. And of course, when those people start making money, guess where they come to spend some of it?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3676342].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paulie888
    It'd be a mistake to make such a broad generalization. This is mostly a false assumption, as there are definitely IM methods that work on such a vast marketplace you couldn't even make a dent in it, even if you had it all to yourself without anyone else knowing about it.

    Even with SEO, which some claim is saturated, how could one person possibly enter all the niches and subniches, and monetize them effectively? There wouldn't be enough hours in the day to do this, no matter how hard you tried.

    It wouldn't really hurt a person to sell a guide on how to do this effectively. It'd just be a way to make some additional income without hurting one's bread and butter. Besides, I've found from experience that only a very small percentage of buyers actually do anything with the information that you sell them.

    Of course, some people have this distorted view of competition and think that it's a bad thing, but the truth of the matter is that competition is oftentimes an indicator that the niche or method is viable. I'd be more worried if there was absolutely no competition, as that would most likely signal that the niche or method isn't a profitable one.
    Signature
    >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3676554].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Henry White
    Originally Posted by lcombs View Post

    Short-and-sweet...

    I believe that the reason the "gurus" give up their "secrets" is because they've already blead the plans and techniques they're promoting dry.
    The only way left for them to make money on them is to sell them.

    Thoughts anyone?
    That may apply to a few, but you're painting much too broadly.

    Something I think we could agree up, though, is that "guru" and "secrets" are terms thrown around too liberally. These terms carry about as much weight as backyard barbecue "chefs" with their "world's best" sauce. As adults, but just accept it as hyperbole without comment, but the kids will blurt out with embarrassing honesty if it sucks and isn't nearly as good as someone else's.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3677098].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Big Al
    I think there is an element of truth here...

    I've seen first hand in an offline marketing course (and acknowledged by the course creator) that they were using version 2.0 of the technique and teaching version 1.0 to newbies.

    For the newbies... they're learning something that will get them started. Doing something that is proven to work is better than doing nothing - right?

    Nothing wrong with that when the results for the doers are impressive and got the course creator to where he is today.

    How did you get access to version 2.0... I'm not sure but there was a $10K upgrade on offer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3677559].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author espresso
    I figured out a while ago it isnt about "make money online" products but traffic generation
    You get enough traffic to a site/offer the rest is easy enough
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3677587].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lcombs
      Originally Posted by espresso View Post

      I figured out a while ago it isnt about "make money online" products but traffic generation
      You get enough traffic to a site/offer the rest is easy enough
      That's pretty much the bottom line.
      I bought Cory Rudl's "Insider Secrets" course in 2003.

      Those same, basic techniques are still being taught today.

      As with most things, the truth almost always lies in the middle.

      And, there are "good guys" and "bad guys".
      Jeff Mulligan, for example, makes his home number available and will
      take the time to discuss whatever you want.

      Almost any system will work. The key is traffic.

      However, there are sites for research, and tools, tips of coming trends,
      sites that can keep those who know of them a step ahead that most people have never heard of.

      Finding those resources, getting ahead of the trends, and driving traffic
      is where the money is.

      Great thread!
      Thanks for all the responses.

      I love a good debate.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3678029].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sammyll
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3678118].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webjedi
      I often think about what the OP has started here.

      I have uncovered some super excellent methodologies from 2007 that still work.

      How long has article marketing been working? Only the shady stuff burns out cause the engines catch on and improve.

      Then do WSO's appear?
      Perhaps right before the burnout.

      Is this 100% the case.. no way. There are super successful IMers giving back for sure.

      wj
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3678276].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lcombs
    I find it interesting how much hostility the "proposition" of this thread has created.

    It's akin to sports fans arguing about whether their favorite team is better than the
    other guys.

    So, let me put this out there...

    There are a handful of "gurus" (I truly HATE that term) that
    I think deliver as promised.

    Stephen Pierce
    Frank Kern (mostly)
    John Reese is the king of over-delivery
    Rich Schefren also over-delivers in a big way.
    Alex Jeffreys I would highly recommend to anyone just starting out.

    And, just for SAG...
    Virtually every penny I make online is through article marketing, video marketing, and SEO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3682918].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LetsGoViral
    Originally Posted by lcombs View Post

    Short-and-sweet...

    I believe that the reason the "gurus" give up their "secrets" is because they've already blead the plans and techniques they're promoting dry.
    The only way left for them to make money on them is to sell them.

    Thoughts anyone?
    Well...of course. That's the whole point. How can you milk some money out of the method that doesn't work anymore? Sell it! Nobody would be selling a method that earns several thousand per month on autopilot for $13. It just doesn't make any sense. But sometimes the rose tinted glasses overcloud logical judgment.

    You'd be amazed at what you learn when you teach others. And the idea that someone is going to "steal" your amazing system and cost you money is just plain silly. If that's the case, you don't have much of a system at all.
    It's not silly. Giving away methods that have cost you a lot of time and money to figure out is counterproductive. Plain and simple. If someone is doing it, then the methods are either too hard to implement and it is easier to sell them or they just don't work anymore, or...which is the most common case - they work in theory.

    That's like a person saying that if you sell a gig on Fiverr for $5 that took you 10 minutes to prepare, it means you are earning $30 per hour, which is $240 for a day and $4800 per month. Then post this method as a WSO and name it "This method makes me $4800 per month. Now you can, too! Only $7!"

    Get real.
    Signature
    Time of thinking is over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3682940].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author popopdc
    I disagree with OP. Most of these guys sell e-books for an affordable price. However, the methods they explain add up to be a lot of money. Domain, scripts, link building, articles, premium templates, social bookmarketing, etc. There is so much stuff that HAS to be implemented in order to be successful. Most likely, newbies buy the book but either don't know how to implement all the methods, aren't willing to pay for it, or are worried that they won't make their investment back since they are newbies.

    Short Summary: People who sell ebooks to newbies make a lot of money and don't give up anything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3682960].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
    I find it so narrow-minded that for certain people the whole idea of using the Internet as a medium in business comes down to the very small niche of MMO (make money online). And then this narrow niche is used for generalizations of the kind you can read in the OP.

    Seemingly, this niche attracts the biggest number of gullible buyers (the ones that look for the magic button) and the market caters to them all the BS they want to buy
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3682988].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author S Drost
      I have received nothing but honest tips and pointers from the gurus / pros on WF. Have I received a few offers for services? Of course I have, but the FREE pointers I have received have moved the site I am working on up in the rankings in just a week. I am amazed at the polite nature of the members of WF, and as a newbie I feel there is plenty of money still to be made.

      -Scott
      Signature

      Las Vegas Title Loans

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683032].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lcombs
        Originally Posted by S Drost View Post

        I have received nothing but honest tips and pointers from the gurus / pros on WF. Have I received a few offers for services? Of course I have, but the FREE pointers I have received have moved the site I am working on up in the rankings in just a week. I am amazed at the polite nature of the members of WF, and as a newbie I feel there is plenty of money still to be made.

        -Scott
        The WF is a special site.
        I too have been the benefactor of the generous nature of it's members, and I do what I can to reciprocate.

        But, I haven't read a word from a "name" guru with the possible exception of a WSO.
        Liz Tomey said that one of her favorite ways to make a lot of money quickly was to re-package old PLR products and sell them as WSOs
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683549].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EliteWealth
    The main thing is "Don't Hate"!! If they are making a ton of money on an old theory then the market still has value, even if it's only selling for $7. Heck would you jump at the opportunity to make a five figure monthly income for an old product selling for $7. That means that your initial investment wasn't that costly either. Find your market, come up with an idea, and market the product. It's a simple process.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683099].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bluewaterk
      It is a big pond we are swimming in. From childhood we have all observed that this is a world of abundance. One apple seed produces a lifetime of apples.

      It is true, there are many "gurus" out there that are selling watered down information but there are a lot of great teachers out there that are genuinely sharing what worked for them. They realize the truth about abundance and not only are they rewarded for planting seeds but we are all better for their presence here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683120].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mark healy
        Have you thought also that they may be selling them so the gurus can help as many people as possible get the information they need to succeed in the fastest time.Their secrets are no longer secrets once they sell as everyone gets to hear about it but its not about them its about you.What can their product do for you.I dont focus on gurus and what they are doing but on how i can help people and change lives.Thanks for the post.
        Signature

        Build a Real Online Business from scratch today!
        Get Your FREE Webinar Training Here

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683165].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Emily Meeks
    Originally Posted by lcombs View Post

    Short-and-sweet...

    I believe that the reason the "gurus" give up their "secrets" is because they've already blead the plans and techniques they're promoting dry.
    The only way left for them to make money on them is to sell them.

    Thoughts anyone?
    Not really, Internet Marketing isn't rocket science.

    Even though the niche isn't outright stated, we'll assume this is the IM niche, probably something along the lines of Make $92316165197894212319646512972 in 2 Days with your own product. That can be broken down into:

    1.) Quality of Product (is it good?)
    2.) Marketing of Said Product (aka sales copy, etc)
    3.) Quality of Traffic (how is this traffic targeted, etc)

    If the "guru"'s info product is promoting a certain website that's supposed to be lucrative, and that website gets more competition, it doesn't mean you can't be successful with it as well - you just have to be willing to constantly adapt and come up with creative ideas. Case in point... Twitter has a mixed rep - notorious for spam, but people still make money off it every day.

    Said "guru"'s also know that 95% of their audience will do absolutely nothing, and will continue to look for that magic button. It's a vicious cycle on both sides...
    Signature

    In all that you do, know your True INTENT...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sitywyde
    You are defintely right in regards to marketing the heck out of their strategies...But another reason they don't stress about giving away the goods, is because they know most people are lazy and won't follow through... Let face it, people do search for easy push button systems, and when they find something that requires work, they tend to move on...It's sad, but think very true!
    Signature
    Use My FREE System= Go Here
    Spin Sentences For Article Marketing=> Free Tool
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad789
    lcombs - Brad here. I am not competely sure I agree. Though your premise is logical.

    What I have seen thus far is that the gurus do have an initial launch with a select number of affiliates. They are able to take the low hanging fruit in that launch.

    A relaunch is described in a number of programs and a second slice of the pie.

    But what I also see in the programs I have decided to use is that the people I am developing a trust in are teachers - rather than just Gurus.

    I am working with the Chris Farrell program. He is a fantastic teacher and takes you through the technical issues needed to "get on" the internet.

    What I found immediately is that what I learned from Farrell was transferable to other work I was doing.

    Rather than taking a program as a guaranteed income - I expect to learn how the internet works. People have been in "business" for thousands of years. There are hundreds of "schools" teaching all kinds of special skills.

    That does not mean that all "business" is taken and no other opportunity exists.

    I want to learn the internet and think with some hard work - I can convert the education into results.

    I would be interested in your comments on my site. If you have time to click thru please leave your thoughts. I am most interested in any ideas you are willing to share to improve the first time visitor's experience.

    Best of luck - I hope to hear from you soon.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683738].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BenoitT
    You look like someone that never understood how to make something works. Perseverance is a must in IM.

    Originally Posted by lcombs View Post

    Short-and-sweet...

    I believe that the reason the "gurus" give up their "secrets" is because they've already blead the plans and techniques they're promoting dry.
    The only way left for them to make money on them is to sell them.

    Thoughts anyone?
    Signature

    Benoit Tremblay

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683749].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lcombs
      Originally Posted by BenoitT View Post

      You look like someone that never understood how to make something works. Perseverance is a must in IM.
      Sorry my friend, you're dead wrong.

      I've been marketing on the 'net since 2003.
      I definitely know how it works.
      And, without perseverance I would have quit a long time ago.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683899].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DOWORKSON
        So the systems they sell don't work anymore.. So what? Make your own system. Problem solved.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683918].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Colin Palfrey
          Originally Posted by DOWORKSON View Post

          So the systems they sell don't work anymore.. So what? Make your own system. Problem solved.
          What I see are systems that work, and people that won't.

          I can't count the number of times I have seen people complain about some guru's system, due to the work needed, or the fact that the system is known to have worked in the past.

          It is a constant source of amazement to me, the way that so many people assume that just because something worked last year, it must now be irrelevant.

          Only in I.M. is a proven success record counted as proof that a system must not work anymore. Obviously not everyone thinks this way, but a surprising number do.

          Cheers,
          Colin Palfrey
          Signature

          I write articles and eBooks - PM me for details!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3684069].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
            Martin,
            Guru = Anybody who knows more than you

            Secret = Anything that you don't know
            If we go with your definitions, then the OP is bad wrong. It would suggest that nothing ever taught was still valid. That's obviously not what he meant. It's not entirely clear that he meant what he said as anything more than a discussion point.

            Skills don't expire. They can still be classed as "secrets," in the sense that some of them are non-obvious and extremely effective. I used to do things with sales copy that hadn't been written about, and those things worked well. The ones that don't get talked about a lot still work very well.

            There are techniques, which tend to have longer life spans, but they can become less effective in specific markets when they become too familiar. In the IM world, those would be things like pop-ups, big red headlines, countdown timers, etc. They still work, but not the way they once did - in this market.

            Then there are exploits. MFA site generators are a classic example. Those tend to be shared among a small group of people first, and then rolled out to larger markets once the systems are refined. Even if they weren't likely to burn out quickly before that, the attention they draw, and the resulting excesses that come with it, get people moving to close them down.

            The latter is often what makes it look like the techniques were sold after they'd burned out. The thing that kills exploits is not that people don't do anything with them. It's that folks who believe in the magic button actually do use them. Lots of people. They create pressures on the system that have to be addressed.

            This almost always involves automation. In the case of "article marketing," (read: mass posting of nearly illegible garbage for link juice), that automation can be human-powered.

            Short form: Most of the time, the act of selling such a technique is what causes it to become less effective. The OP has put the cause after the effect.


            Paul
            Signature
            .
            Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3684145].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author azam
              Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

              Short form: Most of the time, the act of selling such a technique is what causes it to become less effective.
              Very true. Yes, there are some sharks online, just as there are offline. Perhaps more because of the shield of anonymity. But overexposure to a particular audience often the spoiler, whether that results in indifference or some form of crack down.

              Of course there is also the scenario where someone realizes their "secret" method is starting to go mainstream and so puts a product out quickly to capitalize, knowing that before long those tactics are probably going to become far less effective because of limitations in the market.

              Still, I believe the majority of successful Internet marketers are decent, hardworking individuals, who whilst undoubtedly always looking to make more money, would balk at the idea of ripping people off to do so.

              They might not share their very best ideas, but that doesn't devalue what they do share. I'm sure anyone desperate for transport wouldn't rebuke a friend for only lending their trusty Ford and not the shiny new BMW sitting on the drive.

              "Gurus" are not some breed apart. They are regular, fallible people. Good, bad, and all the shades between. Most do want to help others, simply because it feels good. In common with the rest of the species, many of them probably also like to be liked -- which makes good business sense too for the additional income it leads to down the road.
              Signature
              Act Fast -- Blowout Dimesale WSO just launched

              SEO Master in 167 pages -- Massive LASTING Rankings In ANY NICHE (still under $5)

              GO HERE NOW
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3694998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TiffanyLambert
    Here are my thoughts:

    If you're talking about those tactics that expire quickly because you're gaming Google, then maybe you're right.

    BUT...

    In other instances, I say NO!

    I have never met ONE person who thinks they have too much money. I know rich people who would still love to have even more.

    So what happens is, some of these "gurus" (for whom I've worked closely for for years), go ahead and create a strategy, right?

    It works!

    They make money with it!

    Well hey, there's EXTRA money sharing it with other marketers - that's that darned "money on the table" you hear tale about that they don't want to leave.

    I guarantee you there would be the same critical posts if they DIDN'T use the methods first - people would be saying they're screwing people THAT way.

    Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't...
    tiff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3683905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author simonbuzz
    Banned
    Originally Posted by lcombs View Post

    Short-and-sweet...

    I believe that the reason the "gurus" give up their "secrets" is because they've already blead the plans and techniques they're promoting dry.
    The only way left for them to make money on them is to sell them.

    Thoughts anyone?
    You have got a point in here...cause recently i bought a WSO and applied the things as the guru says...and letter I saw that he is targeting almost every niche he could...and then I realized that after dominating the market he is now selling the course...so its true that gurus don't give 100% info...cause that might create problems for them...If you ask me If I find a secret that can make me money like the guru's says then I would never sell that at any cost...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3684980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Judith Tramayne
    How can you possibly dry up the Internet in any niche? It's vast and there will always be new people coming on to this Information Highway and buying what they consider to be worthwhile.

    Twenty years from now, a child being born today will probably be reading this same type of question.

    IM (read that as how to make money marketing) is only a small part of the Internet. There are thousands, possibly millions making money every day selling products they've made.

    Most will keep their mouth shut and happily look at their paypal account or their direct deposits flowing into their bank accounts.

    A true expert (not necessarily a guru) simply wants to share their information and make a living at what they love. And sharing in this instance means...helping others do what they love.
    Signature
    Helping Authors Self Publish on the
    Kindle, Nook and other eReaders
    http://www.agoodread.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3694287].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lcombs
      Originally Posted by Judith Tramayne View Post

      How can you possibly dry up the Internet in any niche? It's vast and there will always be new people coming on to this Information Highway and buying what they consider to be worthwhile.

      Twenty years from now, a child being born today will probably be reading this same type of question.

      IM (read that as how to make money marketing) is only a small part of the Internet. There are thousands, possibly millions making money every day selling products they've made.

      Most will keep their mouth shut and happily look at their paypal account or their direct deposits flowing into their bank accounts.

      A true expert (not necessarily a guru) simply wants to share their information and make a living at what they love. And sharing in this instance means...helping others do what they love.
      Consider this...

      I took a course from Howie Schwartz.

      I have a great deal of respect for Howie.
      I consider him one of the "good guys".

      However...

      It is a very good strategy.
      But, Howie has an 80 person team working that system 24/7.
      How do we, ( those of us who don't have those resources), compete?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3694698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fraggler
    I think a lot of the problem may be to do with the buyer expecting something different to what the seller is actually providing.

    OR poor or lacking implementation of what has actually been taught.

    Some people seem to focus on 'methods' that have a used by date, or they believe that the method being taught has a used by date because they aren't working out how to take that new piece of knowledge and implement it in other parts of their own business model. Some people don't even have a business model and they expect each course to be that business model. A lot of the good courses aren't based on creating you a business but rather techniques you can take and use individually - where they apply to you.

    If you focus on courses that teach fundamentals that will help expand your existing business model then you will find that a lot of the 'guru' courses are actually very powerful and great value for money.

    It is a matter of knowing where you currently sit and what you need to know. I am yet to come across a course that works off fundamentals that still doesn't apply today.

    Email Marketing, Article Marketing, Lead Generation, Sales Copy, Ad Copy (PPC/Adwords) etc are pretty much evergreen. Gee, even a lot of the old AdSense and affiliate courses still have information that more than applies today if you think laterally.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3695114].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    I have secrets...and then

    I have massive secrets taht I share with no one.

    Why? I spent money testing to see how well they work.

    I share the good ones.....but the killer stuff I never let out. Unless I am feeling generous of course....but that is not today LOL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3695856].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bmillionaire324
    Originally Posted by lcombs View Post

    Short-and-sweet...

    I believe that the reason the "gurus" give up their "secrets" is because they've already blead the plans and techniques they're promoting dry.
    The only way left for them to make money on them is to sell them.

    Thoughts anyone?
    I agree, but still you can learn a lot and if it does not work just use the guarantee they promise..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3695867].message }}

Trending Topics