Using your own referral code to get a product cheaper

by AFI
28 replies
I have never done this except in one case where the program owner told me that I could. I am so furious right now that someone used their affiliate code to purchase my WSO in order to get it cheaper. Does this piss anyone else off?

It would be different if my income stream was passive, but I actually have to hire a full time staff to help me with my WSO to make it happen. I can't believe the nerve of some people.
#cheaper #code #product #referral
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    If they were doing so because they want to check out your product before they promote it then I wouldn't be too concerned. If they were doing it just because they are a cheapskate then karma will sort them out in the future.

    They've already cost you money so don't let it get to you and waste anymore of your time and money worrying about it. It's not worth it...

    Maybe you could contact the person and at least ask them for a testimonial or review?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727099].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AFI
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      If they were doing so because they want to check out your product before they promote it then I wouldn't be too concerned.
      I've had several other people do this and they paid full price and still wrote me a great testimonial. If I had been contacted first and asked if it was okay, then maybe it wouldn't be a big deal but I have a feeling this person was being a cheapskate. Completely unhappy about this. It took me 2 full days to calm down before I could even respond to them about their order.
      Signature

      Learn about Internet Marketing from my dofollow comment blog.....Make Extra Money At Home...
      I WILL BUILD YOU YOUR OWN CUSTOM AMAZON REVIEW SITE - HUNDREDS SOLD!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727125].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillR
        Originally Posted by AFI View Post

        I've had several other people do this and they paid full price and still wrote me a great testimonial. If I had been contacted first and asked if it was okay, then maybe it wouldn't be a big deal but I have a feeling this person was being a cheapskate. Completely unhappy about this. It took me 2 full days to calm down before I could even respond to them about their order.
        There's plenty of them out there. I guess you should be happy he didn't just got to a blk hat site and download your product for free. That's an even bigger concern than your one. But once again, there's not much you can do about it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727135].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author AFI
          Originally Posted by WillR View Post

          There's plenty of them out there. I guess you should be happy he didn't just got to a blk hat site and download your product for free. That's an even bigger concern than your one. But once again, there's not much you can do about it.
          You can't download my product for free. I'm building sites for people and require a full time staff to help me do so. I am still making a profit after his referral fee was taken out, yes, but it just astounds me the nerve of some people.
          Signature

          Learn about Internet Marketing from my dofollow comment blog.....Make Extra Money At Home...
          I WILL BUILD YOU YOUR OWN CUSTOM AMAZON REVIEW SITE - HUNDREDS SOLD!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727156].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author WillR
            Originally Posted by AFI View Post

            You can't download my product for free. I'm building sites for people and require a full time staff to help me do so. I am still making a profit after his referral fee was taken out, yes, but it just astounds me the nerve of some people.
            Oh hang on, this was a payment for a service you are offering? Why didn't you just not deliver the service and refund his partial payment? Sack him as a customer!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727167].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author AFI
              Originally Posted by WillR View Post

              Oh hang on, this was a payment for a service you are offering? Why didn't you just not deliver the service and refund his partial payment? Sack him as a customer!
              Yes it is a service, not a passive income off of just one product. I thought of refunding him but I hate turning down business. Like I said, I am STILL making a profit, but just a smaller one. I dunno, I went back and forth in my head about refunding him and decided to just take the high road and build the site for him.
              Signature

              Learn about Internet Marketing from my dofollow comment blog.....Make Extra Money At Home...
              I WILL BUILD YOU YOUR OWN CUSTOM AMAZON REVIEW SITE - HUNDREDS SOLD!
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727176].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Williams
    Nope, it does not piss me off. I mean, yea, I like it much better when I get a full amount, but people do this, and the merchant still makes profit in this case. I understand the reason it pisses you off though...

    Just don`t spend the time to think of it. Think of other things that are positive, you`ll feel much better!

    EXCELLENT idea on a review WillR!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Didnt we cover this extensively just recently???
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727136].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dexx
    Whenever I setup an affiliate program for a product, I pretty much just expect to make my "share" of the product sales. Purchases not made through an affiliate count as a bonus...but at the end of the day, you should price your products so you are happy with the % you receive (affil. or no affil.)

    ~Dexx

    PS - ClickBank allows affiliates to buy through their own link...must be some sort of logic to that (since I'm sure they could prevent that somehow)

    PSS - If someone really wants to buy through their own link...they'll find a way...focus on just making more sales
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727178].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Dexx View Post

      ClickBank allows affiliates to buy through their own link...must be some sort of logic to that (since I'm sure they could prevent that somehow)
      They could trivially easily prevent it, of course, but they choose not to. (I happen to think they're right, myself, but this doesn't really matter).

      But isn't this a different situation? One can be dealing there with the situation we discussed not so long ago, to which Johnny referred, where someone buys "to inspect" with a view to promoting it themselves?

      I don't think there was any suggestion of that with the WSO sale, was there? I haven't done a WSO and am not familiar with how that works?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727217].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AFI
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        They could trivially easily prevent it, of course, but they choose not to.

        But isn't this different? One can be dealing there with the situation we discussed not so long ago, to which Johnny referred, where someone buys "to inspect" with a view to promoting it themselves?

        I don't think there was any suggestion of that with the WSO sale, was there? I haven't done a WSO and am not familiar with how that works?
        Then I feel if someone wants a "review copy" (which doesn't even exist with my WSO) they should contact the owner first as a heads up instead of just doing it on their own. Perhaps if I had been asked, I would feel differently.
        Signature

        Learn about Internet Marketing from my dofollow comment blog.....Make Extra Money At Home...
        I WILL BUILD YOU YOUR OWN CUSTOM AMAZON REVIEW SITE - HUNDREDS SOLD!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727233].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Originally Posted by AFI View Post

          Then I feel if someone wants a "review copy" (which doesn't even exist with my WSO) they should contact the owner first as a heads up instead of just doing it on their own.
          Yes, I understand. Well, if it doesn't exist, it doesn't exist.

          My sympathies are instinctively on the side of the WSO seller, in this instance, I must say. It doesn't seem to me to be the same sort of situation as on Clickbank, at all. :confused:
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727246].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author AFI
            Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post


            My sympathies are instinctively on the side of the WSO seller, in this instance, I must say. It doesn't seem to me to be the same sort of situation as on Clickbank, at all. :confused:
            Definitely when it's a service and not just a product. Oh well. I've vented enough about it. Like I said, it took me 2 full days before I could even reply back to the guy I was so irate. People are just cheap, I guess you can't get around that. :rolleyes:
            Signature

            Learn about Internet Marketing from my dofollow comment blog.....Make Extra Money At Home...
            I WILL BUILD YOU YOUR OWN CUSTOM AMAZON REVIEW SITE - HUNDREDS SOLD!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727259].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author WillR
          Originally Posted by AFI View Post

          Then I feel if someone wants a "review copy" (which doesn't even exist with my WSO) they should contact the owner first as a heads up instead of just doing it on their own. Perhaps if I had been asked, I would feel differently.
          You could get his service ready and just before you deliver it to him, send an email explaining that his product is ready to be sent over however you are waiting for the second half of the payment. See him talk his way out of that one.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727251].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author AFI
            Originally Posted by WillR View Post

            You could get his service ready and just before you deliver it to him, send an email explaining that his product is ready to be sent over however you are waiting for the second half of the payment. See him talk his way out of that one.
            HAHA!!! This is classic! Perhaps I just might!
            Signature

            Learn about Internet Marketing from my dofollow comment blog.....Make Extra Money At Home...
            I WILL BUILD YOU YOUR OWN CUSTOM AMAZON REVIEW SITE - HUNDREDS SOLD!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727265].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AFI
      Originally Posted by Dexx View Post

      Whenever I setup an affiliate program for a product, I pretty much just expect to make my "share" of the product sales. Purchases not made through an affiliate count as a bonus...but at the end of the day, you should price your products so you are happy with the % you receive (affil. or no affil.)

      ~Dexx

      PS - ClickBank allows affiliates to buy through their own link...must be some sort of logic to that (since I'm sure they could prevent that somehow)

      PSS - If someone really wants to buy through their own link...they'll find a way...focus on just making more sales
      It's not through Clickbank. It's a service I'm offering. It would be different if it were just a product that I'm making a passive income off of. And yes I've priced it so I'm still making a profit off of affiliate sales.

      I feel like I'm repeating myself at this point. :rolleyes:
      Signature

      Learn about Internet Marketing from my dofollow comment blog.....Make Extra Money At Home...
      I WILL BUILD YOU YOUR OWN CUSTOM AMAZON REVIEW SITE - HUNDREDS SOLD!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727219].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      You said WSO but do you mean the classified ad? I noticed you posted about this in that one.

      We may not like it - but some affiliates see a product price as

      PRODUCT + COMMISSION

      In the end, whether someone sells to himself or to a friend...you earn the same amount. You agree to that $$ amount when you decide to use affiliate sales.

      It's not a new complaint and there are sellers on both sides of the fence. If you don't want the sale - refund it and tell him why. But first - look at your affiliate agreement and see if this practice is prohibited or not.

      kay
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world -
      but the world will be forever changed for that one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ratracegrad
    I am not sure why you are angry. Can't your affiliate be a customer also? Does your affiliate agreement state that affiliates have to pay full price for the product? If your affiliate sells your service to someone they get a commission but if they sell your service to themselves then they shouldn't get a commission on that sale? Shouldn't the affiliate but upset that you are randomly deciding which sales should get a commission and which sales should not? Isn't a sale a sale? Your affiliate agreement probably states they get a commission on a sale and they agreed to this when they signed on to be an affiliate. They made a sale and you are balking at the commission to be paid on that sale?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727271].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AFI
      Originally Posted by ratracegrad View Post

      I am not sure why you are angry. Can't your affiliate be a customer also? Does your affiliate agreement state that affiliates have to pay full price for the product? If your affiliate sells your service to someone they get a commission but if they sell your service to themselves then they shouldn't get a commission on that sale? Shouldn't the affiliate but upset that you are randomly deciding which sales should get a commission and which sales should not? Isn't a sale a sale? Your affiliate agreement probably states they get a commission on a sale and they agreed to this when they signed on to be an affiliate. They made a sale and you are balking at the commission to be paid on that sale?
      Because they didn't EARN the sale, they just used it for themselves to get the service done cheaper. And yes my affiliate agreement states that you cannot use your own link code. I'm just allowing it to happen because I've decided the fight isn't worth it.

      I've only come here to vent my frustrations. Nothing more.
      Signature

      Learn about Internet Marketing from my dofollow comment blog.....Make Extra Money At Home...
      I WILL BUILD YOU YOUR OWN CUSTOM AMAZON REVIEW SITE - HUNDREDS SOLD!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727297].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Turbine3333
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727274].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TheCG
      Personally, I don't understand why some people get so upset about someone buying through their own affiliate link, either.

      If I set up something where an affiliate can sell it, I obviously want affiliate sales and will be happy with all of them that come in.

      What if the guy had bought it through another affiliate's link?

      Someone that will only buy through their own link most likely wouldn't have bought it any other way anyhow.

      Just my two cents. Keep the change.
      Signature

      Yes, by the way, I AM in the Witness Protection Program. I could tell you who I am but then I would have to kill you.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727315].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Jennifer, this isn't the first time some bit of perfectly human behavior has caused you to invest a lot of energy (polite way of saying getting your undies in a knot).

        I sympathize with you, but you need to realize that stuff like this is going to happen. If it takes you two days to calm down from making a small profit instead of a larger one because someone cheated, you're going to give yourself an ulcer.

        Since your affiliate agreement gives you the right to turn down the sale, and you chose to take the money anyway, there's nothing to get upset about. In addition, you've now set a precedent for the next person who wants to cheat you. I'd watch out for more people looking for a personal discount via your affiliate program.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3727381].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gyar29
    Originally Posted by AFI View Post

    It took me 2 full days to calm down before I could even respond to them about their order.
    2 days!!! That is impressive!

    When you choose to get pissed, you really get pissed! You've more energy than I can ever hope to have.

    During those 2 days I do hope you made time to throw a really good hissy fit.

    Nothing like laying down on the floor while kicking and screaming to vent a little frustration.

    Of course, you may have decided that this whole issue really didn't require that much drama.

    If so, good for you.

    Sweating the small stuff is usually detrimental to only you.

    Not that I'm implying that this is small stuff.

    Au contraire mon cheri, your level of pisstivity is proof positive that this issue is really big stuff. :-?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3728114].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AFI
      Originally Posted by gyar29 View Post

      2 days!!! That is impressive!

      When you choose to get pissed, you really get pissed! You've more energy than I can ever hope to have.

      During those 2 days I do hope you made time to throw a really good hissy fit.

      Nothing like laying down on the floor while kicking and screaming to vent a little frustration.

      Of course, you may have decided that this whole issue really didn't require that much drama.

      If so, good for you.

      Sweating the small stuff is usually detrimental to only you.

      Not that I'm implying that this is small stuff.

      Au contraire mon cheri, your level of pisstivity is proof positive that this issue is really big stuff. :-?


      HAHA I can't help it, it's the Italian/Irish temper in me. I'm doomed!!
      Signature

      Learn about Internet Marketing from my dofollow comment blog.....Make Extra Money At Home...
      I WILL BUILD YOU YOUR OWN CUSTOM AMAZON REVIEW SITE - HUNDREDS SOLD!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3728169].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iuditg
    I see a lot of people doing this not just for WSO but for clickbank and infact lots of other stuffs to. We can't stop this, the only thing we can do is move on and stop worrying about that and promote our product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3728154].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JayVance
    Yeah I wouldn't be too upset. I'd rather them get the product and review it so they can push more sales.
    Signature
    Free Article Directory -> Free Expert Article Directory, High Quality Submissions Only! Your-Answers.com PR3

    SEO Passive Income -> Learn how to make a Passive Income Online
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3728185].message }}

Trending Topics