My hubby is 40 years old. He is a disabled vet, and he has health issues.
We had originally decided that he would "retire" (i.e. leave his j-o-b, come home and work with me) in December of 2009.
Due to several issues (health being one), he wants to retire/quit in June of 2009 - six months early.
So, I made a deal with him. He can retire anytime after the following are true:
- We are debt-free. House, cars, everything.
- We have 6 months' worth of expenses in savings.
- I have had an increase in income for at least 3 months in a row.
Now, in order to make this happen, I have done the following:
- I have arranged for one-on-one mentoring/coaching from someone on the "next level" who can help me make the leap into a 6-figure income. Why? Because it is worth it for me to learn from someone else's experience.
- I have created a business plan - breaking everything down by the numbers.
- I have developed a passive income strategy - yes, I make money from writing, but I want to have more passive income streams.
- I have gotten input from Hubby and we are figuring out what his role will be in the future with our business.
- We have scheduled "test days" - days where he will take leave and we will work on how our daily schedule will be once he retires. We have scheduled at least 1 or 2 each month.
- I am already involving him in some aspects of the business - mostly research at this point.
- Dreambuilding - we discuss our ideal lifestyle and visualize our future. We have visited new homes to dream, as well.
- Insurance - we are already investigating health insurance options for our family.
Hope this helps someone.