Newbies: Don't Get Discouraged - My Short Story

37 replies
I've been working at IM for a while now. I originally tried to start an authority site in the fitness niche and it didn't go very well. Then I tried the Google Sniper approach, and once again that didn't get me anywhere. So I took a step back and read as much as I could here. Best decision I have made.

I have since made two review sites, one for Amazon Associates, and one for some Clickbank products. I haven't made any sales with the Clickbank site, but I haven't really given it that much attention. I just started making sales on my Amazon site (1.27% CR, but hey it's better than nothing). My amazon site is ranked on page 1 for my main keyword, and now I am working on getting it in the top 3. It feels good to start seeing progress. If you keep at it and put the things you learn here into practice you will make it happen.

Now I can evaluate the things I am doing now and figure out how to increase my conversion rate. Once I start seeing better conversions I plan to rinse and repeat the process.

Make a plan, on paper, and stick to it. Don't make excuses, just work at it.

I have also started making a little money with AdSense which is awesome because it's just something that's in the background of it all.

Also, before you start spending money on ANYTHING I recommend you invest $37.00 in a WarRoom membership - it's been incredibly helpful to me. You will be amazed at the things you will find in the War Room.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my small success with you guys and hopefully help you stay motivated. Good luck.
#discouraged #newbies #short #story
  • Profile picture of the author pollytoast
    Thank you for your post, it has given me inspiration.
    I hate my job in a call center, it is soul destroying and with my husband working away 5 days a week and my two little ones (2 year old son 11 month old daughter) I can't change jobs right now, I can't even afford childcare. Been trying to make money online for about 7 years now (I too tried google sniper, still not made a single sale) and just joined amazon affiliates 2 weeks ago, if you don't mind me asking, did you buy a course that helped you to make money with amazon?
    Keep it up and best of luck in the future.
    regards, Polly.
    Signature

    Halloween may be over but you can still check out these awesome Sons Of Anarchy Halloween costumes, these are quality items and not just for Halloween.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755298].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author doorkicker13
      Originally Posted by pollytoast View Post

      Thank you for your post, it has given me inspiration.
      I hate my job in a call center, it is soul destroying and with my husband working away 5 days a week and my two little ones (2 year old son 11 month old daughter) I can't change jobs right now, I can't even afford childcare. Been trying to make money online for about 7 years now (I too tried google sniper, still not made a single sale) and just joined amazon affiliates 2 weeks ago, if you don't mind me asking, did you buy a course that helped you to make money with amazon?
      Keep it up and best of luck in the future.
      regards, Polly.
      I did not buy a course for Amazon, I did however get some information about Amazon sales in the War Room. There has also been tons of Amazon related threads in this section which have helped too. Just search around and absorb as much as you can but don't get caught up in trying to do everything perfect - if you don't act nothing is going to happen for you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755362].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BoDarville
      Originally Posted by pollytoast View Post

      Thank you for your post, it has given me inspiration.
      I hate my job in a call center, it is soul destroying and with my husband working away 5 days a week and my two little ones (2 year old son 11 month old daughter) I can't change jobs right now, I can't even afford childcare. Been trying to make money online for about 7 years now (I too tried google sniper, still not made a single sale) and just joined amazon affiliates 2 weeks ago, if you don't mind me asking, did you buy a course that helped you to make money with amazon?
      Keep it up and best of luck in the future.
      regards, Polly.
      I'm not trying to thread jack - but Polly - if you will take what you've learned while raising your 2 year old son, and take what you've learned so far from your 11 month old daughter ... and just TELL YOUR STORY ... in an informative e-book ... tips, tricks, lessons others may not know ... you'll be well on your way to leaving that job you hate so much. "Moms" is a huge, huge niche and there's definitely a dollar to be made there.

      And doorkicker - I like your approach - it's a good one -- just throw everything you can throw out there -- each time you're learning lessons, valuable lessons - that will eventually become the basis for your own ebook/WSO and then you'll see the fruits of your labor.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755437].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author glennda
        Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post

        I'm not trying to thread jack - but Polly - if you will take what you've learned while raising your 2 year old son, and take what you've learned so far from your 11 month old daughter ... and just TELL YOUR STORY ... in an informative e-book ... tips, tricks, lessons others may not know ... you'll be well on your way to leaving that job you hate so much. "Moms" is a huge, huge niche and there's definitely a dollar to be made there.

        And doorkicker - I like your approach - it's a good one -- just throw everything you can throw out there -- each time you're learning lessons, valuable lessons - that will eventually become the basis for your own ebook/WSO and then you'll see the fruits of your labor.
        Ok, now you have tweaked my interest. How much money do I need to put out to make an e book, and how does one sell it? Can you point me in the right direction? That is a great Idea.
        Signature

        Make a minimum of $4 per lead. No Cost for you.
        Start now

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757250].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BoDarville
          Originally Posted by glennda View Post

          Ok, now you have tweaked my interest. How much money do I need to put out to make an e book, and how does one sell it? Can you point me in the right direction? That is a great Idea.
          One place to start is this thread.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757491].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author paulie888
            Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post

            One place to start is this thread.
            Hopefully Glenda will get inspired by that thread. Glenda, please don't think you've nothing to offer the market, because you most likely do (I think most people will be pleasantly surprised when they find out how much others will appreciate their product, if they ever get around to creating it!)

            It doesn't cost you a dime to create a simple product. You can use a regular word processor of any kind, including Open Office, to write your ebook/report and export it into PDF format. You can even create simple videos with a maximum length of 15 minutes with screencast-o-matic for free (you'll want to break up your videos into short ones anyway, as this will make it easier for your viewers to digest the information you're disseminating) -
            Screencast-O-Matic - Free online screen recorder for instant screen capture video sharing.

            As you can see, you've absolutely no excuse for not creating simple products that can generate income consistently for you.

            Paul
            Signature
            >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757528].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author glennda
              Originally Posted by paulie888 View Post

              Hopefully Glenda will get inspired by that thread. Glenda, please don't think you've nothing to offer the market, because you most likely do (I think most people will be pleasantly surprised when they find out how much others will appreciate their product, if they ever get around to creating it!)

              It doesn't cost you a dime to create a simple product. You can use a regular word processor of any kind, including Open Office, to write your ebook/report and export it into PDF format. You can even create simple videos with a maximum length of 15 minutes with screencast-o-matic for free (you'll want to break up your videos into short ones anyway, as this will make it easier for your viewers to digest the information you're disseminating) -
              Screencast-O-Matic - Free online screen recorder for instant screen capture video sharing.

              As you can see, you've absolutely no excuse for not creating simple products that can generate income consistently for you.

              Paul
              You are right Paul, I do not have an excuse. I didn't realize it was that easy, seriously. I will check out the link the I will get started. How do I export it to a pdf format or where can I find information about that, just google it? Once I make the ebook/report, how do I get it out there to the world?

              Greatly appreciated
              Brenda
              Signature

              Make a minimum of $4 per lead. No Cost for you.
              Start now

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757554].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author paulie888
                Originally Posted by glennda View Post

                You are right Paul, I do not have an excuse. I didn't realize it was that easy, seriously. I will check out the link the I will get started. How do I export it to a pdf format or where can I find information about that, just google it? Once I make the ebook/report, how do I get it out there to the world?

                Greatly appreciated
                Brenda
                Glenda, most word processors have a PDF export function. It's usually in the File menu, you can also install a free converter if you're unsure about how to do this (it really isn't necessary, but it's something you can fall back on as a last resort) -
                PDF Converter &mdash; #1 Free PDF Creator &mdash; PrimoPDF

                Paul
                Signature
                >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757581].message }}
    • Originally Posted by pollytoast View Post

      Thank you for your post, it has given me inspiration.
      I hate my job in a call center, it is soul destroying and with my husband working away 5 days a week and my two little ones (2 year old son 11 month old daughter) I can't change jobs right now, I can't even afford childcare. Been trying to make money online for about 7 years now (I too tried google sniper, still not made a single sale) and just joined amazon affiliates 2 weeks ago, if you don't mind me asking, did you buy a course that helped you to make money with amazon?
      Keep it up and best of luck in the future.
      regards, Polly.
      Hi Polly,

      I have sent you a PM. However, I'm not sure if you can receive PMs or not.

      Therefore, please respond back here in this thread and I will provide you with my email address so that you can contact me -- I will keep an eye out for your reply.

      Edit: Polly, glad that my PM went through and that you were able to contact me.

      Cheers,

      JMB
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757622].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Miranda
    Great story, good advice here.

    @ Pollytoast. Try offering a service online. You must be good at something. This is a great way to start to make money. From there you can move on to things like product creation...etc

    Good luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755318].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rohan Anderson
    Thanks for sharing your story. Good on you for sticking at it.

    There are so many ways to make money online. Sometimes it takes doing a few things to find out what works best for you.

    Continued success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author glennda
    Originally Posted by doorkicker13 View Post

    I've been working at IM for a while now. I originally tried to start an authority site in the fitness niche and it didn't go very well. Then I tried the Google Sniper approach, and once again that didn't get me anywhere. So I took a step back and read as much as I could here. Best decision I have made.

    I have since made two review sites, one for Amazon Associates, and one for some Clickbank products. I haven't made any sales with the Clickbank site, but I haven't really given it that much attention. I just started making sales on my Amazon site (1.27% CR, but hey it's better than nothing). My amazon site is ranked on page 1 for my main keyword, and now I am working on getting it in the top 3. It feels good to start seeing progress. If you keep at it and put the things you learn here into practice you will make it happen.

    Now I can evaluate the things I am doing now and figure out how to increase my conversion rate. Once I start seeing better conversions I plan to rinse and repeat the process.

    Make a plan, on paper, and stick to it. Don't make excuses, just work at it.

    I have also started making a little money with AdSense which is awesome because it's just something that's in the background of it all.

    Also, before you start spending money on ANYTHING I recommend you invest $37.00 in a WarRoom membership - it's been incredibly helpful to me. You will be amazed at the things you will find in the War Room.

    Anyway, I just wanted to share my small success with you guys and hopefully help you stay motivated. Good luck.
    This is a great story. I love how you are totally upfront about your sales and lack of sales. I forgot about joining the WarRoom actually so thanks for the reminder. I totally agree with sticking to it and working on it daily. Eventually, it gets easier and less intimidating.

    Keep us posted.
    Brenda
    Signature

    Make a minimum of $4 per lead. No Cost for you.
    Start now

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757242].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Juicy J
    I agree that the War Room membership is the best money I have spent on anything. The key to success is definitely persistence. I love hearing success stories and this forum has taught me so much. Keep grinding and set goals to make. Take everything one step at a time. Build off of what what is working and keep learning. Keep rockin Warriors.
    Signature

    Always thinking about new business ventures; both a blessing and a curse :)

    @TheWristList

    Rock Online Marketing LLC

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757292].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sathia Seelan
      Hi doorkicker13,
      Totally agree with you when you mentioned "Don't make excuses, just work at it."

      Lots of BS are coming out nowadays and many time I had fallen victim to over-hyped sales letters. Nowadays I just focus on 2 online business methods and work to improve them.

      I follow this popular tip : always give more (in value) to your customers. Once you earn their trust, then they will feel comfortable dealing bigger service with you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757463].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Flugelbinders
    awesome exchange guys. Never give up!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757575].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amanda Craven
    Doorkicker, you too could come up with your own product and turn it into a WSO when you are ready. Simply document your success as it grows and use that to teach others how to emulate you, particularly your processes such as evaluation and adjustment to achieve more profit.

    People love to learn through narrative and your story shows fellow struggling Warriors that success can and will happen once you have a suitable system in place.

    As far as product creation goes, I would suggest to everyone that you add a video or audio element if you can. It's cheap and easy to do - simply look around on the forum for guidance - and adds a great deal to the perceived value of your product.

    Good luck everyone and PM me if you need some pointers!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757638].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JonnyNez
    Thanks for your encouragement and advice. It's nice to see that after all your hard work over the years that you are finally seeing successes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757692].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daws0n
    If you keep at it and put the things you learn here into practice you will make it happen.
    Probably the best part in your story.
    most of us just read/learn but fail/resist to put things into action and this is the worst part,
    the ones who put the learning part into actions will succeed nine out of ten times.
    Signature
    I don't have a signature dude!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757734].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve Lim
      Thank you for sharing. I believe that the attitude of commitment, consistency and focus is realyl important to be success in internet marketing or any others industry.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Big__Lebowski
    Make a plan, on paper, and stick to it.
    that's true, paper have great role in internet marketing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757943].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GFighter
    Good story, wish you more and more success.
    My little advice to everyone - when you start working, not stop learning. I don't know even one guru, who knows everything in this job...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757950].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author doorkicker13
      Originally Posted by GFighter View Post

      Good story, wish you more and more success.
      My little advice to everyone - when you start working, not stop learning. I don't know even one guru, who knows everything in this job...
      I agree that you should always be learning, but I think people often get so caught up in learning and trying to do everything right that they never take action.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3759238].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rixter
        Originally Posted by doorkicker13 View Post

        I agree that you should always be learning, but I think people often get so caught up in learning and trying to do everything right that they never take action.
        I suffer from analysis paralysis. We all need these types of success stories to motivate us to get off our duffs and take action--some kind of action. Anything. Nothing will ever happen, if like me, we just keep analysis what we PLAN to do and never actually do anything.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3759564].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author doorkicker13
          Originally Posted by Rixter View Post

          I suffer from analysis paralysis. We all need these types of success stories to motivate us to get off our duffs and take action--some kind of action. Anything. Nothing will ever happen, if like me, we just keep analysis what we PLAN to do and never actually do anything.
          Hey, identifying the problem is the first step. Now you just need to do something about it!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3759581].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author allenjohn
    Well done! One of The 77 Secrets is "never, EVER, give up"

    Keep on going! All the very best, Allen
    Signature

    Make Money with Niche Blogs Auto Profit - Let us build YOUR auto blogging empire for you. BUY BACK GUARANTEE for Gold Orders! FAQ - NEW! - One Way Link Building Service

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757993].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
    Hi doorkicker13, I am inspired with your story. Hopefully in the near future I could taste the fruit of success that you are experiencing right now.

    More power to you!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757995].message }}
  • Thanks for your advice. Writing a business plan always helps you in the long run because it allows you to view your internet business on a broader scale.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3759252].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Vanessa Reece
      I love to read inspirational stories like this. Well done Doorkicker!

      Too often we think we can fall into a million just by putting up a website. It takes work and learning curves. Glad you pointed that out.

      I came here last year looking for answers, I found them, in the WAR room especially. I'd made some money through affiliates before and tried a few strategies to make more. Some totally bombed but others didn't. I molded some strategies to suit my niche and content delivery - that has also worked for me.

      I then got my behind off line and worked coaching and consultancy - both brought me a lot of knowledge about what people want and put food on the table.

      Now I'm really focusing back on coaching online as I've found there are lots of people who don't even know how to work Facebook, twitter, or even set up a newsletter. (that's just from spending time with my clients offline. Honestly some barely know how an email works ) They will spend money to find out the solution to their hurdle.

      All these things we take for granted we are able to teach others to do in a ebook, e-course or membership site.

      I think it was Kim Roach who said be a hedgehog and not a fox - meaning hedgehogs are slow but purposeful - they always get to where they need to go - as opposed to a fox who will just go in for the kill without thinking each step through. Well it made sense to me.

      Mindmaps are also great for planning your course of action out. You can find free mind map software online.

      People speak of consistency - and I have to say that's a key point, but by the same token if you don't truly believe in something or it eats up money like no one's business to even get into it - I'd say pick something that will come naturally.

      I'm seeing a lot of movement in the survival niche right now - its not for me but it may be for someone. Same as self sustainability, budget buying for the family, emotional eating, coping with debt, and as someone else mentioned - the mom niche...I could go on but you get the picture.

      My hobby began with wanting to build blogs and websites just for fun, then marketing online, then social media...everything I do both on and offline comes naturally because I enjoy it and I've been able to turn my hobby into a business complete with an accountant. :p

      I still consider myself new - because this whole game always brings new ideas and new niches to tap. But by the same token I can now confidently walk into a training room of a big company and tell them the best route to their niche online. I can encourage them to join my newsletter for free info and I can give freebies as well as some affiliates in there...you see where I'm going with this?

      LOL Even if they don't buy I continue to help, its strengthens the relationship and even leads to them referring your site/products to others who will buy.

      The biggest thing for me was believing I COULD. I had to grow some (pardon the terminology) Your knowledge is your power tool.

      If you enjoy it, over deliver to your prospects/site visitors and if you have the opportunity get offline and actually tell people about your fabulous ebook,site, etc then invite them to your site for lots of free info to help them find a solution to their problem.

      Re Affiliates - I was telling a business owner offline the other day about how he could source out some of his tasks because he said he didn't have the time to do everything he needed to. I gave him my Odesk affiliate link via a Skype chat - I got about £32 for that I think. All it took was having the knowledge to suggest something that would work for him.

      Keep on going - and build your income with small but targeted steps.

      Best,

      V
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3759711].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author panduari
    wow... thanks u given me inspiration
    Signature
    GUARANTEEE $3000/month, i made it in 2 months.
    just Check This Out before you late
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3759627].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pmbrent
    Great story and motivational
    Signature
    Who Else Wants to Learn Everything About QR Codes AND How to Make From Them?

    Special WSO Price!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3764090].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ScottGordon
    Good advice throughout this thread.

    Hard work is involved. Too often, though, we think that spending hours at the Warrior Forum is actual work. Yes, the WF is a double-edged sword: there's plenty to learn here, but also it can be a time-drain and we can become distracted from the work we really ought to be doing.

    Hey, it feels good to wade around in the WF and read the WSOs and convince ourselves that there's some magic system that is going to make it all work for us. And yes, I have found many, many great strategies and techniques and "secret" tips which were invaluable. But I have to keep reminding myself that I have everything I need right now to make it happen. Just focus and get to work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3764159].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fazal Mayar
    good stuff... we should never give up
    Signature

    Blogger at RicherOrNot.com (Make Money online blog but also promoting ethical internet marketing)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3764251].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wsoram
    Good advise! Ty.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3764280].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jgant
    Sounds like you found a method that works for you. Just scale it up big time. Go after more keywords and rank them. Content and backlinks, content and backlinks.

    Once you have plenty of traffic, expand your monetization options.
    Signature
    How I hit $10,000+ per month very fast w/ 1 niche blog - Click Here to learn more (no opt-in).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3765489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kiddoman
    You can get reward if you choose the right way to go! Making online money is not that kind of hard thing! All you do is pretty useful to me! I am working on it and hope to get a nice outcome someday!
    Signature

    Small Business for Women's Clothing:
    Fashionable sweet lolita dress with various styles | cheap Gothic lolita dress for female | Affordable Latex Catsuits | Cheap Latex Clothes
    Any Suggestions are Warmly Welcomed - My Lolita Dress

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3767205].message }}

Trending Topics