"The Make Money Online Niche is a Scam"

44 replies
This is an actual conversation that took place yesterday...

Putz: What do you do for a living?

Me: I teach business owners how to get more traffic, make more sales, and manage their business relationships better.

Putz: So, you teach people how to make money?

Me: I do.

Putz: That's a bit dodgy, don't you think? I mean, you make money by teaching others to make money.

Me: So, if you teach somebody skills that they need to succeed you are a scammer?

Putz: Pretty much.

Me: Are colleges that teach people how to succeed in business scammers too?

Putz: Pretty much.

Me: What do you do for a living?

Putz: I'm unemployed. The economy sucks.
  • Profile picture of the author Buford Mobley
    Putz is the perfect example of: "the mind is like a parachute. It only works if it's open."

    Unfortunately, that is what the majority of society has been taught.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755564].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author James Clark
      Originally Posted by Netbiznewbie View Post

      Putz is the perfect example of: "the mind is like a parachute. It only works if it's open."

      Unfortunately, that is what the majority of society has been taught.
      I love that statement. That is so cool(lol) Try this one. The guy that Brian was talking to "if brains was gun power he wouldn't have enough to blow his nose"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755647].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
      Originally Posted by Netbiznewbie View Post


      "the mind is like a parachute. It only works if it's open."
      That's a good one! I haven't heard that before.
      Signature

      Founder of JVZoo. All around good guy :)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755750].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    well there broke for a reason. and it's not because their the brightest people on earth.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755566].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BaltimoreDave
    That guy's a loser.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755787].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Albert Pasillas
    Putz sounds like a member of my family. Except Putz has a PHd and cant get a JOB! I love it!

    Albert
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755895].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scott g
    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    Me: Are colleges that teach people how to succeed in business scammers too?

    Putz: Pretty much.

    Me: What do you do for a living?

    Putz: I'm unemployed. The economy sucks.
    LMFAO!! This is CLASSIC... The college one is true though! LOL! :p

    CHEERS!
    Signature
    scott g
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."
    Law firm marketing St. Louis SEO Financial Advisor SEO National SEO Services
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3755949].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jan roos
      Me: I teach business owners how to get more traffic, make more sales, and manage their business relationships better.



      You actually have great standard response to the question. I just say I build websites and leave it at that because trying to explain what I really do is a lost cause.

      Cheers
      Signature

      I'll teach you how to make money like a Mamba.

      Sign up for the free money mambas newsletter!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3756030].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ShayB
        It's even better when you say, "I'm a writer."

        People have this picture in their head about some hack living in his/her mom's basement and not getting a "real job" because he/she is going to be the next Stephen King/Anne Rice as soon as their work is discovered. :rolleyes:

        Trying to convince those people otherwise is futile, so I don't try.

        (As a side note, most of the people with that opinion can barely string together 6 written words in a coherent sentence, so I don't lose any sleep over what they think.)
        Signature
        "Fate protects fools, little children, and ships called Enterprise." ~Commander Riker
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3756146].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
          Originally Posted by ShayRockhold View Post

          It's even better when you say, "I'm a writer."

          People have this picture in their head about some hack living in his/her mom's basement and not getting a "real job" because he/she is going to be the next Stephen King/Anne Rice as soon as their work is discovered. :rolleyes:

          Trying to convince those people otherwise is futile, so I don't try.

          (As a side note, most of the people with that opinion can barely string together 6 written words in a coherent sentence, so I don't lose any sleep over what they think.)

          When I tell people I write for a living, the responses have been universal, so far.

          First universal response:

          You write books?

          Second:

          Then what do you write?

          Third:

          Oh!

          Happens every time. Yawn...


          Ken
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3756290].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ShayB
            Originally Posted by KenThompson View Post

            When I tell people I write for a living, the responses have been universal, so far.

            First universal response:

            You write books?

            Second:

            Then what do you write?

            Third:

            Oh!

            Happens every time. Yawn...


            Ken
            I get that, too! :rolleyes:
            Signature
            "Fate protects fools, little children, and ships called Enterprise." ~Commander Riker
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3756572].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Presto Smith
          IM does not appeal to everyone out there (thankfully), but those of us who have come up to bat and made something out of nothing know the true potential of this market.

          It is more challenging than most "jobs" out there, but even the smallest reward for your effort is far more satisfying.

          On the flip side of things, the spam-packed products offering overnight riches do tend to give the whole profession an ugly face.

          I cannot tell you how many times I've had the conversation that ends with the other person saying "Man, I wish I could get in on some of that internet money!" Sadly, this is rarely followed up with them creating a plan of action.
          Signature
          Presto! Web Developers at Your Service.
          Like Us | We Need Some Fans :) Help a Brother Out and Like Us on Facebook.
          Secure Clickbank Product Delivery | follow link for the WSO (unbeatable price)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3756493].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Hesaidblissfully
          Originally Posted by ShayRockhold View Post

          It's even better when you say, "I'm a writer."

          People have this picture in their head about some hack living in his/her mom's basement and not getting a "real job" because he/she is going to be the next Stephen King/Anne Rice as soon as their work is discovered. :rolleyes:
          Don't we all do that, though?

          I mean like if you meet someone and they tell you they're a particle physicist, don't you picture them in a lab somewhere doing all sorts of crazy, possibly dangerous experiments with glowing lights like you see in the movies? Obviously that's assuming you're not already familiar with the day to day life of a particle physicist. (I don't know, maybe particle physicists actually do all the crazy flashy light stuff. See, I don't know )

          A lot of our ideas about what various occupations are like are shaped by the media unless we have personal experiences/references that tell us what the job is really like. So when you tell somebody you're a writer or an internet marketer, a person's mind flashes to that story they saw in the news last week about work from home scams or that TV show where the single dad is trying to write a novel in between raising three sarcastic kids (and one wacky next door neighbor, of course). The only people I'd expect to REALLY know what it's like are the people who do it for a living or who've researched it for themselves.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3756569].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spectrefax
    Sorry to say but from what I have seen and heard the vast majority of non IM'ers view 'online money making' niche as a scam because so many people have searched for and desire REAL information on this subject yet searching through google and similar main information hubs generally brings up a TON of sites simply trying to scam their customers.

    How about the famous "Mary makes $5436.00 from home posting links for google!"

    On most sales pages for this product the claims are stretched truths to out right lies and many many programs have similar practices. Just browse through clickbank and you will see a lot of the same.

    Sure mary makes a killing with adsense and the program will show you how to set that adsense account up, but it does not tell you how to build and manage a successful website, traffic generation techniques, adsense placement strategies, content production techniques for your site, and on and on and on.

    With people selling and affiliates heavily promoting garbage like this its no wonder people view it as a scam.
    Signature
    *Reserved for cool stuff*
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3756016].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kelly Verge
    I wonder about the responses I'd get if I said, "I get paid for pretending to be a woman."

    (Pen name on one of my niche sites.)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757044].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ShayB
      Originally Posted by Kelly Verge View Post

      I wonder about the responses I'd get if I said, "I get paid for pretending to be a woman."

      (Pen name on one of my niche sites.)
      That made me giggle.

      I can imagine it would definitely be a conversation starter!
      Signature
      "Fate protects fools, little children, and ships called Enterprise." ~Commander Riker
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
    I honestly think its just a mind-set of an older generation. For example anytime I tell one of my older (lets say over 40) family members what I do they immediately think I'm involved in some sort of "online scam."

    However, when I tell someone my age what I do they always reply "thats really cool" and want to know more.

    The only conclusion I have come to is that its a generational thing.
    Signature
    You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nisip
    Banned
    also, these statements come usually from people who tried once just one CB product,
    they did nothing with them, so they label the whole marketing industry as being a scam...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757152].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DOWORKSON
      Those who can't do, teach..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757279].message }}
      • Originally Posted by DOWORKSON View Post

        Those who can't do, teach..
        Ouch, that was nasty :p
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757314].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Marvin Johnston
        Originally Posted by DOWORKSON View Post

        Those who can't do, teach..
        Close, but no cigar:

        Those who can't teach, do.
        Those who can't do either go into politics.

        Marvin
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757341].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author J Bold
          Originally Posted by Marvin Johnston View Post

          Close, but no cigar:

          Those who can't teach, do.
          Those who can't do either go into politics.

          Marvin
          Too true, Marvin, teachers play a very important role in our society and the great ones make a huge, huge impact on their students. Hate that stupid saying, myself, as people think they're so funny and clever using a tired cliche that makes no sense. Teaching is one of the most difficult jobs out there. If you strive to do it well, that is.

          Anyway, as to the point of this OP, I love it, E. Brian Rose. It clearly illuminates what a lot of people think about making money online because of bad experiences they've had in the past. Whether it be pushy MLM (not that ALL MLM is bad) sellers or infomercials or scammy sites that are out there, simple-minded people like to lump all that stuff together and just call it a scam. I think people like to call stuff they are afraid of or they know (as in believing it so much it becomes "knowing" in their mind when really it's just what they think) they can't do a scam, also. Easier just to call it a scam and get on with being unemployed and complaining about the government than doing something and taking a risk on success, right?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757403].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
        Originally Posted by DOWORKSON View Post

        Those who can't do, teach..
        Ha... I've had many years in the trenches. I can teach because I have done!
        Signature

        Founder of JVZoo. All around good guy :)

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757715].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mohammad Afaq
        Originally Posted by DOWORKSON View Post

        Those who can't do, teach..
        Well I say that's bull ****
        Signature

        “The first draft of anything is shit.” ~Ernest Hemingway

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
    lolololol. that is funny stuff. roflz, unfortunately.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757372].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sathia Seelan
      If you keep on questioning and questioning, you will not make any progress. JUST DO IT.

      And trust me, you will be all hyped up to start something new until you will even have a dream bout getting rich with it. But the moment you want to put it into Action, there you go...the world's stock of evil forces will appear and somehow stop you...AT THIS POINT you just got to learn to overcome it...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CheapTrafficDude
    LOL- What truly boggles my mind is how someone can teach someone to make money online be unemployed (not even self employed) and claim the economy sucks, it's been the best "economy" for IM since, well, ever!! That's fella's scamming himself, even if that statement makes no sense, well, neither does that fella
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757387].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author THK
    I kind of like this ignorance. Can you imagine the type of competition we would have if everyone understood that they can actually cash in online using their skills.

    I mean, I don't mind competition but I am not complaining for the lack of it .

    Tanvir
    Signature

    This is my signature!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757414].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BoDarville
    I didn't know my brother lived in your neck of the woods, haha.

    Sounds like something he would say...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SpikeS
    Maybe people think that way because
    a)they've been scammed online
    b)they see headlines on websites like 'this mom made $10K in ten minutes using a google loophole' or 'make money with no work - only $30'
    c)everyone wants to be a MMO guru - I've come across so many websites where someone has made a couple hundred dollars and all of a sudden has set up a website teaching people how to make money online, and sells products to people, who get no results. (this ties in to a also, since some people buy products from these supposed 'gurus' get no results, and feel ripped off).

    I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for the above things peoples attitudes might be different.

    On the flip side it's probably a good thing people's attitudes are the way they are. If not things might be even more competitive than they already are.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757908].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xxxJamesxxx
    Me: What do you do for a living?

    Putz: I'm unemployed. The economy sucks.
    That just sums up Putz... Classic!

    James
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757963].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author allenjohn
    Yep, the problem is the way IMer's market. Here's an image from a recent 'make money' launch:

    http://www.makeamoney.org/images/headlineB.png

    Guess what the feedback about the said product was on this forum? It sucked!

    Is it any wonder Putz has a few brothers?

    All the very best, Allen
    Signature

    Make Money with Niche Blogs Auto Profit - Let us build YOUR auto blogging empire for you. BUY BACK GUARANTEE for Gold Orders! FAQ - NEW! - One Way Link Building Service

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3757982].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    what a moron. Living off the goverment and complaining at the same time.

    LOSER...i dont care what anyone says.

    You dont want to have this idiot on your list or one of your clients, he will end up being a serial refunder and bad mouth you anyway. All the while not taking and action and proving what you have is any good.

    I hope you terminated this conversation with him quick. In todays age and business the smart thing would be tell him to get a job and send him packing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3758021].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nail Yener
    That was a nice one Brian. It is true that most of the people who know nothing about making money online think that "make money online niche" is a scam. But, once they open the door and step into the world of IM, they realize that there are millions of ways to make legitimate money online. We really shouldn't worry about the ones who will never open that door. They will not be our customers for the IM niche, but they will always be our targets for all other niches.

    Teaching someone something that he doesn't know will always bring you money no matter in what niche you are.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3758096].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TG12
      HAHA I loved the ending, Basically you owned him. You handed his arse onto a plate and you should have said to him . . . Sit the **** Down haha! Its not the Economy that sucks its his skills!
      Signature
      Vaoser Link Ninja Software
      DHV Delivery Systems FAILING at online dating???
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3758124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brik2500
    The difference between successful and unsuccessful people is the way they THINK.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3758253].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lucky777
    I can see Putz's point of view. There are far too many people around teaching others how to make money when in fact they've made nothing themselves.

    So you can't blame people thinking everyone is the same.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3758422].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author majurski
    The world needs people like Putz otherwise, everybody will succeed. Then, What people like E. Brian Rose will do ... Nice post.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3758544].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DocReed
    Interesting comments. Obviously, Putz is a Putz.

    However, I'm wondering if the generally low perception of the IM industry isn't, at least in part, due to the overall poor delivery on the promises made by some (most?) product creators and/or affiliates.

    By that I mean, many of the top names in the field say that 90+% of all people who buy products never used them to create a business. If that is true, it seems to me that IM gurus are failing the buying public. Can 90% of the people who were motivated enough to buy suddenly become unmotivated to act?

    I think not. I think that the marketing verbiage used to entice and sell has unsophisticated people believing that they really will get a "business in a box." People believe that all they will have to do is "click a few buttons" and the business will appear on their screen and begin making money.

    When they find out that they have to first: find and buy a domain name; find and buy hosting; transfer the DNS; find and upload WP; find and choose a theme; configure the theme; upload the "business in a box"; etc, etc... they are overwhelmed to the point of doing nothing because they don't know how to do these things and the product doesn't to it for them or even show them how to do it for themselves.

    Unfortunately for these buyers, that product sits on their hard drives while they look at, and buy, the next "bright shinning object" in hopes that it will give them the promised complete-and-ready-business system.

    Now in defense of some (most?) of us, I think that it's natural for skilled people who are selling products and services to not remember just how little we knew when we started. I also think that those who have been very successful have a tendency, because of the growth level of their skillset, to offer products that are more and more sophisticated and that presume the buyer will know how to "do the basics" to be able to utilize the "latest and greatest." However, almost all products today tout that they are for the "complete newbie."

    It's a wonder to me that the IM industry is still flourishing... and I'm glad that it is. But I see dark clouds on the horizon. There are significant problems with some CPAs, scamming affiliates, poor quality Clickbank products, etc. But, I think, the biggest problem for the industry may be the lack of fulfillment of the promise for the complete newbie.

    The wild claims of the ability to make a gazillion dollars in 10 minutes has to stop and complete product packages/services that will (eventually) make someone $500-$1,500 a month have got to come forth... if the industry is going to continue to market to absolute beginners.

    People are turning to us to make money because they are financially hurting ... and their condition is only going to get worse without us, or maybe with us (if we continue to provide what isn't working for them).

    We are entrepreneurs. We constitute a very small percentage of the world's population. As such, some of us in the IM world have a tendency to think that everyone who is looking for a way to earn money online wants to be able to quit their day job and live the (mythical) "get rich quick" IM lifestyle. I think that the vast majority of newbies just want a simple way to earn some additional money to keep them for going under financially... and they obviously are willing to pay for a way... again, and again, and again. But how long can this scenario last before there are enough complaints that the media and/or government begin an investigation of the allegations? Can an industry survive that sells products that 90+% of its customers don't know how to use?

    It's my opinion that the IM world's image will change for the better when product/service creators start providing realistic RESULTS. Oh, and as a side benefit for those who do... they'll make a fortune!

    That's my opinion... what's yours?

    Doc Reed
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3758953].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
      Originally Posted by DocReed View Post

      Interesting comments. Obviously, Putz is a Putz.

      However, I'm wondering if the generally low perception of the IM industry isn't, at least in part, due to the overall poor delivery on the promises made by some (most?) product creators and/or affiliates.
      Of course any low perception is due to that, but the same can be said about any niche. Many folks view investment firms as scam artists because of guys like Bernie Madolf. What about the diet industry? Aren't there crazy claims of magic pills out there? Health? Take this pill and live an extra 20 years.

      Every industry has their crazy claims. It doesn't change the fact that their are legitimate firms in all of the industries I mentioned above.

      By that I mean, many of the top names in the field say that 90+% of all people who buy products never used them to create a business. If that is true, it seems to me that IM gurus are failing the buying public.
      Really? Should we also blame school teachers for the overwhelming unemployment rate in the country?


      Can 90% of the people who were motivated enough to buy suddenly become unmotivated to act?
      YES! And probably more! How many fat people tell you that they are on a diet? How many of them are still fat a year later?


      I think not. I think that the marketing verbiage used to entice and sell has unsophisticated people believing that they really will get a "business in a box." People believe that all they will have to do is "click a few buttons" and the business will appear on their screen and begin making money.
      That may be the case with some unsophisticated people, but it might be the case with some very sophisticated people as well. People will not stop buying into bull****... whether it's from a politician, a witch doctor, or an unscrupulous IM guru.

      When they find out that they have to first: find and buy a domain name; find and buy hosting; transfer the DNS; find and upload WP; find and choose a theme; configure the theme; upload the "business in a box"; etc, etc... they are overwhelmed to the point of doing nothing because they don't know how to do these things and the product doesn't to it for them or even show them how to do it for themselves.
      I have never been overwhelmed to the point of doing nothing a day in my life. I may have ****ed up a time or two (or three or four), but I never stood idol crying because I didn't know where to start. That is the difference between somebody with an entrepreneurial spirit and somebody that wouldn't know an opportunity if it smacked them in the head.

      Unfortunately for these buyers, that product sits on their hard drives while they look at, and buy, the next "bright shinning object" in hopes that it will give them the promised complete-and-ready-business system.
      I always tell people that if you're not willing to work, then don't buy my products. That doesn't stop people that are not willing to work from buying my products. I stopped feeling bad for them a long time ago. I do my best to let people know that you have to work hard to be able to play hard. I can't force somebody to better their life. They have to want it.

      ...It's a wonder to me that the IM industry is still flourishing... and I'm glad that it is. But I see dark clouds on the horizon.

      ...People are turning to us to make money because they are financially hurting ... and their condition is only going to get worse without us, or maybe with us (if we continue to provide what isn't working for them).

      ...It's my opinion that the IM world's image will change for the better when product/service creators start providing realistic RESULTS. Oh, and as a side benefit for those who do... they'll make a fortune!

      That's my opinion... what's yours?

      Doc Reed
      If you teach money making skills for a living, then you will only be successful if those that you teach are becoming successful. You can't force the unmotivated to succeed, but those that are serious will find value in your courses, lessons, or products and they will come back for more. The "gurus" that do not experience this relationship with their clients will be in another career field soon enough.
      Signature

      Founder of JVZoo. All around good guy :)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761629].message }}

Trending Topics