What Has Recession Made You Cut Back On?

by The Niche Man 26 replies
Like everyone else the recession has made Internet Marketers cut back on some things. What I.M category have you cut back on or have you?

I've cut back on my Adwords testing.
#main internet marketing discussion forum #back #cut #made #recession
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Mrmuscle90
    Nothing really, petrol is a joke though! lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761038].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ryans
    I have also cut back on my ad purchases and have been focusing on m y landing pages and seo. Time is money and if im spending any money outsourcing my seo, i would rather spend money in that area then on ads.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761039].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
    I'm buying fewer islands these days.

    Yes, gas prices are annoying, aren't they?


    Ken
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    Eating out.

    Because the last thing you want to reduce during a recession is marketing and advertising costs, unless you are able to increase the bang for the buck using other marketing and advertising strategies.
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joymarino
    I didn't have a big budget to begin with, so I have not cut back on anything at all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761214].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author snakeplissken
    The recession encouraged me to invest in online problem-solving assistance websites/blogs. I did more adword testing and i found it very convenient, probably because there is less competition and the cost/experiment ratio decreases. Right now I have doubled my online presence and the prospects seem good, though it is too early to judge.
    One thing. It is my conviction that the last thing you need to do in a recession is to stop advertising. In fact, most people still have money but they are simply afraid to spend and that is what really brings in the small business CRISIS. Businesses have to be even more aggressive in recession and literally ATTACK consumers to take their money out of the wallet!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author uleesgold
    Banned
    Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

    Like everyone else the recession has made Internet Marketers cut back on some things. What I.M category have you cut back on or have you?

    I've cut back on my Adwords testing.
    Happiness.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761251].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
      Originally Posted by uleesgold View Post

      Happiness.
      Now why would you say that?

      The one thing you have the most control over... yes?


      Ken
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761349].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Chris Sorrell
        I am mainly cutting back on lamborghini's, man servants, white tigers, blonde russian women and beluga caviar. Times are hard.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761358].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author SocialMediaOwls
          Originally Posted by Chris Sorrell View Post

          I am mainly cutting back on lamborghini's, man servants, white tigers, blonde russian women and beluga caviar. Times are hard.
          All those and gifts for the wife. That was SERIOUSLY cutting in on my cash flow.
          Signature

          Get thousands of retweets on every tweet and drive traffic from twitter https://squareup.com/store/mycheapjobs-inc

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761903].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    this recession is awesome.

    Dummies out there keep crying about the economy.

    The aussie dollar is up...so It is cheaper for me to import stuff from the US.

    And advertising rates have gone down. My profits are up more than ever because of this. And I sell ebooks now in a niche that caters to struggling peopel in the recession win win situation.

    Dont be all droopy and think of the negatives. think of the postiives and where the strength is. No matter if the economy is good or bad there will always be supply and demand. You jump in the right niche then and you make more in a bad economy...because everyone else has given up.

    Not me, I have used this to my advantage.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761511].message }}
  • Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

    Like everyone else the recession has made Internet Marketers cut back on some things. What I.M category have you cut back on or have you?

    I've cut back on my Adwords testing.
    I've been spending and making more than ever.

    Recession? No thanks.
    Signature
    Get ALL the SEO software YOU CANT afford:
    Ultimate SEO Pack
    SENuke & Grscraper, and dozens more! $40 a month!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761861].message }}
    • Originally Posted by ExploringInfinity View Post

      I've been spending and making more than ever.

      Recession? No thanks.
      Exactly. Last year was my most productive yet. I think the ones getting hit the hardest are those who have only one source of income. I always have options available to me both on- and offline. If one slows down, I concentrate on the others for a bit.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3762017].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author myob
        I decided to cut back on buying stocks because the prices are way too high now.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3762040].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author art72
          Sleeping?

          Drinking?

          Fuel?

          Definitely fuel!...lol

          I refused to fuel my truck for less than $300 min. profit per day!

          After 20 years of performing contractual services building swimming pools, spa's, and custom waterfalls and earning 6 figures for nearly 20 years...I walked away from that business 1.5 years ago! (edit: nearly broke after years of committed hard work!)

          Last year took on a property maintenance live-in position (free rent, electric, wifi, cable tv), and a $10 per hour salary. *Big sacrifice from how I am used to living none-the-less!

          Tough transition, but I only work 40 hours, and usually can spend at least 10 hours of that time performing online research/studies, developing, and learning IM. After work, I put in another 40-50 hours (min.) online on average per week.

          My truck sits = $200 week in savings ...my computers fueled = $180 year hosting, and my wife and kids think I'm crazy for pursuing an internet marketing career-(priceless!):rolleyes:

          My take on this... 2 gallons of gasoline = 1 Domain. (asset accumulation)

          Honestly, I've never been happier, I wish the recession would've hit me sooner - it woke me up!

          Like celente stated above...this is where the wise strive! (A recreational re-creation of sort)

          Ultimately, I cut back on slavery! (My own)
          Signature
          Coming Soon... *Laser Targeted Lead Generation Services
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3762164].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chasnsx
    I'm putting off buying a second Mercedes. Seriously, no joke. Also dining out a lot less, and playing less golf (mainly because the time I spent playing golf is going into developing new business leads). As far as IM, no way I would cut back. Money spent on business development is always money well spent, and it is tax deductible. In hard times, good business people increase their marketing budget -- as long as the business is not losing money and the marketing expenditure generates a return.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3761999].message }}
  • Just because the country is in recession, doesnt mean I am. I am doing better now and in the past two years than I ever have thanks to internet marketing.

    I figure, someone has to spend money so every one else can get out of thier recessions. I might as well help.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3762016].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom E
    Jeez, this thread is a buzz kill! Whoever said that internet marketers have to be affected by the recession? I've earned more money in this recession than ever before in my IM career - and it wasn't even intentional.

    I just never paid (still don't) attention to the news, or what they say about the economy at large. Instead I focus on having fun and making money.

    If your mindset is "how can I make money online IN THIS RECESSION", I can guarantee you that you will be affected by the recession. The mind is a very powerful thing - be careful what you tell it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3762035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shireen
    Hi:

    Shireen here :-)

    I cut back on graphics outsourcing (try to look for cheaper designer)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3762409].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Motion
    I decided to go traveling (currently in Thailand) - I'd had enough of expensive prices in England.

    Just been out for a huge Pad Thai breakfast that cost me $1.50!

    Saving a fortune out here!
    Signature
    Living in SE Asia.. BKK.. PM me for a beer!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3762834].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ian Varnava
    Originally Posted by The Niche Man View Post

    Like everyone else the recession has made Internet Marketers cut back on some things. What I.M category have you cut back on or have you?

    I've cut back on my Adwords testing.
    Nothing really... thank God. In fact, I may have stepped somethings up a notch or two.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3762837].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Olson Mino
    Personally … Nothing really….as long as I make hit my target each month there is no reason to cut back on anything ;p
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3762990].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TG12
      I'm glad other people have said that. Recession, What recession! People i.e The Masses are told that there is a recession and they believe it. They moan about it because that's all they know how to do.
      Signature
      Vaoser Link Ninja Software
      DHV Delivery Systems FAILING at online dating???
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3763068].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Rogers
    The recession hasn't hurt my income, however I have noticed some interesting ways it impacts my life. My wife shows horses at class A breed shows. Since it is an expensive hobby, the number of shows has dropped off as well as the number of participants. Significantly. Big trucks pulling horse trailers are expensive to drive as well, so I'm guessing with gas at $4 a gallon that her next show will be even smaller. Want a horse, a truck and a trailer? It's a buyer's market.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3763796].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Douglas
    The recession has made me cut back on procrastination. Still some work left to do though lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3763832].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics