Why all GURUS will Trick You?!

by enderZ
39 replies
I'd like to talk about the "real gurus" and not the scammers (I think scammers got enough attention ).

Real gurus for me are those veterans that are actually doing what they claim they are doing (500$/day from adsense/affiliate sales kind of claims).

So, you see a thread title stating: "Learn how I earn 950$/day from amazon", you enter the thread and there you see a very generous post describing a step-by-step blueprint how in 1-6 months you can make more then 900$ daily.

Are there real people really doing that kind of money?
YES.

Are there real people making that kind of money and revealing their blueprint?
YES.

If I/you will follow their blueprint, are we going to do the same kind of money? Half? Quarter? Tenth?
NOP.

Why is that?
Because I can't cook

I can't cook, and few yeats back I wanted to surprise my wife for her birthday with this glorious cake.I called my mother and asked her to guide me through the phone helping me to make the cake.

Although my mom virtually held my hand through the phone and told me EXACTLY what to do eventually the cake was "just ok", when my moms make it, its devine!

How come? Did my mom misguided me?
In some way she did. When she is cooking she is doing lots of small decisions she is not aware of. In addition I guess that I misinterpreted some of her instructions without even noticing it. In addition I guess that my kitchen and materials are a bit different from what she is using. All of it sums up to "an ok cake".

In a business, specially in an online business you can't have "an ok cake", and a system that worked wonderful for that guru will fail you, cause guru is doing tons of very small and minor things you are not, things he will not mention cause he can't - he doesn't know he does those things.

To be an IM or an online enterpenuer means mainly to invent yourself, you can't be like others, those 99% that fail are those that are doing what every one else is doing.

Now, don't get me wrong, here is a template that if you will follow you'll get rich in few months:
1. Do a keyword research and find low competitive keywords with lots of traffic in a very high paying niche
2. Create a site around those keyword
3. SEO it
4. Monetize it.

I guarantee you that there are many that are making a killing from the above "blueprint", but they are differ in the HOW they are doing it. You need to find the how.

Use gurus, listen to them, get inspired by them, but don't follow them.

There is a book called: "If You Meet The Buddha On The Road, Kill Him". I'm not totally into this book, but I honestly believe that if you find yourself following some Gurus step-by-step "how to succeed" plan/bluepring slap yourself, cause you are doing something wrong.

Should you listen to me?
Sure, after all I'm not a guru
#affiliate #business #gurus #marketing #trick
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    I like your post.

    It's the same reason that I don't sell products showing how I make my money - I don't believe the right answer for me is the right answer for others. We should each find our own path rather than trying to walk in the footsteps of others.

    Sure - model success but don't copy someone else's path or you end up where they wanted to go not where you want to go.
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3769948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WinstonT
    Yeahh....

    I understand your plight, and I'm really, really sick of all those people out there conning people with low quality products. It's like... selling plastic bags that looked like plastic tents.

    But you know, it concerns their livelihood. If they leak out their secrets, they lose their competitive edge. Often you'll have to learn it the hard way because of this.

    I also want to input that some blueprints do not give you all the information you need. For example, they might just say, find a profitable niche. And the average IMer would be stunned at that, and start hopping into unprofitable niches, making mistakes a load of the way.

    I'd say that IMing requires a goal, and you'll have to set it right at the start, even before you start Market Research. Adsense, then stick to it. Your goal? Get people to click ads. How? Make them relevant, make traffic huge, make audience targetted. And then you do the normal stuff, articles, backlinking etc.

    But the really funny thing is that a lot of IMers end up spending so much time in front of the computer they may forget that their visitors are human beings who have "short attention spans", "like entertainment", "have emotional needs", and that's where the money leaks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3769991].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robert Brauer
    YES, all gurus are in it for the money...

    BUT, most know that if they don't give you incredible value, they will ruin their credibility and ultimately you will ask for a refund.

    The smartest marketers know that they should treat their customers like gold!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3770028].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author enderZ
      Originally Posted by prophetmktg View Post

      YES, all gurus are in it for the money...

      BUT, most know that if they don't give you incredible value, they will ruin their credibility and ultimately you will ask for a refund.

      The smartest marketers know that they should treat their customers like gold!!
      I wasn't even talking about that, even if theoretically there is an altruistic Guru that gives you all his knowledge for free, you are still bound to fail if you'll follow exactly what he is doing.

      If you add on top of it all the so-called Gurus than the trouble is much more the doubled
      Signature

      If you have a WHY you can go through almost any HOW

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3771061].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J R Salem
    If you notice, the Guru's that really make money take their WSOs seriously. There are guys who throw something up and make big $$$.

    But the guys who do this day in and day out have one thing in common: THEY OVERDELIVER.

    If you overdeliver you never have to worry about people questioning your integrity and motives. By overdelivering you have proven you are willing to give a lot more than you have received. This builds credibility and keeps people craving more.

    Remember -- when in doubt, OVERDELIVER. This solves 90% of product problems and refunds.

    No more, "I've seen this before."

    Instead, "This isn't groundbreaking but the way it is presented, and with all the bonuses, its definitely worth $17!"

    Just take notice around you, and you'll see what I mean...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3771103].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author enderZ
      Originally Posted by Jeremy S View Post

      If you notice, the Guru's that really make money take their WSOs seriously. There are guys who throw something up and make big $$$.

      But the guys who do this day in and day out have one thing in common: THEY OVERDELIVER.

      If you overdeliver you never have to worry about people questioning your integrity and motives. By overdelivering you have proven you are willing to give a lot more than you have received. This builds credibility and keeps people craving more.

      Remember -- when in doubt, OVERDELIVER. This solves 90% of product problems and refunds.

      No more, "I've seen this before."

      Instead, "This isn't groundbreaking but the way it is presented, and with all the bonuses, its definitely worth $17!"

      Just take notice around you, and you'll see what I mean...
      Did you even bother to read my post???
      Signature

      If you have a WHY you can go through almost any HOW

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3771160].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author J R Salem
        Originally Posted by Istvan Horvath View Post

        You guys replied only to the thread title -without reading the OP
        No, I stated my opinion on the topic. I never respond without reading a post. What sense would that make?

        Originally Posted by enderZ View Post

        Did you even bother to read my post???
        Yes, three times now.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3772095].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author quickregister
          You are right and you are wrong. Yes, you might not be able to duplicate someone else's success exactly because their DNA is different. I really agree with you there. But sometimes you can just find one idea out of the blueprint that clicks for you and you can make it your own with your DNA. Sometimes these methods can be catalysts for your own variation on the theme.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3772900].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
            Originally Posted by quickregister View Post

            You are right and you are wrong. Yes, you might not be able to duplicate someone else's success exactly because their DNA is different. I really agree with you there. But sometimes you can just find one idea out of the blueprint that clicks for you and you can make it your own with your DNA. Sometimes these methods can be catalysts for your own variation on the theme.
            I would encourage you to go back and re-read this OP because that is exactly what he is saying. He doesn't say "DON'T READ WHAT THE GURU'S PUT OUT..." he's just saying not to follow them exactly. Add your own flavor.

            In his example if he would have just read the instructions on the back of a cake box and added his own special touch (whatever that maybe) the cake may not have turned out being so-so... Instead he followed exactly what he was told to do and it was (in his words) less than divine!
            Signature
            You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3772959].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shulink
    Hey, good post. However, I only agree to half of it. In fact, the 4 steps that you stated are the only steps you need to be able to make money online. But many will still failed to do so, and I will explain the main reason in a minute.
    The reason I only agree to half of your point is some gurus reveal a method that makes them money but they didn't tell you how long and how hard they work on it to achieve it. The people who follow the same method either didn't try hard enough or give up too early. For example, SEO takes long time to see results and it takes effort to constantly adding fresh and unique content to your site. Many newbies spend a month and if they don't see result, they move on to the next method, let's say twitter. They then read another thread by another guru on how they make money with twitter, then again they tried it and didn't work out, then they move on and so on. In my opinion, the main reason why internet marketing failed for many people is because they don't work hard enough or they are constantly looking for new secrets of making money online and therefore spend way too much time downloading or buying ebooks and reading. I'm not saying learning is bad, but one should spend more time on action. After all, there is really no secret in making money online, the 4 steps that you posted is all you need to get started.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3771316].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
      Originally Posted by WinstonT View Post

      Yeahh....
      Originally Posted by Jeremy S View Post

      If you notice, the Guru's
      Originally Posted by shulink View Post

      Hey, good post.
      You guys replied only to the thread title -without reading the OP
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3771732].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author enderZ
        Originally Posted by Istvan Horvath View Post

        You guys replied only to the thread title -without reading the OP
        Yeap, and that is a different problem that goes under misinterpretations/laziness

        Originally Posted by BloggingPro View Post

        I would encourage you to go back and re-read this OP because that is exactly what he is saying. He doesn't say "DON'T READ WHAT THE GURU'S PUT OUT..." he's just saying not to follow them exactly. Add your own flavor.

        In his example if he would have just read the instructions on the back of a cake box and added his own special touch (whatever that maybe) the cake may not have turned out being so-so... Instead he followed exactly what he was told to do and it was (in his words) less than divine!
        Exactly.
        Signature

        If you have a WHY you can go through almost any HOW

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774090].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
          Michelle,
          I was about ready to blast you based on your subject line, but was pleasantly surprised by your post.
          [chuckle] Me too.

          I opened this expecting to delete the thing. Instead, I saw the first decent summary here in ages about why a lot of people fail when using legitimate systems. And without bashing anyone involved in the process, seller or buyer.

          This is where experience and testing come in. It's why some people can succeed with almost no effort, and others fail despite putting in every tip and tactic they've been taught. And it's the secret behind the notion that you have to fail a lot in order to succeed. That's not always true, but when it is, it's because you're still learning those little things that come with experience.


          Paul
          Signature
          .
          Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774122].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author enderZ
            Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post


            That's not always true, but when it is, it's because you're still learning those little things that come with experience.


            Paul
            Yeap.

            To be a good dancer you need to know your steps, but you must be a skilled dancer to perform well.

            My definition for skill is:
            The ability to naturally integrate in the proper manner all "those big/little things" into a course of action.

            Gurus can teach us the steps, but in order to transform it into a skill the road might be long.

            Actually, I missed in my OP to write this:

            I wanted to tell all those that are trying this method or the other and failing that in many cases its not their fault, the gurus fault or the method fault. Its just that they need the time and effort to become skilled.
            Signature

            If you have a WHY you can go through almost any HOW

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774261].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Shaun OReilly
              There's a difference between someone achieving a result
              for themself, and then being able to communicate what
              they do to someone else so they can even approach a
              similar result.

              There's an interesting book called "The Extra One Per Cent"
              by Rob Yeung who is a psychologist on achievement.

              Amazon.com: Extra One Per Cent (9780330514545):...Amazon.com: Extra One Per Cent (9780330514545):... (no affil.)

              Interestingly, in that book he says that "superstar performers
              can rarely articulate what they do in enough detail to help
              other people follow in their footsteps."


              That said, you need to consider the starting point, knowledge,
              skills and talents of the person who is learning too.

              Like your the recipe example, I've got the guitar tab for all
              of the Jimi Hendrix songs that give every note and every
              bend I need to make. But in over 28 years of playing guitar,
              it ain't got me to a Hendrix-level yet!

              Dedicated to mutual success,

              Shaun
              Signature

              .

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774343].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author quickregister
                So true. Most great coaches are not superstar performers. They are different skills. The Miami Dolphins had hired a kicking coach who was a paraplegic. He had never kicked a ball in his life but he knew how to teach others.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774423].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Shaun OReilly
                  Originally Posted by quickregister View Post

                  So true. Most great coaches are not superstar performers. They are different skills. The Miami Dolphins had hired a kicking coach who was a paraplegic. He had never kicked a ball in his life but he knew how to teach others.
                  Thanks for the anecdote of the kicking coach.

                  After some searching on Google I found out it was a
                  guy by the name of Doug Blevins.

                  Here's an inspirational video interview with the guy:


                  Interestingly, around 6-minutes into the video, he says
                  that his key is being able to adapt his style to suit the
                  learner.

                  He also mentioned that he's seen a lot of good kickers who
                  couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag.

                  Dedicated to mutual success,

                  Shaun
                  Signature

                  .

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774709].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
                    Originally Posted by Shaun OReilly View Post

                    Here's an inspirational video interview with the guy:

                    YouTube - Doug Blevins - Bryant Gumbel's Real Sports.wmv

                    Shaun
                    Thanks Shaun for posting this. This is a perfect example of that you can achieve anything you want in life and if you don't the only person you have to blame is yourself!
                    Signature
                    You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3780030].message }}
  • I so much agree with this. some times you want to teach people but they just don't get it. some times you want to learn but you just cant learn it. along the way you/they miss bits of the jigsaw. we all live in parallel universes!
    Signature

    Disclosure: I am not making money on line yet...soon though!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3771336].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarah S
    Originally Posted by enderZ View Post


    When she is cooking she is doing lots of small decisions she is not aware of. In addition I guess that I misinterpreted some of her instructions without even noticing it.

    Guru is doing tons of very small and minor things you are not, things he will not mention cause he can't - he doesn't know he does those things.

    To be an IM or an online enterpenuer means mainly to invent yourself, you can't be like others, those 99% that fail are those that are doing what every one else is doing.
    Hmm, very interesting! I think you're definitely onto something when you talk about gurus and marketers making small decisions that they're not even aware of, and not addressing them because it doesn't even occur to them that they're doing it. (The cooking analogy was a good way to explain this, by the way!) An experienced marketer will likely have a better sense of judgment in certain circumstances, whereas a newbie will lack the knowledge that the guru does. This can inevitably lead to frustration, because you can follow a plan by the book and still not get the promised results.

    However, I wouldn't personally call this "Why all GURUS will Trick You?!", because what you're saying isn't really "tricking" anyone. Tricking someone implies purposefully withholding information, or providing false information with the intent to deceive. (Of course, there are also those gurus who DO make a point of being deceitful for one reason or another.)

    In the end, I think you're mostly right about having to invent yourself and come up with your own plan of action that works for you. I don't think there's anything wrong in a newbie following someone else's blueprint to start off with either, though. Everyone needs to start somewhere, learn something, take the good, and leave the bad. So essentially, you might have to settle for just "OK cake" while you're learning, but if you ever want to make really spectacular cake like Mom does, then you're eventually going to have to come up with your own special "recipe" based on what you've learned and tried.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3771411].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    somtimes you gotta pay the guy that failed so you do not make the same mistakes he did.

    That is what I have learnt to do, and have no problems folking out the big bucks.

    Just make sure you do your homework first...to make sure they are legit, that is pretty easy to do these days.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3771520].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bonk12
    You make an interesting point, however it is also important to look at whether or not you have the skills to make money online.

    For example, Micheal Jordan is great at basketball, but if you never gave him the ball to begin with, he would not be good at the sport.

    The same idea applies to Internet marketing, If you happen to stumble upon the trade while your online one day and start working at it, it could turn out that you are great at Internet Marketing and all you needed was someone to throw you that ball to let you figure out.

    Also, a lot people are good at something because they enjoy it, I can make a living Internet Marketing because I enjoy my work, and I continue to work at it every day. Some people just don't find that passion and think this is something they can work on in their spare time, when in fact that is just impossible.
    Signature

    Steven Patterson - Affiliate Marketer & Entrepreneur

    Look out for "The Power of In-Store Marketing" in the WSO section COMING SOON!!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3771781].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Gordon
    Good post. I somewhat agree. I don't think we should follow the exact steps that guru's take, but we should follow the main idea of the method and combine that with our knowledge to create a great method that works for us. About a year ago, I was purchasing products and follow all steps like the eBook/software said and had no success. Now however, I tend to follow the main idea and simply learn from the method, not to follow the exact footprints. I am a very experienced internet marketer and what I can say is; if a person looks serious about their products, provides support and knows what they're talking about then you should purchase the product just to get an idea of what they're doing to make money and then incorporate that idea with your methods to make them even better !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3771841].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nightengale
      Man, I was about ready to blast you based on your subject line, but was pleasantly surprised by your post.

      There's a lot of guru bashing here and it really gets tiresome. Sure, there are a lot of people who don't deliver what they promised. But in my years studying IM, I've learned to avoid most of it and rarely get taken anymore. I've chosen to focus, instead, on just a small group of mentors and have pretty much closed my eyes to everyone else.

      I've chosen high-level mentors, some of whom I've paid thousands of dollars to. And it was worth every cent. I chose them both for their expertise AND their integrity. They really care about their clients (their business and reputations depend on it) and yes, they overdeliver. (How I've come to HATE that term! It's just way overused here.)

      I truly understand how discouraging it is to purchase things that don't deliver what they promised. But if you've been studying IM for a while, I think a large part of the responsibility is on YOUR shoulders.

      Instead of jumping from one $17 e-book to the next, buy at least one, comprehensive IM course -- one that gives you a complete system, not just tactics. Find at least one mentor you resonate with and follow them.

      Then shut everything else out and FOCUS: Follow One Course Until Successful.

      I've been privileged to learn from some of the finest ladies in the business. They are high-level, super-successful ladies I really admire and respect. Their combined business acumen is astounding. I want to be like them when I grow up. (No, they're not part of the usual, incestuous IM cartel.) So to hear to Warriors bashing "gurus" really irritates me.

      My favorite IM mentors:

      1. Sheri McConnell
      2. Alexandria Brown
      3. Carrie Wilkerson

      Some of the finest ladies ANYWHERE. They DO NOT "trick" their clients! (And there you are: my best recommendation for IM mentors!)

      Legitimate "gurus" are knowledgeable, experienced and successful people in their field, nothing more. If you're new to IM, make it your goal to educate yourself as quickly as possible to spot the genuine article from the pretenders. If you're not new to IM but are still getting taken, maybe it's time to step back and take charge.

      FOCUS on ONE niche and business model, choose ONE mentor (that you KNOW is knowledgeable and trustworthy in their field), buy/borrow/steal ONE comprehensive IM course. (The extra $$$ you spend buying a complete course will save you a lot of time and $$$$ in the long run if you're still jumping from one e-book to another, one tactic to another.)

      Then put your head down and get to work! Ignore everything else until you're making money in your chosen niche/business model. The right mentor will pay for themselves many times over.

      I love the WF, but I think Warriors can be just BRUTAL in their criticism sometimes -- and often, it's really not justified. If you're not sure what mentor or course to choose, ask! There are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable Warriors here and we'll be glad to point you in the right direction. Other than the occassional venting session, bashing gurus is a waste of time and energy. YOUR precious time. YOUR precious energy.

      It's not easy to do, but the best, most productive thing you can do is 1) become much more selective about who you buy from/listen to and 2) move on.

      Hope this helps!

      Michelle
      Signature
      "You can't market here. This is a marketing discussion forum!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3772048].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author William King
    This is the basic point that we all are not living under same conditions and circumstances and all of us differs in the skills we have. So may the thing which is working for other may not work for me. I really appreciate your post which is not an expert one but making me to think in terms of common sense.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774204].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gene Pimentel
    Great post and analogy enderZ. The same holds true for someone learning a new job skill. You may be trained by a very skilled professional, but your results will not be nearly as good as your trainer's until you perform the tasks many times over the course of your career. YOU then pick up and develop all the subtle nuances required, as you gain experience.

    In many cases, it's NOT a matter of the guru trying to "trick" you. It's a matter of you applying all the things you're taught, and repeating the strategies until you gain your own experience over time. You should never expect to replicate the results of an expert the first time you attempt at doing anything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774296].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author enderZ
      Originally Posted by Gene Pimentel View Post

      In many cases, it's NOT a matter of the guru trying to "trick" you.

      I saw some have problem that I used the word "trick", but I didn't choose it randomly.

      I think Gurus trick us all, but I never said they are trying to do so. When I read some simple instructions (and sometimes mind blowing) that supposed to make me $$$/day and I fail then I was tricked. Tricked to believe it is that easy, tricked to believe it is that fast, tricked to think I got it, etc.

      Is that me tricking myself? Is that the guru? The method? My inner desires?
      All the above.

      But, it doesn't matter, there is a trick here, and (at least for me) the way around it was/is to think "wow thats a brilliant way to make money, all I need now is to have enough skill to make it happen".
      Signature

      If you have a WHY you can go through almost any HOW

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774524].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author James Clark
        To the OP,

        First, Its one thing to be good at marketing and its another to help someone else. I can tell you this. The one thing that I'm really good at is taking care of myself.

        I'm not suggesting that I could teach someone else my skills. Whatever the case, I would not insert all of them in the same box. If you want to call someone out then maybe that is not a good idea.

        If you purchased something and it didn't work out for you, just chalk it to experience and move on.

        The bottom line is this: "It ain't how but how many"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774697].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
        Really loved your post, and yes, I was also expecting to have to report it.
        Thank you for the pleasant surprise.

        As Paul said, you've pretty much summed up why people fail when trying to
        follow a system.

        Let me tell you a story that has nothing to do with IM or making money online
        but it totally related.

        I've been writing songs for over 30 years. I was trained by systems. I learned
        music theory and chord progressions and all that neat stuff. I had all the
        technical skills to be able to write a hit song.

        In 30 plus years, I haven't.

        Why?

        The reasons why are numerous to say the least.

        1. I have limited talent. No system in the world is going to turn you into
        a Paul Williams or a Diane Warren. Without real talent, your songs are only
        going to be so good.

        2. While I have the technical instruction required to put together a "hit"
        song, I still have to continuously write in order to figure out the best way
        to use that instruction. Songwriting isn't a one size fits all. There are many
        types of songs and song structures. Not every writer is great at every
        structure.

        Look at Bob Dylan. He turned the AAA format into an art form. Not many
        people can pull off AAA because after a while it gets monotonous. Dylan
        wrote 6, 7, 8 and even 9 minute songs using this format and his songs
        were anything but boring. So you have to find your niche.

        3. The competition. No matter how good YOU are, there are other people
        out there just as good or better. You don't compete in a bubble. So even
        if you DO have a killer system, somebody else using that system may just
        be better at it than you are, thus taking your opportunities away from you.

        In my case, if there were no great songwriters out there, maybe by now I
        would be good enough to have a hit song. But there are great songwriters...
        many of them. So the competition is a factor. There is only so much demand.
        If the supply is greater than the demand, some of that supply gets lost in
        the sauce...no matter how great your system is for getting YOUR supply
        out there.

        4. Timing and Placing. Timing is everything in any business. As a songwriter,
        you may either be writing songs that are outdated or so far ahead of their
        time that people aren't ready for them yet. I've been told many times that
        my songs sound like they're from the 60s. Of course they do. I grew up in
        the 60s and was heavily influenced by them. It's hard for me to write like
        today's music because I don't think like today's music.

        Dr. John came out with a song, "Right Place...Wrong Time".

        Man, is it ever so true.

        The above only scratches the surface in regard to the variables involved
        in having a hit song or running any kind of profitable business.

        Personally, I have yet to find an "out of the box" solution that is 100%
        perfect out of the box for every single person simply because of these
        variables.

        The key to using any system is to first understand it. Then adapt it to your
        own situation, strengths and weaknesses.

        Sure I learn from other people. I learn from Paul Myers all the time. But I
        don't try to write like Paul Myers when I use one of his tactics because I
        can't. It's not me. And if I try, it will come out contrived and won't ring
        true with my readers.

        You have to be yourself. And because we are all individuals, no system can
        be tailored made for every person. It's virtually impossible.

        So learn from the systems, but don't take them as the be all and end all
        because if you do, 9 times out of 10, you're going to end up being very
        disappointed in the results that you get.

        My 2 cents on the subject for whatever they're worth.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774828].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author enderZ
          So true!

          We are lucky though that we don't have to write "hits" to succeed.

          The thing is that for some strange reason so many IM methods seem simple. It looks like anyone can do it 5 minutes after reading the "current instruction guide".

          Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

          Really loved your post, and yes, I was also expecting to have to report it.
          Thank you for the pleasant surprise.

          As Paul said, you've pretty much summed up why people fail when trying to
          follow a system.

          Let me tell you a story that has nothing to do with IM or making money online
          but it totally related.

          I've been writing songs for over 30 years. I was trained by systems. I learned
          music theory and chord progressions and all that neat stuff. I had all the
          technical skills to be able to write a hit song.

          In 30 plus years, I haven't.

          Why?

          The reasons why are numerous to say the least.

          1. I have limited talent. No system in the world is going to turn you into
          a Paul Williams or a Diane Warren. Without real talent, your songs are only
          going to be so good.

          2. While I have the technical instruction required to put together a "hit"
          song, I still have to continuously write in order to figure out the best way
          to use that instruction. Songwriting isn't a one size fits all. There are many
          types of songs and song structures. Not every writer is great at every
          structure.

          Look at Bob Dylan. He turned the AAA format into an art form. Not many
          people can pull off AAA because after a while it gets monotonous. Dylan
          wrote 6, 7, 8 and even 9 minute songs using this format and his songs
          were anything but boring. So you have to find your niche.

          3. The competition. No matter how good YOU are, there are other people
          out there just as good or better. You don't compete in a bubble. So even
          if you DO have a killer system, somebody else using that system may just
          be better at it than you are, thus taking your opportunities away from you.

          In my case, if there were no great songwriters out there, maybe by now I
          would be good enough to have a hit song. But there are great songwriters...
          many of them. So the competition is a factor. There is only so much demand.
          If the supply is greater than the demand, some of that supply gets lost in
          the sauce...no matter how great your system is for getting YOUR supply
          out there.

          4. Timing and Placing. Timing is everything in any business. As a songwriter,
          you may either be writing songs that are outdated or so far ahead of their
          time that people aren't ready for them yet. I've been told many times that
          my songs sound like they're from the 60s. Of course they do. I grew up in
          the 60s and was heavily influenced by them. It's hard for me to write like
          today's music because I don't think like today's music.

          Dr. John came out with a song, "Right Place...Wrong Time".

          Man, is it ever so true.

          The above only scratches the surface in regard to the variables involved
          in having a hit song or running any kind of profitable business.

          Personally, I have yet to find an "out of the box" solution that is 100%
          perfect out of the box for every single person simply because of these
          variables.

          The key to using any system is to first understand it. Then adapt it to your
          own situation, strengths and weaknesses.

          Sure I learn from other people. I learn from Paul Myers all the time. But I
          don't try to write like Paul Myers when I use one of his tactics because I
          can't. It's not me. And if I try, it will come out contrived and won't ring
          true with my readers.

          You have to be yourself. And because we are all individuals, no system can
          be tailored made for every person. It's virtually impossible.

          So learn from the systems, but don't take them as the be all and end all
          because if you do, 9 times out of 10, you're going to end up being very
          disappointed in the results that you get.

          My 2 cents on the subject for whatever they're worth.
          Signature

          If you have a WHY you can go through almost any HOW

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774883].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dadamson
    This is another reason why 'gurus' aren't good teachers.

    Gurus make money, teachers teach.

    It is often hard to find someone with both talents.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774471].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author enderZ
      Originally Posted by Ryan Kole View Post

      Whenever somebody has a financial interest in you, don't trust him!
      So, I shouldn't trust my physician? banker? psychology? teenage kid (if I had one ) ?

      I won't trust only those who earned it, I will suspect those who its in their interest to deceive me.
      Signature

      If you have a WHY you can go through almost any HOW

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3801436].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author damongreene
    Very true! You follow best practices and a blueprint, then you make it your own. Unless you are in the exact niche as the "GURU" was there are too many factors to weigh success. Take what you learn and apply it, learn what works and doesnt and make it your own. Build YOUR OWN blueprint from what you have learned.

    SCREW the guru mentallity... EDUCATE yourself, regardless of who it is from. Get good information and most importantly... GET OFF YOUR ASS AND APPLY IT!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774671].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SandyDuPlessis
      A thought provoking post.

      It also reminds me of why I spend part of my time trying to learn more and part of my time experimenting with the things I have learned.

      Many years ago, I used to teach pattern drafting, dress design and sewing technique (all self taught from the age of about 12). Many of my students used to make what they thought of as disastrous mistakes, but I was able, due to my own experiences and disasters, to show them how they could turn their errors into successes and call them "designer details".

      As an older person, I have learned that it takes time, experience and determination to become successful and that it is important to be wide eyed and observant about what you are doing at all times, after all you do not want to flog a dead horse either.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3774798].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jiantastic
    to OP
    "To be an IM or an online enterpenuer means mainly to invent yourself, you can't be like others, those 99% that fail are those that are doing what every one else is doing."

    I couldn't have said it myself. I don't try to teach people exact methods. Instead I tell everyone I coach to invent their own. Everyone is indeed unique in their own way. A person who loves to cook should follow their cooking passion and now go write reviews on amazon products, just as a person who loves design web graphics should not deviate what is working for them to take a stab at "SEO" work.

    Personally - I don't do SEO work, I don't want to learn it, and I probably won't ever do it. why? because I like to focus on what I do best - getting clients day in and day out. I will just pay someone else to do the work and not break my head over it. Also I've just created a job by doing so.

    so stop believing so much hype. Learn from the WSOs and act in it as part of what you already do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3780062].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author enderZ
      Originally Posted by jiantastic View Post


      Personally - I don't do SEO work, I don't want to learn it, and I probably won't ever do it.
      SEO/PPC/content writing etc are just tools, unfortunately we (specially guys ) love tools, we love them so much we forget they are just tools.

      It is hard (specially for me) to stop doing things just cause I can do them and instead focusing on the things I do/love best.
      Signature

      If you have a WHY you can go through almost any HOW

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3780747].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kyubei
    There are definitely some real solid Gurus out there
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3780080].message }}

Trending Topics