JELLO Temptations Commercials - Worst Marketing Ever!

40 replies
I absolutely can't stand the Jello Temptations commercials where the scary moms and dads threatens their kids for taking Jello. In one the mom threatens to drop the little girl in a deep dark hole with snakes and a bogeyman.

What were these marketers thinking?

A lot of people are complaining about it. And it certainly is bringing attention to the brand albeit negative attention.

What are your thoughts on it?
#commercials #jello #marketing #temptations #worst
  • Profile picture of the author WebRank1
    Haven't seen it, could you link to a Youtube clip of the advert you are referring to?

    Thanks!
    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3783412].message }}
  • I havent seen it, but the packaging looks so good in the store that I bought some. They are horrible. My kids will not even eat them.

    There is probably lesson there for ebook cover graphics, but I am too tired to analyze it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3783547].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebRank1
    Well I have to say, they clearly state that their intended market is adults.
    I think they do a great job, with the 'funny' hook. It is not overly funny but would appeal to almost any parent that has kids that 'steal' something.

    As you can clearly see and as Charles states, the packaging looks great and luxurious. I am not surprised they are targeting adults (and thus most likely parents).

    All in all I have to say that I like the commercial, maybe a wee bit controversial. And definitely the wrong way to go if they would be after children.
    But since they are after adults, I think it is good.

    My 2cents.

    Mark
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3783716].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author danej
      I think it is a good angle for marketing to adults, also. The ads are not geared towards children, which is probably why you bring it up.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3783775].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LilBlackDress
      I dont like the ad above but that is not the one I am referring to. For some reason I can't find the bogeyman Temptations ad posted online.

      But in the ad, a woman with a very serious expression stares are her child and threatens her with 100 years in a deep dark hole and a bogeyman.
      Signature

      Pen Name + 8 eBooks + social media sites 4 SALE - PM me (evergreen beauty niche)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3783803].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JoniWBeadle
    What were they thinking? They weren't! I agree...really bad marketing. If you're going to use "fear" to motivate the target audience, they really fell short of their goal...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3783872].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author VijayNadaGuru
      Originally Posted by JoniWBeadle View Post

      What were they thinking? They weren't! I agree...really bad marketing. If you're going to use "fear" to motivate the target audience, they really fell short of their goal...
      Fear when correctly used can be a great way of increasing sales. Take a look at Robert Cialdini's website and under Podcasts listen to Podcast 2 titled, 'What can you gain from loss' where he explains how fear can be used to influence people.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3784174].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WebRank1
      Originally Posted by JoniWBeadle View Post

      What were they thinking? They weren't! I agree...really bad marketing. If you're going to use "fear" to motivate the target audience, they really fell short of their goal...
      They are not using fear to motivate their target audience at all. It is not kids they target.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3784188].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnATX
    That was more advertising their product than trying to market it. I thought the commercial was funny but it's kind of saying that tricking / scaring your kids to get what you want is ok. What you buy and keep in the fridge or pantry is fair game for the kids!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3784289].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin Williams
    Most big advertising companies don't have a clue what they're doing anyway.

    I don't see how anyone could watch these commercials and want the product though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3784331].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webpromotions
      Originally Posted by Kevin Williams View Post

      Most big advertising companies don't have a clue what they're doing anyway.
      I think this is where I'm supposed to say "irony, how does it work?"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3791832].message }}
  • Obviously, the makers of the commercial are assuming that people won't take it seriously. But, as usually happens, some people believe there are topics too 'serious' to laugh at, and wind up over-analyzing it.

    You can bet that before this commercial was aired, they did quite a bit of testing on it to check it's effectiveness.

    Personally, I'm sick to death of seeing commercials with the good-looking, smart, multi-tasking mom always in control, while the stereotypical stupid, lazy, 'zoning in front of the tv with his hands down his pants' dad gets made to look to useless. But why do these sell? Because those products are geared toward women.

    It's called comedy. Either you get it, or you don't.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3784473].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cweber
    Honestly, I really like that commercial and I think they did a great job on it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3784926].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ahnalia
    I thought it was kind of a cute commercial, but had to see it a few times on TV before I "got" it. After it sunk in what the commercial was about, I did giggle a little.. but only just a little
    Signature

    One Stop Shopping for all your outsourcing needs!
    http://worryfreeoutsourcing.com

    Handy Tips to help your online business succeed!
    http://online-business-tips.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3784950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmandaT
    I saw the one where they leave the boy at the train station in his pajamas with a suitcase. My sister's eyes teared up because she thought mom was going to send her away like the kid on tv. ._.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3784967].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    It obviously is an amzing marketing campaign.

    My guess is that's even more effective than they had hoped.

    Why?

    Well, this IS a marketing forum, isn't it obvious?

    Any guesses?

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3785021].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LilBlackDress
      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      It obviously is an amzing marketing campaign.

      My guess is that's even more effective than they had hoped.

      Why?

      Well, this IS a marketing forum, isn't it obvious?

      Any guesses?

      All the best,
      Michael
      Sure the ads bring attention to the product. But is it the right kind of attention? They are alienating a lot of people.

      I can see from their Facebook they have upset a lot of people and many say they are boycotting Kraft foods and writing complaints to TV stations airing the ads.

      This was the first time I have watched an ad, that made me send an email to the company to complain.

      So they got my attention. But they did not get me to buy Jello Temptations. In fact the tasteless ads makes me question buying Kraft foods altogether.

      And isn't the sale the goal?
      Signature

      Pen Name + 8 eBooks + social media sites 4 SALE - PM me (evergreen beauty niche)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3785195].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
        Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post

        Sure the ads bring attention to the product. But is it the right kind of attention? They are alienating a lot of people.

        I can see from their Facebook they have upset a lot of people and many say they are boycotting Kraft foods and writing complaints to TV stations airing the ads.

        This was the first time I have watched an ad, that made me send an email to the company to complain.

        So they got my attention. But they did not get me to buy Jello Temptations. In fact the tasteless ads makes me question buying Kraft foods altogether.

        And isn't the sale the goal?
        You are close to what I'm getting at, but not quite.

        What proves the effectiveness isn't the attention, but rather the CONVERSATION.

        How many more people are checking out the commercial on YouTube, Facebook or other sources? People that may not even watch TV.

        Out of those people, most probably won't have a reaction one way or another, but Jell-O will have made another branding impression. Some will be offended and promise to never by Jell-O products again. Some will find the commercial cute OR will think the product looks like it's worth trying.

        How many people in this thread never saw the commercial, but have now?

        Another point. The people who are the most vocal about the commercial are the ones who don't like it. There's nothing wrong with expressing one's viewpoint, but the problem is that it can create the illusion that more people are upset than really are.

        I don't care one way or the other. I think the commercial is just dumb, but not good or bad. But I haven't seen the "bogeyman" one yet either.

        All the best,
        Michael
        Signature

        "Ich bin en fuego!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3785246].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    ever heard the turn create a crap or annoying ad, they stick in your head forever.

    They do this here in oz, and the jingle stays in your head all day. LOL...damn those NLP subconsciousness genius ads. Not sure if half of them are intentional but. LOL.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3785343].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Warrior Markets
      Ahh, the old "There's no such thing as bad publicity".

      So, have we decided if that's true or not?

      -WM
      Signature

      I have nothing of value to add here. But we can't let a signature go to waste now, can we?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3785902].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ladywriter
    The ads are meh. The worst ads I've seen were for Chef Boyardee when they had creepy kids chasing and trapping the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz--because they thought he was a can of ravioli or whatever. He looked all worried, it disturbed me a lot, lol!

    Not just because those kids were too young to know who the Tin Man was. :/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3785939].message }}
  • As a parent, these commercials make me cringe. They're a real turn-off. I understand what they're doing with them, but I hate them. They certainly don't make me want to buy Jello Temptations.
    Signature
    Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
    FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3786867].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustKid
    I just take commercials at face value. No hidden politics or morals just a company trying to sell us something.

    Its not like its telling us to go attack someone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3786982].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LilBlackDress
      Originally Posted by JustKid View Post

      I just take commercials at face value. No hidden politics or morals just a company trying to sell us something.

      Its not like its telling us to go attack someone.
      Alright take them at face value.

      In one the mother tells the children they will be left in a deep pit with snakes for 100 years with the Bogeyman.

      In another the child is abandoned at the bus station.

      Note..these are young children.

      What is this company telling you?

      Can't find the sick bogeyman one...but here is the one where the kid is deserted at bus station.

      Signature

      Pen Name + 8 eBooks + social media sites 4 SALE - PM me (evergreen beauty niche)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3790881].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Marty S
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3791165].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author LilBlackDress
          Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

          A-) I think the spots are generally amusing.

          B-) I think you are over-reacting in a personal way, without seeing the grand marketing plan here.

          C-) I think they are counting on people to over-react.

          Job well done IMHO.
          I am not looking for a grand marketing plan. I am viewing this as a consumer seeing tasteless advertising..

          Definitely NOT a job well done when I plan (as do many others) to go out of my way to avoid purchasing Kraft food products.

          And many consumers (who agree with me on the ads) think the company management who approved this must be bumbling idiots.
          Signature

          Pen Name + 8 eBooks + social media sites 4 SALE - PM me (evergreen beauty niche)

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3791293].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author J Bold
        Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post

        Alright take them at face value.

        In one the mother tells the children they will be left in a deep pit with snakes for 100 years with the Bogeyman.

        In another the child is abandoned at the bus station.

        Note..these are young children.

        What is this company telling you?

        Can't find the sick bogeyman one...but here is the one where the kid is deserted at bus station.

        YouTube - New JELL-O TEMPTATIONS Benny Commercial

        And yet you're not taking any of them at face value, are you? You are describing them as if they are serious in nature and the makers actually want children to be abandoned, etc.

        They are clearly using melodramatic, exaggerated plot devices in a comedic way.

        You are ignoring the whole tone and intent of the commercials, they are clearly for comedic effect.

        Haven't you ever read old fairy tales for kids? Ever watch a Disney movie? Full of "scary" moments and often not even for comedic effect!

        These commercials are tame compared to that stuff.

        Frankly I think you just need to chill out about it and take the commercials as they are really attended. In reality, they are quite harmless.

        I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about. I have seen way, way worse commercials with much more offensive material but I'm just bemused that so many in America blow things way, way out of proportion and far, far out of context.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3791483].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author grilaje
    It seemed the same to me, couldn;t understand their choice
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3790864].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebRank1
    1) They are targeting parents só clearly it is not even funny anymore.
    2) I see kids that have taken something that is not theirs to take.
    3) I can see the message 'It it the first jello that is just for adults.' 'Adults like it so much that they are taking extreme measures to punish their kids that took something that is not theirs.'
    4) All this is brought with a wink.
    5) I am absolutely sure, that they will make a killing. It is only the people that don't like it that speak up. The parents that actually chuckle when seeing these adverts will only think that the other people are without humor.

    Absolutely great job. A lot of buzz. And the fact that there are so many disgruntled, humorless people, make that I would almost fly to the US to get a pack of them jello's. Just to piss those people off.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3791367].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    The "fuss" is just going to drive more sales.

    Don't worry, I can almost guarantee that they will get MORE sales because of all the whining.

    Of course, you're entitled to whine, but keep in mind some of the points I made above.

    Seriously though, setting up a large-scale boycott because of these particular commercials? Well, I guess it doesn't really matter because they ARE targetting ADULTS - and all I'm hearing is a bunch of children whining about the "Big Bad Jello Wolf".

    If you personally don't want to buy their products, great! More power to you. But to organize a large boycott is vindicitve, reactionary, and ignorant (in the best sense of the word).

    I say we start boycotting the boycotters. (That's meant as humor for the humor-challenged among us).

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3791518].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LilBlackDress
      I tried to find the first commercial with the bogeyman threats. My guess is it got pulled. They are all bad, but it was the worst of the lot.

      I just don't see the "fun" in these. The way these are done with the threats to the kids is just gross. I had to ask ...where is management's common sense?

      @Michael, I am not organizing a boycott. I said that many people are boycotting the products because they find the commercials offensive. I also said I personally would not buy the products.

      Did you feel it was vindictive when some people decided not to buy GoDaddy products when he did his ole Elephant ads?

      Consumers have every right not to buy Jello Temptations or other Kraft products because of the way they represent and promote their products.

      It is certainly not vindictive or ignorant to decide not to buy something because you don't like the way the company does business. I am surprised you would even suggest that.
      Signature

      Pen Name + 8 eBooks + social media sites 4 SALE - PM me (evergreen beauty niche)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3791768].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
        Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post

        I tried to find the first commercial with the bogeyman threats. My guess is it got pulled. They are all bad, but it was the worst of the lot.

        I just don't see the "fun" in these. The way these are done with the threats to the kids is just gross. I had to ask ...where is management's common sense?

        @Michael, I am not organizing a boycott. I said that many people are boycotting the products because they find the commercials offensive. I also said I personally would not buy the products.

        Did you feel it was vindictive when some people decided not to buy GoDaddy products when he did his ole Elephant ads?

        Consumers have every right not to buy Jello Temptations or other Kraft products because of the way they represent and promote their products.

        It is certainly not vindictive or ignorant to decide not to buy something because you don't like the way the company does business. I am surprised you would even suggest that.
        TO be clear, as a personal deccision...I see NOTHING wrong with it. It's when it gets to an organized boycott that problems come up. There are exceptions though.

        However, while you may not be organizing a boycott, you're certainly letting enough people know about it.

        That being said, there are many products I don't buy because I don't like the commercials. And that's my right. I haven't said anything to the contrary.

        But I don't get on some Facebook group and start saying how much I dislike them in the hopes of getting other people to do the same. I could be wrong, but I get the impression that you're part of some group that doesn't like the commercial; especially because you seem to be hearing of a lot of people that don't like the commercials.

        So, I have no problem if you choose not to buy something--for ANY reason. It's boycotts, as a general rule, that are the issue. You say you're not organizing a boycott, and that's fine. But are you PARTICIPATING in one? Adding your voice to a growing number of consumers? Trying to make Kraft Foods go out of business? Or...what's your ultimate goal (just curious is all).

        All the best,
        Michael
        Signature

        "Ich bin en fuego!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3792595].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author LilBlackDress
          Michael,

          I don't like the ads. I mentioned that on here, because I was curious to see what others think about the marketing style. The ads also bothered me enough that I popped a quick email to the company to say I found them offensive. I don't like any of the ads but if it were not for the 100 years in a snake pit with the bogeyman first one (which you did not see and which I believe has since been pulled) I probably would not have given it any thought.

          While searching for their email I noticed many others were bothered by the ads and there were many complaints on the FB page.

          When you say I am letting enough people know about it, aside from the email I sent to Kraft I have one post on the Warrior Forum....hardly a crusade.

          I am not in any Temptations bashing group. I am not a member or participant on the Facebook page. I am not organizing a boycott.

          It was a mention on the WF because I don't like the ads and was curious to see what others think. Nothing more.

          Anyway nuff said, you and I both have more important things to do than continue to talk about jello ads
          Signature

          Pen Name + 8 eBooks + social media sites 4 SALE - PM me (evergreen beauty niche)

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3795467].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
            Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post

            Michael,

            I don't like the ads. I mentioned that on here, because I was curious to see what others think about the marketing style. The ads also bothered me enough that I popped a quick email to the company to say I found them offensive. I don't like any of the ads but if it were not for the 100 years in a snake pit with the bogeyman first one (which you did not see and which I believe has since been pulled) I probably would not have given it any thought.

            While searching for their email I noticed many others were bothered by the ads and there were many complaints on the FB page.

            When you say I am letting enough people know about it, aside from the email I sent to Kraft I have one post on the Warrior Forum....hardly a crusade.

            I am not in any Temptations bashing group. I am not a member or participant on the Facebook page. I am not organizing a boycott.

            It was a mention on the WF because I don't like the ads and was curious to see what others think. Nothing more.

            Anyway nuff said, you and I both have more important things to do than continue to talk about jello ads
            LOL

            You may be right about having better things to do.

            I appreciate you clearing those things up. I wasn't sure if my assumptions were correct or not.

            I also applaud you in sending a letter to the company. It would be great if more people did that. Wouldn't it be funny if they responded to your letter and included coupons for free Tempations?

            You certainly got to see what others thought; you never quite know what people are thinking unless you ask.

            All the best,
            Michael
            Signature

            "Ich bin en fuego!"
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3795536].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author O0o0O
    It's just one of those marketing campaigns that just doesn't go well with the audience. I think Burger King did a campaign a few years back that the public found distasteful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3791810].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    Did you feel it was vindictive when some people decided not to buy GoDaddy products when he did his ole Elephant ads?
    Yes, I did because it was.

    Not buying as a personal decision is fine. It's organizing a boycott that I have a problem with, except in extreme cases; and this ain't one of them.

    However, you are comparing apples to oranges here. A FICTIONAL commercialthat misses the mark is a lot different than a person actually killing for sport.

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3792558].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garyv
    I'd have to say just as an observer of these commercials, that it probably wasn't fully thought out. Because even though this particular line of their products are aimed at adults, their largest consumer by far is children. And even though these commercials are aimed at adults, and for adults they are funny, you can bet that not only adults are seeing them. And even though they are funny for adults, children don't process humor the same way. And you can bet that if I had seen one of these commercials as a child, I wouldn't touch anything with the brand Jello on it after seeing one of these.

    So while this may help this particular line of the product increase, I'd be willing to bet that the rest of the Jello line will suffer from it. And it will be all because of those stupid kids with no sense of humor. Darn kids!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3796006].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pmbrent
    Believe it or not, negative PR is sometimes better then positive PR. Look at what is done for Britney Spears' career. Toyota is still making cars, BP is still selling oil at a higher price then before might I add.
    Signature
    Who Else Wants to Learn Everything About QR Codes AND How to Make From Them?

    Special WSO Price!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3796022].message }}

Trending Topics