Please Share Your Current Article Marketing Method

24 replies
Hey warriors,

For the past 2 years that I'e been online I've generated all my traffic from video marketing and from affilliates. I'm now entering a new niche where video marketing is not an option and I need a way of testing my sales funnel before I start recruiting affiliates.

I've decided to use article arketing to do this.

I've never done much article marketing at all so I'd like to get some ideas on what's working right now.

Please share your current article marketing method below and please keep in mind that I'm not looking for a long term strategy. After I've tested my sales funnel all my traffic in this new niche will be generated by affiliates and I'll just focus on recruiting more of them. So please only share methods that I can use to quickly generate traffic with articles so I can test my funnel before I start recruiting affiliates.

James,

PS: I know a lot of you will say I should just use PPC traffic to test my sales funnel but that's not an option since google is not letting me advertise my site because they claim my sales letter contains too many "unverifiable claims".
#article #current #marketing #method #share
  • Profile picture of the author imlifestyle
    Originally Posted by canadaexpert View Post

    Just Networking in both real and cyber space. Goodluck
    Huh?

    What does that even mean?

    Looks to me like you just left a random comment to increase your post count.

    James,
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3811799].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author myob
      All I do is write like hell and send them off to targeted publishers in my niches. Works for me.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3811822].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author imlifestyle
        Originally Posted by myob View Post

        All I do is write like hell and send them off to targeted publishers in my niches. Works for me.
        Hey Paul,

        What do you mean by targetted publisher?

        Do you mean people with high ranking blogs and/or sites in your niche?

        If yes then why would they do that?

        What do they gain by posting your article with your link on their site...besides new content for their site I dont see what a site owner would win by doing this.

        James,
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812323].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author myob
          All I do is write like hell and send them off to targeted publishers in my niches. Works for me.
          Originally Posted by imlifestyle View Post

          Hey Paul,

          What do you mean by targetted publisher?

          Do you mean people with high ranking blogs and/or sites in your niche?

          If yes then why would they do that?

          What do they gain by posting your article with your link on their site...besides new content for their site I dont see what a site owner would win by doing this.

          James,
          With a bit of tongue in cheek, that is quite accurately a summation of my online marketing model. All of my niches are in the most hotly competitive markets (including health/fitness ), but this method may not be a good fit for you. Nearly all of my traffic comes from articles, because all of my websites are literally buried under millions of pages of competing websites in the SERPS.

          Using this model of actually leveraging high quality articles over tens of thousands of high PR websites and blogs, however, it really does not take very many articles at all to make a killing in even the most heavily competitive and saturated niches. Just one article, for example brings in an average $3,000-$7,000 monthly residual income when fully distributed throughout my syndicated network.

          Most all such publisher outlets are hungry for quality content, and if your articles are a match for their readers, you've got a well-oiled, mean money making machine in place that can beat out any competition. This is more of a long-term strategy, however, which clearly is not an appropriate fit for your stated short term aims.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3813397].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author imlifestyle
            Originally Posted by myob View Post

            With a bit of tongue in cheek, that is quite accurately a summation of my online marketing model. All of my niches are in the most hotly competitive markets (including health/fitness ), but this method may not be a good fit for you. Nearly all of my traffic comes from articles, because all of my websites are literally buried under millions of pages of competing websites in the SERPS.

            Using this model of actually leveraging high quality articles over tens of thousands of high PR websites and blogs, however, it really does not take very many articles at all to make a killing in even the most heavily competitive and saturated niches. Just one article, for example brings in an average $3,000-$7,000 monthly residual income when fully distributed throughout my syndicated network.

            Most all such publisher outlets are hungry for quality content, and if your articles are a match for their readers, you've got a well-oiled, mean money making machine in place that can beat out any competition. This is more of a long-term strategy, however, which clearly is not an appropriate fit for your stated short term aims.
            Thanks for the reply Paul.

            But you did not answer my question.... who exactly are these targeted publishers that you talked about?

            Please let me know.

            James,
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3813723].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author myob
              There's not enough room to list exactly all 25,000+ here. And, as I mentioned before as did Alexa, this is more of a long-term strategy, which clearly is not an appropriate fit for your stated short term aims. For temporary traffic perhaps consider some forms of paid advertising such as ezine solo ads or other targeted media.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3813743].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Bill_Z
                Originally Posted by myob View Post

                There's not enough room to list exactly all 25,000+ here. And, as I mentioned before as did Alexa, this is more of a long-term strategy, which clearly is not an appropriate fit for your stated short term aims. For temporary traffic perhaps consider some forms of paid advertising such as ezine solo ads or other targeted media.
                How do you reach out to so many publishers with an article of yours? Is there a service you use?
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3814090].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author myob
                  Originally Posted by Bill_Z View Post

                  How do you reach out to so many publishers with an article of yours? Is there a service you use?
                  It's all done inhouse. Actually, that total of 25,000+ syndicated outlets comprises dozens of niches, so at most one article will only go to roughly 6,000 publishers, others as few as a couple of hundred. These include high pr authority websites, blogs, targeted ezines, specialty newsletters, and offline outlets such as magazines, trade journals, newspapers etc. The delivery is multi-faceted; autoresponder, direct email, RSS feeds, fax and sometimes by snail mail.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3814150].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author imlifestyle
                Originally Posted by myob View Post

                There's not enough room to list exactly all 25,000+ here. And, as I mentioned before as did Alexa, this is more of a long-term strategy, which clearly is not an appropriate fit for your stated short term aims. For temporary traffic perhaps consider some forms of paid advertising such as ezine solo ads or other targeted media.
                Hey Paul,

                I'm not asking you to list them.

                I'm asking what exactly these targeted publishers are.

                Are you talking about blog and site owners in your niche?

                James,
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3834751].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author myob
                  Originally Posted by imlifestyle View Post

                  Hey Paul,

                  I'm not asking you to list them.

                  I'm asking what exactly these targeted publishers are.

                  Are you talking about blog and site owners in your niche?

                  James,
                  For example, one of my niches is in the medical field. My articles are syndicated in high authority medically oriented medical websites, blogs, ezines, and offline outlets such as clinical journals, health magazines, medical school newsletters, and faculty publications. This is the exact same article syndication marketing model I use in dozens of other niches; targeting real people who read these type of articles, and this has been covered in detail by other very successful and experienced writers using this same model. The benefit of such authoritative positioning is buyers tend to nearly reflexively base purchase decisions on recommendations when faced with other competitive options. I've been doing this for many years; definitely a long term strategy.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3836923].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bill_Z
    What do you need help with specifically? I mean if you just want traffic, you can outsource the article writing as well as the submission to directories. If you want traffic quickly, get 10 articles written per day and submit them to Ezine and Articlesbase.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3811836].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author imlifestyle
      Originally Posted by Bill_Z View Post

      What do you need help with specifically? I mean if you just want traffic, you can outsource the article writing as well as the submission to directories. If you want traffic quickly, get 10 articles written per day and submit them to Ezine and Articlesbase.
      Hey Bill,

      What I simply need is a way to quickly drive traffic to my site using article marketing so I can test my sales funnel.

      Once I've tested my sales funnel and its converting I'll be done with article marketing and will use affiliates to drive traffic to my site after that.

      Your 10 articles per day idea is actually similar to what I have in mind right now... I'm thinking of hiring someone to write 100 articles for me and then I'll submit them to ezine and article base.

      I think that should get me some good traffic.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3811941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raindance
    Needless to say, you need to submit your articles to article directories for exposure. And make it really good quality. When someone starts reading it, it should be fascinating enough to keep the reader hooked to read it completely. You can derive considerable traffic from article directories without much of a hassle.

    You should write your content with the aim of getting it syndicated. Making it appeal so much to the reader that he/she uses it on their own site to share it with the visitors. With the help of syndication, you get quality (relevant) traffic and that is what you need the most for testing your sales funnel. But make sure that you don't drop the link of your sales page in your resource box. If you do so, the chances of the article getting syndicated are a lot less.

    Since the google update, many people on this forum have cried over the fact that EzineArticles takes too long to approve articles and has become a lot more strict than before. I'm new to EZA (Basic Level Author) and regularly submit my articles there and in spite of not being a Diamond level author they get approved within 2-3 days. I've noticed that they pay more attention to long articles that are above the 800 words mark. Keep your articles long and helpful without any grammar or spelling mistakes. They will receive rapid approval and also appeal to publishers who visit EZA looking for articles to post on their site.
    Signature
    Making Money without Websites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3811881].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author imlifestyle
      Originally Posted by Raindance View Post

      Needless to say, you need to submit your articles to article directories for exposure. And make it really good quality. When someone starts reading it, it should be fascinating enough to keep the reader hooked to read it completely. You can derive considerable traffic from article directories without much of a hassle.

      You should write your content with the aim of getting it syndicated. Making it appeal so much to the reader that he/she uses it on their own site to share it with the visitors. With the help of syndication, you get quality (relevant) traffic and that is what you need the most for testing your sales funnel. But make sure that you don't drop the link of your sales page in your resource box. If you do so, the chances of the article getting syndicated are a lot less.

      Since the google update, many people on this forum have cried over the fact that EzineArticles takes too long to approve articles and has become a lot more strict than before. I'm new to EZA (Basic Level Author) and regularly submit my articles there and in spite of not being a Diamond level author they get approved within 2-3 days. I've noticed that they pay more attention to long articles that are above the 800 words mark. Keep your articles long and helpful without any grammar or spelling mistakes. They will receive rapid approval and also appeal to publishers who visit EZA looking for articles to post on their site.
      I'm really not interested in this syndication thing because I'm not going to rely on article marketing as my main traffic source for long. I'm only using it for testing purposes so I know my site converts before I start recruiting affiliates.

      James,
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3811947].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by imlifestyle View Post

    Please share your current article marketing method below and please keep in mind that I'm not looking for a long term strategy.
    My methods (of syndication) are not suitable for you: they're more for "long-term strategies", rather than "quick testing".

    Originally Posted by imlifestyle View Post

    please only share methods that I can use to quickly generate traffic with articles so I can test my funnel before I start recruiting affiliates.
    I think submission to appropriate, relevant publishers (as opposed to article directories) may well be your best bet. And on this subject, I think you'll be far better served by taking advice from Paul Uhl and from Bill Platt than from others here.

    That approach can certainly produce fast, targeted traffic.

    Originally Posted by imlifestyle View Post

    google is not letting me advertise my site because they claim my sales letter contains too many "unverifiable claims".
    Just a little cautionary note, then: that may also produce some problems for attracting serious, professional affiliates. (A "Clickbank analogy" would be their current situation in which fewer than 10% of the affiliates actually produce about 90% of the affiliate-referred sales: that small group of affiliates - who are the kind you'll most want to attract, I think? - are likely to overlap extensively with the group of potential affiliates who'll also be put off by unverifiable claims on a product's sales page. The "other 90%" may not be put off, to anything like the same extent, but may be of far less collectively value to you as a vendor, even if you succeed in attracting large numbers of them. Just a thought.) :confused:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3811962].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author imlifestyle
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      My methods (of syndication) are not suitable for you: they're more for "long-term strategies", rather than "quick testing".



      I think submission to appropriate, relevant publishers (as opposed to article directories) may well be your best bet. And on this subject, I think you'll be far better served by taking advice from Paul Uhl and from Bill Platt than from others here.

      That approach can certainly produce fast, targeted traffic.



      Just a little cautionary note, then: that may also produce some problems for attracting serious, professional affiliates. (A "Clickbank analogy" would be their current situation in which fewer than 10% of the affiliates actually produce about 90% of the affiliate-referred sales: that small group of affiliates - who are the kind you'll most want to attract, I think? - are likely to overlap extensively with the group of potential affiliates who'll also be put off by unverifiable claims on a product's sales page. The "other 90%" may not be put off, to anything like the same extent, but may be of far less collectively value to you as a vendor, even if you succeed in attracting large numbers of them. Just a thought.) :confused:
      Thanks for your thoughts Alexa.

      But I dont think you understand what I mean with the PPC issue.

      Google has been shutting down anyone making any claims that aren't 100% verfiable.

      For example, the truth about abs has tons of affiliates and they where hit by this recently for the same reasons.

      I'm not out to scam anyone or anything like that but theres no way to prove (even with testimonials) that what I'm promising on my letter is possible which is why google wont let me run ppc ads.

      My main competitor in this niche has a high gravity on clickbank and they where hit by this recently too.

      James,
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812121].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        Thanks, James ... I hasten to add that I'm not suggesting for a moment that you're out to scam people!

        Thanks for the "PPC perspective" - I don't use it at the moment ... (so ignore my last paragraph, then, if you're not really making unverifiable claims!).

        I do think Bill and Paul would be really good people for you to talk to, rather than assuming that because you want to use articles, that necessarily means depending on article directories for traffic. And good luck.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812166].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imlifestyle
    Originally Posted by Chris Kent View Post

    James, for quick targeted traffic, article marketing is now basically dead. The traffic returns compared to the effort make it almost useless now, in my view. I literally just wrote about this here.

    You're looking at guest blogging, which requires more legwork to negotiate. Or you could pay for a solo ad in an email list.

    I think there will soon be some kind of guest blogging middlemen soon. Someone was even looking for one a minute ago, here.

    Expired domains may be another way but the good ones will go to auction I reckon.
    Hey Chris,

    I just read your article on quick targetted traffic and I agree with you...its going to be tough going forward.

    Guest blogging is really not an option for me since most of the high ranking sites in my niche are from affiliates who are promoting my main competitors product.

    I'm confident I can get them to switch and promote my product instead but first I need proof that my letter converts and to get that proof I need some quick targetted traffic.

    I have never looked into expired domains for traffic so I'll look into that and see if its an option.

    James,
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3812347].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author darrenscrawford
    I'm not sure that article marketing is dead, per se. But it will be different. I think the golden days of spitting out crap and expecting clicks from articles is gone.

    But that being said, I would use Web 2.0 properties that promote each other with the high quality ones promoting your money making site/page. Have sites like Hubpages & Squidoo etc point back to your money site with anchor text keywords. Have 2nd and 3rd tier Web2.0 properties (like jimdo, weebly etc) point to each other. These would be Promoting The Promoters sites.

    Each site should have original content and you should be targeting specific keywords. Look at the Google Wonderwheel for some related keyword ideas.

    Hope that helps!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3814870].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shafiqkamal
      Originally Posted by darrenscrawford View Post

      I'm not sure that article marketing is dead, per se. But it will be different. I think the golden days of spitting out crap and expecting clicks from articles is gone.

      But that being said, I would use Web 2.0 properties that promote each other with the high quality ones promoting your money making site/page. Have sites like Hubpages & Squidoo etc point back to your money site with anchor text keywords. Have 2nd and 3rd tier Web2.0 properties (like jimdo, weebly etc) point to each other. These would be Promoting The Promoters sites.

      Each site should have original content and you should be targeting specific keywords. Look at the Google Wonderwheel for some related keyword ideas.

      Hope that helps!
      A lot of news are saying article marketing is dead due to the Google Panda update. Similarly to Alexa's reply, I'm using article marketing to market my content and also to use it for backlink purposes. By writing unique content that is not full of BS but instead rich with information that are well researched, I'm sure readers will syndicate my content in their websites.

      Back to the question, normally I would just write one unique content to Ezine, wait for it to get accepted and then submit the same content to 9 other top article directories. So far it works in getting clickthroughs and also rankings. I know that some warriors do feel that spinning content would be much better but I'm just lazy to do so. Maybe I would just try it for testing purposes to see the outcome.


      Regards,
      Shafiq
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3815293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Winson Ng
    Hey,
    Article marketing is not dead, it has simply evolved..
    My articles strategy, put my blog on the first page of
    google for a highly competitive keyword ...PM me for proof..
    I use a series of my personal tactical plan and use a
    single software i bought in the market... , the
    combination of both brought me excellent results
    that shocked the Gurus...within a few days... the
    I was ranked first for another keyword so competitive,
    even my blog post, ranked above the well established
    gurus who bought domains, containing that specific keyword..

    Again., im not here to brag, but do PM me, if you want my consultation and advice for a great articles strategy...!

    Winson
    Signature
    Winson NG
    CEO/Founder of http://thinkmaverick.com
    Online Business & Entrepreneurship News, Advice, Strategy Think Maverick
    Information to guide start-up entrepreneurs to grow and strategically manage a small business online, using market researched Intelligence.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3815351].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lyanna
    I'll keep it short:

    Free Traffic System
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3834773].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davidfstyles
    Personally I only use article marketing for SEO. What I do is spin with 'The Best Spinner' and submit to heaps of sites such as 'Unique Article Wizard' etc.

    Hope that helps.

    David.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3835481].message }}

Trending Topics