Question about article marketing, is it still profitable?

34 replies
I was thinking about getting into article marketing but there is a lot of people saying that article marketing is dead but i still see people making money from it. So what do you guys think? is article marketing still profitable or is it over saturated?
#article #marketing #profitable #question
  • Profile picture of the author xInd
    It is profitable if you do it properly. Main thing is, no marketing campaign is complete or proper if you're only doing one thing. Diversity and balance are important, and stay away from garbage online, quality over quantity.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3815377].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterkailo
    Any type of marketing works, and you need to stick to one method to really test it. Don't jump from one marketing strategy to the next unless you mastered one technique.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3815380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Coby
    Yes, it absolutely is! You just maybe have to go about it in a different way...

    You need to get the most from each article you write... Meaning you need to repurpose it as stretch it as far as you can...

    Here is how you can do this:

    1) Turn Articles into Videos
    2) Turn Articles into mp3's
    3) Submit to web 2.0 (Ning, Squidoo, Hubpages and Niche specific sites)
    4) Utilize RSS feeds

    Hope this helps
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3815382].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kevin Marshall
      Article marketing is definitely not dead. It is dead if all you do is post your articles to Ezinearticles.com. This doesn't work very well anymore.

      Post articles to your own blogs and websites first. Once they are indexed there, repost your articles at other sites. As the previous poster just stated, you can also turn your articles into MP3 files and video slide shows too. Lastly, you can spin your articles and create a bunch of new articles to post on other sites.
      Signature

      Confused about SEO? Facebook? Adwords? Send me a PM to apply for your free 30 minute consultation today!



      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3815395].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lilphilupt
      Originally Posted by Coby View Post

      Yes, it absolutely is! You just maybe have to go about it in a different way...

      You need to get the most from each article you write... Meaning you need to repurpose it as stretch it as far as you can...

      Here is how you can do this:

      1) Turn Articles into Videos
      2) Turn Articles into mp3's
      3) Submit to web 2.0 (Ning, Squidoo, Hubpages and Niche specific sites)
      4) Utilize RSS feeds

      Hope this helps
      That sounds interesting, are you putting these videos on site's like youtube and are they just slides of the article basically?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3815441].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lilphilupt
        I also forgot about something called bum marketing that is involved with article marketing that i read about a while ago, does this still work good?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3815464].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helpmePPC
    It's mostly dead although you can implement some strategies, it just won't make you a full time income if that's what you are thinking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3815466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author animesh
    Article marketing is also considered as best way to rank your main website in SERP.
    Signature
    PPC Services Pay per click Advertisement is all I do ..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3816006].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by animesh View Post

      Article marketing is also considered as best way to rank your main website in SERP.
      It's not considered that by any successful article marketers I know.

      Including myself.

      SEO is not a primary objective of article marketing. And especially not of article directory marketing. In fact it's been an extremely poor way of doing that for rather a long time, and is gradually getting worse, for a variety of reasons (increasing competition and Google algorithm updates being perhaps the two main ones).

      Article directory backlinks are non-context-relevant, PR-0 backlinks (regardless of the page rank of the directories' home pages, which aren't where your articles are published, of course), and typically one will need something between 50,000 and 100,000 of them to confer the link-juice equivalent to one relevant backlink from an authority-site.

      But "is it still profitable"? Yes, very much so. Certainly a large number of Warriors are making increasingly good livings from it. ("Article directory marketing" not so much, clearly, but they're very different things).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3816656].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author arttse
        Alexa

        You said that 1 backlink from an authority site is equivalent to 50K backlinks from an article directory site.

        I assume the backlink (from the authority site) is on a page that has a high page rank (and not from a PR0 page) otherwise it's no different to a link from an article directory.


        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        It's not considered that by any successful article marketers I know.

        Including myself.

        SEO is not a primary objective of article marketing. And especially not of article directory marketing. In fact it's been an extremely poor way of doing that for rather a long time, and is gradually getting worse, for a variety of reasons (increasing competition and Google algorithm updates being perhaps the two main ones).

        Article directory backlinks are non-context-relevant, PR-0 backlinks (regardless of the page rank of the directories' home pages, which aren't where your articles are published, of course), and typically one will need something between 50,000 and 100,000 of them to confer the link-juice equivalent to one relevant backlink from an authority-site.

        But "is it still profitable"? Yes, very much so. Certainly a large number of Warriors are making increasingly good livings from it. ("Article directory marketing" not so much, clearly, but they're very different things).
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3821636].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Originally Posted by arttse View Post

          You said that 1 backlink from an authority site is equivalent to 50K backlinks from an article directory site.
          I didn't say that.

          I said from a RELEVANT authority site.

          (And I said "typically equivalent to something between 50,000 and 100,000").

          That's the whole point. Page rank is of very, very, very minor significance compared with context-relevance.

          You can see this from the way that low-page-rank pages so regularly outrank high-page-rank pages in the SERP's, and from the way that every new announcement, algorithm-change, policy and procedural change from Google is increasingly accentuating relevance. One would have to be living in a rabbit-hole not to notice this.

          And for the record, it's not just me saying that: it's the author of every serious SEO textbook I've ever read. I don't mean e-books written by people selling their own material online, which has effectively been entirely free from any form of quality control whatsoever: I'm talking about mainstream, orthodox, quality, commercial publications which have been peer-reviewed, professionally edited and commissioned in the first place only from acknowledged experts. And however many people post attempted rebuttals saying "Ooh, well, this site and that blog say something different", I won't be changing my mind about that, because I also know it to be true from my own experience and testing, as do many others here, and I have the money in the bank to prove it.

          Originally Posted by arttse View Post

          I assume the backlink (from the authority site) is on a page that has a high page rank (and not from a PR0 page) otherwise it's no different to a link from an article directory.
          With apologies, and very similarly to comments I and others have made to you before, if you believe that "otherwise it's no different to a link from an article directory" then we just can't hold a serious conversation about it. You live in a different world from me: yours is a world of quantitative approaches and page rank. It bears very little resembance to my world and my experiences. One thing I promise you (and you can verify it for yourself, if you spend enough time reading what members are saying here) is that people who are switching from a quantitative, page-rank-based approach to backlinking to a qualitative, context-relevance-based one are certainly not switching back.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3823129].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 2d0k
    It still is, depending on how you define "profitable" in the context of article marketing..
    Signature
    World News | Hasta La Victoria Siempre! | Website Hosting Cost
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3816669].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spiders1980
    Article marketing not valuable.google not considering it siad by Matt Catt
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3816706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    quality articles...yes

    spun crappy articles....dont bother.

    I just made it simple and easy for you without a novel.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3816813].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smackey1
    Article marketing is still extremely profitable. Like everyone else here has told you, you must do it correctly.

    First, you must write so you grab the reader's attention.
    Next, you MUST offer something of real value. (not for an opt in, but simple value from your words). This helps build your brand and trust.
    Finally, your writing should be grammatically correct and not full of tons of writing errors and mistakes.

    For the last tip, I suggest learning how to proofread and edit and DO NOT solely rely on Word to correct your document. Many of my writing students make mistakes in their essays when they ONLY use spell-checker in Word.

    Learn some good writing techniques and article marketing WILL benefit you.

    Shawn
    Signature

    Shawn Mackey
    My guaranteed techniques will have you increasing profits within 30 days. Grow your business by building better relationships and increase customers, referrals, and profits..

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3817554].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lilphilupt
      Originally Posted by smackey1 View Post

      Article marketing is still extremely profitable. Like everyone else here has told you, you must do it correctly.

      First, you must write so you grab the reader's attention.
      Next, you MUST offer something of real value. (not for an opt in, but simple value from your words). This helps build your brand and trust.
      Finally, your writing should be grammatically correct and not full of tons of writing errors and mistakes.

      For the last tip, I suggest learning how to proofread and edit and DO NOT solely rely on Word to correct your document. Many of my writing students make mistakes in their essays when they ONLY use spell-checker in Word.

      Learn some good writing techniques and article marketing WILL benefit you.

      Shawn
      Thats sounds good, is it still possible to make a full time income with this or is it more like a side income?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3817988].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author myob
        Originally Posted by lilphilupt View Post

        Thats sounds good, is it still possible to make a full time income with this or is it more like a side income?
        There are actually quite a few right here in the WF making a six figure monthly income or more just from writing articles to market affiliate products.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3818037].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lilphilupt
          Originally Posted by myob View Post

          There are actually quite a few right here in the WF making a six figure monthly income or more just from writing articles to market affiliate products.
          Cool, i'm planning on getting into article marketing very soon. Do you guys think this WSO is a good start for me for article marketing it's by Matthew Olsen - http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...-friendly.html
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3818085].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LegionNate
    I can't speak to that WSO in particular, but I've liked the other two I got from Matt Olsen quite a bit.
    Signature

    Do you have Buyer IM leads? We have sales floors with Great DPL. PM me.


    The Warrior Forum

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3818148].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alfredo Carrion
    Article marketing is definitely still profitable. It just depends what your goals are. I totally agree with Alexa Smith (if you're interested in article marketing, read her posts here at the Warrior Forum. They have more knowledge than most of the article marketing products you will find).

    Also, try this threads:

    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...t-experts.html
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3818157].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SeanSupplee
    Very profitable if you do it right. You need to be submitting quality over quantity. So many people have been brought up on submitting thousands of junk articles hopping to make a sale. I'm sorry to tell you they wasted their time. Provide high quality articles and you will see results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3821592].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shireen
    Hi:

    Shireen here :-)

    From my experience, quality articles will generate consistent traffic to my websites.

    I'm still doing article marketing :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3821627].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paintbrush4u
    There is enough said about article marketing on this thread...
    All i will add is Article marketing works and works well but its just not what it used to be...
    But it is still effective as long as the content is tight and compelling [not salesy]
    Signature

    Geo-Targeting and local SEO Consultant
    Yes I do believe in Money Tree - Its just that we call it our LISTs

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3821670].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BlogBoom
    It is definitely profitable. Build your sites with your own articles first. se your articles to guest blog on authority sites.... that'll help you a lot more than most of the article directories out there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3821862].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author simonbuzz
    Banned
    Article marketing is not dead...I am still using it to drive traffic to my site...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3821879].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sting82
    Article marketing it's profitable and I'm still doing article marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3821896].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author totodeal
    i like reads the way many others do.
    it would never over saturated due to the great demand .
    it is the strong mind to carry it on that drive the "over saturated" if you know what i mean.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3821940].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wadeinni
    Article marketing is not dead, at least not yet. But it's one of those marketing tactics that's quickly losing steam and part of it has to do with Google's recent algorithm update. You create great articles for article banks and join their affiliate programs. They distribute those articles to content needy new websites with very low quality, you make a little money if your articles get republished frequently. Google now steps in and severely punish those sites in the rankings that republish your articles on their pages. Those sites then stop using syndicated articles to get on Google's good side, and the article directories will eventually die a slow death. That's the current direction article marketing is taking right now.

    You can do it but, you have to put a new spin on it to make it effective. Convert your article cache into a new video marketing campaign which is more profitable and popular nowadays anyway. Big video sites like Youtube and Revver offer great partner programs that can earn you a lot of money if you create interesting enough videos.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3821958].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author brendan9971
      Originally Posted by wadeinni View Post

      ... Google now steps in and severely punish those sites in the rankings that republish your articles on their pages. Those sites then stop using syndicated articles to get on Google's good side, and the article directories will eventually die a slow death. That's the current direction article marketing is taking right now....
      I still use article marketing but I HAVE seen a downturn after the most recent Google update (and ezinearticles slap). I think it will come back.. although not as strong as before.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3821968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author meetmanan
    It is profitable, just need to concentrate quality of work and service and your are the KING of it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3822691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author consumer-guide
    i don't think its profitable anymore
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3823149].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rumpleteazer
    One thing I promise you (and you can verify for it yourself, if you spend enough time reading what people are saying here) is that people who are switching from a quantitative, page-rank-based approach to backlinking to a qualitative, context-relevance-based one are certainly not switching back.
    OK, I get that. But what should be the best backlinking strategy now? If you are creating an authority site that is one thing. But what if you are creating a small Wordpress niche site? Or a site that is designed primarily for capturing leads?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3823425].message }}

Trending Topics