Where can I find writing tasks/jobs?

29 replies
Can you guys suggest me some sites that would pay for writing jobs/tasks. I dont like sites like Odesk because its a pain signing up, find me something simple
#find #tasks or jobs #writing
  • Profile picture of the author Charlotte Jay
    Right here on the Warrior Forum. Look in the Members Wanted section or place your own ad for a few bucks. I have more work than I can handle from fellow Warriors
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3818869].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tarsha
      Originally Posted by Charlotte Jay View Post

      Right here on the Warrior Forum. Look in the Members Wanted section or place your own ad for a few bucks. I have more work than I can handle from fellow Warriors
      Do you find your time spent to money earned ratio is good. I just don't see how I can compete with $1 per 100 words writers or how I can continue to pay my living expenses for that matter. I thought about putting up an ad, but its hard to take $5 for an article that you normally get nearly $20 for.
      Signature
      To be a poor man is hard, but to be a poor race in a land of dollars is the very bottom of hardships.
      - W.E.B. DuBois
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819304].message }}
      • Originally Posted by TX_Girl777 View Post

        Do you find your time spent to money earned ratio is good. I just don't see how I can compete with $1 per 100 words writers or how I can continue to pay my living expenses for that matter. I thought about putting up an ad, but its hard to take $5 for an article that you normally get nearly $20 for.
        Who says people wont pay more for quality? It's just going to take a more pro-active approach from your end.

        Start lower, but at enough to make your time spent writing worthwhile. Once demand grows, increase your price.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819322].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ShayB
        Originally Posted by TX_Girl777 View Post

        Do you find your time spent to money earned ratio is good. I just don't see how I can compete with $1 per 100 words writers or how I can continue to pay my living expenses for that matter. I thought about putting up an ad, but its hard to take $5 for an article that you normally get nearly $20 for.
        You may want to take a look at this thread:

        http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...6-writers.html
        Signature
        "Fate protects fools, little children, and ships called Enterprise." ~Commander Riker
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819335].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bnwebm
    Textbroker is easy to use and easy to sign up. I've used it when i'm not in the mood to deal with fussy content editors. The pay is ok, considering the amount of work necessary and you can get additional work at higher pay from customers who like your work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819045].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819117].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tarsha
      Demand Studios is one of the higher paying content mills. They're a little strict but once you get familiar with their way of doing things, it becomes much easier. They pay twice a week which is awesome. I've also had success selling articles on Constant Content for around $20 to $30 each.

      I'm starting to feel like a hamster on a hamster wheel writing articles all day. I'm looking for something else to add to the mix, not sure what yet.
      Signature
      To be a poor man is hard, but to be a poor race in a land of dollars is the very bottom of hardships.
      - W.E.B. DuBois
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819197].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bnwebm
        I'll add that I believe Demand is on a fast track to crash and burn. I've written for them for a year or so, over 500 articles. Recently, their title drops have been nonexistent and editing has slowed to a frustrating crawl. From speaking with editors, it appears they too are frustrated and burning out. It was a good idea initially, but with Panda, publication of lackluster (and in many cases, inaccurate) articles and hypocritical editing changes, they've burned many a bridge.

        Originally Posted by TX_Girl777 View Post

        Demand Studios is one of the higher paying content mills. They're a little strict but once you get familiar with their way of doing things, it becomes much easier. They pay twice a week which is awesome. I've also had success selling articles on Constant Content for around $20 to $30 each.

        I'm starting to feel like a hamster on a hamster wheel writing articles all day. I'm looking for something else to add to the mix, not sure what yet.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819252].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jo Smith
          Interesting topic here. Some useful info for those wanting to write. I usually use elance.com and havent had any major hiccups as yet. But good to know there is another more local source.
          Thanks guys
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819266].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tarsha
          Originally Posted by bnwebm View Post

          I'll add that I believe Demand is on a fast track to crash and burn. I've written for them for a year or so, over 500 articles. Recently, their title drops have been nonexistent and editing has slowed to a frustrating crawl. From speaking with editors, it appears they too are frustrated and burning out. It was a good idea initially, but with Panda, publication of lackluster (and in many cases, inaccurate) articles and hypocritical editing changes, they've burned many a bridge.
          That is very interesting. I write for the EHow Money and Business topics and there are currently around 130,000 titles available, but a lot of them seem impossible to write about. I agree about the editors. I've felt an unwavering need to diversify my income streams but there aren't many sites paying writers $18.50 an article. Many writers suggest getting private clients but I'm not sure how to take the first step to do so. I hate having so many of my eggs in one basket, but I don't know where else to put them right now.
          Signature
          To be a poor man is hard, but to be a poor race in a land of dollars is the very bottom of hardships.
          - W.E.B. DuBois
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819285].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Andrew Skelly
            writeswap dot com tell them Andrew sent you
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819298].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author bnwebm
            Have those titles decreased as well? I write for Livestrong and it's below 68,000, down from 70k just a week ago. Stick with searching the first page or two for good topics, because that's where the throwback end up when other writers don't have time to meet the deadline. I had an edit request the other day that I simply rejected altogther because they demanded I make changes to include inaccurate information. Mind you, i'm a reasonable writer and have no problem with large scale revisions. If however, i'm asked to make changes that are wrought with misinformation, forget it.

            Honestly, I don't have a problem getting clients, mainly through word of mouth. I've had several steady clients who loved my work (Textbroker) who hired me outside of the venue for two to three times the cost of the original work I had done. The best piece of advice I can offer is not to get caught up in being a writer. Too many people think that title affords them a sense of entitlement when in reality, writers are a dime a dozen. Good writers, on the other hand, are not easy to find but you, as a good writer, have to prove yourself among the $1 for 100 word writers. If it means writing for less, so be it. It works to get your work out there and eventually, you do get much better paying work.

            Originally Posted by TX_Girl777 View Post

            That is very interesting. I write for the EHow Money and Business topics and there are currently around 130,000 titles available, but a lot of them seem impossible to write about. I agree about the editors. I've felt an unwavering need to diversify my income streams but there aren't many sites paying writers $18.50 an article. Many writers suggest getting private clients but I'm not sure how to take the first step to do so. I hate having so many of my eggs in one basket, but I don't know where else to put them right now.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819334].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Tarsha
              Originally Posted by bnwebm View Post

              Have those titles decreased as well? I write for Livestrong and it's below 68,000, down from 70k just a week ago. Stick with searching the first page or two for good topics, because that's where the throwback end up when other writers don't have time to meet the deadline. I had an edit request the other day that I simply rejected altogther because they demanded I make changes to include inaccurate information. Mind you, i'm a reasonable writer and have no problem with large scale revisions. If however, i'm asked to make changes that are wrought with misinformation, forget it.

              Honestly, I don't have a problem getting clients, mainly through word of mouth. I've had several steady clients who loved my work (Textbroker) who hired me outside of the venue for two to three times the cost of the original work I had done. The best piece of advice I can offer is not to get caught up in being a writer. Too many people think that title affords them a sense of entitlement when in reality, writers are a dime a dozen. Good writers, on the other hand, are not easy to find but you, as a good writer, have to prove yourself among the $1 for 100 word writers. If it means writing for less, so be it. It works to get your work out there and eventually, you do get much better paying work.
              Thanks for the advice, extremely helpful. I know what you means about the edits. I have an article in rewrite status I'm considering letting expire because the editor is basically asking me to change the entire article because he felt the title spoke to him differently. Lol.

              Word of mouth seems like the driving force to successful marketing. Being an introvert, this is certainly an area I need to improve in to let others know about my writing business.
              Signature
              To be a poor man is hard, but to be a poor race in a land of dollars is the very bottom of hardships.
              - W.E.B. DuBois
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819416].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smoh
    Curious as to how much people charge for 150, 300 and 450 word articles freewrite. I have my own network of writers who are all College/University grads but not sure how much I should be paying.

    You can start your own as well. I did it simply for my own purposes for clients and my own websites, but if you have a decent social network of young students etc looking for work they can do while they're in school, then it might be worth it for you to think about.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819214].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bnwebm
      I have bachelor's and master's degrees. Freewrite? Do you mean an article on a topic that doesn't require a particularly high amount of research? If so, a well written, grammatically correct 500 word article with 1.5 to 2% keyword density should run you $10-$15 and should include at least one revision. If you're looking for more intensive, intricate writing on a lesser known topic or a more detailed topic, $20-$50 for 500 words and definitely a revision or two, to meet your expectations. YMMV, this is just based on my experiences with a variety of clients.

      Originally Posted by smoh View Post

      Curious as to how much people charge for 150, 300 and 450 word articles freewrite. I have my own network of writers who are all College/University grads but not sure how much I should be paying.

      You can start your own as well. I did it simply for my own purposes for clients and my own websites, but if you have a decent social network of young students etc looking for work they can do while they're in school, then it might be worth it for you to think about.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3819278].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tess47
      Originally Posted by smoh View Post

      Curious as to how much people charge for 150, 300 and 450 word articles freewrite. I have my own network of writers who are all College/University grads but not sure how much I should be paying.
      I charge .03 per word, so that would be $4.50 (150 words), $9.00 (300 words) and $13.50 (450 words). That rate works well for me, as I can typically write 2 to 3 500 word articles in an hour.

      This equates to $30 - $45/hour for me, but much of what a writer charges should include how much time is necessary to research and write a good article.
      Signature

      Tess
      Ghostwriting Services - Exceptional Content With An SEO Twist!
      Internet Marketing Tips - Straight Talk Marketing! Is Success on YOUR Horizon?
      Content Writing Services - Great. Content. Period.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3827499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author arabmoney
    check out fiverr, i think you will like this one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3820696].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pmbrent
    Try looking on craigslist under gigs.
    Signature
    Who Else Wants to Learn Everything About QR Codes AND How to Make From Them?

    Special WSO Price!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3820775].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tarsha
    Michelle, I got your PM but my post count is not high enough to reply. You can contact me on twitter if you're on there.
    Signature
    To be a poor man is hard, but to be a poor race in a land of dollars is the very bottom of hardships.
    - W.E.B. DuBois
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3820863].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author corsleymaxwell
    If you really need a job. You should have a patient OK?

    Online Jobs - Helping You Work from Home since 1998
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3820917].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author meetmanan
    You can find in Warrior Forum, looking for hire you sections but you should meet forum post/submissions rules for it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3822702].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    warrior forum and craigslist.

    Make sure you keep a list of your clients and offer 50% off deals, two for ones and use a bit of marketing.

    Just because you are offering a service do not make it a once off. Repeat customers is teh way to true wealth.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3827876].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author herb44
    Fazal-
    believe it or not I know of local corporate banks that hire freelance writers. Why? They outsource their inn-house publications-nothing secret just adverts for the company. They pay per piece-pay pretty well. usually it is less than twenty hours a week and you get paid close to four hundred to six hundred bucks. I know chase as well as well fargo does this. They don't pay the healthcare and you get steady work. hope this helps
    Signature
    Helping your site explode with traffic
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3827937].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmandaT
    Lots of nice sites here I hadn't seen before! Textbroker is okay but if you can't get get to level 4 the pay is really bad, 1 cent per word or less. I have had my best luck with private clients. I have met a few through WF in my time here. In fact, as soon as my thread gets approved I will have a thread up in Warriors for Hire instead of just directing people to my site in my sig!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3828254].message }}

Trending Topics