Is Your 'From' Address Triggering Spam Filters?

by Zeus66
26 replies
Well, I learned something today...

A lot of my emails to my opt-in list were ending up in spam folders. These are emails sent through Constant Contact and also Aweber. I'm a pretty thorough guy when it comes to figuring out causes, and I learned something that might affect some of you (not many, but possibly some), so I'm passing it along.

One of the spam triggers is having too many consecutive consonants in your 'From' and/or 'Reply To' email addresses in the header of your outgoing emails. Seems this is a common tactic used by spammers who make up bogus email addresses. They use things like: xxxyglgidlaggd@whatever.com

Well, lucky me. My name is John Schwartz and my email is: johnbschwartz@gmail.com. See all those consonants in a row? Yep. It was making my outgoing emails a lot more likely to trip spam filters.

D'oh!

So, I've fixed that problem. Haven't tested to see if it makes any difference, but I figured it might apply to some of you guys and gals, so wanted to pass it along.

Happy Trails!

John
#address #email #filters #spam #triggering
  • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
    I always wondered about some of the unusual email names from
    the spam people. Now it makes sense.

    But, I do get emails from xxxyglgidlaggd@whatever.com. I never
    imagined it was from you, John.


    Ken
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3838647].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lloyd Buchinski
    Originally Posted by Zeus66 View Post

    I'm a pretty thorough guy
    And I enjoy that.

    So I guess you changed your middle name and you are now johnaschwartz@gmail.com? That'll learn them to mess with you.
    Signature

    Do something spectacular; be fulfilled. Then you can be your own hero. Prem Rawat

    The KimW WSO

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3839630].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zach Crawley
    Thanks for the info. Lucky mine only has 3 consonants in a row ..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3839800].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bill Farnham
      Originally Posted by zachcrawley View Post

      Thanks for the info. Lucky mine only has 3 consonants in a row ..
      chcr...My math skills suck...

      John,

      Change your last name to Smith. Those emails always go through...

      ~Bill
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3839814].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Zach Crawley
        Originally Posted by Bill Farnham View Post

        chcr...My math skills suck...

        John,

        Change you last name to Smith. Those emails always go through...

        ~Bill
        haha. Got me there, I forgot R was one. :rolleyes:
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3839821].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
        Originally Posted by Bill Farnham View Post

        Change your last name to Smith.
        A better option would be Black.

        John B. Black - and only 5 consonants
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3842616].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Bill Farnham
          Originally Posted by Istvan Horvath View Post

          A better option would be Black.

          John B. Black - and only 5 consonants
          Istvan,

          An even better one would be Bald, n'est-ce pas?

          John B. Bald - and only 4 consonants

          ~Bill


          (Luv ya Zeus )
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3842898].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Coach Louisa
    Very interesting. Let us know how it goes after you "fix" it.
    Thanks for sharing!

    Louisa
    Signature

    Visit new website at http://www.LouisaChan.com
    and join me for Free Tutorial at YouTube Louisa Chan

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3840009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zeus66
    Just an update from the Spam Assassin Wiki page that explains how this risk factor is triggered: Rules/FROM_LOCAL_NOVOWEL - Spamassassin Wiki

    It has to be at least 7 consecutive consonants in the portion of your email address before the @ sign (localpart). Mine just happened to be exactly 7. Lucky me!

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3840110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author entry
    Originally Posted by Zeus66 View Post

    Well, I learned something today...

    A lot of my emails to my opt-in list were ending up in spam folders. These are emails sent through Constant Contact and also Aweber. I'm a pretty thorough guy when it comes to figuring out causes, and I learned something that might affect some of you (not many, but possibly some), so I'm passing it along.

    One of the spam triggers is having too many consecutive consonants in your 'From' and/or 'Reply To' email addresses in the header of your outgoing emails. Seems this is a common tactic used by spammers who make up bogus email addresses. They use things like: xxxyglgidlaggd@whatever.com

    Well, lucky me. My name is John Schwartz and my email is: johnbschwartz@gmail.com. See all those consonants in a row? Yep. It was making my outgoing emails a lot more likely to trip spam filters.

    D'oh!

    So, I've fixed that problem. Haven't tested to see if it makes any difference, but I figured it might apply to some of you guys and gals, so wanted to pass it along.

    Happy Trails!

    John

    So does that mean we have to make our aweber emails NOT xxxyglgidlaggd@whatever.com?

    or xyentry34astw@aweber.com?

    a} Where do we change this 'from' address, on our aweber lists?
    is it on the LIST settings?

    b} and if we include a NON spammy address, how about
    Support@UrLName.com?
    Signature
    I Have to say a Massive...THANK YOU to every Warrior who has helped me, and thanks to every warrior who helps me in the future...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3841340].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iSoftware
      Moral of the story?
      1. we all need to be more proactive about gettign whitelisted
      2. build a mobile list to avoid spam filters - lol


      nice tip though....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3841444].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Zeus66
      Originally Posted by entry View Post


      So does that mean we have to make our aweber emails NOT xxxyglgidlaggd@whatever.com?

      or xyentry34astw@aweber.com?

      a} Where do we change this 'from' address, on our aweber lists?
      is it on the LIST settings?

      b} and if we include a NON spammy address, how about
      Support@UrLName.com?
      It's pretty clear. You do NOT want any 'From' or 'Reply To' address you use to have 7 or more consecutive consonants before the @ sign.

      xyentry34astw does not count because there are not 7 or more consecutive consonants.

      The other questions are all answerable within your Aweber account. Learn how it works.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3841885].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author entry
        Originally Posted by Zeus66 View Post

        It's pretty clear. You do NOT want any 'From' or 'Reply To' address you use to have 7 or more consecutive consonants before the @ sign.

        xyentry34astw does not count because there are not 7 or more consecutive consonants.

        The other questions are all answerable within your Aweber account. Learn how it works.
        so Support@UrLName.com? is ok,

        as Support = 7 letters. right ?
        Signature
        I Have to say a Massive...THANK YOU to every Warrior who has helped me, and thanks to every warrior who helps me in the future...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3842586].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Michael Shook
          Originally Posted by entry View Post

          so Support@UrLName.com? is ok,

          as Support = 7 letters. right ?
          Don't use the word 'support" unless you are actually giving support.

          The OP was about consonants in a row.

          The reason their are so many spam from addresses with all those consonants in a row is because there are so many more consonants in English than ther are vowels. The auto text generators pick relatively randomly and so they wind up picking consonants more often in the long run.
          Signature


          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3842854].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Shook
      Originally Posted by entry View Post


      So does that mean we have to make our aweber emails NOT xxxyglgidlaggd@whatever.com?

      or xyentry34astw@aweber.com?

      a} Where do we change this 'from' address, on our aweber lists?
      is it on the LIST settings?

      b} and if we include a NON spammy address, how about
      Support@UrLName.com?

      List settings on the first screen.

      IMO if you are doing anything except sending emails about support, for instance if you are trying to sell something to your list subscribers, don't use "support" as your from address or your name in the from field.
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3842842].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author entry
        Originally Posted by JMichaelZ View Post

        List settings on the first screen.

        IMO if you are doing anything except sending emails about support, for instance if you are trying to sell something to your list subscribers, don't use "support" as your from address or your name in the from field.

        Is including 'support' seen as a spam email address, by the filters atal?

        or it is just that, if you Dont offer support, but you have it in the email, then it looks odd?
        Signature
        I Have to say a Massive...THANK YOU to every Warrior who has helped me, and thanks to every warrior who helps me in the future...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3845287].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
          Originally Posted by entry View Post


          Is including 'support' seen as a spam email address, by the filters atal?

          or it is just that, if you Dont offer support, but you have it in the email, then it looks odd?
          Entry,

          This is about having 7 of the following letters, which are consonants, all consecutively before the @ part of your email address.

          B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, V, X, Z
          So if you had bcdfghj@, you would need to change this.

          I think you're over thinking the support issue.
          Signature

          Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3845320].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Originally Posted by Zeus66 View Post

    One of the spam triggers is having too many consecutive consonants in your 'From' and/or 'Reply To' email addresses in the header of your outgoing emails. Seems this is a common tactic used by spammers who make up bogus email addresses. They use things like: xxxyglgidlaggd@whatever.com
    This might explain why there are so few successful email marketers from Wales.


    Fraaaaaank
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3842921].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zeus66
    FOLLOW UP...

    OK, sent my first email today after fixing this problem, and I can safely report that my emails were definitely being spam filtered before. The floodgates have opened today. WOO HOO!

    So, to recap...

    1. Slap your parents around if they gave you a name with too few vowels.

    2. Be sure your email address doesn't have 7 or more consonants in a row before the @ sign or you'll trip Gmail's spam filter (at least... could be the same at other providers too).

    3. Don't hate me because bald is beautiful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3842966].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
      Originally Posted by Zeus66 View Post

      So, to recap...

      1. Slap your parents around if they gave you a name with too few vowels.

      2. Be sure your email address doesn't have 7 or more consonants in a row before the @ sign or you'll trip Gmail's spam filter (at least... could be the same at other providers too).

      3. Don't hate me because bald is beautiful.
      Good advice.

      And, if you must correspond with Superman villains, add Mr Mxyzptlk to your whitelist.




      Frank
      Signature
      TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3843000].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author entry
      Originally Posted by Zeus66 View Post

      FOLLOW UP...

      OK, sent my first email today after fixing this problem, and I can safely report that my emails were definitely being spam filtered before. The floodgates have opened today. WOO HOO!

      So, to recap...

      1. Slap your parents around if they gave you a name with too few vowels.

      2. Be sure your email address doesn't have 7 or more consonants in a row before the @ sign or you'll trip Gmail's spam filter (at least... could be the same at other providers too).

      3. Don't hate me because bald is beautiful.
      so no 7 consonants in a row,

      But the gurus emails which are getting in our spam Gmail folders, they dont have 7 consonants, so where are they going wrong?

      {besides gmails filters getting tougher},?
      Signature
      I Have to say a Massive...THANK YOU to every Warrior who has helped me, and thanks to every warrior who helps me in the future...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3846251].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Zeus66
        Originally Posted by entry View Post

        so no 7 consonants in a row,

        But the gurus emails which are getting in our spam Gmail folders, they dont have 7 consonants, so where are they going wrong?

        {besides gmails filters getting tougher},?
        There are a ton of "rules" that are coded into the various spam detection software programs. They get "smarter" all the time, too. What words you use in your subject line and in the body of the email have a lot to do with it. For example, the other day I tripped a spam checker at my autoresponder because I mentioned in the body of the email that the product I was promoting that day has a money back guarantee. The phrase "money back guarantee" was flagged as commonly use by spammers. That's just one example of many that you can inadvertently put in an email to cause problems.

        I changed money back guarantee to refund guarantee, by the way, and it was fine. Go figure.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3846399].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eric Lorence
    I imagine the "@gmail" part doesn't help much either, I would use a private domain addy for business - more professional IMO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3843694].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    Hey thanks for brining this up, and timely too, as one of my ar software hosts has just reminded me of the same thing.

    might have to check this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3845851].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Derek Soto
    you just may have increased my delivery rate by leaps and bounds, thanks!
    Signature

    Discover How to Create a Brand New $300 Income Stream Every Single Day! Click Here Before Sold Out <--------------------

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3847141].message }}

Trending Topics