Please help me guys, how to evaluate my domain name?

by sam770
16 replies
Guys,
One of the domains I own is ContentMaster.net
I offer it for sale.
Recently few people offer to buy it but I dont really know how much to ask for it.
On one hand I know that its a good domain (can be perfect for content related companies) and I definitely want to get a good price for it, but on the other hand, I know that if I insist on a price that is too high no one will buy.

So, is there really a good way to estimate a value of a domain name? :confused:
Maybe there is a software that can do the estimation?
#domain #evaluate
  • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
    Hi Sam,

    I think most people will tell you it's worth what somemone pays for it.

    The trouble with all domains is they're worth so much more to some people than others.

    There are places that "evaluate" the domains but they're invariably flawed and not much use.

    I'd look at finding people who are relevant to the domain and ask them what they'd expect to pay.

    Sbucciarel (Suzanne) knows a lot about domain flipping, it would be worth asking her if she knows of a good place.
    Signature

    Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3870347].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sam770
      Thanks for that Richard

      Originally Posted by Richard Van View Post

      Hi Sam,

      I think most people will tell you it's worth what somemone pays for it.

      The trouble with all domains is they're worth so much more to some people than others.

      There are places that "evaluate" the domains but they're invariably flawed and not much use.

      I'd look at finding people who are relevant to the domain and ask them what they'd expect to pay.

      Sbucciarel (Suzanne) knows a lot about domain flipping, it would be worth asking her if she knows of a good place.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3871004].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gene Pimentel
    The best way to determine a fair market price for any domain is to compare it with other similar domains that have already sold.

    Here are a few comparable domains that have sold:

    ContentManagement.net $1,250
    SoundMaster.net $1,400
    LinkMaster.net $588
    PriceMaster.net $516
    FreeContent.net $1,450
    WineMaster.net $1,888

    Use that as a rough guideline of what to expect. Understand, though, that if you did extensive research to find highly targeted prospects, you can get a better than average price. If you simply throw it out there and list it for sale, expect a lower than average price.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3870761].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sam770
      Gene,
      I think that my domain worth more than 1000$-2000$ but the idea is clear!
      By the way, I love, simply love your domain flipping system that I got in the war room
      Its a very creative way to make $ on the local market

      Originally Posted by Gene Pimentel View Post

      The best way to determine a fair market price for any domain is to compare it with other similar domains that have already sold.

      Here are a few comparable domains that have sold:

      ContentManagement.net $1,250
      SoundMaster.net $1,400
      LinkMaster.net $588
      PriceMaster.net $516
      FreeContent.net $1,450
      WineMaster.net $1,888

      Use that as a rough guideline of what to expect. Understand, though, that if you did extensive research to find highly targeted prospects, you can get a better than average price. If you simply throw it out there and list it for sale, expect a lower than average price.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3871045].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Gene Pimentel
        Originally Posted by sam770 View Post

        Gene,
        I think that my domain worth more than 1000$-2000$
        I agree completely -- but as I mentioned, the amount you can actually sell it for is determined by your ability to target the right buyers. I personally would hold this domain for something in the 4k range.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3871173].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sam770
          4k sounds more realistic

          Originally Posted by Gene Pimentel View Post

          I agree completely -- but as I mentioned, the amount you can actually sell it for is determined by your ability to target the right buyers. I personally would hold this domain for something in the 4k range.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3874439].message }}
        • That makes sense, Gene - can you give some tips on finding a buyer for those kinds of domain. I registered a domain at OfflineMaster.com a long time ago, and then I just let it go because I tried to auction it and there was no interest. I can see the value in targeting specific buyers, but I'm not quite sure where I'd start...

          cheers,
          James
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4006268].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Gene Pimentel
            Originally Posted by dru-man View Post

            That makes sense, Gene - can you give some tips on finding a buyer for those kinds of domain. I registered a domain at OfflineMaster.com a long time ago, and then I just let it go because I tried to auction it and there was no interest. I can see the value in targeting specific buyers, but I'm not quite sure where I'd start...

            cheers,
            James
            James, there's a lot more to it than I can explain here, but the best tip I can give you is to search out businesses that are paying a minimum of $1 on CPC, on the exact keywords used in your domain.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4006375].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author luzern
      Originally Posted by Gene Pimentel View Post

      The best way to determine a fair market price for any domain is to compare it with other similar domains that have already sold.

      Here are a few comparable domains that have sold:

      ContentManagement.net $1,250
      SoundMaster.net $1,400
      LinkMaster.net $588
      PriceMaster.net $516
      FreeContent.net $1,450
      WineMaster.net $1,888

      Use that as a rough guideline of what to expect. Understand, though, that if you did extensive research to find highly targeted prospects, you can get a better than average price. If you simply throw it out there and list it for sale, expect a lower than average price.
      How about the domain backlinks and PR? Did you just sell "name" or name with backlinks and PR also?
      Signature

      -.-

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4006237].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Gene Pimentel
        Originally Posted by luzern View Post

        How about the domain backlinks and PR? Did you just sell "name" or name with backlinks and PR also?
        Those are comps, sold by someone else. But to answer your main question, I sell my domains as domains ONLY. No PR, no backlinks, no traffic, no website.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4006366].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author omk
    Your domain is the type of domain where you wouldn't necessarily want there to be a .com with the same name. I just checked online and there is a .com with that same name, that deals with the same type of business that u would probably get into with such a name. So, because of that, the value drops way down right off the bat.

    This means that if somebody wanted to start a legit business, they could not also register the .com as well.

    This would not be a site I could build a long lasting business off of due to the .com version being owned by someone else in the same type of business.

    .net domains having a .com version, are okay if it is more of a throw away site, or a site that you just want to build traffic off of. That being said, I think that you should try and sell this .net domain to a marketer that would understand this, rather than a regular business person that would have an issue with there being a .com with the same name, in the same type of business.

    As to how much to sell it for? Since it has nothing on it and currently does not make money. You would have to do some research and find out approximately how much money similar names, in similar verticals are worth. Also you may try getting it appraised by folks in the domaining arena to give you an idea of how much it could be worth.

    My tip is to try and sell it for as much as you can, always guaging people's reaction in order to try and get a feel if you are in the right ballpark.

    That said, I think you could get as much as $500-1,000 easy - if u find the right buyer and present them with enough data as to why this domain is worth that much.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3870799].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hireseoexpert
    To evaluate or establish domain names you can use free Keyword suggestion tools.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3972055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author drvosjeca
    i have domaine name with .net and .org extension which i would like to sell.
    Domain is related to adsense earning.

    My question is where is the best place to try selling them???
    Signature

    Buy ZennoPoster HERE, and GET Zenno PRO Skype Support | This is Taekwondo club im training in.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4005841].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ghostrecon
    If it's a valuable domain, you can try SEDO. If it's a sub-value name sell it at DP or at Namepros.
    Signature

    PinPioneer.com - Proprietary Pinterest Marketing Software
    1000 Pins Uploaded PER Hour
    Use code: WFPioneer
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4006289].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Originally Posted by sam770 View Post

    Guys,
    One of the domains I own is ContentMaster.net
    I offer it for sale.
    Recently few people offer to buy it but I dont really know how much to ask for it.
    On one hand I know that its a good domain (can be perfect for content related companies) and I definitely want to get a good price for it, but on the other hand, I know that if I insist on a price that is too high no one will buy.

    So, is there really a good way to estimate a value of a domain name? :confused:
    Maybe there is a software that can do the estimation?

    The way I approach it when I could possibly have several people interested is to send an email to each saying that this domain is for sale and then highlight some benefits of the domain ... and tell them you are currently accepting offers for the domain. Then you might get an idea of the ballpark figure they are willing to pay.

    I know some people get offers for domains that would result in a good profit for them, but hold out for a "much higher" price and end up not selling the domain.

    There is actually no way to estimate the value. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If it had a site and traffic stats, and position in serps, that would also be a factor to take into consideration.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4006502].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexis Wilke
    That was a very interesting read. I'm actually on the other side of the fence and I also feel like it's difficult to view the value of a domain name at the time of purchase. I've seen many sites that set a value on a domain name. Even seen one that tells me that drupal.org is worth US $1.7 trillion. Sure, yeah... 8-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6846768].message }}

Trending Topics