Best domain suffix?

by Michael Motley 27 replies
Hi all. I've been out of the loop for a bit so please pardon my knuckleheadedness. I'm gathering info for a niche site and I'm looking at domains right now. To me, when choosing a domain name the rank has always been: .com, .net, .org for the top 3 in that order. Can anyone tell me if .co domains would have more pull than a .net but less than a .co when it comes to search engines?

Yeah, i know its splitting hairs...damn near splitting follicles, but I'm being thorough in the process and waiting for coffee to be done.
#main internet marketing discussion forum #domain #suffix
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Meharis
    Originally Posted by Michael Motley View Post

    Hi all. I've been out of the loop for a bit so please pardon my knuckleheadedness. I'm gathering info for a niche site and I'm looking at domains right now. To me, when choosing a domain name the rank has always been: .com, .net, .org for the top 3 in that order. Can anyone tell me if .co domains would have more pull than a .net but less than a .co when it comes to search engines?

    Yeah, i know its splitting hairs...damn near splitting follicles, but I'm being thorough in the process and waiting for coffee to be done.
    I personally go for .com, .net and .org in that order.
    I believe they will remain that way for long time to come.
    However, if I find an excellent domain .biz or .US, I'll go for it.
    Regarding .co for the Colombian country, at this moment for
    what I've seen, I don't care to purchase this domain extension.
    Meharis
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3884388].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeremy Barker
    Different people will tell you different things and I have only had .com suffixes. I believe that if you are an entrepreneur online and are working for yourself the .com is a good suffix to have.

    If your site is about some type of "information only", you can always use the .info.

    It really depends on what your site is about.

    One good practice is to get the .com and then if you have the funds, go ahead and buy the other suffixes for your domain name also. Then you can redirect the suffixes that you are not using to your .com suffix domain.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3884467].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Miguel Oliveira
    I always go with .com I prefer to toy around with the keyword until I find one that is available but still features the main targeted keyword. However I like to build value and updated websites where visitors tend to come back and I choose .com because people tend to remember the name of your website and then add the .com. Since most traffic for most people comes from search engines I guess .net and .org could be just as good, although .com seems to pop up a lot more on the top results...
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3884860].message }}
  • This has been discussed at least a half dozen times in different threads in the past 2 weeks. Feel free to use the Search function to look them up.

    The bottom line is you're always going to have half the people saying definitely get the .com, and the other half saying it's not a necessity. There are advantages to having a .com, but it's not necessary.

    Just make a decision and do it.

    My personal opinion is I don't think search engines give a rat's a@@ what TLD you use. A good keyword(s) in the domain definitely helps, but the TLD doesn't mean a thing.

    As far as .com' "ruling" the top spots, that's probably because .com's have been around forever, whereas .info, .us, and such are still relatively new.

    I can give you a whole list of keywords to check out that you won't find a .com anywhere near.

    I also don't believe most people have trouble remembering the difference between .com or .info. Something I always hear here is, if you're having trouble finding a good .com, just add a letter to it. OK, so 'keyword' becomes 'keywordv'. First, you just blew your keyword. Second, no one can tell me that the average person would remember 'keywordv.com' before they would 'keyword.us'. If some people would forget to enter .info instead of .com, then those same people would also enter 'keyword.com' instead of 'keywordv.com', so you're still losing the same people.

    I really don't think many people type in url's anymore, anyway. Search engines, links, and bookmarks are my biggest way of getting visitors.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3884892].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author howinfo
    Originally Posted by Michael Motley View Post

    Can anyone tell me if .co domains would have more pull than a .net but less than a .co when it comes to search engines.
    .co originally for Columbia is now considered as a top level domain so it would rank as good as any other TLD. Domain extension itself wont give you any ‘pull’ in search engines, it all depends on your SEO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3884993].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author warhammer
      Originally Posted by howinfo View Post

      .co originally for Columbia is now considered as a top level domain so it would rank as good as any other TLD. Domain extension itself wont give you any ‘pull’ in search engines, it all depends on your SEO.
      I agree. I've just found out that a .CO outranks juegos.com for "juegos" on Google India.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3936237].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Domainate
        Originally Posted by warhammer View Post

        I agree. I've just found out that a .CO outranks juegos.com for "juegos" on Google India.
        Doesn't for me - both on regular Google and Google India, Juegos.com is #1 and Juegos.co is nowhere to be seen.

        To answer the OPs question, .com, .net, and .org, followed by everything else. Those are the 3 most established extensions and SEOMoz among other SEO blogs have attested to the fact that they rank better than everything else.
        Signature
        ===> COMING SOON: The Ultimate Guide to Finding the Perfect Domain. ***PM for details***
        Want to make a living with domains? Domain Boot Camp Online coming soon!
        Join the Doma.in Newsletter for special domain sales and free domain training!
        >> Have a list? Deliver more through our Listcast service or clean it to please your autoresponder with ELC.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3937663].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author warhammer
          Originally Posted by Nametrader.com View Post

          Doesn't for me - both on regular Google and Google India, Juegos.com is #1 and Juegos.co is nowhere to be seen.

          To answer the OPs question, .com, .net, and .org, followed by everything else. Those are the 3 most established extensions and SEOMoz among other SEO blogs have attested to the fact that they rank better than everything else.
          I've attached a snapshot of what I see for the above search (unfortunately I couldn't upload the full image since the maximum size allowed by WF is 620x280).
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3937918].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Thomas Smale
          Originally Posted by Nametrader.com View Post

          To answer the OPs question, .com, .net, and .org, followed by everything else. Those are the 3 most established extensions and SEOMoz among other SEO blogs have attested to the fact that they rank better than everything else.
          I'm sorry, but that is complete bull****. Why would a search engine "rank" certain TLDs higher (all other variables being equal)?

          There may well be more .com's at #1 than anything else, but that doesn't mean they rank better.

          I have plenty of .infos and other extensions ranking #1 for some very competitive keywords.
          Signature
          I specialize in selling websites over $10,000 in value. No obligation, confidential valuation here.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938886].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author warhammer
          Originally Posted by Nametrader.com View Post

          Doesn't for me - both on regular Google and Google India, Juegos.com is #1 and Juegos.co is nowhere to be seen.

          To answer the OPs question, .com, .net, and .org, followed by everything else. Those are the 3 most established extensions and SEOMoz among other SEO blogs have attested to the fact that they rank better than everything else.
          Please try searching for the exact match on Google.com (international version) and tell me if you see it now.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3941895].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thegotoguy
    I have to agree with most everyone else. .com is the way to go. I heard about a month ago that combination's of domain names are getting thin. So I guess in the near future, it'll be nearly impossible to get domains unless they start adding more suffixes. Just thought I'd mention that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3937945].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
    Just get the .com and stop over thinking it. Dot-com is for business and commercial entities, you are a commercial entity right?

    If not maybe your an organization? Well they have a dot-org for that. Get the dot-net if the .com is not available, or if your relying on traffic from google get the dot-com with dashes in between the keywords.
    Signature
    You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3937962].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author warhammer
      Originally Posted by BloggingPro View Post

      Just get the .com and stop over thinking it. Dot-com is for business and commercial entities, you are a commercial entity right?

      If not maybe your an organization? Well they have a dot-org for that. Get the dot-net if the .com is not available, or if your relying on traffic from google get the dot-com with dashes in between the keywords.
      Good luck finding an available .com...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938337].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
        Originally Posted by warhammer View Post

        Good luck finding an available .com...
        I must be one lucky duck because I always find a .com. Sometimes I have to put a dash in there, but its still a dot-com. Don't let the small details hold back your business ideas. This, my friends IS a small detail!
        Signature
        You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938373].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thegotoguy
    @BloggingPro Good advice. And the keyword density of a relatively picked domain name is important. But are the dashes really necessary? I've heard both sides of the story on that. Never got a clear answer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938022].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
      Originally Posted by thegotoguy View Post

      @BloggingPro Good advice. And the keyword density of a relatively picked domain name is important. But are the dashes really necessary? I've heard both sides of the story on that. Never got a clear answer.
      If you need an exact match domain and all the .com's are without dashes are taken, then yes getting a .com with dashes is the next logical progression.

      Dashes are only a detriment to your domain name if you plan to brand your name outside of the search engines. God forbid someone types in the domain without the dashes and ends up at a competitor!
      Signature
      You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
    Two ideas for debate:

    1/ Today I saw a .NET ranking top 3 for a major keyword. In fact, that exact site is ranking Top 10 for ages now.

    2/ Today I bought a .COM at Namecheap for one of the best keywords ever (Portuguese market, but definitely one of those names you think "oh it's registered since 1999..."). Who would have thought of that?

    Discuss.
    Signature
    People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mohit Anand
    I always prefer .com. However, if the niche is related to the internet, like "work online from home", I don't mind going for the .net.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thegotoguy
    Absolutely.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938589].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shazia Mirza
    I would say .com for sure. Many have a mindset that all websites end with .com, so if you say that "my website is blahblah.org" they will go home and type in blahblah.com.

    Just my 2 cents.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938607].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thegotoguy
      Originally Posted by IMReview View Post

      I would say .com for sure. Many have a mindset that all websites end with .com, so if you say that "my website is blahblah.org" they will go home and type in blahblah.com.

      Just my 2 cents.
      You make a great point. Too bad most of the best .com's are taken or are being shark tanked by domain name whores.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938643].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smith33122
    I went for .TV as most of our pages have video on
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Peter Gehr
    Rule of thumb:

    .com
    .net
    .org

    Due to the fact that these are the most recognized, if you have the option, .com is definitely my first choice. Having said that, one of my sites in particular is a .net and someone else purchased the domain of the same name in .org and the .org is ranking much higher than the .net.

    I think it totally depends on your content, quality of backlinks and the effort you've put into your site. However, it's hard to out-rank a .com if all of the above has been achieved.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author greaywhite
    The best of the Domain suffix is as under,
    1) .ac
    2) .ad
    3) .arpa
    4) .ca
    5) .edu
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938756].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thegotoguy
    @Peter Gehr I agree. And sites are also ranked by age as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicolas simpson
    for me its .com, .net, .org, .us, .biz. ........... .edu and .uk.co is not bad as well then again it depend on your niche type.
    Signature
    Discover Reggae | Dancehall [Jamaica]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938890].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics