I Hate to say it, But I'm Looking for $3 Dollar Article Writers

91 replies
Yes, it's a tough economy and people don't have as much disposable income as they used to (including myself). I know many warriors don't write for less than $8 dollars per article but you have to understand that sometimes you just have to adjust your prices with the times. Again, some people may be affected while others may not.

I'm looking for anyone who is willing to write (350-450 word) articles for $3 bucks a pop. I need about 150 articles. If I like your work, I'll hire you for an additional 250 articles. The articles are in an easy niche and they're mostly based on your personal views and experiences. So pumping these babies out should be fairly easy.

If you're remotely interested please don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks.
#article #dollar #hate #writers
  • Profile picture of the author Bev Clement
    Originally Posted by mix_daylee View Post

    Yes, it's a tough economy and people don't have as much disposable income as they used to (including myself). I know many warriors don't write for less than $8 dollars per article but you have to understand that sometimes you just have to adjust your prices with the times. Again, some people may be affected while others may not.

    I'm looking for anyone who is willing to write (350-450 word) articles for $3 bucks a pop. I need about 150 articles. If I like your work, I'll hire you for an additional 250 articles. The articles are in an easy niche and they're mostly based on your personal views and experiences. So pumping these babies out should be fairly easy.

    If you're remotely interested please don't hesitate to PM me.

    Thanks.
    Yes, it's a tough economy, and there are a lot of people with disposable income, who are willing and do pay high prices for writers.

    Have all the top hotel, restaurants, car dealership etc closed because of the economy? No, they continue to do what they always do, sell high price quality goods. The cheap versions of these types of businesses continue to do what they do, sell cheap.

    The same is true online, there is room for all levels of services, and service providers don't have to drop their prices because of the economy.

    If it is that easy to write these articles why don't you write them yourself and save your money? That would make more sense.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349761].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mix_daylee
      Originally Posted by Bev Clement View Post

      Yes, it's a tough economy, and there are a lot of people with disposable income, who are willing and do pay high prices for writers.

      Have all the top hotel, restaurants, car dealership etc closed because of the economy? No, they continue to do what they always do, sell high price quality goods. The cheap versions of these types of businesses continue to do what they do, sell cheap.

      The same is true online, there is room for all levels of services, and service providers don't have to drop their prices because of the economy.

      If it is that easy to write these articles why don't you write them yourself and save your money? That would make more sense.
      1. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people with disposable income out there. But that's not the case with everyone. Even millionaires are cutting back on their spending. Eventually it will trickly down to the IM community.

      2. Have all the top hotel, restaurants, car dealership etc closed because of the economy? No, they continue to do what they always do, sell high price quality goods.

      True, but they don't sell as much as they used to. Therefore they have to layoff people and cut down on other spending such as advertising and employee bonuses. At the end of the day they have to find creative ways to stimulate their business and this usually involves reducing their prices or just giving real good deals.

      3.The same is true online, there is room for all levels of services, and service providers don't have to drop their prices because of the economy.

      Again, basic supply and demand. Just look at oil and gas prices. Better yet, do some research on macro economics.

      4. If it is that easy to write these articles why don't you write them yourself and save your money? That would make more sense.

      Uhhmmm...it's called outsourcing. It enables you to multi-task more effeciently.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349802].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Lance K
        If you truly believe you're going to get quality articles written for $3 now, then why haven't you been doing it in the past?
        Signature
        "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
        ~ Zig Ziglar
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350513].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kay King
          If you are willing to pay $3 - and someone is willing to write articles for $3 - and the result is acceptable to you....where is the problem?

          If Winson's articles are anything like his blog - I'd say you've found a winner.

          kay
          Signature
          Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

          I'm going to work on being less condescending
          (Condescending means to talk down to people)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350573].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author nursewriter
            Let me give you a peek inside the mindset of an article writer. I have written articles for $2.50 an article and I have written articles for $25 per article.


            When I was writing those $2.50 articles I was pumping them out as fast as I could. Obviously I received a heck of a lot of article orders at that price. I got burned out fast and the quality wasn't the best. I felt like my writing wasn't worth much anyway so why bother trying to make it great. I was only getting $2.50 for a 500 word article.

            Now fast forward a year. I have a certain client that pays me $25 per article. I spend a lot of time researching these articles. I will proofread and edit them several times before I send them. I will make sure that these articles flow well and that they are something that I am proud of. Why? Because I feel that she really values my efforts and I am not going to let her down by giving her crappy articles.

            I realize that not everyone will feel this way. Some people would take the $25 per article and still deliver crap because they really don't care.

            But I know for me, the more I get paid for an article, the better I will try to write.

            So it all depends on what you are looking for. If you want lower quality articles ....then pay low prices.

            If you are looking for quality, well researched articles....then you may have to shell out some cash.

            Here is another reminder. If you find a good article writer that always over delivers.....treat them well. Send them bonuses once in a while. Heck, even a Christmas card would be nice.

            Keep them happy and make them feel valued and they will bend over backwards to keep you happy.

            Lucinda
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350612].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Ryan Dodson
              Originally Posted by nursewriter View Post

              the more I get paid for an article, the better I will try to write.
              I know what you mean.

              When I gave everyone on my staff a raise, they all appreciated it by producing even better content than they did before.

              Money serves as a great motivator to get people to do their best.

              This fact is true for just about any job.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350683].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author nursewriter
                Originally Posted by Ryan Dodson View Post

                I know what you mean.

                When I gave everyone on my staff a raise, they all appreciated it by producing even better content than they did before.

                Money serves as a great motivator to get people to do their best.

                This fact is true for just about any job.
                Ryan,

                This is soooooo true. At my day job.... we have worked our tails off for the past year. We have done more work with less resources. The result...our non-profit hospital has been pulling in hundreds of thousands of dollars profit each month.

                So this is how they thanked us....they took away one of our sick days (we accumulate so many per hours worked) They stopped our longevity raises and went to pay per performance. They keep raising our insurance premiums.

                They keep insisting that we do more work with less staff.....which is a dangerous model when you are dealing with very sick patients.

                They are cutting the hours of the housekeeping staff at the beginning of the year. These people barely make minimum wage so kick them when they are down.


                But we all received a Christmas bonus this year......we received a whopping $25 certificate that very few businesses in our town will even honor............how's that for a big fat thank you!!!

                Now I probably don't need to tell you what the employees are thinking.

                But on a bright note the CEO and the CFO will still get their six figure salary. Whew....I was getting really worried about how they were going to make it.

                So do you think that the employees at my hospital are going to do their best when it comes to their job? Do you think that they feel like they are a valued member of the team?

                No, we feel like we are a liability instead of an asset. So when there are call offs and the floor needs help are they going to be able to find it? NO.

                Don't get me wrong....I will still do my best to care for my patients because they are not the ones at fault. But when it comes to the organization asking anything extra from me....they are not going to get it.

                So whenever you have employees working for you (this would include articles writers) try to remember that they are your most important asset. Treat them as such.

                Lucinda
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350728].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author adamv
                  Originally Posted by valerieSONORA View Post

                  You can clean a house, get paid $80 to clean it, takes 2 hours, that's $40 an hour.
                  When can I come over to clean your house?
                  ----------------

                  I think it would be great if we could all pay outsourced workers $150 an hour and still make a fortune with our businesses but I can't fault someone for wanting to cut expenses and if the writer sets the price why is it wrong for the buyer to pay $3 per article if that's what the seller is asking for?

                  I've never written articles for anyone else but before getting more involved in IM I was making my money as an artist and I did portraits for people. It takes me anywhere from 10 to 20 hours to complete a portrait and yet other people out there charge $35 for a portrait (and most of those look like crap). I was charging $300 to $500 depending on the size of the portrait.

                  When I wanted to get more customers I tried lowering my prices. I did a few portraits for $150 but I really didn't get any more clients than I had before. So I effectively gave myself a 50% pay cut on a few jobs. But I was the one that set the price and I don't feel that my clients were taking advantage of me because I set the price and I accepted the job.

                  If there were aweber alternatives that only charged $5 per month people would use them. If there were paypal alternatives that only charge .025% for processing people would use those. Maybe the service would suck but maybe it would be just as good or even better but you have a buyer and a seller agreeing on a price and I don't see anything wrong with it.

                  The point of this is:

                  For article writers: Charge what you believe you are worth and don't settle for anything less.

                  For article buyers: Try to get the best possible deal. If you can get good quality for $3 a piece get as many as you can before the gravy train goes away.

                  Just my 2 cents.
                  Signature

                  Get a professional voice over for your next audio or video project at an affordable price -- I will record 150 words of text for just $5.

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350908].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author TheRichJerksNet
            Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

            If you are willing to pay $3 - and someone is willing to write articles for $3 - and the result is acceptable to you....where is the problem?

            If Winson's articles are anything like his blog - I'd say you've found a winner.

            kay
            I 2nd that Kay .....

            I have not done so yet but I will be sending Winson a proposal... Sure I can write my own articles and some have been very pleased with them but I don't mind helping someone out either...

            James
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350685].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author moneycometh
      Originally Posted by Bev Clement View Post

      Yes, it's a tough economy, and there are a lot of people with disposable income, who are willing and do pay high prices for writers.

      Have all the top hotel, restaurants, car dealership etc closed because of the economy? No, they continue to do what they always do, sell high price quality goods. The cheap versions of these types of businesses continue to do what they do, sell cheap.

      The same is true online, there is room for all levels of services, and service providers don't have to drop their prices because of the economy.

      If it is that easy to write these articles why don't you write them yourself and save your money? That would make more sense.
      Great post! Article writing as some would like to make you through. I'm not saying it isn't doable, it just take some research and being a good word smith! I teaching myself, I must say it seems like I'm going at a snail's space.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Probb
    people write 350 word articles for 8 dollars?!! wow That sounds cheap... I dont pay my writers less than 150 lol I have been paying too much
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349763].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author valerieSONORA
    Erm, I hate to say it but you're probably on the wrong forum. You may have better luck on digitalpoint. Or ask Steven Wagenheim to write 450 word article for $3 LOL. I don't think anyone here writes for less than .01 a word.
    Signature

    siggy taking a break...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349771].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GeorgR.
      Originally Posted by valerieSONORA View Post

      Erm, I hate to say it but you're probably on the wrong forum. You may have better luck on digitalpoint. Or ask Steven Wagenheim to write 450 word article for $3 LOL. I don't think anyone here writes for less than .01 a word.
      roflmao
      Signature
      *** Affiliate Site Quick --> The Fastest & Easiest Way to Make Affiliate Sites!<--
      -> VISIT www.1UP-SEO.com *** <- Internet Marketing, SEO Tips, Reviews & More!! ***
      *** HIGH QUALITY CONTENT CREATION +++ Manual Article Spinning (Thread Here) ***
      Content Creation, Blogging, Articles, Converting Sales Copy, Reviews, Ebooks, Rewrites
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351840].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Probb
    I am not sure I am talking about the same articles you guys are? I pay writers for a topic that is researched written. For example: An article on why it is important to be hydrated.

    Bc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349774].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author utproducts
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349783].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lakshaybehl
        Originally Posted by qkz283 View Post

        Well, of course, all articles should be researched. Most people will write ~400 word articles for $5 to $10. If you were paying $150 for one of these, you got ripped off. Doesn't matter if the article was the best piece of literature in the history of writing.
        Each article has the potential to get you $1000 or more if it reaches the right audience is you do proper research...

        And for heaven's sake Reserach is not only about Keywords... Its about the mindset of your prospect... The thoughts and feelings of the majority of your readers.

        -Lakshay
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350411].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Probb
    guys... I am new here, so forgive me if I sound ignorant, but are you guys talking about an ARTICLE or just some mumbo jumbo for SEO? .01 a word is not worth anyones time???

    Bc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349776].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bev Clement
    Bc you will find that some people have been told that they can't get more than $0.01 because the person buying won't pay. It's not true, but say it often enough and people will believe it.

    There are a lot of people who get paid higher rates, for writing decent content.

    Many people write good researched articles for a lower price, because they chose to, but when I say lower price, I don't mean $8 or $3 an article.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Probb
    Thanks for clearing that up.. I thought I was losing my mind for a second, but am still shocked that people will write for even close to $8.00. I may pay a lot per article, but I like for things to be well researched and written and do not mind paying for having it done right. I couldnt stand to do it myself! haha

    Bc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349796].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheRichJerksNet
    Mix_Daylee,
    Try looking at the sig 3 articles for $10.45 - WarriorForum - Internet Marketing Forums - View Profile: WinsonYeung

    James
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349809].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RebeccaL
    I'll do it.... but they'll be 200 word articles. PM if interested
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349830].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Clemons
    Go to getafreelancer.com, but don't expect good English / quality for that cheap.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349834].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WinsonYeung
    Hi,
    I'm willing to write 3 articles for $10.45, check out my signature
    Signature
    [WSO of The Day] Discount How To Generate 172.56% Positive Return OR build your List for FREE!

    "Case Study: Discover You Can Make $1371.66 With A Simple Blog Post by Clicking Here"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349837].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MichaelJ168
      Originally Posted by WinsonYeung View Post

      Hi,
      I'm willing to write 3 articles for $10.45, check out my signature


      Hi Winson,

      I checked your website and your service is awesome!

      I will definitely use your service when I need articles.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349864].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author magentawave
      Originally Posted by WinsonYeung View Post

      Hi,
      I'm willing to write 3 articles for $10.45, check out my signature
      How many words each are those 3 articles for $10.45?

      How much do you charge per word to do rewrites of articles that I send you?

      Thanks
      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[368385].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349880].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jon Alexander
      why don't you just generate them yourself using contentboss? $3??? how about 30 CENTS???

      This is an example of what the new generation of content spinners / rewriters / wranglers do:-

      HOW TO SELECT A GOOD MORTGAGE LENDER

      Sometimes, it kind of feels like everybody wants to loan you money. Right now, despite the credit crunch, you are actually in the driving seat by going online for your mortgage, refinance, and consolidation wishes. But how does one select a lender? How does one select the right institution? How does one know who to trust? In this passing article, we are going to cover the straightforward, practical, and necessary key points that we feel you must guage, when exploring online banks.

      In the modern arena of ecommerce, it is necessary that all respectable companies respect your right to privacy so check for a posted PRIVACY POLICY, displayed prominently on the homepage of your potential banks site. Read it. Does it seem clever to you? Does it address how they are going to use your e-mail, your name, and your personal information? Do they ask for things that may appear irrational at this stage of the game? Be scared of requests for card numbers, social security numbers, and similar info that might not be suitable early on, for instance, when you're filling out the 1st, short form.

      But what if you have no money to put down? Here is where I show you a way to qualify yourself for a zero-down loan. The very first thing you want is your tri-merge credit report. Do a search on yahoo for terms like free credit reports, or tri-merge credit score. When you've found a good place to get your report, just ensure that you finish up pulling a tri-merge credit score on yourself, and not someone else of the same name. A tri-merged credit score pulls your credit profiles from the three major credit reporting corporations and combines it into 1 report. The great thing about pulling your credit yourself is that it won't have effects on your credit report.

      So what is your credit score? Most mortgage banks will use the middle of the 3 ('Tri') scores. E.g. your credit ratings are 570, 520, 590. The 570 will be used. Talk to a few banks, and then give yourself a pause to think on who provided the top deal, and, who could be the best and most acceptable to work with.

      Now it's time to think about Points, Costs, Terms and Rates. Get several offers from competing banks, and compare the nuts and bolts. Who offers you the best savings? Who appears just too low to believe? Who is way too high to consider? Try the current rates, and make some market comparisons. You can find this info at any search engine or at other credible internet site on the web. Comparison sites are useful - their technique is to supply recommendations to mortgage products permitting banks to qualify plenty of house buyers for low cost standard financing.

      First timer? Special case? There are mortgage programmes to permit banks to serve every requirement of first time home buyers, ladies, minorities, agricultural and inner town residents, singles and so on. One of the most preferred offerings is the Timely Rewards system. If you've got less than ideal credit, you may qualify for rates that are up to 2% below the sub-prime market, and the rate can reduce another 1% if you make your payments on schedule for the first 2 years. IRs will probably be rather higher for a 40-year mortgage than a 30-year mortgage, but the additional length of the loan term will keep the payments lower than with a normal mortgage. Possible buyers should bear in mind that they're going to pay more in interest on a 40-year mortgage than they'll on a normal 30-year note.

      Final points to consider - studies show conclusively that most house purchasers don't stay in their houses for anywhere near thirty years, not to mention forty. This being the case, the market for 40-year mortgages may remain reasonably tight. Apart from some buyers, it may mean the difference between continuing to rent an apartment and purchasing the home of their wildest fantasies.

      that's a free article btw. knock yourselves out.
      Signature
      http://www.contentboss.com - automated article rewriting software gives you unique content at a few CENTS per article!. New - Put text into jetspinner format automatically! http://www.autojetspinner.com

      PS my PM system is broken. Sorry I can't help anymore.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349907].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author angela99
      Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

      Article writing (or more appropriately, content writing) is not limited to a single, fixed market segment. There are segments that will only buy at $3 an article right on up to segments paying $50 an article or more with everything in between.

      I'll let you in on a little secret too - not every $50 article is well researched or even well written. Nor is every $3 article poorly researched and written in bad English. And vice versa.

      Price has absolutely no bearing on quality whatsoever. You won't be able to determine the quality of the writer until you hire them and see the results for yourself.

      I will say this though - if you're capable of good quality writing, then you should consider targeting those segments paying far more per article rather than feed the $3 an article market. Leave that to the cheep righters wo r stil lernin.

      On the other hand, the OP is doing nothing more than conducting his business wisely. He or she knows that they can find decent writers willing to jump on the price offered - that's smart business.
      Bravo, Big Mike. :-)

      Exactly. People pay what they pay -- every business has a budget. Huge corps are just as cheap, relatively speaking, as the humblest IMer. Just ask any magazine writer :-)

      If you're a writer, realize that YOU set your prices. Then you approach those businesses which can and do pay those prices -- $1 and $2 a WORD is average pay at a national magazine for example, but in order to get that $1 or more a word you need:

      * A track record before you approach the magazine (work your way up from small publications to national ones)

      * To build the relationship by proposing lots of ideas which get ignored

      * A willingness to write the pieces staff writers don't want to write ("The Top 50 Hotels Across the Nation Which Treat Your Pet As An Honored Guest")

      * Reliability -- always

      Consider that building your track record and relationships can take years; you're serving your apprenticeship -- without pay. Then you get to make good money, but you get lots of aggravation, killed stories, and hassles into the bargain.

      $10 and $15 per article starts to look reasonable when you're a beginning writer, doesn't it? You're earning while you're learning, and mostly the work is hassle-free.

      Cheers

      Angela
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349916].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BizBooks
    if want you articles that from speaker of english like england queen meself can possibly for you do for 3 dollars american but must vary by xchange forex rate of day of payment to arrive by us, ok
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[349943].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
      lol cute...

      And the below is the quality you will probably get.

      I'm probably going out on a limb here, but I wouldn't dream of offering just $3 an article to someone. (Not even when I was just starting out would I have offered that), my conscience wouldn't allow me to take advantage of somone who is themselves trying to earn a living.

      Let me ask you a question OP

      Would you write articles for $3 each yourself. (I doubt it)

      Kim

      Originally Posted by BizBooks View Post

      if want you articles that from speaker of english like england queen meself can possibly for you do for 3 dollars american but must vary by xchange forex rate of day of payment to arrive by us, ok
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350102].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jon Alexander
        I'd expect 100 articles for $3.
        Signature
        http://www.contentboss.com - automated article rewriting software gives you unique content at a few CENTS per article!. New - Put text into jetspinner format automatically! http://www.autojetspinner.com

        PS my PM system is broken. Sorry I can't help anymore.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350138].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Bryan Zimmerman
        Originally Posted by Kim Standerline View Post

        Would you write articles for $3 each yourself. (I doubt it)

        Kim

        That all depends on how much I needed the money. If I needed that money to pay my bills, I would write $3.00 articles all day long.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350141].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
          Would you really Bryan

          Personally I'd probably go and see if I could get a job cleaning or something. If I was that desperate for money, I certainly wouldn't work for something so far below the minimum wage

          Originally Posted by Bryan Zimmerman View Post

          That all depends on how much I needed the money. If I needed that money to pay my bills, I would write $3.00 articles all day long.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350150].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Bryan Zimmerman
            Originally Posted by Kim Standerline View Post

            Would you really Bryan

            Personally I'd probably go and see if I could get a job cleaning or something. If I was that desperate for money, I certainly wouldn't work for something so far below the minimum wage
            I am not saying I would do it for any length of time. Just long enough to pay for what I need to pay for. I agree that you will pay for what you get 99% of the time. But I can do 4 or 5 articles in an hour. Thats $12-$15 per hour which is well above minimum wage. I do not know of any cleaning jobs that you can get that will pay you that kind of money. Especially after you pay for gas to get from job to job.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350155].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
              Hi Bryan

              It's obvious we live in different continents

              I pay a cleaner the equivelent of $20 an hour here in the UK, and that is standard rate.

              To be honest I don't want to get into a pissing match with you, I'm just stating why I think paying someone $3 an article is wrong.

              However if you think it's ok, let me know when you are in need of some cash, and I'll gladly pay you $3 per 500 word article

              They will I hope be written in the Queens english and well researched!!

              Regards
              Kim


              Originally Posted by Bryan Zimmerman View Post

              I am not saying I would do it for any lenght of time. Just long enough to pay for what I need to pay for. I agree that you will pay for what you get 99% of the time. But I can do 4 or 5 articles in an hour. Thats $12-$15 per hour which is well above minimum wage. I do not know of any cleaning jobs that you can get that will pay you that kind of money. Especially after you pay for gas to get from job to job.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350170].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Bryan Zimmerman
                Originally Posted by Kim Standerline View Post

                Hi Bryan

                It's obvious we live in different continents

                I pay a cleaner the equivelent of $20 an hour here in the UK, and that is standard rate.

                To be honest I don't want to get into a pissing match with you, I'm just stating why I think paying someone $3 an article is wrong.

                However if you think it's ok, let me know when you are in need of some cash, and I'll gladly pay you $3 per 500 word article

                They will I hope be written in the Queens english and well researched!!

                Regards
                Kim
                Hi Kim,

                I'm not getting into a pissing match with you at all. I'm sorry if it came across that way or you took it like that. No hard feelings

                If your cleaning people get $20.00 a day then I would imagine you will get a few heading your way. I think most get around $10.00 per hour here.

                I never said I would enjoy writing articles at $3.00 each, I said if I needed the money to pay my bills I would do it. And since I have no problem paying my bills it won't be happening anytime soon

                Seriously, no hard feelings here Kim. I guess just a difference in opinion.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350181].message }}
            • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350175].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Matt James
                I'd expect 100 articles for $3.
                Haha, damn you Jon, you had me going for a while, now I know Content Boss is your baby.

                Damn fine service though
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350184].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
                  Big Mike, I knew I liked you for a reason.

                  Folks, I'm going to inject some reality into this discussion and I know that it's
                  going to have a lot of arrows shot at me, but so be it.

                  I am an article writer. Been writing my whole life. I charge 10 cents a word
                  for my articles, which comes out to $25 for just a 250 word knock off piece
                  that would take me about 6 minutes. That's $250 an hour baby.

                  Guess what?

                  I don't blame this poor soul one bit.

                  The economy sucks and that causes problems on 2 ends, whether people
                  want to admit it or not.

                  1. People just can't afford to pay as much for goods and services. You
                  don't crucify somebody because they go into the supermarket and buy
                  the no frills toilet paper instead of the Marcal because it's cheaper. So
                  why do it because he wants to get an article cheaper? He's doing what's
                  best for him and he can't be strung up by his toes for it.

                  2. People are desperate for work and will thus work for less than they
                  normally do. When somebody at a good paying job loses it and then takes
                  a job paying less because they have to work, you don't crucify them, do
                  you? So why start screaming that they're being taken advantage of if they
                  write $3 articles?

                  You've gotta stop living in your IM world folks. The real world out there
                  doesn't play by our rules. It does what it has to do to survive.

                  I will NEVER write $3 articles ever again.

                  But that's just me.

                  Everybody has to do what's best for them.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350203].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
                    Hi Steven

                    I take your point, re the no frills stuff, heck I like Asda (Walmart) as much as anyone.

                    I pay $8 an article, and to be honest I feel as tho I'm robbing my writers because I know they are worth so much more than that. Having said that, I appreciate the economic climate as much as anyone and it just wouldn't be feasible for me to pay any more than that.

                    Maybe I'm being idealistic, but I can't ever see myself taking advantage of someone and paying them $3.

                    For the record, I'm quite aware of how to write articles, when I first started out, I wrote my own until I could afford to outsource. (I also did some for other marketers ).

                    They take a lot of time and effort if researched properly etc. I used to use my reference books if writing medical stuff, (or my own knowledge) or I got books from the library etc. Certainly worth a lot more than a paltry $3 per article.

                    I stand by what I said.

                    If you're poor enough to even consider taking on this type of job, then I suggest you look offline for something, even if its flipping burgers

                    Kim

                    Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

                    Big Mike, I knew I liked you for a reason.

                    Folks, I'm going to inject some reality into this discussion and I know that it's
                    going to have a lot of arrows shot at me, but so be it.

                    I am an article writer. Been writing my whole life. I charge 10 cents a word
                    for my articles, which comes out to $25 for just a 250 word knock off piece
                    that would take me about 6 minutes. That's $250 an hour baby.

                    Guess what?

                    I don't blame this poor soul one bit.

                    The economy sucks and that causes problems on 2 ends, whether people
                    want to admit it or not.

                    1. People just can't afford to pay as much for goods and services. You
                    don't crucify somebody because they go into the supermarket and buy
                    the no frills toilet paper instead of the Marcal because it's cheaper. So
                    why do it because he wants to get an article cheaper? He's doing what's
                    best for him and he can't be strung up by his toes for it.

                    2. People are desperate for work and will thus work for less than they
                    normally do. When somebody at a good paying job loses it and then takes
                    a job paying less because they have to work, you don't crucify them, do
                    you? So why start screaming that they're being taken advantage of if they
                    write $3 articles?

                    You've gotta stop living in your IM world folks. The real world out there
                    doesn't play by our rules. It does what it has to do to survive.

                    I will NEVER write $3 articles ever again.

                    But that's just me.

                    Everybody has to do what's best for them.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350228].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Eric Lorence
                      It's all about the quality...

                      I think if you consider the rights:

                      Exclusive rights- You probably won't find it.

                      Reusing something that was written a year or so back, and is currently being sold to others, yes probably.
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350239].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
                      Originally Posted by Kim Standerline View Post

                      Hi Steven

                      I take your point, re the no frills stuff, heck I like Asda (Walmart) as much as anyone.

                      I pay $8 an article, and to be honest I feel as tho I'm robbing my writers because I know they are worth so much more than that. Having said that, I appreciate the economic climate as much as anyone and it just wouldn't be feasible for me to pay any more than that.

                      Maybe I'm being idealistic, but I can't ever see myself taking advantage of someone and paying them $3.

                      For the record, I'm quite aware of how to write articles, when I first started out, I wrote my own until I could afford to outsource. (I also did some for other marketers ).

                      They take a lot of time and effort if researched properly etc. I used to use my reference books if writing medical stuff, (or my own knowledge) or I got books from the library etc. Certainly worth a lot more than a paltry $3 per article.

                      I stand by what I said.

                      If you're poor enough to even consider taking on this type of job, then I suggest you look offline for something, even if its flipping burgers

                      Kim

                      Kim, I'm not blaming you for your feelings at all, and make no mistake
                      about it, personally, I don't like this mess. But think of it this way, and
                      of course this depends on where you live.

                      Here, if you work at a McDonalds flipping burgers, it's $7 an hour. A decent
                      article writer should be able to write 3 articles in that time, which is $9
                      at $3 per.

                      But....there's something else, and it's something you can't get at a
                      Mickey D's.

                      This article writer is building up a portfolio of work that, if good, can
                      eventually land him better paying work.

                      That's not going to happen at a Mickey D's.

                      Again, I don't like it and I'd never pay somebody $3 per article either, but
                      we live in a free society. Supply and demand dictate everything in this
                      world. So, if somebody is only willing to pay $3 per article but there is no
                      supply at that price, guess what? He's forced to raise his prices or write
                      them himself.

                      Same on the other end of the spectrum. If somebody is intent on charging
                      10 cents a word like me, but there is no demand at that price, I have 2
                      choices...lower my prices or don't work.

                      I'm fortunate enough that I don't have to write for peanuts anymore, but
                      some people are not. And if it's a choice between starving and working,
                      I think they're making the right choice in working, whatever the pay is.

                      And let's not forget...$3 per article to somebody in India is a small fortune.

                      Ultimately, it will all work itself out.

                      The person contracting at $3 per will either get somebody to do it who
                      can't write well and thus the articles don't do the job they're intended to
                      do OR they WILL get somebody good and eventually that person will raise
                      his prices and the contractor will either be forced to pay him more or find
                      somebody else. If he has a good thing going, he'd be foolish to let it go.

                      For what it's worth, I have always stuck to my guns my whole life as far
                      as what I wanted. When I graduated college, I knew the salary I wanted
                      and didn't accept a job until I found it.

                      Took me 1 year.

                      Some people can't wait that long and will accept lower pay.

                      That's just the way the world is.

                      We may not like it...but we don't have a heck of a lot of choice as far as
                      accepting it until the workers decide that they're going to be paid what
                      they're worth and say no to low wages.

                      They have the power...they just have to use it.
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350266].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
                        Good gracious, $7 an hour (Unbelievable)

                        Minimum wage in the UK is nearly double that

                        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

                        Here, if you work at a McDonalds flipping burgers, it's $7 an hour. A decent
                        article writer should be able to write 3 articles in that time, which is $9
                        at $3 per.
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351357].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
                          Originally Posted by Kim Standerline View Post

                          Good gracious, $7 an hour (Unbelievable)

                          Minimum wage in the UK is nearly double that
                          Hi Kim,

                          It's not that unbelievable when you consider how much of the world doesn't even have a minimum wage. Also, it's possible the cost of living is higher in the UK (though I'm not sure), just a thought.

                          All the best,
                          Michael
                          Signature

                          "Ich bin en fuego!"
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351361].message }}
                          • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
                            Hmm I hadn't thought of that

                            Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

                            Also, it's possible the cost of living is higher in the UK (though I'm not sure), just a thought.
                            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351374].message }}
                          • Profile picture of the author Bryan Zimmerman
                            Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

                            Hi Kim,

                            It's not that unbelievable when you consider how much of the world doesn't even have a minimum wage. Also, it's possible the cost of living is higher in the UK (though I'm not sure), just a thought.

                            All the best,
                            Michael
                            The cost of living the UK is a lot higher than it is in the U.S. A couple of friends my wife has are from there and their house is about 500 sqft smaller than ours and cost them about $90,000 (Us. Dollars) more.

                            Here is a link to what minimum wage is in the U.S. broken down by States. http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm

                            Not only that the minimum wage for the longest time was $5.15 up until a few years ago. I think (I could be wrong) that it just went up to $7.00 sometime this year.
                            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351379].message }}
                            • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
                              I've just come in from doing a Christmas shop at Tescoes.

                              Looking at the obscene amount of money I'v just spent, I would agree the cost of living is ridiculous

                              Umm anyone want any $3 articles writing lol

                              Originally Posted by Bryan Zimmerman View Post

                              The cost of living the UK is a lot higher than it is in the U.S. A couple of friends my wife has are from there and their house is about 500 sqft smaller than ours and cost them about $90,000 (Us. Dollars) more.

                              Not only that the minimum wage for the longest time was $5.15 up until a few years ago. I think (I could be wrong) that it just went up to $7.00 sometime this year.
                              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351383].message }}
                              • Profile picture of the author Bryan Zimmerman
                                Originally Posted by Kim Standerline View Post

                                Umm anyone want any $3 articles writing lol

                                I'll send you my topics, lol
                                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351388].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Raymond Edeh
                  Banned
                  [DELETED]
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350209].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
                    No they don't Raymond, you're just generalising

                    Originally Posted by Raymond Edeh View Post

                    All article writers live below poverty level.
                    So, all of them are sentenced to charge $3
                    per article or go kiss a toilet seat.

                    People need to change their mental attitude...
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350233].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
                    Here's a free quickie from my Blog Content Wizard program.

                    Man, it should be simple. For all practical purposes I am still trying to work through the kinks in my sales compensation plans. I was initially amazed with it. You might like to know that other sales force compensation plans have already been found lacking. Using the right sales compensation plan software has been proven to cause happy sales reps. I am well aware of that. Sales compensation plan also gives people access to it online. It seems to violate that maxim. When comes down to it I could try to keep clear of it. The goal is to increase the number of sales reps available. Working with this sales compensation plan software shows me that I have much to learn. It is all about the timing.

                    After so long people will forget this kind of sales compensation plans. The good thing about it is, nothing much can go wrong with it. If you can't fire off the answer, stop whatever else you're doing. I won't stand for it. It's discouraging sometimes when there is no more. I know it's going to be tough for some of you. There's a lot that falls into that area.

                    I have been struggling with how to get more done with sales compensation plans. Patience is a virtue. Everything happens for a reason I guess. I probably should be more diligent with sales reps. I believe good sales compensation plans is a must in order to have a successful business. Because good sales compensation plans will pay off a year from now, it will be worth it. It's a fact of life. But it's not always as easy as that. So far I have avoided trouble with sales manager compensation plans. I wonder if the rumors will effect it positively or negatively. There is much more to it than that. It is mainly about a good sales compensation plans. I think this is a masterful plan, but that is how it affects things.
                    All you add is the keywords and it takes care of the rest. It's obviously not article directory material but you can fill many a blog with it.

                    My reason for developing the program in the first place was because the $3 articles I bought weren't much better than what the program could spit out faster and cheaper and if I wanted a quality article I'd either write it myself or re-write a PLR.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350361].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author tommygadget
                      Originally Posted by bgmacaw View Post

                      Here's a free quickie from my Blog Content Wizard program.



                      All you add is the keywords and it takes care of the rest. It's obviously not article directory material but you can fill many a blog with it.

                      My reason for developing the program in the first place was because the $3 articles I bought weren't much better than what the program could spit out faster and cheaper and if I wanted a quality article I'd either write it myself or re-write a PLR.
                      Dude, reading that just gave me a headache. I read somewhere on a black hat forum that people were putting up blogs with hundreds of posts written like yours without any ads. They then waited to get indexed and forwarded the link juice to properly written blogs. I think for the purpose of link power, your software could be useful.

                      TomG.
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350395].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Chri5123
      Originally Posted by BizBooks View Post

      if want you articles that from speaker of english like england queen meself can possibly for you do for 3 dollars american but must vary by xchange forex rate of day of payment to arrive by us, ok
      How can you pass up an offer like this?

      Finally got the hang of this outsourcing!

      Chris
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350782].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KateD
    Well, I hope things go better for you. I just got 30 articles written for me for about $3.

    None of them are usable without extensive re-writing. The quality is just SO bad.

    I have yet to have a positive experience hiring anyone to write my articles for me.

    KateD
    Signature
    Why Aren't You Making Money On Kindle With Erotica?


    --->I can also write other fiction (horror, romance, mystery, etc). Just ask me, I don't bite. :)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350246].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by KateD View Post

      Well, I hope things go better for you. I just got 30 articles written for me for about $3.

      None of them are usable without extensive re-writing. The quality is just SO bad.

      I have yet to have a positive experience hiring anyone to write my articles for me.

      KateD
      Kate, I think the OP is going to find out the same thing, which is why I can
      be so calm about all this, even as an article writer myself. I've freelanced
      over 1,000 articles in my life and I've never worked for $3 per article.

      Trust me, he will find it very hard to get decent quality for that kind of
      money and ultimately he'll realize that he'll have to pay more or raise his
      prices.

      Like I said...supply and demand.

      It's a great system and ultimately...it works.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author valerieSONORA
    It can take a while to research for content writing. If someone wants you to write a topic you're not familiar with, the research alone can take a fair amount of time before a single word is written.

    If I were desperate, instead of writing $3 articles all day long, I agree with Kim and I'd go be a cleaner. You can clean a house, get paid $80 to clean it, takes 2 hours, that's $40 an hour. I understand though that in some countries $3 is worth a lot more than it is here so I can totally understand people taking those projects.
    Signature

    siggy taking a break...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350259].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author davebo
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350438].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author valerieSONORA
        Originally Posted by davebo View Post

        Article writers like to make the research seem like they are spending hours in the library for your articles. The only way that writers get more money from me is if they bring a) expertise b) personality....and surprisingly, very few can bring much of either. Even the more expensive writers are churning out glorified wikipedia posts.
        Well darn, don't you hate it when that happens!

        And as far as a cleaner, I pay them $90 to clean my house and there are two of them. Plus, they provide the supplies, equipment, and they have to come back if something's not done right. And don't forget marketing and transportation cost/time expense. And forget about the fact that cleaning a house kind of sucks..most people would rather be typing on a computer.
        Um...ok, thanks for sharing. That was just fascinating for us all to know.

        And I believe you that they have to come back if something is not right too.

        So, what's really on your mind?
        Signature

        siggy taking a break...

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351719].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ShayB
      I can see both sides. There is no way I would write for $3 an article, but I can see why some would.

      On the other hand, if I had a business and could find someone who writes well for $3, then I would keep using him/her.

      People charge what people charge. :rolleyes:
      Signature
      "Fate protects fools, little children, and ships called Enterprise." ~Commander Riker
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350656].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
        Originally Posted by ShayRockhold View Post

        People charge what people charge. :rolleyes:
        That's about the sum of things. I've paid anywhere from $6 for a 300-word article to $200 for a 1,000-1,500 word article. I think I paid an average of $25-$35 for a 500-1,000 word article. (Those $200 articles were few and far between!) I tried to balance things out by having many more less expensive articles and fewer expensive ones.

        The cheaper article writers are harder to hang on to. Frequently, they discover they can make more money elsewhere and easier. Unless, of course, they are outside the U.S., where $6 may go farther than it does here.

        And, as others have said, price does not determine quality. Higher priced writers may tend to have better work, but that is not a guarantee. In fact, it was one of the higher priced writers that I caught plagiarizing...

        Some writers may have in-depth knowledge of certain subjects, so they don't need to do as much research as someone who doesn't have the same level of knowledge. As such, you might get a more informative article at a less expensive price. On the other hand, such an expert might charge a premium, so you'll pay more for that knowledge. As a publisher, you have to decide the angle or balance that's right for you.

        And, there is also a difference in the type of article being written. Is it something just for search engine positioning, or is it something meant to be read by a human being? For my own needs, I want the latter. I could churn out keyword-loaded but largely unreadable content pretty much on my own.

        Plus, for me, I end up with the higher priced writers, because I look for things the cheaper writers generally can't or won't do. I want original articles, I want to purchase all rights to them and I want them to be informative to readers, which also necessitates that they be in intelligible English and be as accurate as possible in covering the subject matter. There aren't a lot of $3 article writers that offer all those things.
        Signature

        Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

        Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351416].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nicola Lane
    If all you can afford is $3 an artilce, then I suggest you learn how to use them properly first then worry about finding writers.

    If you can't make an average of at least $20 per artilce then you have a lot of learning to do.
    Signature

    I like to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350271].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    Hi mix_daylee,

    Obviously you think it's not cool to pay such a low price for articles (I assume that based on the subject line of your post), but you try to justify it by saying times are tough.

    Guess what?

    Times are tough for article marketers, too. It's not as if that segment of the population is immune.

    So, here's what I'm wondering. Do you have a plan to monetize these articles? If so, then you should have a good enough plan in plave where paying more for articles is okay. If not, then you need to re-assess that plan.

    Times are tough, but it's okay for article writers to suffer more, because they deserve less?

    No wonder I'm not going to be doing much ghostwriting in 2009.

    We've been dumped on long enough.

    Now, to be fair, I see nothing wrong with you wanting to pay any price you choose for articles. That's up to you, but, as I said, you know you're going a bit too low, even for you.

    Finally, why do people undervalue writers? The reason I ask is if people can't write them themselves, then why do they think it's so easy? There is a logical disconnect somewhere in that thought process.

    Anyway, good luck on finding a quality article writer at that rate. Though I'm also guessing quality is not your top concern if you are looking for someone to pump out 400 (400!) articles.

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350293].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author davebo
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350462].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
        Originally Posted by davebo View Post

        Article writers don't understand 3 things:

        1) It's not the clients job to provide you a good living. You can either accept or walk away. I hate to sound harsh, but since when do I need to pay someone based on the kind of life they want to live. They need to earn it. Article pay rates differ so much because a lady who wants to make $100/week to go shopping can charge $5/article and gives just as good quality as the guy who needs the money to pay the mortgage.

        2) I pay my CPA what he asks for because the guy saves me money. Article writers like to point to the fact that one article can generate thousands, but I wonder how many of their articles have actually done that.

        3) Article writers get dumped on because anyone can essentially write an article. A CPA passed the CPA exam, I didn't. An attorney passed the bar, I didn't. A programmer has real world skill and probably a computer science degree, I don't. Most writers don't have any specialized skills. If I need an article that explains something technical, I'll pay more because you have a skill that sets you apart. But if not, then you'll get paid less.
        With all due respect, that's a bunch of nonsense, AND supports my point. If anyone can write an article, then why don't they? Whatever that answer is, it should show why there is value in article writing.

        Perhaps you haven't seen some of the utter garbage writing I've seen, if you have you wouldn't say "anyone can essentially write an article".

        If you are at a point where you need to pay someone to write your articles for you, then there is a reason, and the person should be compensated. That's the point I was trying to make.

        Also, you are absolutely right that it's not your responsibility to make sure I (or any ghostwriter) earns a living. My point there was that the OP was using the economy as an excuse to pay less than they think is fair (that assumption is based on the title of the post). But somehow it's okay to pay less to the article writer? That doesn't make sense.

        Let's look at it another way. Why doesn't the OP charge less for what they're selling? After all, the economy stinks, right? In fact why don't we just start paying less to every one?

        Aweber too expensive? No problem, send them $5 this month. PayPal fees too high? Ask them to take less. Ghostwriters? Heck, pay them a few cents per article, because anybody can write an article (even though you can't which is why you want to hire one).

        Not to sound harsh.

        All the best,
        Michael
        Signature

        "Ich bin en fuego!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350624].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Thomas
        I'll write articles all day long for €3 a pop.

        In fact, I'll give you the first 10 free...
        1. articles.
        2. articles.
        3. articles.
        4. articles.
        5. articles.
        6. articles.
        7. articles.
        8. articles.
        9. articles.
        10. articles.
        Let me know when you need more.



        Tommy.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351384].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    Talk about article writers sweatshops! I don't write for less than $150
    per article but I know it's no use getting heated over people who do
    charge $3. They must know how they are making a living at that
    rate. Even my 10 year old daughter got $25 for her story from a
    magazine publisher.

    I can't write junk. The more you do this kind of writing the more
    your writing skills deteriorate. That's why I don't post too often
    to my blog because I must have something of value to say before
    I decide to write it ...

    Copywriting Tips And Tricks

    Those are the kinds of articles I write ... and yes, there is a market
    for people who pay you $150 and more per article. (HINT: They
    have never heard of the Warrior Forum.)

    -Ray L.,
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350319].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tomw
    When it comes to trade there is no morality, only market forces.

    We can CHOOSE to pay higher prices in the hope of higher quality but, as has been said, this is not always the result.

    We can CHOOSE to pay higher prices because of a position of altruism or principle, but this is a conscious personal decision and not mandatory.

    It is also a legitimate CHOICE to take up the option of lower prices as offered in the marketplace.

    In any and every market there will always be competition. Where there is competition there will always be a diverse price range.

    Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing for the sector is neither here nor there. It just is.

    As Bev rightly pointed out, regardless of the economic conditions of the day, there is still healthy competition in this or any other marketplace. As always, businesses are flourishing while others flounder. There are countless reasons for this other than a price differential.

    As is also always the case, there will always be a healthy market for premium goods and services in a thriving or flailing economy, just as there will always be for lower cost options.

    Purchasing at any point along the value/price or emotional/functional benefit scale is entirely a legitimate personal choice.

    As Warriors, most of us are marketers, which generally means we embrace the market and market forces. Indeed, for most of us, the constant battle to increase market share, increase our prices through offering greater value, or simply by employing more insightful marketing strategies and tactics is our passion. If there was a set price for every product, life would be pretty dull for most of us as there would be no need for our marketing skills. Or there would be a far greater demand for our them and very little reward!

    Thomas
    Signature
    STOP THE TRAFFIK: PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE BOUGHT AND SOLD
    Help Us Rescue, Rehabilitate And Reunite Victims With Their Families

    STOP THE TRAFFIK is a growing global movement of individuals, communities and organisations fighting to PREVENT the sale of people,
    PROTECT the trafficked and PROSECUTE the traffickers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carolinepigott
    Sorry to tell you but $10 is too cheap for me. It may be hard times but you still get what you pay for. If you want an article written by an amateur, possibly riddled with grammatical errors, and written by someone whose first language is not English, then pay $3. But if you are looking for quality you will need to pay more. Writing is a talent and a service.

    I guess it depends on how the articles will affect you and your business. If the articles will reflect who you are then I would think about saving up some money to have a professional write for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350416].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mix_daylee
    First off, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum. To those who find $3 dollars per article fee offensive, my apologies go out to you. I know exactly how you feel because I've been on the receiving end of the $3 dollar deal before. At first I thought I was getting screwed but the referrals I got from this (cheap) client were truly priceless. Sometimes you have to give a little to gain a lot.
    .

    I would also like to thank those who have submitted your offers. I will review them and take them into consideration.


    To Jon Alexander: Thank you for letting me know about contentboss. It definitely seems like a good deal.


    To Steven Wagenheim: Thank you for understanding my situation. You pretty much covered everything with the Mickey D's analogy.


    Now, If I asked you guys to write an article about the pros and cons of charging $3 dollars per article, would you do it?

    Oh wait, you guys already did. That wasn't so hard, was it?

    This is the type of stuff I'm asking for.

    I'm not asking anyone to do any hard core research on how natural medicine affects deoxyribonucleic acid cells.

    Cheers,
    -Mix
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350466].message }}
    • Originally Posted by mix_daylee View Post

      Now, If I asked you guys to write an article about the pros and cons of charging $3 dollars per article, would you do it?

      Oh wait, you guys already did. That wasn't so hard, was it?

      This is the type of stuff I'm asking for.

      I'm not asking anyone to do any hard core research on how natural medicine affects deoxyribonucleic acid cells.
      First of all, I understand where you are coming from. You have a budget and a need for content. Fine. That works for you.

      I got started doing ghostwriting here through my own posts on this forum. My first client solicited me once I announced I was going to do write-for-hire assignments. That client didn't balk at paying $5 per 100 words. I wrote 10 600-word articles, with an up front payment of $150. Since I delivered the finished product in less than 24 hours, I got a $50 bonus for my work.

      Regarding the effect of "natural" medicine on DNA -- natural or homeopathic medicines can be every bit as toxic on genetic material as allopathic medicine. Even worse, most "natural" medicine hasn't been rigorously tested and tracked in populations large enough to be statistically significant.

      That's just off the top of my head, mind you...
      Signature
      "The will to prepare to win is more important than the will to win." -- misquoting Coach Vince Lombardi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350487].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
        Originally Posted by Vince Runza Online View Post

        First of all, I understand where you are coming from. You have a budget and a need for content. Fine. That works for you.

        I got started doing ghostwriting here through my own posts on this forum. My first client solicited me once I announced I was going to do write-for-hire assignments. That client didn't balk at paying $5 per 100 words. I wrote 10 600-word articles, with an up front payment of $150. Since I delivered the finished product in less than 24 hours, I got a $50 bonus for my work.

        Regarding the effect of "natural" medicine on DNA -- natural or homeopathic medicines can be every bit as toxic on genetic material as allopathic medicine. Even worse, most "natural" medicine hasn't been rigorously tested and tracked in populations large enough to be statistically significant.

        That's just off the top of my head, mind you...

        Okay Vince, we know you're smart

        Nice info...thanks for sharing.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350493].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

          Okay Vince, we know you're smart

          Nice info...thanks for sharing.
          It's an inside joke in my family -- "ask Vince, he'd know about that!", no matter what the question was.

          Joke time: "Between me and my father, we know everything there is to know!" Somebody asks you something you don't know? "That's something my father knows!" :p
          Signature
          "The will to prepare to win is more important than the will to win." -- misquoting Coach Vince Lombardi
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350512].message }}
  • Why do you hate to say it?

    I'm proud to say I use $3 article writers. I'm proud to say with certain currency fluctuations I can get $1.25 writers.

    I'll go out to my rooftop and say "I'm spending a fifth of what you do on your articles, getting the same quality, and I have ten times as many as you because I'm saving money and getting more for my buck!".

    If the quality is there, hell, don't even pay them if they'll work for free.

    On the flipside, don't sell your services short. I did that once during a job application I didn't think I would even hear back from. Well, I did, and I also got paid $4 hr less than anyone in the store, because I sold myself for dirt.

    I love it when I watch those corny Life Styles of the Rich and Famous shows, because it shows you just what happens when people charge insane prices for their services. They get insane buyers!

    There are people out in LA right now, getting paid $10-20,000 a house, to "baby proof" it. You know what they do? Put rubber on sharp edges and stick shit into the electrical outlets.

    There is a lady that gets almost $50,000 a pop, for painting pictures of celebrity dogs. Just painting pictures, the same quality that a huge majority of art majors could do.

    But why is that? It's because these people are surrounded by other people who are rich. Rather than complain that people are too cheap to use your services, start targeting people so wealthy, that your premium service seems like a $3 article.

    To some people here, $150 an article would feel like ten bucks. Likewise, for some unfortunate on the other end, $3 an article can feel like stretching the bank account.
    Signature

    Money isn't real, George. It doesn't matter. It only seems like it does.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350469].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
      Originally Posted by Christopher R Everson View Post

      Why do you hate to say it?

      I'm proud to say I use $3 article writers. I'm proud to say with certain currency fluctuations I can get $1.25 writers.

      I'll go out to my rooftop and say "I'm spending a fifth of what you do on your articles, getting the same quality, and I have ten times as many as you because I'm saving money and getting more for my buck!".

      If the quality is there, hell, don't even pay them if they'll work for free.

      On the flipside, don't sell your services short. I did that once during a job application I didn't think I would even hear back from. Well, I did, and I also got paid $4 hr less than anyone in the store, because I sold myself for dirt.

      I love it when I watch those corny Life Styles of the Rich and Famous shows, because it shows you just what happens when people charge insane prices for their services. They get insane buyers!

      There are people out in LA right now, getting paid $10-20,000 a house, to "baby proof" it. You know what they do? Put rubber on sharp edges and stick shit into the electrical outlets.

      There is a lady that gets almost $50,000 a pop, for painting pictures of celebrity dogs. Just painting pictures, the same quality that a huge majority of art majors could do.

      But why is that? It's because these people are surrounded by other people who are rich. Rather than complain that people are too cheap to use your services, start targeting people so wealthy, that your premium service seems like a $3 article.

      To some people here, $150 an article would feel like ten bucks. Likewise, for some unfortunate on the other end, $3 an article can feel like stretching the bank account.
      Belive it or not, I agree with you.

      The biggest complaint I have with the first post is that they are implying that they think they "should" pay more.

      If you can pay less, and each party is happy, that's fine. Be happy.

      But don't use the economy as an excuse, just pay what you want to pay. Don't make justifications.

      All the best,
      Michael
      Signature

      "Ich bin en fuego!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350640].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Ayres
    I have $3 & $4 article writers and $4 is the most i pay.
    I get a brilliant service from them and if i get any i don't like they rewrite them for me.
    I make a lot of money from these articles and i don't feel guilty at all, as these are the prices they set i didn't make them charge it.

    I am totally Amazed that according to this thread some people pay $150 an article!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350500].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike McBride
    Article writers don't understand 3 things:
    And it's becoming increasingly obvious that you don't understand anything about writing quality articles, not to mention customer relations, or pretty much anything else on this subject.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350649].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author briankoz
    Just to debunk some of the stuff mentioned in this thread, I have to say that I agree with Big Mike from my own experience.

    I've used $1 writers, as well as $30 writers ... and everything in between.

    Want to know which ones I mostly use now? Mostly $2 writers and sometimes $5 to $10 writers (for 500 words approximately) in the majority of cases.

    I've found that most $1 writers are crap, but you can sneak in some good quality writers for $2. You can even get U.S. based writers for $2 to $3 per article if you look hard enough.

    I've paid $25 to $30 per article before, and I've had several disappointments. Some do a crappy job, while others are comparable to the $2 writers. Now, having said that, I'm sure there are some more expensive article writers who are top notch and do great jobs well worth the money. In that case, $25 to even $50+ isn't unreasonable if it can make you much more than that.

    However, my personal experience is that you need to test each writer individually. Don't assume that a $25 writer is better than a $2 one.

    And on that same note, when you find a good cheap writer, take care of them well, offer them retainers, etc. to keep them with you and not looking for extra work.

    Brian
    Signature
    WebFire.com -- Over 25 Tools to Get Free Traffic, Rankings, Leads, and Exposure!
    MobileAutoresponder.com -- Build a Mobile List and Send Unlimited Text Messages!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350667].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ShayB
      Originally Posted by briankoz View Post

      And on that same note, when you find a good cheap writer, take care of them well, offer them retainers, etc. to keep them with you and not looking for extra work.

      Brian
      I think that is a good motto, even if they are not cheap. If you find a writer you like and can afford, then do what you can to keep him/her happy.
      Signature
      "Fate protects fools, little children, and ships called Enterprise." ~Commander Riker
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[350697].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tess47
    I am a ghostwriter, and I normally charge $10 for an average length article. Since this is the season of giving, I will write 10 articles for you at $3 per article, if you will pm me.

    I will be back on the forum tonight - please let me know what your subject is.

    Everyone else, you can laugh at me if you want. I am a Christian woman, and I am going to help out.
    Signature

    Tess
    Ghostwriting Services - Exceptional Content With An SEO Twist!
    Internet Marketing Tips - Straight Talk Marketing! Is Success on YOUR Horizon?
    Content Writing Services - Great. Content. Period.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351231].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Louis Raven
      Originally Posted by tess47 View Post

      I am a ghostwriter, and I normally charge $10 for an average length article. Since this is the season of giving, I will write 10 articles for you at $3 per article, if you will pm me.

      I will be back on the forum tonight - please let me know what your subject is.

      Everyone else, you can laugh at me if you want. I am a Christian woman, and I am going to help out.
      I respect you. Don't forget to get testimonials and keep some samples so other warriors can see you work and employ you at your normal $10 rates

      Louis
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351279].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
      Originally Posted by tess47 View Post

      I am a ghostwriter, and I normally charge $10 for an average length article. Since this is the season of giving, I will write 10 articles for you at $3 per article, if you will pm me.

      I will be back on the forum tonight - please let me know what your subject is.

      Everyone else, you can laugh at me if you want. I am a Christian woman, and I am going to help out.
      Hi Tess,

      You certainly know how to put things into perspective.

      I, for one, won't laugh at you at all.

      Your post reminds of the parable of the workers who were paid equally (Matthew 20:1-15).

      Thanks for the reminder.

      All the best,
      Michael
      Signature

      "Ich bin en fuego!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351359].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cypherslock
    Tess, that is very generous of you! I'm wondering though (seeing as how I count myself as a small "c" christian) what does being Christian have to do with helping out? People use that phrase and I've always wondered about it. If you're a naturally giving person, you help regardless of your religious affiliation...

    *ahem* sorry, it just struck me as something I'd like to know. In any event, if both parties agree with a set price, and everyone is happy at the end, GOOD. Would I do it for that, nope. But that's me.

    In some places $3 will go a long way. We are very fortunate with the lifestyle that most of us lead. We have the basics and can afford the luxuries. Sometimes I have to mentally kick myself (or my wife gladly does it!) to remember that.

    Well, its almost here, so Merry Christmas to everyone. I hope all of us get to spend time with our loved ones, regardless of how we individually celebrate.

    And here is to an absolutely ROCKIN' (cue devil horns) 2009. w00t!

    Cypher
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351392].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author madison_avenue
    Being an article writer must give you a good insight into what the hot topics are, which are the topics people are willing to pay more for. What keywords they are targeting etc ? could be useful information.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351418].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alice Seba
    Originally Posted by mix_daylee View Post

    I know many warriors don't write for less than $8 dollars per article but you have to understand that sometimes you just have to adjust your prices with the times.
    And I'd recommend most people raise them, instead of lower them....offer better service to fewer clients who are willing to pay more. That's a much stable recession formula...IMHO.

    It's all fine with me if people take you up on your offer, but a little bothersome that you're suggesting writers should lower their rates to go with the times. :-(

    Hope Tess fits the bill...sounds like you have a taker. Good luck!

    Alice
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351423].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Hesaidblissfully
      This was a case of making the wrong offer to the wrong audience.

      It seems that most of the people who object to paying people $3 per article reside in places with a fairly high cost of living. I live in New York City and I know that rates like that just wouldn't be worth the time investment.

      However, if I were someone living in a 3rd world country where the cost of living was much lower, then I might jump at $3 an article.

      People who can afford to work for $3 an hour do. People who can't, don't. I don't see a problem. (and I say that as a writer myself).

      Someone mentioned that the client isn't responsible for supporting the writer's cost of living, which is correct. The writer is responsible for deciding how he (or she) chooses to support himself. If that means turning down jobs because the investment of time and energy wouldn't be worth it, so be it.

      But that DOESN'T mean that if someone is willing to work for less because they can afford it, that they're being taken advantage of. In fact, if the OP had posted his ad in another forum, he probably would've been swamped with offers.

      Having said all that, there's a service called articlez that supposedly creates quality articles starting at $2. I haven't checked it out myself, but someone who's fairly well respected here recommended it recently.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351477].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Fullman
    Go back several hundred years, and offer Shakespeare the equivalent of a month's wages for a single sonnet. What would he do?

    Fast forward several hundred years, and offer an English major (albeit in an Asian country) the equivalent of a month's wages for a single article. What will they do?

    If you considered the cost of living in rupees, rather than dollars (for a bloody change), you might see things differently.

    OK, flame away.
    Signature

    Not promoting right now

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BigHef
    Gee this fired up some interest.

    I think it's more than reasonable for someone to ask for $3 articles. If you don't ask - how will you know?

    Put it in perspective - in Aus, that $3US has become $4.50AUD with the exchange rate fluctuations. In NZ, it's around $5.

    If he had offered $5 articles to NZ writers - less of a furore already!

    On the flip side - I'm from Aus, and I want to pay someone $8US an article - quite reasonable. That is now costing me $12AUD - a decent difference which can add up.

    For countries where the US dollar is worth even more - you can imagine how people may jump at $3 an article.

    Just something for those 'Article Writing Activists' :p to think about before they jump on anyone who dares put themselves out there with an upfront price
    Signature
    Working with local businesses....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351871].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bev Clement
    As I said before there is room for all, the person has to decide on their business model and then stick with it. But, don't use the economy to feed people the misinformation that they have to drop their prices to get work. It isn't true.

    I have no problem with $3 articles if the writer decides that is their business model, but let the writer decide how to run their business. If their rates are not what you want to pay, then move on.

    If you're talking about the cost of living then you should try Hong Kong. With the $ performing the way it is, an apartment to rent 6 months ago was US$1,000 a month is now US$1,500 a month.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351955].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Derek Pankaew
    Wow, what a discussion.

    A lot's been said already about the value of writers. I just want to point out that the saying "The best employees are always free" also applies to writers.

    When you're paying for articles, you're making an investment. If you pay $7 for an article, the reason you do so is that because in the long run you believe you'll make more than $7 from paying for that article.

    And having worked with $3 article writers my experience is that paying for a real professional's work is almost always a better ROI for you than paying for a $3 article.

    My 2 cents on this matter.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[351999].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MizzCindy
    Interesting topic...and replies, too.

    Makes sense for business owners to want the best possible quality product at the lowest possible price. It also makes sense for writers to carefully consider what price they will accept - and WHY! Writers define the value of their service based on fee schedule. That schedule will vary depending upon numerous factors, which have all been covered.

    What caught my attention is the phrase from the OP suggesting *I* (meaning writers in general) should lower my fees due to the economy. I'm not sure why it would seem even remotely reasonable to suggest to someone the need to lower fees. It's one thing to search for the best deal going, quite another to attempt to dictate how someone else structures their business.

    I do believe quality writers can be had at almost all price points. The question becomes one of longevity. If you wish to maintain a longterm, productive relationship with a writer, then money is the factor that will make that more likely to happen.

    Tess - if you are willing to write at $3/article price, then good for you. I have no desire to laugh at you. However, I don't think being a Christian - or not being a Christian - is relevant. Some writers find the offered compensation unacceptable. Some don't. It's a simple business decision.

    Cindy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[352242].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Derek Pankaew
    What caught my attention is the phrase from the OP suggesting *I* (meaning writers in general) should lower my fees due to the economy. I'm not sure why it would seem even remotely reasonable to suggest to someone the need to lower fees. It's one thing to search for the best deal going, quite another to attempt to dictate how someone else structures their business.
    It doesn't really make any sense to lower your rates because of the economy. High quality articles are as in demand as ever.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[352283].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Noel2010
    I'm sure this thread will go to another page but do you realise how many articles have been written in the posts above for $0 per article?

    Now when I want free articles, I will just start a controversial topic here on the WF. (so what is the best Dog Training out there?)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[352317].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author raynman
    Well this has been an enlightening (and frustrating) discussion.

    As someone who is starting out in here and trying to determine a fair price for my writing service I have seen prices ranging from $3 to $150 per article which has made it difficult to figure a price out.

    Obviously, most are going to value my time and service much less than I would. I do feel that someone who has an MBA and is a former English teacher (of course part-time and teaching English to speakers of other languages) who is a native English speaker would be quite valuable.

    The question is, how do you determine initial worth? How do you get to a point where you are charging $50-100 per article?

    Help me understand this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[353118].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ShayB
      Originally Posted by raynman View Post

      The question is, how do you determine initial worth? How do you get to a point where you are charging $50-100 per article?
      I will give my perspective. I am sure there will be better answers.

      When I first started, I determined how many articles I could write in an hour and determined a desired rate per hour based on that production rate.

      I did not figure in research time at that point because I just used the time I normally spent chatting on forums and such and did research instead; so my habits changed - not my schedule.

      I live in an area where $7 or $8 an hour jobs are considered good. Jobs for $15 an hour are hard to come by, and $20 an hour jobs are spectacular. I wanted to be beyond spectacular, even just starting out.

      People in different areas will have a different cost of living rate. My rates would not even pay the rent in some areas.

      As I have gotten experience, I have changed my rates accordingly.

      I hope that helps.
      Signature
      "Fate protects fools, little children, and ships called Enterprise." ~Commander Riker
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[353337].message }}

Trending Topics