But I'm not an expert.
The 5 top ways I have are:
1. Master a niche where people have ongoing needs or problems (pain, ambition, relationships)
2. Offer a great freebie ebook, instantly downloadable
3. Kane the social networks: Digg, Stumbled, FB, twitter with articles & links for organic SEO traffic
4. Put your hover box up and make it clear of the benefits of joining
5. If you have problems getting traffic, pay a few cents per targeted Google ads
A lot of this depends on how much organic traffic you get from the SEs. I'd prefer to avoid paying them any ad money of course.
I define good list-building as 30 new subscribers per day.
I'm sure many of you who are more experienced have managed to jack out 200 per day at least.
What's your list builder accelerator top technique?