37 replies
In 1931 - Novelist Sinclair Lewis was supposed to deliver an hour-long lecture to a group of college students who planned to be writers.
Lewis opened his talk with a question:
"How many of you really intend to be writers?"
All hands went up.
"In that case," said Lewis, "go home and write."
And with that, he left.

The moral being....
...stop thinking you will start something 'tomorrow'. Stop convincing yourself that you are working - when all you are doing is surfing the web. Every now and again there comes a time when you have to... JUST DO IT!
  • Profile picture of the author stevealways
    That's good advice Jan. A friend of mine has written 2 books and is 2/3's the way writing her 3rd. Takes determination and persistence to accomplish our goals.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3952283].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wklee
      Banned
      Thanks, I believe a lot of us are surfing here and didn't even get started yet when they are newbies.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3952408].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author marcuslim
      For some reason this is harder said than done than it used to be 10 or 20 years ago. These days, we get distracted too easily, we have too much information overload, and so taking action is something that does not come naturally anymore - instead, we tend to seek out distractions and consume information more than we produce.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3952418].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Wizardofwords
        Originally Posted by marcuslim View Post

        For some reason this is harder said than done than it used to be 10 or 20 years ago. These days, we get distracted too easily, we have too much information overload, and so taking action is something that does not come naturally anymore - instead, we tend to seek out distractions and consume information more than we produce.
        I think one of the best options is simply to turn all the distractions off. Turn off the television, the cell phone, the CD player, even the Internet if one must.

        Sometimes it's best to just have you, a computer screen and a keyboard.

        Signature

        Need articles, press releases, sales letters, multi-media, TV, or radio scripts? Click here to see much more about me, read testimonials, etc. Then E-mail me to discuss your needs and my rates!
        http://www.willblesch.com
        http://il.linkedin.com/in/williamblesch

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4067592].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author website12
    Banned
    This exactly what people to do good at intetnet marketing must do. This the best possible advice you will ever here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3952420].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author omk
      True, taking action is key.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4078469].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author efwebm
        If "just do it" was that easy, people would have a long time ago.

        People need to plan better to reduce distractions, reduce stress, and give themselves a clear path to follow to maximize their chance to succeed.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4078723].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robert M Gouge
    I agree.

    One trick that I've used in past self employment professions that very much applies to IM'ing is to create a schedule or routine for yourself. Create an environment conducive for getting a few things done. Soft background music, tv off, your extra laptop that you browse the forums on is put in the closet, etc.

    Make a promise to yourself that you're going to commit to this routine (even if its only a two hour/day routine) for one whole week. Once you get used to this, your mind will crave the same structure it has grown used to (no tv, no browsing on side computer, etc, etc) and then you simply expand on it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3952440].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PatrickP
      Originally Posted by Robert M Gouge View Post

      I agree.

      One trick that I've used in past self employment professions that very much applies to IM'ing is to create a schedule or routine for yourself. Create an environment conducive for getting a few things done. Soft background music, tv off, your extra laptop that you browse the forums on is put in the closet, etc.

      Make a promise to yourself that you're going to commit to this routine (even if its only a two hour/day routine) for one whole week. Once you get used to this, your mind will crave the same structure it has grown used to (no tv, no browsing on side computer, etc, etc) and then you simply expand on it.
      Great advice. I think years ago it was sharpening and resharpening your pencils. Now it is clicking send and receive, send and receive to check if you have a nice email to deal with rather than get down to work.

      Ok I will admit that is MEEEEEEEEE doing that darn it lol
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3952538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PatrickP
    Originally Posted by Jan Mostert View Post

    In 1931 - Novelist Sinclair Lewis was supposed to deliver an hour-long lecture to a group of college students who planned to be writers.
    Lewis opened his talk with a question:
    "How many of you really intend to be writers?"
    All hands went up.
    "In that case," said Lewis, "go home and write."
    And with that, he left.

    The moral being....
    ...stop thinking you will start something 'tomorrow'. Stop convincing yourself that you are working - when all you are doing is surfing the web. Every now and again there comes a time when you have to... JUST DO IT!
    And for that he charged $20, offered a follow up DVD for $5 per month with private meeting at his retreat for $1000

    And hence started the first 'Expert for hire' lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3952457].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Robert M Gouge
      Originally Posted by PatrickP View Post

      And for that he charged $20, offered a follow up DVD for $5 per month with private meeting at his retreat for $1000

      And hence started the first 'Expert for hire' lol
      Lol well played, sir.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3952507].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Boston Joe
      This is the best advice that most just don't take to heart (I know I didn't). As much as I was learning here browsing the forum, in the beginning it definitely took away from me working. I would browse for hours on end, learning a lot, but the fact that I wasn't really getting anything done really set me back.

      Do something. Anything. And you will learn a lot along the way.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3952519].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author H.Miller
    One of the best piece of advices I have ever heard. Thanks for sharing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3953597].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jkhurramov
    And this is one of most important things to succeed online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3953659].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JamesRiley
      a good tip is to write down what you want/need to get done online and set a time limit for it. For example:

      1) Work on Twitter Marketing for 1 hour, 10am-11pm.

      2) Research and contribute to Warrior Forum for an hour 11pm-12pm.

      3) Write content for my website for an hour 1pm - 2pm.

      4) Lunch 2pm- 2:30pm

      and so on.


      But for this to be effective, you have to ONLY do what you wrote down in that time frame. And don't go back to it for the rest of the day. No jumping and skipping and crossing over to other things. I surfed the web all day too, a WF post here, ok back to facebook, hey how many twitter followers do I have now, time to check e-mails, back to WF, oh I got a text, checking clickbank account, back to facebook, damn did i miss any tv shows...wait its the end of the day already? damn. tomorrow tomorrow. LOL.

      Only when I wrote down what I needed to do and saw it there in front of me was it easy to follow. Sometimes its hard to do things when the task are just floating around in your head.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3953701].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Barry Plaskow
        Originally Posted by JamesRiley View Post

        a good tip is to write down what you want/need to get done online and set a time limit for it. For example:

        1) Work on Twitter Marketing for 1 hour, 10am-11pm.

        2) Research and contribute to Warrior Forum for an hour 11pm-12pm.

        3) Write content for my website for an hour 1pm - 2pm.

        4) Lunch 2pm- 2:30pm

        and so on.


        But for this to be effective, you have to ONLY do what you wrote down in that time frame. And don't go back to it for the rest of the day. No jumping and skipping and crossing over to other things. I surfed the web all day too, a WF post here, ok back to facebook, hey how many twitter followers do I have now, time to check e-mails, back to WF, oh I got a text, checking clickbank account, back to facebook, damn did i miss any tv shows...wait its the end of the day already? damn. tomorrow tomorrow. LOL.

        Only when I wrote down what I needed to do and saw it there in front of me was it easy to follow. Sometimes its hard to do things when the task are just floating around in your head.
        Well said James... as the legendary Spike Humer says, "we can't control time, but we can control the actions we take during the time we have".

        Here's a call Spike did on this issue (no optin!)

        Fools Guide to Rapid Small Business Growth 05/23 by successbug | Blog Talk Radio
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4066287].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Okane
          Funny coincidence...

          Just today I created a new YT channel and uploaded the first video...
          And it's about...

          "How to Focus and Take Action"


          So, I couldn't agree more with the OP.
          This is really the key to success.

          Marc
          Signature

          signature is on holiday

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4066314].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jrodriguez315
    That is excellent advice. The problem for most people just started out is just do WHAT? We get presented with so many approaches, techniques, tools etc . . . that it boggles the mind. Nevertheless, Sinclair Lewis clearly had the right idea.
    Signature

    I'm saving 50% to 90% off all marketing tools & software tools at The Daily Gangster!

    Real people. Trusted Warriors, Making real money online, now reveal their Best Online Business Blueprint! Click here to learn more . . .

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3953980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author matt5409
    The OP is right - sometimes I slip into a working coma, where I find I need to jolt myself out of it and get back to it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3954695].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claire Sharp
    This is absolutely right! You just don't have to say i'll we working tomorrow or plan it. Better do it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3954763].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cloudzz
    Its true, people procrastinate to much. Give yourself guidelines and stick to it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3956547].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Niky Ray
      LOL! I loved it!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3958374].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amrutg
    Yes- every time or any time is best time to start - Just do it. do it. do it. and see the changes taking place in quality of your work, the authority of your work and the price of your work. so just start. Just do it.
    Signature

    Useful,informative articles on health,diet,exercise,home remedies,beauty,stress management, depression,happiness,fitness and much more -
    http://www.freebesthealth.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3961519].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustinDupre
    NIKE motto is so right! People spend too much time reading and trying to learn when it's best to take action and learn from it.
    Signature
    I offer CPA coaching and investment opportunities for those SERIOUSLY interested in making money directly or indirectly with affiliate marketing. PM me for details.


    Read More about CPA/Affiliate Marketing on my Blog
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3962024].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author panduari
    lol great advice...
    Signature
    GUARANTEEE $3000/month, i made it in 2 months.
    just Check This Out before you late
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3962036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eve Foss
    I know I tend to over-analyze. "Am I doing this exactly right? I better do a bit of research..." and then I spend more time figuring things out--when I should have just jumped in! Getting distracted, checking a news item, skipping through forum posts, and using up time where I should focus cuts way down on my level of efficiency.
    Weird--I was having this talk with myself on the way to work this morning! Maybe the Universe is trying to tell me something!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3962108].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Gubaru
      I see what you're saying but also having the right knowledge builds your confidence to take action.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4065316].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin Tan
    Thanks for the great advice Jan.
    Sometimes we need to be reminded to Just Do It
    without over-analyzing things.
    I also like to add something that will complement
    the phrase and that is Impossible Is Nothing.
    Signature

    Let emotions serve you and not enslave you.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4066085].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Miranda
    This just might be the greatest advice on this forum believe it or not. This advice is worth more than all the WSOs combined.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4066251].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bamidele_ba
    Originally Posted by Jan Mostert View Post

    In 1931 - Novelist Sinclair Lewis was supposed to deliver an hour-long lecture to a group of college students who planned to be writers.
    Lewis opened his talk with a question:
    "How many of you really intend to be writers?"
    All hands went up.
    "In that case," said Lewis, "go home and write."
    And with that, he left.

    The moral being....
    ...stop thinking you will start something 'tomorrow'. Stop convincing yourself that you are working - when all you are doing is surfing the web. Every now and again there comes a time when you have to... JUST DO IT!
    Wow! This makes complete sense - especially in the internet marketing world cos a lot of people keep on reading new tips and tricks on how to make money online and how to build a successful online business everyday but VERY FEW people take action.

    It really isn't about what you read but how you put it to use!
    Signature

    17 Year Old Blogger and Owner of YoungPrePro.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4066554].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kenwrites
      Tomorrow is Today. Planning and learning are good, but it does you absolutley no good until you take action. There are some good tips here along with the OP's original post.

      Theories are only theories until you take action..
      Methods are only methods until you take action..

      The profits are there. But until action is taken, you will never see it. Take action TODAY and you pull your profits closer to you. Take action every day, and you will reap the benefits of all of your combined actions.
      Signature

      Tried and true method to make money from home. Click here for the method that continually brings me $100s daily. (Excellent for Beginners)
      Information on content writing sites and making money with your writing at The Freelancer Today.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4066706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Webtistic
    Lol, that's a great story, and such brilliant advice too. I remember when I started out, I swear 90% of my time was taken trying to learn as much as I could and it took me ages to actually get started.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4066891].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamieSEO
    Originally Posted by Jan Mostert View Post

    In 1931 - Novelist Sinclair Lewis was supposed to deliver an hour-long lecture to a group of college students who planned to be writers.
    Lewis opened his talk with a question:
    "How many of you really intend to be writers?"
    All hands went up.
    "In that case," said Lewis, "go home and write."
    And with that, he left.

    The moral being....
    ...stop thinking you will start something 'tomorrow'. Stop convincing yourself that you are working - when all you are doing is surfing the web. Every now and again there comes a time when you have to... JUST DO IT!
    Excellent advice!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4067386].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AlexRosicky
    This situation applicable to other things in our life. If you think what you need start something then... Just do it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4067479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Avery Berman
    A few years back I was on marketing forums like this all day long every day... learning everything possible. Sure, I knew it all... but was I making money? No.

    So I stopped going to forums all together.

    And I started making money because I actually did stuff instead of convincing myself that forum surfing was somehow work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4067565].message }}

Trending Topics