Is there any use for spinning articles?

24 replies
I read some of the article spinning threads, and they all seem to point out, that there really is no spinning needed for any article. I post spun (with The Best Spinner) PLR-articles to my blogs to make some unique content.

But if I read correctly, I can save the money for using The Best Spinner and post the unaltered articles, as there is no difference. Is this assumption correct?
#articles #spinning
  • Profile picture of the author hotlinkz
    While I had done some spinning in the past, I don't any longer. Now, I simply syndicate exact copies of my articles to multiple directories and media sources.

    Google is also working to better detect variances in content. Even double-nested spinning can be detected using less complicated algorithms than most search engines employ.

    However, there is still money in the "spin" market and there are still proponents who swear by it. There are also a lot of article-based link building service who will not accept your submission if it is not spun.

    Either way, I am not making a judgement call - just saying I don't see that it's a viable alternative - if it ever was.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3981348].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kecia
    Spinning does nothing but provide you with sub-par content for your websites. The software isn't human, so you will be supplied with grammar errors and incorrect word usage. This shouldn't be what you want to provide to your visitors. Instead, I suggest you rewrite the PLR articles you have or outsource the work so you can get unique, quality content.
    Signature
    KeciaHambrick.com - Blogger. Content Creator. Social Media Enthusiast.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3981558].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LooseChange
      I agree with hotlinkz and Kecia08. Spinning articles is only going to dimish your writing credibility by producing poorly written versions of your original article.

      The best method is syndicating your content to a few trusted sources and hope your article generates enough interest to drive the traffic you're seeking.

      Furthermore, if the article and it's contents are merely advertising pitch, you're probably not going to generate much interest anyway. For me, after nearly 20 years on the internet, the minute I detect advertising pitch, I back away.
      Signature
      I'm not promoting anything
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3981713].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bethparker
      Originally Posted by Kecia08 View Post

      Spinning does nothing but provide you with sub-par content for your websites. The software isn't human, so you will be supplied with grammar errors and incorrect word usage. This shouldn't be what you want to provide to your visitors. Instead, I suggest you rewrite the PLR articles you have or outsource the work so you can get unique, quality content.
      If you depend on the software to do your spinning, the quality will certainly suffer. However, if you use the software as a tool and select the word and phrase substitutions manually, the quality can be just as good as if you had merely done a rewrite of the article yourself. The trouble with spinning is that too many people think they can get the software to do all of the work for them and end up with good articles. You can't.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3981761].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ganang
    Hei,

    Spinning is very important for build backlink on content site because we know that SEO need content with anchor text in it to make it relevant and not detected spamming by google.

    I ussualy spin article and submit to many directory article with add my website backlink on it. we need the backlink, we don't care about the quality LoL..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3981851].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by ganang View Post

      we know that SEO need content with anchor text in it to make it relevant and not detected spamming by google.
      There is no possible SEO benefit from spinning the articles.

      The link-juice derived from a backlink is not somehow magically "improved" by being attached to spun content rather than to syndicated (unspun) content. This is simply one of the biggest, longest-running, most-widely-believed urban myths of internet marketing there's ever been.

      As is so often the case with such misguided beliefs, there's a specific reason for that, of course: there's a huge industry "out there" (and sometimes even "in here") promoting spinning software, and it very reasonably fears for its survival if people realise that spinning affords them no SEO benefits at all. For this reason, its sales pages typically perpetuate and propagate the complete myth that "duplicate content" and "syndicated content" are the same thing, and sometimes even (but just for its more gullible audience!) that your own site will somehow be "penalised" by Google if you use syndicated (unspun) articles.

      As you can see explained in detail, in many threads here, far from attracting any "penalties", syndication is, in fact, the exact business model of some of the more experienced, successful and professional article marketing Warriors.

      Originally Posted by ganang View Post

      I ussualy spin article and submit to many directory article with add my website backlink on it. we need the backlink, we don't care about the quality LoL..
      The reality is that you'll get the identical backlink if you simply leave out the "spinning" stage and paste in the content unchanged. :rolleyes:

      Whatever benefits people imagine they may be deriving by "spinning" their content, SEO and backlinks are clearly not among them.

      Those interested in a more detailed explanation can do a lot worse than read all the incidental conversations/chat in this thread: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...eza-first.html . There'll be very, very few basic questions one can have about article directory marketing which aren't answered in there.

      As explained here in many other threads, in reality, it seems to me (opinion only, here, but it's well observed opinion and shared by many) that most people who fail at "article marketing" tend to fail in more or less the same way, and it's a way broadly characterised by ...

      (i) depending on article directories for traffic and backlinks;

      (ii) using "spinning" and/or "mass-submission" software;

      (iii) using a "rinse and repeat" model of article directory marketing;

      (iv) writing/submitting large numbers of shorter articles which are sometimes "salesy" in tone and have a prominent "call to action" in the resource box.

      You can be almost certain, every single time you see one of the ever-increasing threads we have here with titles like "Article Marketing Doesn't Work Any More" or "I'm Not Sure About Article Marketing Any More", that the person starting it off has been doing at least three of the four things mentioned above.

      In contrast, most people who succeed at article marketing succeed in their own slightly different ways, a little harder to describe succinctly, but often (I don't say "always", of course) characterised by ...

      (a) avoiding all the above (for example, writing much longer articles without an obviously sales-motivated call to action in the resource box, etc. etc.);

      (b) involving article syndication in their business model;

      (c) building an asset-based business which produces gradually increasing residual income from work already done.

      One thing's absolutely certain, and this forum's increasingly full of the evidence for it: people (like myself) who are switching from "spinning" to "not spinning" are definitely not switching back.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3982478].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        There is no possible SEO benefit from spinning the articles.

        The link-juice derived from a backlink is not somehow magically "improved" by being attached to spun content rather than to syndicated (unspun) content. This is simply one of the biggest, longest-running, most-widely-believed urban myths of internet marketing there's ever been.
        I'm afraid I have to call you out on this one, Ms Smith.

        You are 100% incorrect in your assertion there are no SEO benefits to be gained
        from spinning articles. You know this because you have been told this many times.

        Yet you continue to misinform and mislead people who are earnestly seeking information
        upon which they will make decisions about their course of action.

        As is so often the case with such misguided beliefs, there's a specific reason for that, of course: there's a huge industry "out there" (and sometimes even "in here") promoting spinning software, and it very reasonably fears for its survival if people realise that spinning affords them no SEO benefits at all. For this reason, its sales pages typically perpetuate and propagate the complete myth that "duplicate content" and "syndicated content" are the same thing, and sometimes even (but just for its more gullible audience!) that your own site will somehow be "penalised" by Google if you use syndicated (unspun) articles.

        The reality is that you'll get the identical backlink if you simply leave out the "spinning" stage and paste in the content unchanged. :rolleyes:

        Whatever benefits people imagine they may be deriving by "spinning" their content, SEO and backlinks are clearly not among them.
        I'm curious about something and maybe you can help.

        Is a link on duplicate content worth the same as on unique/original content? Can
        you please explain that and where you got your information?

        I'm not really sure how that could be tested. I mean, pretty sure there is no way
        to test for how much link juice is passed along. So, if we cannot know how much
        link juice is passed, then I'm not exactly sure how anyone could say they are even.

        Plus... you do know that there are lots of different reasons for doing quality spinning.
        (You always talk about s/w, but there are many different ways to do this.)

        For example, keyword variation, densities... also the concept of themes is certainly
        relevant as I'm sure you know. I am pretty sure this has already been pointed out
        to you, but you seem hell bent on ignoring it... or at least you choose against mentioning
        it in your diatribes.

        You have mentioned before that you have a little experience with spinning, years ago.

        But what you may not know, I'm guessing, is there are quite a few people who use
        spinning techniques that perhaps you are not aware of. There are, in fact, fairly
        powerful SEO benefits to be gained by using high quality spinning techniques.

        I'm not talking about using directories for backlinks. We all know they are not effective
        and have not been for years.

        I would suggest you are not aware of all that is possible with good quality spinning.

        Also, not defending those who sell the s/w you love to hate, but they do have their
        place in the scheme of things. They really do... just not alone as novices ( and critics
        like your self) seem to think.

        People who continue to be successful using high quality spinning - even post-Farmer,
        have moved way beyond what you only seem to know about. You always talk about
        directory backlinks and that is all.

        That is ancient history, Ms Smith.

        The truth of the matter is you do not know what you are talking about. Given that,
        why do you continue to spread bad information?

        You are doing a great disservice to a lot of people, and it is the people who are in
        the greatest need of accurate information... something you are incapable of providing,
        or unwilling to provide.


        Ken
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3982787].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author x3xsolxdierx3x
      Thanks for your insight. I'll be sure to ignore your posts in the future.

      Originally Posted by ganang View Post

      Hei,

      Spinning is very important for build backlink on content site because we know that SEO need content with anchor text in it to make it relevant and not detected spamming by google.

      I ussualy spin article and submit to many directory article with add my website backlink on it. we need the backlink, we don't care about the quality LoL..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3982764].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author christina ward
    I agree with every one else, spinning articles are a waste of time because it makes the article look like it doesn't make any since.

    Thanks
    Christina
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3981884].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author razorhound
    I don't think you should post spun PLR articles,at least not to your own site. I used to spin and submit them to article directories but now I just syndicate the exact copies and get my serp increased still.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3981897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author moonheart
    What I think that spinning is good if we only spin article upto two to three version, but if we spun article to extract 50 or 100 article, there is no value of such spun article. This is what I think.
    Signature

    G Web Pro Marketing Inc. - SEO Services Toronto

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3981911].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
    Excuse me, everyone - please..

    There is a lot of guessing and misinformation of all varieties in this
    thread and others.

    You can accomplish many things with proper spinning. Forget trying
    to do it all with a piece of s/w. Also, there are many techniques and
    approaches that work very well.

    A lot of people think it is only for trying to get backlinks from wherever.
    You can do that of course if you do it right. If you are just trying to
    get something for nothing, just like anything else, you will fail.

    One other thing I will tell you, is all of these threads only bring out those
    who think it is wrong, morally wrong, whatever...

    Trust me, try... you will NOT get the entire story from those who typically
    involve themselves in these discussions. People who know generally will not
    respond to these threads. Most likely because they do not care and are tired
    of the usual pissing match that results but also not typically initiated by them.

    Am I trying to sell you anything? In my sig? Anywhere? N O. I don't care
    what you do. But if you want to get the facts, then you will need to do
    your research and asking about it is not the right kind of research.

    Good luck.


    Ken
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3981931].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author asimbawany
    if you are posting plr articles to your site, I would say you need to re-write them rather than spin them because you will only need to have a single version of that spin...

    If you want to syndicate your content to article directories, then you dont need to spin at all and you can submit a single article to most directories out there...

    though if you are trying to build backlinks by posting content on other blogs, you will need to spin that content. not because YOU want your links from unique content but because the other website owner will only give you back links if you give them unique content and so spinning comes into play...

    and when you are spinning, no matter how good a piece of software is, it will never give you 100% usable content on complete auto mode... To make spinning work, you will always have to put in some part of manual effort to make the resulting articles any good.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3981971].message }}
  • I must say that 99% of the people replying in this thread are completely wrong.

    That was a blunt statement but I will stick to it.

    The fact is spinning articles are a great way of creating new content - it just depends on how you go about doing that - if you think that letting a piece of software do it for you then you'll end up like everybody else that gets frustrated with spinners and labels them as 'bad' and 'spammy'.

    First off you need to create a high quality article and then MANUALLY spin it yourself, making sure that there are no static words left (words that will appear in every single copy of your spun articles). Yeah sure, it might take you a few hours to spin it correctly and get it all grammatically correct - but in the end you will be saving yourself a lot of time because you'll then have 20 or more copies of that article that are unique AND provide quality content to a human reader!

    Those copies of your article would have taken you a lot longer to write up manually (whilst driving you crazy as you re-write the same article 20+ times) then it would have taken just to sit down for a few hours and spin one article into many quality articles.

    From here you can submit your articles to directories, web 2.0 sites and also use them for guest blogging and in related forums. The most important (in my opinion) is guest blogging as you are getting interested eyes onto your article - and these people can potentially come back to your website through your link on the other (which is another benefit in itself, a great backlink).

    The same thing happens to Scrapebox - it is labelled as spammy because people use it to blast out spammy comments to thousands of websites - many of which will automatically detect spam and block the comment - and then people wonder why they aren't getting the google ranking that they want and blame it all on the software.

    The fact is software like that is SOOO POWERFUL. It can be used to ping articles/find High PR blogs to manually comment on and can even help you find keywords. It truly is powerful...

    Anyway that last point is getting off-topic, so what should you take away from this?

    Work smarter, not harder - these pieces of software need human input and are extremely effective if used correctly.

    Take Care,
    Matt
    Signature
    Reserved for TheAnnoyingOrange
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3981992].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jideofor
    That's why software developers will always make money out of people's laziness. I don't know why one will want to prefer original content over artificial/clone content. There has never been and will never be a time when copied and cloned content will outclass original/unique content. Go the way of the hardworking and see yourself make more money. If you have ever read bill pat's ebook on content writing, you will know what i am talking about and again,it is free. Just my opinion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3982081].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DireStraits
    Pascal,

    To answer your question as I understood it: if ranking these pages in search-engines is of concern to you, rewriting this PLR content before publishing it on your site is pretty much a must, given that most PLR has been used (published) many times over, across many different sites, causing new instances of that same content to be filtered out of the SERPs. (Google likes to display diversity in its search results, rather than pages upon pages of the same stuff.)

    When people here advise not to spin/rewrite articles, they're normally talking to article marketers who would waste time writing/rewriting/spinning unique versions of their own articles for submission to article directories, for one or more of the following flawed reasons:

    (1) To avoid the articles being rejected. This doesn't happen - nearly all directories will happily accept non-unique, previously published articles, so long as they're submitted under an identical author-name as used elsewhere. This means that most PLR will need to be rewritten prior to submission to directories, but your own articles will not.

    (2) To avoid the "duplicate content penalty". The duplicate content penalty applies only to multiple instances of the same content within a single website. And in most cases, all that happens is that subsequent copies of that content are filtered out of the SERPs. Google only applies a penalty when they think content is being duplicated with malicious intent, across a single website, for the purpose of gaming their search results.

    (3) Some people believe, when mass submitting articles to directories, that the backlinks they'd acquire from doing so are worth more if the article to which each backlink is attached is completely unique. There is no evidence for this, and the reasoning purported to back up this theory is pretty flimsy and illogical.

    But again, posting PLR to your own site isn't going to do much good unless you rewrite it (not if your intention is to rank it in the SERPs, anyway) for the reason given at the beginning of this post.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3982995].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
      Originally Posted by KenThompson View Post


      You are 100% incorrect in your assertion there are no SEO benefits to be gained
      from spinning articles. You know this because you have been told this many times.
      Ken Thompson - I'm not really sure how that could be tested. I mean, pretty sure there is no way
      to test for how much link juice is passed along
      . So, if we cannot know how much
      link juice is passed, then I'm not exactly sure how anyone could say they are even.
      She's 100% wrong but you've no way to test it and you don't know how much link juice is passed?

      Can you explain how that makes her 100% wrong?

      Not here to argue Ken, I'm ever so bored with these arguements anyway.

      I'm also sure she's well aware that you, and those that thank you do it very well but you only have to read most of the reasons "the rest" spin to realise they're doing it to avoid a myth and because they think those directory backlinks are of such high quality.

      I'm not talking about you, Kurt, Terry or that annoying orange but most of the ill informed people, such as Ganang, who spins to escape the duplicate content myth and to get those all important directory backlinks as though they're coming from the front page of the White House. Lets remind ourselves of that gem of a post...

      Ganang - Hei,

      Spinning is very important for build backlink on content site because we know that SEO need content with anchor text in it to make it relevant and not detected spamming by google.

      I ussualy spin article and submit to many directory article with add my website backlink on it. we need the backlink, we don't care about the quality LoL..
      I love that last sentence.
      Signature

      Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3983094].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DireStraits
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3983176].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
        Originally Posted by Richard Van View Post

        She's 100% wrong but you've no way to test it and you don't know how much link juice is passed?

        Can you explain how that makes her 100% wrong?

        Not here to argue Ken, I'm ever so bored with these arguements anyway.
        Yes, she is 100% wrong about her comments re SEO and spinning. I don't think
        anyone knows how to test to see how much juice is passed. Do you know? If
        you do, then by all means enlighten us.

        Oh I know you are not here to argue, Richard. Me neither.

        I'm also sure she's well aware that you, and those that thank you do it very well but you only have to read most of the reasons "the rest" spin to realise they're doing it to avoid a myth and because they think those directory backlinks are of such high quality.
        I have no problem about the directory backlink comments. She is right about that.
        I stated that in my comment.

        This is not about directory backlinks. If you read what I said, it is pretty clear
        what it is about.

        But I noticed Ms Smith has not responded to my questions. There seems to be
        a typical pattern of letting the two of you do it.


        Ken
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3984354].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
          Originally Posted by KenThompson View Post

          Yes, she is 100% wrong about her comments re SEO and spinning. I don't think
          anyone knows how to test to see how much juice is passed. Do you know? If
          you do, then by all means enlighten us.
          Ken,

          That was what I wanted you to do, stating someone is 100% wrong requires a modicum of evidence to back it up.

          All I know is how I make my money and it works rather well. I have nothing to prove to this world in anyway shape or form. If you look through my posts I don't say I am an SEO expert and I think it's all rather silly to rely on Google anyway, or any third party. I do understand SEO but perhaps not to the level you and some others do but then, I don't need to you see.

          Oh I know you are not here to argue, Richard. Me neither.
          Good, so we can talk like gentleman.

          There seems to be
          a typical pattern of letting the two of you do it.
          Who are those two? Myself and....? Mike perhaps? One could say that certain members attack Alexa whether she talks about SEO or something altogether different.

          It really doesn't matter though, does it? This arguement goes on and on, it gets tedious and I find myself wanting to do more fulfilling things, like watching the grass grow.

          You have a nice evening Ken. As for Miss Smith not answering your questions, that is for her to do and perhaps she's just exercising some dacorum. Who knows, maybe she liked your signature...

          A wise (wo)man is superior to any insults which can be put upon him(her), and
          the best reply to unseemly behavior is patience and moderation. ~ Moliere
          I simply couldn't resist that

          Good luck with that JV you scored after reading Eric Louviere's thread, I'm pleased for you.

          All the best Ken.

          Rich.
          Signature

          Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3984505].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by kcartlidge View Post

    If you don't care about human readers at all, and there are many instances where this is the case, then automated spinning can multiply your content hugely.
    But no more than "not spinning" can "multiply" it, i.e. simply using syndicated content instead, like so many of the major international news websites do, syndicating their text content from Reuters, Associated Press and so on. (Doesn't seem to bother them or stop them from ranking at the top of Google, does it?).

    So it's all a fallacy.

    Originally Posted by kcartlidge View Post

    I'd say no to spinning if the target is human readers
    But if the target is search engines, there's no benefit from spinning anyway. The backlinks don't somehow magically "improve" just because they're attached to spun content rather than to unspun content; nor do they improve from being in a "main index" rather than a "supplemental index". Even people selling spinning software are not typically claiming that (they'd be laughed at, wouldn't they? Even more than they are now, I mean).

    So I respectfully disagree with you: I'd say the only benefits of spun content, if indeed there are any at all, relate to situations involving human readers.

    I don't doubt at all (and I never have done - and I've said this openly, consistently and frequently) that with skillful editorial input of your own, you can successfully spin something to be perfectly readable, literate and "fit for purpose": the problem is that it's typically faster, easier and better just to write something else instead. :rolleyes:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3983561].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      But if the target is search engines, there's no benefit from spinning anyway. The backlinks don't somehow magically "improve" just because they're attached to spun content rather than to unspun content; nor do they improve from being in a "main index" rather than a "supplemental index". Even people selling spinning software are not typically claiming that (they'd be laughed at, wouldn't they? Even more than they are now, I mean).
      This is where you are wrong, once again, Ms Smith. Whether the 'target' as you
      say is search engines or readers - and the best spun content is good enough
      for both, there are plenty of benefits.

      You are assuming all of it ends up in the SI - it does not. The rest is just repeating
      what you said, before.

      So I respectfully disagree with you: I'd say the only benefits of spun content, if indeed there are any at all, relate to situations involving human readers.
      You are wrong, Ms Smith. You ignore the truth, and you are misinforming people.


      Ken
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3984412].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        Originally Posted by KenThompson View Post

        You are assuming all of it ends up in the SI - it does not.
        Far from assuming that, I've commented here repeatedly that it isn't true at all.

        I myself have had several instances of an article on my site being at the top of Google's SERP's with the EZA copy of the identical article occupying (temporarily) a slot only two or three places lower - as have many others here, of course.

        The idea that all syndicated (identical) copies go into the supplemental index is yet another readily disproved myth: and one about which, albeit a little uncharacteristically, it seems we actually agree.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3984516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StatCentric
    I have my articles spun. But, I have them spun manually. Otherwise you can get some nonsense content. I use my originals for article directories and the spun versions for link wheels. Software can work well if you are really careful with the synonym selection. Always reach each word as part of the sentence and make sure it sounds correct grammatically. Then pair it up with the next selection of phrases, etc. Just depends on what kind of quality you want in return. Having them spun manually can be expensive though and it can cost almost as much as the original article, so it's really up to how much you want to spend and where the content is being used.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3984492].message }}

Trending Topics