(UPDATE 6/9/11, 1:20am, Co-Founder of North Social, Alex Bernstein, happened across this thread. Unable to post here directly, (I believe) he recognized me as having contacted North Social just prior and responded to me directly. As there was nothing of a private nature in the conversation, I informed him that I would repost our exchange in this thread as I feel that not only is it a good example of a business dialogue but that it further refines and clarifies both of our positions on this matter. It's a bit lengthy but for those of you who have 5 minutes to spare, you might find it interesting and informative. It should be posted around comment #37. You can't miss it. )After going over the offers and advertements of a handful of products that allow you to make a facebook fan page, facebook business page, etc, I can't find one that's truly standalone. Each one I've seen takes the customer hostage and requires them to keep paying monthly or else the created page no longer works. Im pretty sure it's legal, and I'm not saying it's unethical but I believe it is taking advantage of a lot of ignorant people...
...this, in my opinion, makes the market ripe for anyone who wants to create a standalone facebook page creator that allows people to create unlimited pages but with value-added offers that people can CHOOSE to buy, or quit. Since unrestricted use will likely lead to many pages, whether personal or professional, there could just be one full developer's license.
North Social - their model is the "app buffet", every acct gets access to all the apps with pricing dependent on number of followers and is PER page, with only the most expensive plan covering 5 pages. Here is the pricing:
Powerfully Simple Facebook Applications | North Social
But look at this statement in the TOS:
2. All of your Content might be immediately deleted from the Service upon cancellation. This information cannot be recovered once your account is cancelled.They can pretty much do whatever they want, whenever they want, to your service, or price, and not only do you have no recourse, you stand to lose your content when you quit -- YOUR CONTENT.
1. North Social reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Service (or any part thereof) with or without notice.
2. Prices of all Services, including but not limited to monthly subscription plan fees to the Service, are subject to change upon 30 days notice from us. Such notice may be provided at any time by posting the changes to the the North Social Site (northsocial.com) or on the Service itself.
3. North Social shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, price change, suspension or discontinuance of the Service.
3. North Social does not pre-screen Content, but North Social and its designee have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to refuse or remove any Content that is available via the Service.
I'm not saying they don't have the right to do that. I'm here warning people to be careful when choosing a facebook fan page creator and to fully understand what power it has over you, your business and/or your clients.
5MinuteFanPage (I believe they are also Get10,000Fans)
In a passing flash, the sales page video (I was told) mentions a "personal use" license, but when you get hit with so much info, a lot of it can be a blur but even if one DOES hear it, the sales process starts with a single user license -- unlimited personal pages, unlimited tabs, etc -- for $24.95/mo, but then it UPSELLS to a "developer's license" -- unlimited pages for anyone for (an additional) $47/mo, but it doesn't SAY its an ADDITIONAL price... just $47/mo for a developer's license.
Now, a huge debate could break out here because "there's a sucker born in every crowd" but as far as I know, A DEVELOPER'S LICENSE IS A DEVELOPER'S LICENSE IS A DEVELOPER'S LICENSE. If I'm going to be a developer, then a developer's license wouldn't EXCLUDE the developer from developing his/her OWN pages. It calls it a developer's license and tells you can make unlimited pages for anyone with it. I'm anyone, right? Then it doesn't say "for $47/mo more", it just says $47/mo
Ok, now, just for argument's sake, what you don't want to create pages for yourself but intend just to develop for local business? Well, it's ok for THEM to split up the license to force a cloaked UPSELL but it's not ok for the developer to split up the license to just pay for part that allows them to develop on OTHER peoples' pages?
To make their sales funnel more manipulative and, therefore, profitable, for them, they carve up the DEVELOPER'S LICENSE into a single user THEN a "Developer MINUS single user" upsell. Add to that, if you stop paying the monthly fee, all your fan page developments go buh-bye... that includes CLIENTS, too, so you are locked in FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.
I'm wondering if it's really only graphics that go buh-bye, or if they can, and do, disable code on your fan page somehow.
ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS? ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THESE, OR OTHER FACEBOOK FAN PAGE CREATION PRODUCTS? ANY STAND ALONE, ONE TIME PURCHASE FACEBOOK PAGE CREATORS?
Hope this helps,
ps. after contacting them, they told me they changed the wording to be more clear (but didnt tell me where) but none of this changes that the developers license is still carved up to create a force upsell into what isn't an actual developer's license. Either sell a developer's license, or not... but don't carve it up and pretend its a developers license for only $47/mo in the upsell.