Set-up and monetising advice for my daughter's book review site please.

by Peter Bestel 12 replies
My 11 year old daughter wants to set up a blog reviewing books that she's read. She was recently chosen to be a book reviewer for Blue Peter, the long-established (about 40 years!) BBC kids TV magazine programme, and thought she could use this platform for some credibility (Ah, we've taught her well!)

http://www.gallowaygazette.co.uk/new...ter.4277776.jp

But rather than just jumping right on in there, I'd thought I'd ask here if you had any ideas as how best to do it.

We want a search facility and maybe some kind of database - but I'm not too sure how complex/simple these need to be.

Although it will initially be simply a review site, I've suggested to her that she might want to make a little pocket money out of it too. She's VERY keen on the idea but apart from things like Amazon affiliates and Adwords, how else can we monetize the site?

Thanks

- Peter
#main internet marketing discussion forum #advice #book #daughter #monetising #review #setup #site
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Glenn Newsome
    Hello Peter,
    This may be some help for your daughter.
    Ross Dalangin had a WSO for a review script that seemed to be well liked back in Feb.
    (I just did a search, and he has another WSO for it at $17)
    Here it is:
    http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...uses-back.html

    Maybe that will help or give you ideas.
    Glenn

    P.S. Congratulations to your daughter for winning the contest. I sense a future Warrior in our midst!
    Signature
    WSO Addicts Blog

    AKA "webnetincome" before the big name changes!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[33129].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Monetize
    Hello Peter,

    I would setup a WP blog on my own hosting. You can
    monetize with a variety of affiliate products. Checkout
    the CPA section of WF for links.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[33719].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author flashgordon
      I have one that I run through Blogger. Not a full blown site, but more of a review blog. I monetize it through Adsense and Amazon affiliates. Works pretty well. You can see it in my sig. line.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[35586].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Peter Bestel
        Observation:

        I've not really taken much notice of review sites before, but I've checked some out over the past couple of days.

        Seems to me that the ones that get my attention use multi media to good affect (audio and video, duh!) as well as being 'comfortably' designed and, of course, have good content.

        Question (on a different point)

        Whilst avoiding the 'child exploitation' tag, how can we utilise the fact that my daughter's only 11? I'm struggling to come up with ideas that I'd be happy with.

        Any ideas?

        Peter
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39108].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Simplweb
          I just discovered that Mosets - Quality Joomla! Components (a directory for Joomla) has a review feature as well.

          Regrading the age aspect.....

          I think you need to be pretty careful, I would encourage you/her to write alot of the content herself so the "11 year old-ness" comes out and point out the Blue Peter bit.

          I would also probably not initially have visitor comments.... obviously, many of them would be kids and where kids hang out.... well.... unsavory people appear.

          I would suggest contacting some other site admins of sites targeted at youngsters and flat out ask them how they addressed this thorny issue.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[39130].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Peter Bestel
            Originally Posted by Simplweb View Post

            I just discovered that Mosets - Quality Joomla! Components (a directory for Joomla) has a review feature as well.

            Regrading the age aspect.....

            I think you need to be pretty careful, I would encourage you/her to write alot of the content herself so the "11 year old-ness" comes out and point out the Blue Peter bit.

            I would also probably not initially have visitor comments.... obviously, many of them would be kids and where kids hang out.... well.... unsavory people appear.

            I would suggest contacting some other site admins of sites targeted at youngsters and flat out ask them how they addressed this thorny issue.
            Thanks for the info. Not too sure if we'll go the Joomla route but thanks anyhow.

            We did want comments on the site but we thought I'd moderate them first. It's not nice what you have to think about when doing a project like this, but I guess that's just the way the world is. Shame.

            Good idea about contacting other sites - might just do that.

            Peter
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[40348].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
              your main focus at this point should be traffic, A simple site to set up is freewebs.com

              or you could just setup a simple squidoo blog.

              articles, book forums, youtube videos, all free theese are great ways to establish yourself as an expert in your field.

              it is important to brand yourself as a someone people will like and trust. who wouldnt love an ambitious 11 year old.

              Traffic is your main focus
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[40372].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Peter Bestel
                Originally Posted by nicholasb View Post

                your main focus at this point should be traffic, A simple site to set up is freewebs.com

                or you could just setup a simple squidoo blog.

                articles, book forums, youtube videos, all free theese are great ways to establish yourself as an expert in your field.

                it is important to brand yourself as a someone people will like and trust. who wouldnt love an ambitious 11 year old.

                Traffic is your main focus
                You know, you're absolutely right, but here's the weird thing. All my instincts as an IMer seem to have left me. It's obviously because this is my daughter's site but I think I'm a little spooked.

                I don't know if that makes sense to you - just how I feel.

                Having said that, and just to immediately contradict myself, keep the suggestions coming.

                Peter
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[40405].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sylviad
      Originally Posted by Monetize View Post

      Hello Peter,

      I would setup a WP blog on my own hosting. You can
      monetize with a variety of affiliate products. Checkout
      the CPA section of WF for links.
      Just a caution I posted a moment ago in another thread:

      If you go with the free Wordpress blog service, you will get shut down quickly if you link to affiliate products directly. That happened to me a few months back with my fitness review blog.

      You could try striking up a JV with someone who would be willing to do a Paypal-type profit sharing system, rather than going as an affiliate. That would bypass any problems with Wordpress. In other words, find someone selling a similar product to the ones she is reviewing.

      Just one question. If she is reviewing books she's read, do you know if they have affiliate programs? Those are the people she should approach to do the JV.

      Ads are another option if you go with a proper web site, but it will be difficult at first until she can show reasonable traffic. I would ask the publishers of the books she's reviewing if they'd be willing to place a small ad to go with the book review.

      Sylvia
      Signature
      :: Got a dog? Visit my blog. Dog Talk Weekly
      :: Need articles, ebooks written? - Award-winning Journalist is taking new projects. Warrior Discounts!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[40399].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics