This Tip Will Blow Your Mind!

52 replies
Be short and daring and get to the point quick.

Use words that draw vivid pictures. "This tip will blow your mind", is a much better title than" this is a good tip that will help you get your readers attention". Wouldn't you agree?

What is your secret to writing good titles?

UPDATE:

I felt bad for disappointing so many people, so I decided to add more value to my original post.

In his book "Copywriter's Handbook" Bob Bly identifies 8 types of headlines. I want to list each one with a quick example.

1. Direct Headline (Just say it)

One Simple Tip To Write Better Headlines

2. Indirect Headline (Raise Curiosity)

Write it and They Will Come

3. News Headline

Brand New Way to Write Headlines

4. How to Headline

How to Write Headlines that Grab Readers

5. Question Headline

Who Wants to Write Perfect Headlines?

6. Command Headline

Click Here to Learn Secret for Perfect Headline

7. Reason Why Headline

4 Reasons Why You can't Afford to Write Bad Headlines

8. Testimonial Headline

45 Warriros Can't be Wrong - Learn How to Write a Perfect Headline


I hope I will be forgiven
#blow #mind #tip
  • Profile picture of the author rite
    this is a great tip. Lacking the art of using visually descriptive words is often what holds some marketers back. but it is a two way street some times you can use the wrong word to describe something and it can produce a negative effect. this is why the psychology of marketing is so fascinating
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4168321].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    I don't get a very vivid image of my mind being "blown". Actually - I'm feeling pretty damned let down after reading that title and then reading the post. This title is nothing but what is commonly referred to as "Hype".

    Frankly - there's a LOT more to language than figuring out how to write a hyped up title that doesn't have material to back up the hype. If this were an ad being written to make money - you blew it. Big time. Had it been a "good tip" it might not have been as initially attractive, but it wouldn't have left the reader feeling burned for reading it.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4168633].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Benjamin
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      I don't get a very vivid image of my mind being "blown". Actually - I'm feeling pretty damned let down after reading that title and then reading the post. This title is nothing but what is commonly referred to as "Hype".

      Frankly - there's a LOT more to language than figuring out how to write a hyped up title that doesn't have material to back up the hype. If this were an ad being written to make money - you blew it. Big time. Had it been a "good tip" it might not have been as initially attractive, but it wouldn't have left the reader feeling burned for reading it.
      Do you see how effective and how strong an emotional
      response you got because of your expectation?

      It's a great psychological method and instead of being
      upset with the content - take it as a lesson to use the
      headline yourself in relation TO content that lives up to
      the expectation.

      In other words...

      take the headline. Modify it for a blog post, article, email.
      And actually MAKE the content live up to the promise.

      You can either take away the positive or negative of it,
      but the reality is the guy made us click, respond, and
      got exactly what he wanted...

      something more to think about than "I was tricked".
      Signature
      **How I FLIPPED $80 into $690 Pure Profit With ONE EASY Method...2 to 3x Per Week...Only 30 Minutes Per Day (and how YOU can COPY my RESULTS, too!) **CLICK HERE FOR VERIFIED VIDEO PROOF**
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4168939].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webmarke
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      I don't get a very vivid image of my mind being "blown". Actually - I'm feeling pretty damned let down after reading that title and then reading the post. This title is nothing but what is commonly referred to as "Hype".

      Frankly - there's a LOT more to language than figuring out how to write a hyped up title that doesn't have material to back up the hype. If this were an ad being written to make money - you blew it. Big time. Had it been a "good tip" it might not have been as initially attractive, but it wouldn't have left the reader feeling burned for reading it.
      You are missing 1 important point in your rant...HeySal. The idea is to get the reader to read what you wrote.

      No matter how good your piece is few people will read it if the headline does not grab them.

      That's the point of the post.

      Did he deliver..In a way he did. He proved his point by getting you to read his tip.


      So his tip really proved itself.

      You may look down on such tactics but you fall for them anyway..that's evident.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4170071].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author feedtherightwolf
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      I don't get a very vivid image of my mind being "blown". Actually - I'm feeling pretty damned let down after reading that title and then reading the post. This title is nothing but what is commonly referred to as "Hype".

      Frankly - there's a LOT more to language than figuring out how to write a hyped up title that doesn't have material to back up the hype. If this were an ad being written to make money - you blew it. Big time. Had it been a "good tip" it might not have been as initially attractive, but it wouldn't have left the reader feeling burned for reading it.
      Sorry, I think you are very right. I had good intentions but, to be honest I never expected so many people would click on it. At best I was hoping for this thread to get a few advises from people that I can use, instead it turned into this big discussion.

      Anyway, I've updated my initial post. Hopefully it is a little more helpful now.
      Signature

      I am not a guru, nor do I pretend to be one. I am here to learn and to share my experience. Everything that I say, I say from my heart.
      Porn Addiction Stop Porn with Candeo ; Overcoming Pornography Addiction. Sex Addiction Rehabs Porn Addicted Husband

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4172657].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Enis
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      I don't get a very vivid image of my mind being "blown". Actually - I'm feeling pretty damned let down after reading that title and then reading the post. This title is nothing but what is commonly referred to as "Hype".

      Frankly - there's a LOT more to language than figuring out how to write a hyped up title that doesn't have material to back up the hype. If this were an ad being written to make money - you blew it. Big time. Had it been a "good tip" it might not have been as initially attractive, but it wouldn't have left the reader feeling burned for reading it.
      The thing is, it's not the same for everyone. You have a point but even though because you are experienced you'll won't think twice, some newbie will still not hesitate to purchase.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4173434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Edie47
    No tip today - still learning. I think writing descriptive headlines is extremely important. Unfortunately, I'm not good at that form of creativity!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4168644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DavidTT
    use the power of curiosity to get to people.

    MEN ONLY, read this! (get it??)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4168658].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jaguar-TI
      Even though the OP intentions could be honest in sharing some info regarding how to increase the appeal of the titles of your posts or articles, next time try to back it up with more information. Doing that way, people won't feel "burned" like it was commented above.

      However there is an opportunity for good writers to chip in with their 2 cents about how they come up with great titles and the reasons of their success.

      Might ass well use the thread for something.

      Cheers,


      Jaguar
      Signature

      I can translate to Spanish all your articles and strategies.

      Opportunity + being prepared, but go ahead and call it luck.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4168762].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
    The title of this thread can get the thread viewed by a lot of people although
    using this method to get your threads opened to often can also have adverse
    effects and cause people to ignore your future posts.

    As Sal stated above, I was also disappointed when I opened the thread.

    Just my .02
    Have a Great Day!
    Michael
    PS, Since I gave my .02, I guess the Tip didn't blow my mind!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4168765].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    I work on drawing those word pictures without falling back on cliches like 'Ninja' whatsits or 'thingamajigs on steroids/crack/etc.'

    Maybe it's generational, but when someone promises to 'blow my mind', about all I can picture is a scruffy Tommy Chong in a ratty tie-dye tee shirt and headband...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4168844].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Benjamin
    Awesome.

    This tip rocks! Although I too would have loved to
    seen more TIPS of this nature.

    Why not give us 5 or 10 examples of these head
    -lines and maybe a short tutorial on how to make
    these headlines?

    That's what I think people really expected (myself
    included).

    Nonetheless, I got something very valuable out of
    it because it ties in directly with the email content
    I put together and made for a great headline.

    P.S. Anytime a thread gets a 20% response in ratio
    to total views DESERVES to be studied regardless
    of the content inside.
    Signature
    **How I FLIPPED $80 into $690 Pure Profit With ONE EASY Method...2 to 3x Per Week...Only 30 Minutes Per Day (and how YOU can COPY my RESULTS, too!) **CLICK HERE FOR VERIFIED VIDEO PROOF**
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4168891].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
    So something like...

    "See Cars Hit Walls At High Speeds!"


    I think that would get some attention, I can see a WSO on that very subject right now explaining how one needs to diversify their income!
    Signature
    You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4168992].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ExRat
      Hi WhoIsBenjamin,

      Originally Posted by HeySal
      I don't get a very vivid image of my mind being "blown". Actually - I'm feeling pretty damned let down after reading that title and then reading the post. This title is nothing but what is commonly referred to as "Hype".

      Frankly - there's a LOT more to language than figuring out how to write a hyped up title that doesn't have material to back up the hype. If this were an ad being written to make money - you blew it. Big time. Had it been a "good tip" it might not have been as initially attractive, but it wouldn't have left the reader feeling burned for reading it.
      Do you see how effective and how strong an emotional
      response you got because of your expectation?

      It's a great psychological method and instead of being
      upset with the content - take it as a lesson to use the
      headline yourself in relation TO content that lives up to
      the expectation.

      In other words...

      take the headline. Modify it for a blog post, article, email.
      And actually MAKE the content live up to the promise.

      You can either take away the positive or negative of it,
      but the reality is the guy made us click, respond, and
      got exactly what he wanted...

      something more to think about than "I was tricked".
      You are setting multiple traps with this post, which is actually self-defeating, or rather, possibly misleading for those who don't know better. This happens most times that these kind of headline threads appear.

      Allow me to explain -

      Trap 1 -

      Do you see how effective and how strong an emotional
      response you got because of your expectation?
      HeySal stated that she felt let down (and that others will, therefore it's ineffective as a strategy.) Just because you are going to twist any negative response into 'an emotional response' does not necessarily mean that it actually was. This also doesn't mean that it's effective, as HeySal explained.

      So the trap is that anyone who doesn't agree is automatically labelled as 'emotionally responding', which in turn means that (in your opinion) it's 'effective.' It doesn't mean that it's effective. If you're actually trying to sell something, getting a response like 'you tricked me' does not translate into mansions, boats or sports cars, it translates into 'fail'.

      Trap 2 -

      You can either take away the positive or negative of it
      The positivity trap.

      If someone points out the negative aspect to this (people who experience bait and switch aren't impressed or compelled to buy) they are labelled as negative, in other words 'their negativity is blocking them from seeing the positive benefits.'

      So the end result is - either you respond 'positively', suggesting that this a great tip, or you are branded as 'blinded by negativity.'

      Trap 3 -

      the reality is the guy made us click, respond, and got exactly what he wanted
      By setting this trap, there could be loads of people who are unimpressed for logical reasons, but they can't respond or you will claim that 'you responded, therefore it's effective.'

      This is also totally ignoring the fact that if the person feels tricked or let down, it clearly isn't effective. You are suggesting that he 'got exactly what he wanted', but in reality he didn't and nor would anyone else who copied this tactic.

      Something more to think about than 'it got you to click/respond.'

      Want to know why I said that your 'positive' approach to this could be misleading for those who (don't appear to) know better?

      See posts like this -

      I just read the heading and was forced to look inside, so this tip is a great idea.
      Signature


      Roger Davis

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4169361].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
        The title got me to look - well done.

        Trouble is, I thought as soon as I opened it, it was an attempt to flash your porno sig.

        I was even going to report it until I read the rest.

        Great subject line but you have to match the follow up to meet it, otherwise people think you're playing a trick on them.

        So many emails I look at are like this.

        It's so easy to crack a great subject line but unless you can follow it up, I'd say you'd get a bunch of unsubscribes.
        Signature

        Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4169541].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author alcymart
          Originally Posted by Richard Van View Post

          The title got me to look - well done.

          Trouble is, I thought as soon as I opened it, it was an attempt to flash your porno sig.

          I was even going to report it until I read the rest.

          Great subject line but you have to match the follow up to meet it, otherwise people think you're playing a trick on them.

          So many emails I look at are like this.

          It's so easy to crack a great subject line but unless you can follow it up, I'd say you'd get a bunch of unsubscribes.
          I agree with Richard, one needs to follow up, and that obviously comes through experience, but thank you for putting forth this Tip which acts as a refresher here.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4173194].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alex jones
    I just read the heading and was forced to look inside, so this tip is a great idea.
    Signature
    http://www.linkodir.com/
    http://true-finance.blogspot.com/
    Facebook//khalid_mohd108@hotmail.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4169275].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    Interesting. The tip is actually good but it's not a mind-blower. Now, had you said:


    This Tip Sucks!


    You'd have gotten virtually the same open rate, and... People would have actually praised the info because the tip doesn't suck, it's really pretty good. Simple psychology: Under Promise, Over Deliver.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4169287].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brian Clark
    I think that John Carlton uses the term "power words" to describe a similar concept.

    Of course, if you say, "This tip will blow your mind", you should be prepared to back it up with something that has tremendous value.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4169347].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sscot
    Copied it for checking....... My feelings are excellent.
    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4169624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BeauJustin
    I don't get the bitching. The guy demonstrated the importance of a provocative title, and then proved it, which is why most of you opened his thread.

    It wasn't meant to "blow your mind". It was an outstanding demonstration of how crucial the title is to getting your content read.

    The thread, in and of itself has provided an invaluable service by proving its point, beyond doubt, without bloat.

    Work on your damned titles, and stop tearing people down.

    Thanks OP.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4169679].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ankur420420
      Hi

      The title was pretty catchy and exciting..but do you think getting people's attention and then not giving them what they came for is good?

      how will it ever help?

      thanks
      Ankur
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4169701].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
      Originally Posted by BeauJustin View Post


      Work on your damned titles, and stop tearing people down.

      Thanks OP.
      I personally didn't "tear" anyone down down. I was just stating my opinion in a discussion forum, quite a normal thing. All I added was that it's best to follow up on that subject line, if you don't like that, no problem at all.

      Feedtherightwolf - Hey guys, sorry if anybody felt cheated. The title and the conversation that followed WAS the TIP, not the body of my post. The post was lame, but it is beyound the point. Although it does serve as good example that good title is only partt of the equation
      I think you made a very valid point and don't think there's any need to apologise. My apologies if my reaction was taken as negative. It wasn't mean't to be. Merely how it's important, as you've just said, to make sure the follow up is as catchy and inspiring as the subject line.

      Frankly you got a lot of attention from this, from a lot of good people, so I salute you for that and at the end of the day, you proved a point, I certainly opened it.

      adamj2 - Yeah definitely, a little bit of creativity like that can easily make what would be a boring bit of content, more eye catching.
      It would make the so far unread boring content more eye catchy but would the boring content be any more effective, or less, as a result?
      Signature

      Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4169960].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
      Originally Posted by BeauJustin View Post

      I don't get the bitching. The guy demonstrated the importance of a provocative title, and then proved it, which is why most of you opened his thread.

      It wasn't meant to "blow your mind". It was an outstanding demonstration of how crucial the title is to getting your content read.

      The thread, in and of itself has provided an invaluable service by proving its point, beyond doubt, without bloat.

      Work on your damned titles, and stop tearing people down.

      Thanks OP.
      You are missing the point. First, no one is tearing anyone down. Yes, the title worked in getting people to open the thread. And it disappointed many who read the tip. I felt that way. This is an interesting experiment that should not polarize people but provide a learning experience.

      The lesson to take from this is, use a grabber of a headline to capture attention and get people to either open an email or read further into a sales letter.

      And... Once you've done this you have to be able to deliver on the promise. If this was an email delivered to a list of moderate to savvy marketers there would absolutely be some people opting out because this is a good tip, maybe a very good tip but it's not a tip that will blow any seasoned marketer's mind because they already know the importance of capturing attention with a headline.

      Promise ---> Deliver. Anything short of that will only serve to piss off your audience. That's the point.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4170084].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BeauJustin
        Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

        You are missing the point. First, no one is tearing anyone down. Yes, the title worked in getting people to open the thread. And it disappointed many who read the tip. I felt that way. This is an interesting experiment that should not polarize people but provide a learning experience.

        The lesson to take from this is, use a grabber of a headline to capture attention and get people to either open an email or read further into a sales letter.

        And... Once you've done this you have to be able to deliver on the promise. If this was an email delivered to a list of moderate to savvy marketers there would absolutely be some people opting out because this is a good tip, maybe a very good tip but it's not a tip that will blow any seasoned marketer's mind because they already know the importance of capturing attention with a headline.

        Promise ---> Deliver. Anything short of that will only serve to piss off your audience. That's the point.
        No, I didn't miss the point at all.

        The people who feel hustled are expecting just a little too much from a forum post. This isn't a WSO. It's just a simple thread on a Forum, which demonstrates the power of a well-written headline to increase click-throughs. On that level it works very well.

        Instead of feeling burned that you weren't blown away by the content, maybe you should go back and read the title, and try to figure out the cues which caused you to click in the first place.

        That's where the power is, and you might actually find yourself being blown away by the introspection itself.

        This is one of those rare moments of clarity where you were persuaded to take action, albeit a small one, and are completely aware of it.

        Figure out why you were persuaded in the first place, and you'll have a great building block to work upon for your future writing projects.

        The assumption that an audience "already understands" anything is a good way to miss opportunities.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4170420].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
          Originally Posted by BeauJustin View Post

          No, I didn't miss the point at all.

          The people who feel hustled are expecting just a little too much from a forum post. This isn't a WSO. It's just a simple thread on a Forum, which demonstrates the power of a well-written headline to increase click-throughs. On that level it works very well.

          Instead of feeling burned that you weren't blown away by the content, maybe you should go back and read the title, and try to figure out the cues which caused you to click in the first place.

          That's where the power is, and you might actually find yourself being blown away by the introspection itself.

          This is one of those rare moments of clarity where you were persuaded to take action, albeit a small one, and are completely aware of it.

          Figure out why you were persuaded in the first place, and you'll have a great building block to work upon for your future writing projects.

          The assumption that an audience "already understands" anything is a good way to miss opportunities.

          A rare moment of clarity? I'd say that's a pretty dramatic portrayal of anyone's reaction and hardly accurate. I opened this post for the same reason everyone else did. Curiosity. End of story. And, the promise made was not delivered. Close maybe but not close enough. Am I angry? Hell, no.

          As someone who has been getting paid for going on three decades to get people to "click here" and drawing them into some form of content or copy I find this thread educational and entertaining. Some will actually learn from it. I believe the OP has learned a lot from it.

          I'm pretty good at writing grabber headlines. And I learned early in the game that if you want to stay in the writing business your content or copy better deliver on the promise in the headline. My interest in this thread stems from my own experience in writing. I have nothing to prove here because I've been living this stuff for years.

          If I were to entertain your notion that any exciting headline is okay as long as it gets the reader's attention I'd be out of business as a writer in about a week. And the fact that this is "just a forum post" and it doesn't matter that much is irrelevant. This is a learning opportunity for people though some absolutely refuse to look at it for what it really is.

          If any headline that gets someone to click or read further is acceptable why not just go wild every time we write anything. Here's one for you:

          Seven Members Of Congress Found To Enjoy Sex With Animals!

          How's that for an attention grabber? I guarantee that thing will get a phenomenal open rate. But unless you have some proof of the claim or some juicy rumor it's true, you're finished as a writer because no one will ever trust you again whether it's a forum post, an email, the headline to a sales letter or the teaser statement for the nightly news. Again, that’s the point.

          I don't expect I'm going to change your mind. And that's okay. Peace.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4171332].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HeySal
      Originally Posted by BeauJustin View Post

      I don't get the bitching. The guy demonstrated the importance of a provocative title, and then proved it, which is why most of you opened his thread.

      It wasn't meant to "blow your mind". It was an outstanding demonstration of how crucial the title is to getting your content read.

      The thread, in and of itself has provided an invaluable service by proving its point, beyond doubt, without bloat.

      Work on your damned titles, and stop tearing people down.

      Thanks OP.
      I opened it because I was trolling through the threads and often open stuff that doesn't really send off buttons and whistles when I am in here. If you send me an email with a line like that it goes into the trash or spam without being looked at. I'm already over rehash hype.
      Signature

      Sal
      When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
      Beyond the Path

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4170625].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author feedtherightwolf
    Hey guys, sorry if anybody felt cheated. The title and the conversation that followed WAS the TIP, not the body of my post. The post was lame, but it is beyound the point. Although it does serve as good example that good title is only partt of the equation
    Signature

    I am not a guru, nor do I pretend to be one. I am here to learn and to share my experience. Everything that I say, I say from my heart.
    Porn Addiction Stop Porn with Candeo ; Overcoming Pornography Addiction. Sex Addiction Rehabs Porn Addicted Husband

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4169771].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author adamj2
    Yeah definitely, a little bit of creativity like that can easily make what would be a boring bit of content, more eye catching.

    Especially with really clever creative phrases like this with well-written press releases, would stand a better chance of getting a nice bit of syndication going like that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4169808].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    I think benefit titles are among the best types/styles of title to use. Let me explain...

    Benefit titles clearly state what the main benefit is of reading your post. The right words have massive persuasion power. The wrong tactics have the power to repulse.

    Example Benefit Titles:

    • How to Choose a Good Web Host
    • Safely Lose 5 Pound Per Week
    • How to Stop Spam Cold

    These titles clearly tell the reader what the benefit of reading the post would be. People who are interested in gaining that benefit will read the message, or at least begin reading it. The quality of the post itself will determine if they read it in its entirety.

    Those title examples also clearly target a specific type of information seeker. Good titles are properly targeted. Sheer volume means nothing. I'd rather hit 100 bulls-eyes than 1,000 random numbers around the bulls-eye.

    Delivery of the promised benefit is important to avoid letting down your audience. This has been clearly demonstrated by the reactions in this thread.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4170169].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Fafa
      That was a great post there Dennis..I like how you broke your explanation down
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4170211].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author globalaffiliate
    wow, my mind is blown :rolleyes:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4170484].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kulbaby
    yeah but its a pretty good tip
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4170486].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Benjamin
    ExRat,

    You're VERY intelligent and thorough in the way you break
    things down to a microscopic level, but quite frankly...

    it wasn't meant to be taken so seriously - and it reflects on
    the lesson of the original thread.

    I guess I could reply in response to each point you made...

    but why bother when you've done it so well?

    Although I agree with some points made, the fact that you
    took a good portion of time to write that response to me is
    again, PROVING that the original thread INSPIRED you to
    write extensively on a subject you clearly feel doesn't illicit
    the intended emotional response.

    I don't know many people who would write so extensively
    IF the subject matter didn't inspire them enough to do so.

    Do you not see how your RESPONSE to my opinion on this
    subject led you to WRITE your detailed opinion about it?

    The fact is...

    regardless of what's being said...

    there are both STRONG positive AND negative reactions...
    and there's something to learn from both sides.

    The original poster STILL got the response he was looking
    for, and you passively deny that fact - when our response
    IS in some way emotionally charged - otherwise we would
    not be here responding.

    So, the thread WORKED, and what I suggested is that we
    use it not the same way as the OP did, but in a creative
    way to improve our headline writing skill in all areas of our
    marketing.

    I DID learn something from it. And no, the headline isn't the
    only determining factor in a successful marketing piece, but
    it DOES matter - and the OP PROVED it -

    ...and YOU proved it with your response, as I'm proving it
    here - lol.

    This is interesting...
    Signature
    **How I FLIPPED $80 into $690 Pure Profit With ONE EASY Method...2 to 3x Per Week...Only 30 Minutes Per Day (and how YOU can COPY my RESULTS, too!) **CLICK HERE FOR VERIFIED VIDEO PROOF**
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4171110].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author midasman09
      Banned
      Too many headlines nowadays SHOW they are either;
      A) Created by "Newbies"
      or
      B) Directed at Newbies

      ...when they use the terms "Blow Your Mind" or...use the word "Insane".

      Here's the MOST POWERFUL AD HEADLINE IN HISTORY of Ad-Dom. Watch how it "GRABS" you and 'FORCES" you to continue;

      "THEY ALL LAUGHED WHEN I SAT DOWN AT THE PIANO...BUT WHEN I BEGAN TO PLAY......"

      I "think" that's how it went.

      One other that was a "Big Puller" for years, was the title of a book;

      "HOW I WENT FROM FAILURE TO SUCCESS...IN SALES!"

      The Main job of the Headline is to...."Sell" readers on reading further!"

      "Money" figures always pull too. One of my first BIG pullers was;

      "$720 A DAY...SENDING FAXES!"

      This was back in the late 80's when Faxes were BIG. I had discovered a way to get Restaurants to pay me to send their "Daily Specials' to local offices.

      In fact....one guy who bought my "Fax-Bux" program is STILL sending faxes for the SAME 42 Deli's in NYC.

      He STILL gets 42 Deli's to pay him $25 A DAY....$125 a week ($125 x 42 = $5,250 A WEEK) (The money is taken right out of their checking account every Monday morn with a software program called "Checks-By-Fax")

      Now...$5,250 x 52 weeks = $273,000 A Year....and....the guy's been doing this since 1996! $273,000 A Year x 14 yrs = 3,822,000....NEARLY 4 MILLION BUX...Sending Faxes.

      If you think "Faxes" are dead...ask your Pharmacist if he uses "Faxes". Or, phone any office and ask if they send or receive Faxes.

      Thus....the Words you use in a Headline are KEY to grabbing people and getting them to continue reading your Sales Letter or Ad.

      Don Alm....still using headlines
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4171344].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author projectrobot
    you had me clicked your thread. so your title works
    Signature

    Forex pays my rent, car and shopping. Simple and Easy Money Making Forex Web App ♥ Find out Here ♥

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4171362].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tess47
    Your post title certainly had me curious, but after opening quite a let down. This is exactly what you DO NOT want in your articles and web pages!

    Building up a prospective client's curiosity and expectations only to tear them down will result in fast failure! I see the benefit in a great title, but you can go a bit overboard

    JMHO
    Signature

    Tess
    Ghostwriting Services - Exceptional Content With An SEO Twist!
    Internet Marketing Tips - Straight Talk Marketing! Is Success on YOUR Horizon?
    Content Writing Services - Great. Content. Period.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4171437].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claire Sharp
    Eye catching title! But sometimes you have to be very careful in creating an article title. It is very important that in making article title, you should consider using the proper word/s.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4171492].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author greenowl123
      This type of headline will get their attention one time... maybe.

      If they are on your mailing list and you make a habit of this, they will unsubscribe like nobodies business.

      I learned the hard way !
      Signature
      Free 40-page eBook "How To Earn With CPA Offers"
      + 14 Free Traffic Training Videos -
      Click here now. (no opt-in required)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4171511].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author beamup
    This was the line I used to write when I used to write for adult articles...
    Signature

    Glad to be back again!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4171635].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BeauJustin
      This ENTIRE thread was meant to be a forum to share your ideas on writing catchy headlines. It's not about mind blowing content. Did you not see the question he asked: What is your secret to writing good titles?

      What's amusing is that those of you complaining about the sophomoric inanity of the title, clicked just like the rest of us.

      In a different situation, if the primary purpose of the thread was forum marketing, and if he actually had intended to deliver some great content upon the click in order to gain subscribers/traffic - this would have been a perfect example of great marketing.

      BUT THAT'S NOT THE INTENT.

      He wrote a Headline that got clicked. And tried to start a discussion about headlines which got overtaken by The Committee of the Easily Offended.

      Instead of hijacking a guys thread, and lecturing him on how he wasted 15 seconds of your precious time, why not share your ideas on writing headlines.

      Get over yourselves.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4171779].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iluxa22
    Curiosity is the strongest emotion in grabbing attention. This is why we all clicked and where motivated to leave a comment. Some naive people... took the title to heart and made a negative image in their head having their head blow away... thus leaving a negative comment saying that's false advertising lol... don't take this offensive if you found your self in those shoes... Thank you for the thread
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4171897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CoverGraphix
    Nicely done sir.

    Now, to take this tip and re-write my signature.

    Next, on to the blogs!!
    Signature
    Covers that jump off the page and force customers to pay for YOUR products!
    eBook Covers - DVD Covers - CD Covers Report Covers - Notebook Covers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4171939].message }}
  • Great headline it got me to open!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4172882].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ExRat
      Hi WhoIsBenjamin,

      Am I supposed to either -

      a) not answer, because if I answer you will suggest that this means you are right and I am wrong?

      or

      b) just copy/paste what I wrote about 'Trap 1' again, because even though it accurately and unemotionally explained the logic behind my opinion, it's as if I never wrote it?

      Hi BeauJustin,

      What's amusing is that those of you complaining about the sophomoric inanity of the title, clicked just like the rest of us.
      Even though you are confessing to an emotional reaction ('What's amusing is...') you are still falsely projecting that reaction onto anyone else who doesn't agree with your assertion and is simply offering an unemotional explanation - that's where the trap is being set and that's where you (and others) are refusing to see what's in front of you.

      It's no skin off my nose if people don't get it. I will carry on with my business in entirely the same frame of mind as if I hadn't responded here. No emotional expense. I enjoy contributing to threads here and sometimes helping people if I can, even if I disagree with others within the thread.

      Where you are getting confused (deliberately?) is when you use the word 'complaining.'

      There are two reasons for this.

      1) Many of us aren't complaining at all, we're simply making an observation that we feel is educational in some way, but the trap you are trying to set is including us as it's alleged 'prey'

      2) If there is a tone that resembles complaining in some of the replies, it's because they are people who act with social responsibility in terms of what they write here. They feel a responsibility towards making sure that something close to 'helpful truth' is established, rather than seeing all of the people that this thread will inevitably atrract (because they always do) who will take the OP's advice at face value, act upon it and then come back some time later complaining that their unsubscribe rate is really high, or that they are getting hits but no sales.

      So in other words, if someone tries to correct bad advice in this thread, because that's what they tend to do in this forum when they see it, you are going to call them negative or accuse them of complaining along with suggesting that this proves that the original advice offered is justified and therefore a good tactic to use.

      He wrote a Headline that got clicked. And tried to start a discussion about headlines which got overtaken by The Committee of the Easily Offended.

      Instead of hijacking a guys thread, and lecturing him on how he wasted 15 seconds of your precious time, why not share your ideas on writing headlines.

      Get over yourselves.
      It's clear to see from the above which side of this discussion is getting over-emotional. Coincidentally, it's the same side that is accusing the other of doing precisely that, even though it's an inaccurate assertion.

      We have already shared our ideas on writing headlines (but some are looking past it) -

      * don't use bait and switch

      * don't use headlines which almost guarantee that you will have a more difficult time building trust in order to make a sale

      * use headlines to get attention that achieve multiple aims that are in harmony with the aims of the salesletter/email/forum thread etc

      Hi iluxa22,

      Some naive people... took the title to heart and made a negative image in their head having their head blow away... thus leaving a negative comment saying that's false advertising lol... don't take this offensive if you found your self in those shoes...
      Absolutely no offence taken - they're not my shoes, even though you're suggesting that I am wearing them.

      But I disagree with your points made and would refer you back to post#18 (and others) because your point has already been completely negated, but you may have missed it.

      It is interesting to see that some are suggesting that those who have some experience of this subject and have participated in threads dealing with this exact topic many times before, are 'naive' and are only responding through lack of emotional control.
      Signature


      Roger Davis

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4173182].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author feedtherightwolf
        Originally Posted by ExRat View Post

        Hi WhoIsBenjamin,

        Am I supposed to either -

        a) not answer, because if I answer you will suggest that this means you are right and I am wrong?

        or

        b) just copy/paste what I wrote about 'Trap 1' again, because even though it accurately and unemotionally explained the logic behind my opinion, it's as if I never wrote it?

        Hi BeauJustin,

        Even though you are confessing to an emotional reaction ('What's amusing is...') you are still falsely projecting that reaction onto anyone else who doesn't agree with your assertion and is simply offering an unemotional explanation - that's where the trap is being set and that's where you (and others) are refusing to see what's in front of you.

        It's no skin off my nose if people don't get it. I will carry on with my business in entirely the same frame of mind as if I hadn't responded here. No emotional expense. I enjoy contributing to threads here and sometimes helping people if I can, even if I disagree with others within the thread.

        Where you are getting confused (deliberately?) is when you use the word 'complaining.'

        There are two reasons for this.

        1) Many of us aren't complaining at all, we're simply making an observation that we feel is educational in some way, but the trap you are trying to set is including us as it's alleged 'prey'

        2) If there is a tone that resembles complaining in some of the replies, it's because they are people who act with social responsibility in terms of what they write here. They feel a responsibility towards making sure that something close to 'helpful truth' is established, rather than seeing all of the people that this thread will inevitably atrract (because they always do) who will take the OP's advice at face value, act upon it and then come back some time later complaining that their unsubscribe rate is really high, or that they are getting hits but no sales.

        So in other words, if someone tries to correct bad advice in this thread, because that's what they tend to do in this forum when they see it, you are going to call them negative or accuse them of complaining along with suggesting that this proves that the original advice offered is justified and therefore a good tactic to use.

        It's clear to see from the above which side of this discussion is getting over-emotional. Coincidentally, it's the same side that is accusing the other of doing precisely that, even though it's an inaccurate assertion.

        We have already shared our ideas on writing headlines (but some are looking past it) -

        * don't use bait and switch

        * don't use headlines which almost guarantee that you will have a more difficult time building trust in order to make a sale

        * use headlines to get attention that achieve multiple aims that are in harmony with the aims of the salesletter/email/forum thread etc

        Hi iluxa22,

        Absolutely no offence taken - they're not my shoes, even though you're suggesting that I am wearing them.

        But I disagree with your points made and would refer you back to post#18 (and others) because your point has already been completely negated, but you may have missed it.

        It is interesting to see that some are suggesting that those who have some experience of this subject and have participated in threads dealing with this exact topic many times before, are 'naive' and are only responding through lack of emotional control.
        I think you both are rightt, the more experience a person has the less this thread appers to be useful. Personally, I am somewhat new to this (about 2 years) and just beginning to gett profitable, so writing good headlines that get response is still a great experience for me.

        Sometimes I felt that people ignore my posts on this forum, but this feeling is inacurate, it is simply an indicattor that my titles fail to attract readers attention. And this thread is a living proof of that.

        Also I learned a lot becauuse it was scarry to use such an. Outrageous title, because I knew people will rally up against me for not being able to deliver, and while I would never do it to my regular readers, I feel like this forum is the place to experiment with stuff like that and get honest feedback.

        Plus, writing about stuff really helps. Me learn it myself, so I appreciate this opportunity!
        Signature

        I am not a guru, nor do I pretend to be one. I am here to learn and to share my experience. Everything that I say, I say from my heart.
        Porn Addiction Stop Porn with Candeo ; Overcoming Pornography Addiction. Sex Addiction Rehabs Porn Addicted Husband

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4174945].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dagaul101
    Nice tips, always getting to the point will keep the interest of your potential customer
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4173309].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Benjamin
    ExRat,

    After reading my initial posts on this thread, I've come to
    the conclusion that MY understanding on using headlines
    was expressed in a way in which I only understood...

    you were simply trying to tell people the following:

    * don't use bait and switch

    * don't use headlines which almost guarantee that you
    will have a more difficult time building trust in order to
    make a sale

    * use headlines to get attention that achieve multiple
    aims that are in harmony with the aims of the salesletter/
    email/forum thread etc

    I do believe you explained it very well to those who could
    easily confuse using BIG headlines and titles as a cruch &
    not as a tool to get the overall message across.

    When I made my argument, it was from the perspective of
    someone who *knows* the difference in using it ONLY if it
    makes sense to the big picture.

    I wasn't THINKING from the perspective of someone who
    might look at my comments and interpret it as "good" to
    use flashy headlines with no substance as a newbie.

    ...and occasionally I forget that this forum is a major source
    to get their information to stay on course -- so you are in
    fact RIGHT in helping people see the difference in using a
    headline like that responsibly, and when it crosses the line.

    The headline is great...but not *as it is* with no content or
    real substance behind it.

    I was defending the line itself based on how I personally
    would use it, and not responding to the dangers of using
    the line the way the OP or other new marketers would use
    it (the wrong way).

    I like you...and respect you, ExRat - And I admit that I will
    stand corrected.
    Signature
    **How I FLIPPED $80 into $690 Pure Profit With ONE EASY Method...2 to 3x Per Week...Only 30 Minutes Per Day (and how YOU can COPY my RESULTS, too!) **CLICK HERE FOR VERIFIED VIDEO PROOF**
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4175318].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andrea Wilson
    Cool headline and you got a click through. I appreciate that the post is complete. I wouldn't want to see a catchy headline to discover a post with no quality.

    Andrea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4184624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author infomaniacs
    I have just used the subject line "This Software Will Blow Your Mind" in an email to my list. Will let you know the results It is a different approach to what I usually do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4195551].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seriousdave
    Awesome!! Really helpful tips. Thanks for sharing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4195594].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crystalDMP
    Thank you so much for the post. There are so many times that you know all the tips but just couldn't arrange or organize them right, then someone came along organizes them and puts them down, making everything easier and clearer for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4195624].message }}

Trending Topics