Testimonial - Does It Matter?

51 replies
Apologize if same thread exist before. But one thing come to my mind when read a thread in this forum about fake testimonial.

If there's really the so called paid testimonials or fake testimonials, then does testimonial still matter to get customer's trust?

Is testimonial mandatory? And does it mean we will never get sales if we don't put any testimonials for the product we sell?
#matter #testimonial
  • Profile picture of the author Justin Newcastle
    Testimonials are a very powerful sales tool. They add immense credibility/believability by offering an objective review.

    If you're just launching, consider giving out free review copies to some of your prospects'. Later ask if they'd be willing to offer an honest testimonial.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4188237].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dadamson
      Originally Posted by Justin Newcastle View Post

      Testimonials are a very powerful sales tool. They add immense credibility/believability by offering an objective review.

      If you're just launching, consider giving out free review copies to some of your prospects'. Later ask if they'd be willing to offer an honest testimonial.
      Good advice.

      I always use REAL testimonials so the fact that there are services out there that create fake ones kinda hurts me.

      When launching a product always give away some free review copies in exchange for an honest review.

      If selling through this forum, always put your testimonials in "quote" code so that people can see what was actually said on the forum. - Or go one better and ask your reviewers to write something in the actual thread that you are promoting your product from.

      Cheers,
      Dave
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4194197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    I never use testimonials until I actually get them. When I launch a product, I launch without them and when they start rolling in, I add them to the sales page. So many people use fake testimonials that people ignore testimonials now, especially when they show up immediately after a product is posted in the WSO forum.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4188395].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LooseChange
      I would never, ever buy a product or service based on a testimonial.

      In fact, whenever I see testimonials lauded about a product or service, I generally run away as fast as I can.

      Call me skeptical but if testimonials were actually important why didn't the biggest companies of all time use them? Think Google, Yahoo, eBay, etc..

      When I think of testimonials, I think acne products, weight loss, get rich quick schemes and all the other junk out there that is designed to liberate consumers from their hard earned cash.

      If you have a good product or service, the track record will speak for itself.
      Signature
      I'm not promoting anything
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4188433].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Richest
      Originally Posted by Justin Newcastle View Post

      Testimonials are a very powerful sales tool. They add immense credibility/believability by offering an objective review.

      If you're just launching, consider giving out free review copies to some of your prospects'. Later ask if they'd be willing to offer an honest testimonial.
      I agree, especially in this forum, it will be easier to get honest review

      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      I never use testimonials until I actually get them. When I launch a product, I launch without them and when they start rolling in, I add them to the sales page. So many people use fake testimonials that people ignore testimonials now, especially when they show up immediately after a product is posted in the WSO forum.
      That's what I mean, getting sales without testimonial first, but then get real testimonial from the real buyer. I don't think many people have such confidence like you to launch product without testimonial first. What a great job
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4188435].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Scott Kennedy
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      I never use testimonials until I actually get them. When I launch a product, I launch without them and when they start rolling in, I add them to the sales page. So many people use fake testimonials that people ignore testimonials now, especially when they show up immediately after a product is posted in the WSO forum.
      IMO this is the best way to do it. It's a natural progression from launching, having people buy, having them like the product and then leaving a testimonial (review). They're important as they add social value to not only your product but yourself as a business person.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4188661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ladywriter
    What I have noticed some people doing is to have testimonials that cover all the negatives someone could think of. For instance, a video series might have a testimonial like 'I usually hate videos but I love these!' Real or not, I think they probably help.

    Zero is not a good idea.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4188423].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author scrofford
      Originally Posted by kstark View Post

      Real or not, I think they probably help.

      Zero is not a good idea.
      Actually if you are talking about fake testimonials helping in any capacity that's wrong. You don't have to use testimonials. True testimonials help, but if you don't have any of those, it's better to go without until you do. There's products that sell all the time without testimonials.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4201837].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author msmir75
    Because of seeing so many fake testimonials I don't purchase a product/service based on testimonials either. Who knows if it is real. I just call or email the seller and see if the product or service will fit my needs. Then I base my decision on that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4188446].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Richest
      Originally Posted by LooseChange View Post

      If you have a good product or service, the track record will speak for itself.
      Cannot agree more
      Originally Posted by msmir75 View Post

      Because of seeing so many fake testimonials I don't purchase a product/service based on testimonials either. Who knows if it is real. I just call or email the seller and see if the product or service will fit my needs. Then I base my decision on that.
      Like this
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4188495].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ram
      if you are selling to jaded Warriors and other marketing cynics then testimonials don't matter much. That's not a slam, BTW. Some people are just either too familiar with the dodgy stuff sometime used or too cynical in general to buy testimonials.

      But to the general public? Still gold. That's why infomercials are loaded with them.

      So, who are you selling to?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4188499].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Richest
        Originally Posted by Ram View Post

        if you are selling to jaded Warriors and other marketing cynics then testimonials don't matter much. That's not a slam, BTW. Some people are just either too familiar with the dodgy stuff sometime used or too cynical in general to buy testimonials.

        But to the general public? Still gold. That's why infomercials are loaded with them.

        So, who are you selling to?
        Wow, okay, this is something new for me to consider. Thanks
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4188644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author The Wizard
    A good "true" testimonial, particularly in video, is a sure fire way of gaining quality new business. Testimonilas in writing fro "Pete and Beth" don't have any credibility.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4188498].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KamauAustin
    Testimonials are PHENOMENAL sales tools if you know what the Hell you are doing! So please listen up to what has helped me?

    1. Avoid using all the the usual people - the Internet Superstars unless you are in IM and doing JVs to their list. I can't over state this!!!

    2. Get prominent people to do testimonials. When I get an ebook done I go after very prominent people so people know these are real testimonials and not fake.

    For example I get PhDs, MBAs, Directors of National Nonprofit Business organizations, well known media personalities, doctors, lawyers, etc. I let them read my book or eBook (after I really bust my butt to make it the best content it can be). Also I put their web sites or organizations in their testimonials (all though you don't make it a clickable link so people click away) so people feel they can check and see if this is a real testimonial.

    3. If the person is a prominent person like a PhD, MBA, Doctor, etc. but they are not a recognized personal brand like a media personality build up and inform people about their significance before you go into the basic body of their testimonial.

    If you do this you will build powerhouse testimonials which really help you to sell. Stay away from the false testimonials or regular suspects in IM. They in most cases are a waste of time. Lastly you'd be surprised how easy it is to get a person who has an advanced degree to review your eBook.

    Network and see if you know people or have family members with advanced degrees or run major organizations to see if they will read it. Then get their comments and ask if you can use it as a Testimonial.
    Signature

    Kamau Austin, helps emerging businesses vibe, survive, and thrive online. He is a Dadpreneur and Publisher of: eINFoNews . Austin is also a author of Raise Cash Fast and a SEO and Social Media Professional. Contact him at: Search Engine Plan

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4188655].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
      Originally Posted by KamauAustin View Post

      Testimonials are PHENOMENAL sales tools if you know what the Hell you are doing! So please listen up to what has helped me?

      1. Avoid using all the the usual people - the Internet Superstars unless you are in IM and doing JVs to their list. I can't over state this!!!

      2. Get prominent people to do testimonials. When I get an ebook done I go after very prominent people so people know these are real testimonials and not fake.

      For example I get PhDs, MBAs, Directors of National Nonprofit Business organizations, well known media personalities, doctors, lawyers, etc. I let them read my book or eBook (after I really bust my butt to make it the best content it can be). Also I put their web sites or organizations in their testimonials (all though you don't make it a clickable link so people click away) so people feel they can check and see if this is a real testimonial.

      3. If the person is a prominent person like a PhD, MBA, Doctor, etc. but they are not a recognized personal brand like a media personality build up and inform people about their significance before you go into the basic body of their testimonial.

      If you do this you will build powerhouse testimonials which really help you to sell. Stay away from the false testimonials or regular suspects in IM. They in most cases are a waste of time. Lastly you'd be surprised how easy it is to get a person who has an advanced degree to review your eBook.

      Network and see if you know people or have family members with advanced degrees or run major organizations to see if they will read it. Then get their comments and ask if you can use it as a Testimonial.
      Great advice dude
      Signature
      'If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.' Vincent Van Gogh.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4189760].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TroelsJepsen
        I think it still matters with the testimonials. We who are interesting in selling stuff online hear stories about fake testimonials bought on Fiverr or whereever very often, so for us it seems logic that people might no longer trust testimonials.

        But to people who are not talking about, reading about or in any other way dealing with internet marketing on a daily basis, it's a different story.

        Also keep in mind, that most people who are reading a sales letter on some level want to believe, that the product can help them solve their problem, so they also on some level want to trust the testimonials they read.

        It's been a while since I've bought anything online, and I would never buy something based solely on a testimonial, but I'll admit that there is a bigger chance of me buying a product if at has page after page of positive feedback and no negative, which is the case for some WSO's.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4189997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Richest View Post

    Apologize if same thread exist before. But one thing come to my mind when read a thread in this forum about fake testimonial.

    If there's really the so called paid testimonials or fake testimonials, then does testimonial still matter to get customer's trust?

    Is testimonial mandatory? And does it mean we will never get sales if we don't put any testimonials for the product we sell?
    Testimonials definitely still matter when it comes to gaining a customers trust. Remember that outside of the IM niche, there are probably a lot of people who may suspect, but really don't know if testimonials are bought.

    They are not absolutely mandatory, but they can definitely help boost a customers view of your product. Just make sure that the ones you post are detailed enough so that people don't think that it is just a generic or paid for testimonial.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4189424].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clickasite
    The way I look at it, your probably not the only one selling your product or something similar, so when people search for your product they are most likely to opt for the company with the best reviews rather than non at all. Don't waste your time creating fake reviews either, people can tell. If your customers are actually happy with the service you have provided there will be no trouble getting testimonials from them.

    Kind Regards
    Clickasite (website designers and internet marketers)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4189540].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author magnates
    I never under estimate the power of a testimonials . people are often looking to others to figure out how they should act . Testimonials are a powerful . I have bought programs many times because it had over 20 testimonials from respectable people i follow . Bought lots of programs because i did not see any negative review from our very critical warrior forum (people will call you on the warrior forum if you product is crap )

    People want to know that others have been successful with your strategies before they pat their money . Testimonials are very useful tool for social proof and people buy purely from testimonials . Something worth testing , get a grabbing headline and a lot of testimonials and a "Buy Now" button . You should get some sales form that alone . It is something you can test yourself .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4189605].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rockyonfire
    Testimonials are great for the sales page. I use them. People actually read them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4190416].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author O0o0O
    Testimonials usually increase the conversion rates significantly. Many times, people purchase just based on the testimonials. With that being said, if you get caught using fake testimonials, your operations are likely to get shut down.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4190431].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myeanne
    Yes, it does really matter.

    Testimonial is one way of advertising your product/services. We, as a company, we always asks testimonials from our clients, these words will be a reference to other clients who will be interested to what you're offering.

    I would suggest to ask permission from your clients to put their full name and website on the testimonial page, to prove that the said testimonial is true.
    Signature
    Staff Leasing
    We Lease Offshore Employees

    Hire inexpensive labor from the Philippines!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4192843].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by myeanne View Post

      Yes, it does really matter.

      Testimonial is one way of advertising your product/services. We, as a company, we always asks testimonials from our clients, these words will be a reference to other clients who will be interested to what you're offering.

      I would suggest to ask permission from your clients to put their full name and website on the testimonial page, to prove that the said testimonial is true.
      Getting testimonials from clients is one thing. Getting testimonials before you have clients is another thing. Fake.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4192870].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author adamj2
    I most take notice of testimonials by other warriors in WSO threads and in discussion threads.

    Or if I happen to come across a sales page on the Internet for an IM product or service and it has reviews from other warriors, screenshots from forums etc then they definitely help up my mind.

    And in general I usually specifically search out testimonials before I buy a product. And then I only take notice of peoples opinions in forum discussion threads and not the ones put on the official sales page (unless those testimonials originate from the warrior forum).

    Would think you will be ok to start without testimonials if your sales page is not too hypey and maybe you can record a video introduction for the sales page to help build trust. Then just add on real testimonials from paying customers (or free reviews) as they come in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4193069].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KamauAustin
    The reason I get PhDs, MBAs, Doctors, Lawyers, etc., to do testimonials is because these people do not put their credentials or certification on the line for just anything. Is their reputations that they are putting out there.

    Most people instinctively know this. So their testimonials organically seem to build more trust in the public's mind.
    Signature

    Kamau Austin, helps emerging businesses vibe, survive, and thrive online. He is a Dadpreneur and Publisher of: eINFoNews . Austin is also a author of Raise Cash Fast and a SEO and Social Media Professional. Contact him at: Search Engine Plan

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4194028].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jamie Charles
    Throw me into the group that says testimonials work.

    In my experience I have seen a tested 5-10% sales increase at least. I have been incorporating facebook posts/wall into my sales funnel and the early numbers look great.

    Social proof absolutely works.
    Signature
    Action! - Action! - Action!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4194032].message }}
  • For me testimonial is very important, but you have to be wise which one is real or manipulated. When i want to buy a product i always look for reviews and testimonial coz it really ads credibility but then i again i always weigh if its fake or real.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4194248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xavierfok
    Hi Richest,

    Testimonials can really help especially for sales online. The video ones are better than the written ones. Live ones are the best. The one that i saw made loads of cash was when they put testimonials within every 5minutes of presentation.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4194399].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 04Fire
    Dan Kennedy says you should have a "preponderance of proof", and that definitely includes testimonials.

    I know there's a lot of reason to be skeptical online, but I look at testimonials like they certainly can't HURT anything. All they can do is add value.
    Signature

    Jonathan

    Done For You SENuke - Why spend $147 a month on search engine ranking software with a HUGE learning curve when I can probably do it BETTER, for 1/3 of the price?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4194441].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
      Originally Posted by 04Fire View Post

      Dan Kennedy says you should have a "preponderance of proof", and that definitely includes testimonials.

      I know there's a lot of reason to be skeptical online, but I look at testimonials like they certainly can't HURT anything. All they can do is add value.
      Dan Kennedy is wrong then.

      You need a 'preponderance of reputation.'

      Testimonials are ego, mutually. I remain because of reputation.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4223489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author blillard
    Testimonials can make all the difference. Look at the wso section here and see a product with tons of reviews and one without. You will clearing see that people want social proof before making a purchase.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4194632].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gary Ning Lo
    In terms of WSOs i found that testimonial alone can sell...

    If you have lots of testimonial and a bad copy you can still make a killing.

    Cheers,

    ~Gary
    Signature
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4195287].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Richest
      Originally Posted by garytsang View Post

      If you have lots of testimonial and a bad copy you can still make a killing.
      And a lot of refund request?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4201620].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Underground SEO
    testimonials are very powerful and will increase your sales massively usually, however, don't got down the route of getting paid testimonials, that's cheating your customers and will probably back fire at some point, just deliver good value and then you'll have more than enough people will to send over a testimonial
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4195295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ProvenViral
    Testimonials can be the lifeblood of your sales as most often times people will look at reviews and "testimonials" prior to buying your product.
    Signature
    "Things may come to those who wait, but only things left by those who hustle". - Abraham Lincoln
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4201764].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrHurry
    I feel ultimately it all depends on who your audience is and your end goal. Use them wisely (on landing page to pre-sell, or check out page to reassure buyers decision...or both) and more importantly perhaps use them in a unique and/or creative way and they can be very beneficial.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4201829].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rekerlolz
    I think using a testimonial to help promote something is a fantastic idea. It really depends what your are promoting as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4201854].message }}
  • Yes testimonial do matter! I like to see someone else had success with the product before I buy it. I much rather see that its working for someone else than it working for the owner of the product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4205413].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    I've got a product with REAL testimonials that are so spectacular that I even have trouble believing them - and I MADE and use the formulas myself. I even have one that is a back and forth conversation with someone that said one of my formulas worked in 5 minutes - I wrote back and said I made the stuff and couldn't believe that one - She wrote back and blasted me. It was phenomenal -- but they are not on my site. I took them down because they LOOKED fake. I also didn't want the FTC crapping on my party because there's no way to prove "consistant results". I don't know how much of a routine people would follow and what their other habits are. Too much that can't be controlled to prove consistent results - and FTC demands consistency for a testimonial to be deemed usable. How do we do that with many, or any, of our products.

    Since most people would have thought the testimonials were paid for, etc. I don't think it's hurting me a bit to not have them.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4205487].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mattlaclear
    Testimonials work. In fact they are our secret weapon here on the forum as far as our wso's go. Just make sure to leave the screen names of Warriors along with their individual testimonials.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4205546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dayj99
    Statistics clearly show that generally testimonials increase conversions. However, the content of the testimonials, how many testimonials are used, where they are placed on your site, ect, ect, all can impact conversions, so A/B testing is the key to finding out what works best for your niche and traffic source.

    Also, another little tip if you have good testimonials is to place them on your order form if possible. This helps to reduce cart abandonment.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4205944].message }}
  • As a customer, I personally dont care about testimonials unless the testimonial comes from a VERY reputed source. Let's face it, most of the testimonials tossed in Sales Pages are faked or received in exchanged for a free copy of the product.

    So nop, I never pay attention to testimonials. I dont think you need them if you explain clearly what the product is about in the Sales Page.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4206295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author anhart23
    It doesn't mean you cannot sell if you don't have testimonials but they really boost up the selling process because potential buyers would get an insight about the product they may buy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4207067].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seo jack
    Customers look for testimonials of others because those 'customers' won't lie about your product, it will be an honest review.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4209742].message }}
  • i use them on hotdamnshortsales because they are powerful and REAL. Ive also noticed a direct relation to google searches for peoples names and businesses that are testimonials on our site. they are obviously checking to see if everything jives, I don't blame them i do the same thing. When they search for the peoples names and businesses on my testimonials sales page, they come up legit. they then click "buy!".

    but yes, can people use fake ones, or at least doctor them up, absolutely. you can usually tell the fake ones and real ones, at least I think I can. something about them doesn't jive or feel right.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4209768].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author larrybr
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4222676].message }}
  • The Testimonial is not needed I have made thousends of sales on many products and more then half with no testimonials it's not needed I know most people will disagree but keep in mind before you belive them that 99% of the people on this board just talk and never made their first penny they are profetinal students who nitt pik problems.
    Signature
    soon people... Relax...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4223376].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
    Testimonials are just part of the "proof" element and like other proof elements, they are not necessary.

    That being said, the more "proof" elements you have the easier the sale will potentially be. So as soon as you start getting testimonials I would use them. Just like any other "proof" element, use what you have and add to it as you collect those elements.

    PROOF ELEMENTS:

    - Factual proof
    - Testimonial Proof
    - Case studies
    - Demo videos
    - Relevant credentials
    - Media proof
    - As Seen In (Chiclets)
    - Interviews you have done

    These are just a few... Hope that helps you!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4223405].message }}

Trending Topics