There are so many people who would give just about anything to go online full time but I did just the opposite. You see, I am an accountant and I love business consulting. I recently had a Certified Public Accountant call me and offer me a job over the phone. No, I wasn't looking for one. He had heard about me through a mutual client.
The CPA firm I work for pays me fantastic money. I have benefits. They put money into a retirement plan for me. We were closed from Christmas to New Years and I got paid for every day. They pay very large bonuses after tax season. I have life insurance, disability insurance, they pay the health insurance and put $250 in a health savings plan for me each and every month and I have dental! They pay for that, too! All of the people there are over 40 and they have been with the company for many years. I'm the new kid in town!
I am a people person and I love meeting with clients face-to-face. I love the personal interaction with people. I love solving their business problems and helping them build their business.
I have started almost completely over online and I am building a more diversified portfolio. 2009 will see me get into affiliate marketing much more than I have in the past. I am going to move away from creating my own products and go to marketing other people's products. I am going to start focusing on building much larger lists.
Look, I'm not trying to brag or say that I am better than anyone else. I just want to make the point that you should always do whatever it is you love to do. A lot of people give up their passions to try to make the big bucks and money will not make you happy. Happiness is what we are all trying to achieve and it doesn't come from having money or any other external things. Happiness comes from within and you have to learn to be happy in any circumstances.
You need to understand that life is short and it goes by in the blink of an eye. I am 54 years old and those years have passed by so quickly that I don't even have a clue where they went. I don't have much QUANTITY left in years but I have every intention of having QUALITY years.
Don't make life out to be a race because the end of the race is really the END of the race! This is not a movie. When the Director yells "CUT" that is all there is... there are no retakes or do-overs. It's a wrap. It's all over. Finished!
Slow down. Enjoy life. Maybe the online world is right for you and maybe it isn't. Learn where your strengths lie and work to overcome your weaknesses.
Here is an article I wrote for my self-help newsletter and I hope it will help you to be more focused on what is good in life...
Do you miss Mayberry? I do! For those who may not know, Mayberry was a fictional town where Andy Taylor, Opie and Aunt Bea lived in the Andy Griffith show. It debuted on television in 1960. It took us back to the way life used to be!
Lookie there, it's Sheriff Andy Taylor sitting on the front porch with Opie and Aunt Bea. He's playing his six-string guitar and singing old gospel songs. I do believe that's Deputy Barney Fife up there with them and it looks like he's making some home-made ice cream. Why, he's so skinny that I'm amazed that he can even turn that hand-crank on the ice cream bucket. Yes sir, those were the good ole' days, weren't they?
Well, guess what? These are the good ole' days, too! Sometimes, we get so caught up in remembering yesterday that we forget to enjoy today. Today! Right now! This moment! That is all you have available to you. You can remember yesterday, you can think about tomorrow, but RIGHT NOW is all there is available to you to use as you want.
I think back to the early 80s. My oldest daughter was a little girl and we lived in Cleburne, Texas. We lived in a house that had a large, L-shaped, screened-in front porch. My wife didn't get home from work until a little after 10:00 pm at night and I would sit out on that front porch and rock Jessica to sleep while we waited for mom. You know what? That was her Mayberry! That is what she remembers as the good ole' days.
The point I am trying to make is this...enjoy your days NOW! Make the most of today. Have fun. Laugh. Enjoy life. Sure, maybe things could be better in your life. But, then again, they could be worse. Sure, maybe you're a little short of money right now. But, then again, you could be flat broke. Sure, maybe things are looking pretty dark right now. But, you're still breathing, aren't you. As long as you are taking a breath, there is hope! As long as you reach out to someone else, there is love! As long as you believe, there is faith!
I want to give you five things that will help you move into Mayberry right now...
1. Look at the good things happening in your life! Don't focus on the bad stuff. Don't keep thinking negative thoughts. Start thinking positive thoughts. Write down positive affirmations. Put them in places you will see them each day. Read them out loud. Start believing them.
2. Never, and I mean NEVER, give up! Do you have a terminal illness? Do you know the definition of "terminal?" Let me tell you...Causing, ending in, or approaching death. Well guess what, we are all terminal! From the moment we are born, we are approaching death. But NOTHING is fatal until you take that last breath. You may have some disease. Things may be pretty bad right now. You may feel like just giving up. DON'T YOU EVER GIVE UP!!!
3. Learn to forgive others! Were you abused as a child? Were you abandoned? Have you gone through a bitter divorce? Did you lose someone through the fault of someone else? Forgive them! Wait a minute, Chris; you just don't know what you're asking! Forgive them! Do you have any idea how they ruined my life? Forgive them! My daughter was only 15 years old when she was killed! Forgive them! It's hard, believe me I know. I know! That unforgiving heart is beating in YOUR body. You're not having any effect on the one who wronged you. It is you who is suffering, not them. An unforgiving heart is a poison that is spreading through your body and it will destroy you unless you take the remedy. What is the remedy? Forgive them!
4. Learn to forgive yourself! We've all done things we regret! Some are worse than others but they all have one thing in common. They are all in the past! If there is nothing you can do about it now, let it go. Learn from your mistakes but let them go. Do you know what happens when you grab a live electrical wire? It sends shocks through your body and you can't let it go until the circuit is broken. If someone else touches you, they will be stuck on the wire with you. That's the way your past mistakes are when you don't forget them. You can't let go and the people around you are affected by them too! You both suffer until you are able to let go.
5. Do acts of kindness! Not random acts of kindness...do a kind act every chance you get! When you do something good, it not only makes other people feel good, it makes YOU feel good! Don't do good things and then go tell everyone about it. Do good things and keep it to yourself. If you have to tell everybody, you are not doing them for the right reason. Keep them to yourself. Cherish them. Think about them. You will be amazed at the change it brings about in yourself.
Can you smell the jasmine in the air? Listen to the soft creaking of the old rocking chair as you gently rock. The sun is slowly sinking into the horizon as another day comes slowly to an end. Here comes Andy, Opie, Aunt Bea and Barney up the drive to join you for some homemade ice cream. BUT, you know what? It's not 1960...it's 2008. The time is now. The moment is now. Welcome to Mayberry!I hope everyone has a fantastic 2009 and that you make the very most of it you can!
Take care and have a great whatever it is wherever you are!