A little rant about Outsourcing to Phillipines, India, Asia, etc, etc

by LMC
49 replies
I have been outsourcing for some time now...

I have a good amount of experience with it, and I would like to make a little rant, but not a rant pointed at the workers.

A rant pointed at you.

I see a lot of people talk about their workers in such an immoral way it extremely bothers me. Did you know that the average median income in the Philippines is around $370 per month. Yes, $370 per month. My rent alone in the NYC is worth 15 workers incomes, and that is the median.

These individuals work incredibly hard. Their respect to you as an employer is impeccable, and in my experience as long as you deliver clear and precise instructions they will provide amazing returns.

They work 8 hours per day, not 6 including 2 hours of playing on the Internet like I get with my in house employees.

I feel there needs to be more appreciation for what they do for our businesses. I just moved a lot of my business to the Philippines and I'm cutting about 6 figures of outsourcing cost (used to be US based only) because of it.

They are on time for their 9am meeting every single day, and report at 6pm every single day.

----------------------------------------------------

I think about all of this.... then I read posts on forums and WF that read things like:

My Phillipino

These are people... not objects...

and I think sometimes you forget about that.


But that is my rant, from my experience, respect to the workers and clear precise instructions will result in a streamline process and near perfect work.

Just remember they are people too, and give bonuses where you can.
#asia #india #outsourcing #phillipines #rant
  • Profile picture of the author bretski
    Luckily, not all people who outsource are ungrateful. I know of quite a few marketers that take a real person interest in the lives of folks that they work with or having working for them. They treat them so well that they often have outsourcers coming to them asking if they can find work for their friends etc.
    Signature
    ***Affordable Quality Content Written For You!***
    Experience Content Writer - PM Bretski!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4269464].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BenoitT
    They work hard but their are ready to be underpaid because of their economy. Sad for them.
    Signature

    Benoit Tremblay

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4269537].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bretski
      Originally Posted by BenoitT View Post

      They work hard but their are ready to be underpaid because of their economy. Sad for them.
      This a matter of perspective. I have friends who live in other countries where the economy isn't what it is in America who would be thrilled to death to be able to work from home and make a good living.
      Signature
      ***Affordable Quality Content Written For You!***
      Experience Content Writer - PM Bretski!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4269660].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dsouravs
    Hello LMC,
    Its so nice of you...
    I am myself an independent web designer and I have got some real good employers. They r like my friends and sometime I share childish jokes with them....lol
    Anyway TC
    Signature

    I can convert your Non-Responsive website to Responsive website ... How sweet is that? :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4269563].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seoguru1
    i have a couple of Phillipine providers who do excellent work... however I dont seem to get the same quality out of india
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4269570].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author christopher jon
    Did you know that the average median income in the Philippines is around $370 per month. Yes, $370 per month. My rent alone in the NYC is worth 15 workers incomes, and that is the median.
    Nobody is forcing them to work for peanuts and the cost of living in the Philippines is much less than it is in western countries.

    Here, see the difference for yourself.

    Your outsourced labor isn't hurting at $370 a month any more than the typical American is at $2,725.33 a month.

    I feel there needs to be more appreciation for what they do for our businesses.
    Why? It's a job they are paid to do. Some do it well, some not.

    I just moved a lot of my business to the Philippines and I'm cutting about 6 figures of outsourcing cost (used to be US based only) because of it.
    So what's your point? You want to save more money and your helping the American economy go down the toilet even faster by hiring cheap offshore labor. You win a gold star!

    Yeah, I'm mean. So what. I'm also honest.
    Signature
    It buys my product or it gets the hose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4269700].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
      Banned
      Originally Posted by christopher jon View Post

      Nobody is forcing them to work for peanuts and the cost of living in the Philippines is much less than it is in western countries.

      Here, see the difference for yourself.

      Your outsourced labor isn't hurting at $370 a month any more than the typical American is at $2,725.33 a month.


      Why? It's a job they are paid to do. Some do it well, some not.


      So what's your point? You want to save more money and your helping the American economy go down the toilet even faster by hiring cheap offshore labor. You win a gold star!

      Yeah, I'm mean. So what. I'm also honest.
      This was a little on the mean side, but also entirely true. Just because $370 is peanuts here in the states doesn't mean that the same is true for the Phillipenes. People seem to forget that a lot and base their assumptions only on how things are in their own neck of the woods.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4269774].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LMC
    The point was about respect for workers and creating a good work environment not economics, but thanks for the information.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4269737].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Black Hat Cat
      Banned
      Originally Posted by LMC View Post

      The point was about respect for workers and creating a good work environment not economics, but thanks for the information.
      Yeah, we must respect the Filipino workers, but disrespectfully slamming American workers by proxy via your in-house staff is ok, lol.

      I think about all of this.... then I read posts on forums and WF that read things like:

      My Phillipino

      These are people... not objects...

      and I think sometimes you forget about that.
      Maybe you're the one who forgets, and is projecting a bit in this thread. I mean, when someone says "my Filipino", what do you think they're talking about if not a person....a table, or maybe a lawn mower?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4483105].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myeanne


    The Philippines is one of the world's most popular outsourcing destinations with some distinct advantages over other asian countries. We are glad and proud to say that most of our clients are satisfied with our staff performance and working attitude. Filipinos are known to be hardworking, and reliable workers.
    Signature
    Staff Leasing
    We Lease Offshore Employees

    Hire inexpensive labor from the Philippines!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4269964].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
      Banned
      Originally Posted by myeanne View Post


      The Philippines is one of the world's most popular outsourcing destinations with some distinct advantages over other asian countries. We are glad and proud to say that most of our clients are satisfied with our staff performance and working attitude. Filipinos are known to be hardworking, and reliable workers.
      Good to hear it right from the horses mouth. Now, how do you feel about the wages that you are paid? Are they fair in your opinion? Do they allow you to live comfortably? Are outsource workers doing this as a main source of income or just as a side job?

      Your answers will really help out this discussion.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4269984].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
        Originally Posted by Joe128139 View Post

        Good to hear it right from the horses mouth. Now, how do you feel about the wages that you are paid? Are they fair in your opinion? Do they allow you to live comfortably? Are outsource workers doing this as a main source of income or just as a side job?

        Your answers will really help out this discussion.
        May I answer your questions?

        I am paid above the normal Philippine rate by my employer and friend who happens to be a warrior as well. I am so grateful for that.

        Yeah, that salary allows me to live comfortably. Hands down!

        I am not sure with the others but for me, this is my main source of income.

        If you have additional questions, I am more than happy to answer them.

        Cheers,
        Louie Tugas
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048149].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaverickUK
    If you respect them so much, why don't you re-invest some of the 6 figures your saving in to their wages? Seems like something I would do of I was in your position.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4270027].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LMC
      Originally Posted by MaverickUK View Post

      If you respect them so much, why don't you re-invest some of the 6 figures your saving in to their wages? Seems like something I would do of I was in your position.
      read the post where i say give bonuses...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4270604].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MaverickUK
        Originally Posted by LMC View Post

        read the post where i say give bonuses...
        Sorry buddy seems I missed that. Good man.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4270874].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author QuickSurf
        Funny I just came upon this thread, looking for a VA or someone in the Phillipines to do some calling for me. Having checked out other countries, problem is their heavy accents will do more harm than good. Everyone I've talked to with experience in calling has said the Phillipines area is generally best b/c of how many can speak fairly clear english (which I hate to say it, but accents are a turned down for sales over the phone in the U.S.). Only problem is the people I know are using call centers for huge campaigns and won't deal with something small like mine (I only need 1 person to start). It's for a service I came up with that's a fairly easy sale for certain businesses, I've tried U.S. telemarketers and ends up either being a waste of $ or pain in the ass lol. I'm too busy right now with various things to train and monitor an office of tm's, and the people I know that went to the Phils for call centers say it was the best move they ever did (not only saving money in wages, but they work harder and rarely have any bs to deal with). Hence why I'm trying to find someone there to do this for me, that way I can follow up and work on the services at night time and build up from there.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4270927].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OzDesign
    I've used services by outsourcing corps and they seem to be better quality because they're required to be in an office environment where there's mamangers, supervisors etc.

    My other VAs are now mostly from onlinejobs.ph where they work from home.

    Using outsource corps cost more as you're also paying for the office etc but they'll be more disciplined.(By no means they'll definitely perform to your expectations)

    Hiring staff directly costs less as they are home based but you'll need some time to see if they truly perform.

    In my experience, I have had both good and bad experiences whether i use outsource corps or hire them directly so it really depends on what your requirements are. One way to start maybe to have a look at Odesk and only select candidates with good feedback scores.

    Hope that helps, Kimi


    Originally Posted by alyonafrendo View Post

    @LMC - very well said, thanks for pointing that out. I have been considering to outsource some of my real life business (mainly in publicity, web and print design etc) to some asian country, but don't know where to start. Can you suggest a good starting point? also... what's your business? (just curious)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4270512].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author christopher jon
    Their money is stressed much more than ours is, if we are to believe the data you provided. Hence, the reason why they are considered a "developing nation."
    Well touche' to you.

    However, they have advantages that I don't.

    If a marketer in the Philippines and I both release a product for the same price and we both sell the same number of copies, the Filipino marketer come out far ahead of me due to his/her low cost of living.

    I would need to sell 270 copies of a $10 product to meet the average American monthly wage where the Filipino marketer would only need to sell 37 to reach his/her average monthly wage.

    So, the unfairness goes both ways. I have advantages and so do they.

    Nothing is stopping virtual assistants from breaking free of their virtual sweat shops. If they have an internet connection and have learned anything from the work they have done the only thing holding them back is themselves.

    I really wish they would charge more for their services but if they are happy working for nickels and dimes theirs not much I can do about it. Most of you guys love it.

    Oh yeah, be nice to your virtual assistants. They are people to.
    Signature
    It buys my product or it gets the hose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4270529].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mrdanilodiaz
      Originally Posted by christopher jon View Post

      However, they have advantages that I don't.

      If a marketer in the Philippines and I both release a product for the same price and we both sell the same number of copies, the Filipino marketer come out far ahead of me due to his/her low cost of living.

      I would need to sell 270 copies of a $10 product to meet the average American monthly wage where the Filipino marketer would only need to sell 37 to reach his/her average monthly wage.

      So, the unfairness goes both ways. I have advantages and so do they.
      Being a Filipino is not as easy as you think. Considering the online cost of creating products, we can't afford that much.

      Online cost is much more different.
      In our place, I can already comfortably live for just $5 a day, but in online it is just a price of a single article service.

      Also, price is our only advantage over the competition.
      If a guy from United States and Philippines is offering the same product and the same price, I think you will more likely to buy someone from United States.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4476996].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fazal Mayar
    You are right, its all about being nice to them but ive had a bad experience with one of them anyway. They work very hard and its not easy at all.
    Signature

    Blogger at RicherOrNot.com (Make Money online blog but also promoting ethical internet marketing)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4270864].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author max5ty
    I don't want to get political about the billions our country sends yearly to other countries, but I feel we've got some great talent here in the U.S. that I prefer to reward with work.

    Guess it also depends on where most of your business is coming from.

    Hopefully, when you say outsourcing, you're not referring to your customer service.

    There's nothing more frustrating than trying to get support from someone who barely understands the language.

    I had a frustrating experience recently, and ended up politely thanking the person and hanging up determined to take my business elsewhere - somewhere that I could be understood.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4270907].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TracyZ
      Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

      I don't want to get political about the billions our country sends yearly to other countries, but I feel we've got some great talent here in the U.S. that I prefer to reward with work.

      Guess it also depends on where most of your business is coming from.
      I'm in the US too and will agree. I use odesk and fiverr and have started targeting US based workers lately. I'll outsource overseas if I can't find similar quality and cost. Sometimes the quality and ease of conversing in the same language/time zone makes up for additional cost (within reason).

      But the original post still holds true whether workers are local or overseas... treat them with respect and reward hard work.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4271006].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author packerfan
        I've given up on trying to find anything other than native english speaking writers. I've gone through a minimum of 75 writers (probably 1/2 of those are from the US), and I've probably found a total of 10 that are worth a darn.

        I do have a VA from India right now, and in all honesty he's a pleasure to work with. I treat him with respect, no different than any of my employees.

        I have never and will never refer to him as my "Indian" though. Just like I'd never refer to an American employee as my "American"
        Signature

        Nothing to see here

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4271210].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bloomingrose
      Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

      I don't want to get political about the billions our country sends yearly to other countries, but I feel we've got some great talent here in the U.S. that I prefer to reward with work.

      Guess it also depends on where most of your business is coming from.

      Hopefully, when you say outsourcing, you're not referring to your customer service.

      There's nothing more frustrating than trying to get support from someone who barely understands the language.

      I had a frustrating experience recently, and ended up politely thanking the person and hanging up determined to take my business elsewhere - somewhere that I could be understood.
      Amen brother - and I will hire as many
      Americans as I can. It seems like for what you can get at Fiverr there is not really such a difference.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4484099].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Zane236
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048066].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author azmanar
          Hi,

          As outsourcing goes, it is not only about VAs or article writings.

          There are other jobs such as graphic designs, video production, animation, music production, format conversions, software development, programming, coding, statistical evaluations and etc.

          These jobs don't need direct communications to our clients.

          What really count are the QUALITY and ABILITY TO DELIVER ON TIME. Cost-wise depends on the product market placement.

          Not where the outsourced person is located at.

          To find the right candidate is to go where they gather - ODESK, ELANCE, FREELANCE.com, FIVERR and many other networks. Lots of choices at fair prices.

          It is not wise to be bias. Decision-making based on sentiments may back-fire, sooner or later.
          Signature
          === >>> Tomorrow Should Be Better Than Today

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048348].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by LMC View Post

    They work 8 hours per day, not 6 including 2 hours of playing on the Internet like I get with my in house employees.


    If the out source is so good why do you have in house employees?

    Sounds like you need to better manage the in house staff, instead of trying to cut corners on pay (training/communication)?

    If you have in house employees, maybe they goof off because their boss is trying to out source their jobs? Plus the fact that you call them out in a public forum?
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4270930].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author karakoram
    LMC,

    I couldn't agree more. I hired a Phillipine worker a while back. I had something like 40 applicants to my job posting. I contacted all of them, asking them to contact me back via the msg system of the board I was on, and about 1/2 replied.

    I then took those and asked them to contact me via skype. About 6 or 8 of them did. Out of those, I narrowed it down to one person who had excellend english. She had lived in the states for a few years, which is why her english was flawless.

    Her work ethic was extremly good (better than mine, I dare say), because she stuck to the repititous, boring tasks I gave her. I told her ahead of time they would be like this.

    I paid her about 50% more than she was asking, but honestly, she was worth way more than that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4475821].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BlairBarnes
    I agree with you. Just because somebody lives in another country does not make them any less human or smart than anybody else. I have had great experiences with all of my outsourcers, I totally agree about giving bonuses. A couple extra bucks for you is a lot to your outsourcer. I have been using an engineer in Serbia to design a physical product I am having made in China. He is AMAZING and fast and dependable. If anybody needs a 3d CAD designer PM and I will put you in contact with the best! It would have cost me a fortune to have the same designs done in the states.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4476475].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jcruz
    I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with outsourcing to the phillipines, or any other country. It's just basic supply and demand, we need someone to help us with our online business, and they need a job. I'm pretty sure there not complaining that there getting work.

    Yeah we would all love to hold hands and have world peace, and everyone be equal income and oppurtunity. But reality that's a fantasy. Big companies do it all the time and will continue to do it. If you can pay someone 300 a month to do something that someone would charge you 3,000, its not about right or wrong its just good business. We get cheaper labor, they get to feed their families.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4476560].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrdanilodiaz
    I'm from Philippines and I don't consider $370 as peanuts.
    Of course we will appreciate to be paid more than that.

    Unfortunately, it became the market standard to be paid this amount to someone living in the Philippines.

    Let's say there are two candidates, one from United States and the other one from the Philippines. Both of them charge the same price and have the same quality of work.

    The question is: Who will you hire?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4476611].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seo1990
    Great outsourcing in low price and quality wise India is great for outsourcing market...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4476618].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sweely99
    I couldn't agree with you more, buddy.

    I think of the people I outsource stuff to as my co-workers. Period.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4477031].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wickedinnovation
    Most of you are underestimating Filipinos. You don't even know how the life of Filipino goes. Don't dare to try because I'm pretty sure you can't. "I'm a Filipino".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4482661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author handy
    I too believe in treating your workers with respect, but honestly I do have some problems with the quality of work that some of these outsourced workers do. What sort of systems are you putting in place to help ensure the quality of work?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4483152].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Targeted Traffic
    Main point...respect and pride for outsourced workers...that's just about it and I highly commend you LMC for this post.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4483812].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SUPER Louie
    $370 is big money here in the Philippines, you can make a living from that amount every month because we have a lower cost of living. Our food, compared to the US, is only around $1-2 for one big meal already. Our transportation is only around $3. Lastly, the rent is only around $100. But the middle class earn around $500 per month.

    The cost of living is really lower compared to first world countries.
    Signature
    A superhero is someone who knows how to be quiet, shed a tear for a moment, then pick up his sword, and fight again!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4483891].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sdbagley
    Running an outsourcing company, I hire from all over the world. I do not base it on where a person is from, but what kind of service they can provide. I enjoy working with all of them and am glad to be able to give them work regardless of the country they are from.
    As for my 2 cents on $370.0 per month, this is not peanuts to everyone in the USA.
    To someone who is disabled and/or unable to work outside their home, that $370.0 a month would be a lot of money. Or maybe a high school kid, or a housewife who wants to help support her family and help her husband out, $370.0 a month would be wonderful.
    I personally feel like work is work, and any work that pays is good work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4484076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kierkegaard
    I don't want to offend anyone from the Philippines but there's a reason why $350 a month is good money over there. The cost of living is low because people are poor. Most Philippino's don't have the same living standards as someone in the US who is poor. For electrical goods the Philippino on $350 will have to pay as much, or slightly more, than the American on $1500 a month. That goes for cars too.

    Food is cheaper but you're buying the raw ingredients taking them home and making meals. Higher quality products are available but obviously cost more.

    There is crushing poverty and massive over-crowding, and all the problems that go with that, including sanitation issues, corruption and crime. Unemployment is high which obviously drives down wages and limits life-choices.

    Out in the countryside you can live on $350 but in Manila, you'd need more like $700 to live comfortably.

    The fact of the matter is that you can outsource work to the Phillipines because the people are a bad situation, have no bargaining power and are desperate for work and the income that goes with it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4484079].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
      Originally Posted by Kierkegaard View Post

      I don't want to offend anyone from the Philippines but there's a reason why $350 a month is good money over there. The cost of living is low because people are poor. Most Philippino's don't have the same living standards as someone in the US who is poor. For electrical goods the Philippino on $350 will have to pay as much, or slightly more, than the American on $1500 a month. That goes for cars too.

      Food is cheaper but you're buying the raw ingredients taking them home and making meals. Higher quality products are available but obviously cost more.

      There is crushing poverty and massive over-crowding, and all the problems that go with that, including sanitation issues, corruption and crime. Unemployment is high which obviously drives down wages and limits life-choices.

      Out in the countryside you can live on $350 but in Manila, you'd need more like $700 to live comfortably.

      The fact of the matter is that you can outsource work to the Phillipines because the people are a bad situation, have no bargaining power and are desperate for work and the income that goes with it.
      First of all, it's not Philippino but Filipino.

      It appears to me that you are a conclusive type.

      Have you lived here in the Philippines? If so, for how many years? Where in the Philippines?

      Let's say you are right but I think you have missed something, you can outsource in the Philippines because we love to work and want to keep abreast with the fast changing technology too.

      It's so sad to know that you think the main reasons are just because we are in a bad situation, have no bargaining power and are desperate for work and the income that goes with it.

      Well, anyway everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048194].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JCorp
      Great insight about respect and gratitude for people willing to do the work that we're not willing to do or just don't have time for. That goes to say for all workers, not just overseas, your garbage man, your mailman, your janitors, etc.

      As a Filipino myself (though born and raised in the US) and having lived in the Philippines, I know for a fact that $370/month is reasonable income, so don't feel too "sorry" for them. It's especially sufficient if you're a single person without a family to support and children to send to school, as school supplies, uniforms, and tuition can get pretty costly and can easily consume such income.

      Originally Posted by Kierkegaard View Post

      I don't want to offend anyone from the Philippines but there's a reason why $350 a month is good money over there. The cost of living is low because people are poor.

      The fact of the matter is that you can outsource work to the Phillipines because the people are a bad situation, have no bargaining power and are desperate for work and the income that goes with it.
      As per the above post, I do agree with you that the cost of living is much lower in the Philippines, but not solely due to poverty, take consideration the high population growth, majority of workers are rural workers and farmers, and out of the 7000 islands of the Philippines only about 4000 is inhabited in which many ethnic and indigenous groups still exist. More likely they are not included in the GDP/GNP/NNI per capita of the nation.

      I disagree in regards to the fact that the nation is in a bad situation, lack bargaining power and is desperate. Many major companies like Intel, TI, Toshiba have set up shop in the Philippines because of it's steadily growing industrialized economy. And the fact that they're willing to do the same amount of work cheaper than other countries gives them A LOT of bargaining power and making them more competitive and appealing to outside consumers, and not too mention more work.

      There's as much desperation in the US as in the Philippines when it comes to finances and economy. You hear about people killing themselves and their families due to unemployment, marriages ending in divorce because of finances, and a growing trend in people leaving America to pursue better opportunities in other nations, one of which being the Philippines as a high statistics of expats from all over the world would show.

      Filipinos are resourceful, and work with what they've got, even if they don't have much in comparison. Their need for materialist things isn't like that of the driving consumerism of the US. Many are content and satisfied living a simple life. But you will definitely see signs of western influences penetrating the culture, with powerhouses like McDonald and Apple it's inevitable...

      When it comes to business, outsourcing is by far one of the most cost efficient services available that allows small and big businesses to grow even more. It's unfortunate for those who have been negatively affected (my fahter-in-law for one who has been out of work for a year as a computer analyst since IBM has outsourced his job to Kuala Lumpar), but it's part of growth. I use them, and I highly recommend them to anyone else who is thinking of using outsourcing companies...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5049045].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicheblogger75
    I'm now getting to the point where I need to start outsourcing, an I've heard nothing but great things about people from the Philippines. That's where I would go to outsource.

    And, I would never pay peanuts just because I could get get away with it, so to speak. At this point, I'd almost be willing to pay what I would pay someone in the US to work for me.

    I love this country and even risked my life for it on a few occasions, but the fact is that the American work ethic is not what it used to be. That's why you see a lot of businesses picking up shop and relocating overseas and a lot of outsourcing going to other countries. And if the folks who live in those countries are willing to work hard and appreciate their jobs, then it's only right in my book.

    Well, that's my little rant as well.

    Now, can anyone steer me in the right direction as it pertains to outsourcing in the Philippines, and what the procedures are?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048200].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
      Originally Posted by nicheblogger75 View Post

      I'm now getting to the point where I need to start outsourcing, an I've heard nothing but great things about people from the Philippines. That's where I would go to outsource.

      And, I would never pay peanuts just because I could get get away with it, so to speak. At this point, I'd almost be willing to pay what I would pay someone in the US to work for me.

      I love this country and even risked my life for it on a few occasions, but the fact is that the American work ethic is not what it used to be. That's why you see a lot of businesses picking up shop and relocating overseas and a lot of outsourcing going to other countries. And if the folks who live in those countries are willing to work hard and appreciate their jobs, then it's only right in my book.

      Well, that's my little rant as well.

      Now, can anyone steer me in the right direction as it pertains to outsourcing in the Philippines, and what the procedures are?
      Hello nicheblogger75, you may want to check this site, How to Outsource to the Philippines - John Jonas Replace Myself in case you haven't seen this before.

      More power to you, mate!

      Cheers,
      Louie Tugas
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048260].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nicheblogger75
        Originally Posted by magiclouie View Post

        Hello nicheblogger75, you may want to check this site, How to Outsource to the Philippines - John Jonas Replace Myself in case you haven't seen this before.

        More power to you, mate!

        Cheers,
        Louie Tugas
        Louie, thanks so much for the info. I'm thinking that it could be as easy as creating a few PDFs or videos detailing what I would like done on a daily basis, and then finding a VA who could handle those tasks and would be willing to work 2-3 hours per day. I would be willing to pay much more than $2.50 per hour for that.

        It's most important to find a reliable person. After all, you are entrusting them with a portion of your business. And, having some experience manging several employees in the past, I know that a properly paid employee is much more apt to do a great job! Thanks again.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048620].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
          Originally Posted by nicheblogger75 View Post

          Louie, thanks so much for the info. I'm thinking that it could be as easy as creating a few PDFs or videos detailing what I would like done on a daily basis, and then finding a VA who could handle those tasks and would be willing to work 2-3 hours per day. I would be willing to pay much more than $2.50 per hour for that.

          It's most important to find a reliable person. After all, you are entrusting them with a portion of your business. And, having some experience manging several employees in the past, I know that a properly paid employee is much more apt to do a great job! Thanks again.
          You are more than welcome my friend.

          It appears to me that you are offering a part-time job.

          Please send me a PM if you want me to find someone who would want to work for you.

          Thanks,
          Louie Tugas
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5049135].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cardine
    Originally Posted by LMC View Post

    My Phillipino

    These are people... not objects...
    I'm not sure how this is insulting. Do you think people saying My friend, or My employee are treating people like objects?

    I'm all for treating people equally, but you seem to be mad at a very specific example that doesn't deserve you getting mad about.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5048217].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adie
    I'm Filipino, have 6 full time writers, and more than 20 part time writers. I pay my full time writers from $500 to $700 a month. If you are leaving outside the Philippines and having a higher value of money ($), then there is no reason you can't pay higher than $350. As an employee myself several years ago, money is the best motivation. Take care of your VA's and they'll care care of your business....
    Signature



    Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

    Signature edited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5141569].message }}

Trending Topics