Getting the most out of social bookmarking is fairly simple and you do not need to be a brain surgeon to understand it.
Register At Popular Social Bookmarking Sites
The very first thing to do when you want to start your social bookmarking traffic campaign is to sign up at the popular sites. Sign up at the ones that you know are legit and will not waste your time. Two of my favorites are Digg.com and Delicious.com - Both have proven to me that they are great uses of my time.
Once you have found a few social bookmarking sites that get lots of traffic such as the ones I just mentioned - start looking around those sites to get yourself familiarized with how they function.
- See what bookmarks are performing well.
- Check out the profiles of people that have high traffic bookmarks.
Before even submitting a site to a social bookmarking site make sure to update your profile. In your profile you are going to want describe yourself (ie. interests, expertise, or what kind of business you are in). This is important because:
- Users will see your profile.
- Users may contact you for advice or tips about your expertise or interests.
- When users feel comfortable with you then they will start to become regular visitors to your website.
This was the sole reason why you started social bookmarking anyway right? It is common sense to bookmark your own website. Upon bookmarking, you will be asked to tag your bookmark with keywords. Make sure to do this properly. Tagging formats differ from social bookmark to social bookmark.
If you are getting a tough time getting people to dig (or whatever social bookmark you decide to use) your pages ask your friends. More then likely you have a Twitter, Facebook or MySpace account with some friends. Ask them for help, in exchange for your help.
For The Traffic
Alright I know this is what you all have been waiting for... The way to get traffic from social bookmarking sites is to:
- Add friends
- Comment and vote on other peoples submissions
- Join the forums and discussions on the bookmarking sites.
- Once you have your site bookmarked, bookmark other peoples sites too. This will get you noticed within the community. People love givers, and it will definitely impact your credibility.