LOL! I signed on to draw the new Justin Bieber comic book

32 replies
I was reluctant at first, but when the corporation's director told me about the sales figures, I couldn't turn the opportunity down.

The corporate director is a professional marketer and agent. I told him about IM and what I've been studying and have been working in IM as a writer and illustrator for ebooks and content for clients' sites.

We discussed the power of IM and social networking. Came to some brilliant strategies too. This is what I was looking for, combining the tried and true IM strategies to comics, animation, and film development.

Will see how it all pans out.
#bieber #book #comic #draw #justin #lol #signed
  • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
    Not sure whether to wish you good luck or feel pity for you.

    You realize that if you make Justin Bieber look bad, legions of teenage girls will be on the rampage against you?

    Congrats, though. If you live through it...
    Signature

    Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

    Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4294281].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
      Originally Posted by Dan C. Rinnert View Post

      Not sure whether to wish you good luck or feel pity for you.

      You realize that if you make Justin Bieber look bad, legions of teenage girls will be on the rampage against you?

      Congrats, though. If you live through it...
      Oh I kick butt as an illustrator. Got the job without having to submit samples, interviews.

      The corporation producing the books has a monster size reach into social networking. Plus a massive growth of celebrities signing on to have comics made of them. It's due to the web that is making these books popular and we're beating sales of the super hero comic companies hands down.

      That Facebook/Twitter base of fans for the celebrities we do comics for is SICK! Look at it this way, a celeb like Bieber might have 100,000 FB fans with 5,000 friends each.

      See the picture?

      So to turn this traffic into lists and other opt-in power is potential income like insane.
      Signature
      Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4294469].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author christopher jon
    If it's The Savage Sword Of Justin Bieber, sign me up for a copy.

    Signature
    It buys my product or it gets the hose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4294328].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
    Ha! I remember the first "Savage Sword" books. Barry Windsor Smith, John Buscema. Met them all before I got into the business.
    Signature
    Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4294439].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
    Cool. Pencils, ink, straight digital, or all of the above?

    Funny how this business can take you into alleys you never thought to look for.


    Paul
    Signature
    .
    Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4294514].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
      Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

      Cool. Pencils, ink, straight digital, or all of the above?

      Funny how this business can take you into alleys you never thought to look for.


      Paul
      Paul, I'll be doing the pencils. I might do inks as well to keep the colorist in check. I'm a first class portrait artist and I want to do the best job possible.

      Yes, finding ways to add IM to any market is a plus. I could sure hope to run into a big time IMer to take me under their wing. Right now have to make own products and go auto pilot. The ebook advantage is astounding here.
      Signature
      Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4294609].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Cee
        Originally Posted by EvolBaby View Post

        I'm a first class portrait artist and I want to do the best job possible.
        And that is the perfect success attitude that separates the wheat from the chaff. Congrats. It sounds pretty exiting to me since I haven't spent much time chilling with the superstars.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4294748].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
          Originally Posted by Cee View Post

          And that is the perfect success attitude that separates the wheat from the chaff. Congrats. It sounds pretty exiting to me since I haven't spent much time chilling with the superstars.
          Thanks Cee!

          I'll be working on the book for the rest of the Summer but I won't drop my IM gigs. Sifting through copywriting gigs now to get the easiest but highest paying ones while I'm working on this book. Because it's a Bieber book the pre-sales are awesome. I have to do a super top job. Ironically, one of my students who I taught how to write and produce his own comic books just told me he was in one of Bieber's videos. Just saw it! Amazing!

          So for right now, although the Bieber gig looks fun and good, I won't be shirking my IM goals.
          Signature
          Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4294812].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
            Originally Posted by christopher jon View Post

            If it's The Savage Sword Of Justin Bieber, sign me up for a copy.

            ****. Yes. I have all the Dark Horse volumes published so far.

            Conan owns Bieber. That is all. For the OP, sounds like a great gig. The problem is that you won't own your work, and you're working to an audience that won't value you as a creator. So yeah, def. don't shirk your IM goals.
            Signature

            Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
            Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4294910].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
              Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

              ****. Yes. I have all the Dark Horse volumes published so far.

              Conan owns Bieber. That is all. For the OP, sounds like a great gig. The problem is that you won't own your work, and you're working to an audience that won't value you as a creator. So yeah, def. don't shirk your IM goals.
              Oh I don't think so regarding the audience not valuing me. The market prelims have me at 100% approval.

              We're not talking the traditional comics audience now. There's print, Kindle, and the rest. The company has brought in a massive amount of new readers to comics. Mind you, the comic series is on gillions of blogs and sites and that attention is money in the bank.

              As for Conan, One of the best illustrated stories was "Red Nails" by Barry Windsor-Smith. Get the black and white version. It's awesome!
              Signature
              Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4295019].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
                Cool. I love the Batman cover, by the way.

                Worked for Defiant, eh? One of my favorite collectibles is a Plasm card autographed by Jim Shooter. Not because I particularly liked Plasm, but because Shooter was such a resilient entrepreneur. Marvel, then Valiant, then Defiant. And always pushing the standards for artwork and storytelling.

                When I met him, I got the impression of a very active intelligence. Nice guy, at least for as long as we spoke.


                Paul
                Signature
                .
                Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4295099].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
    Yes Paul, I worked for Shooter at Defiant. Worked on his book "The Good Guys". Even stayed at his apartment while drawing issue #4. Went with him to Pittsburgh and other conventions to sign autographs etc.. Lots of fun times.

    You'll be surprised that many of my Defiant pals went on to win a bunch of Emmy Awards.
    Signature
    Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4295116].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Went with him to Pittsburgh and other conventions to sign autographs etc..
      That's where I got his autograph, actually. He commented on my Shadowman t-shirt. I went with a friend who was an exhibitor at that one, to help him handle his stock. Spent some time hanging out with Al Simmons, which was ... an education.


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4295231].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
        Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

        That's where I got his autograph, actually. He commented on my Shadowman t-shirt. I went with a friend who was an exhibitor at that one, to help him handle his stock. Spent some time hanging out with Al Simmons, which was ... an education.


        Paul
        Paul, I wrote an intro to a Shadowman issue. Also wrote and illustrated two Bloodshot issues and illustrated a Timewalker.

        Shooter is writing a column nowadays amongst other things. I was in Pittsburgh signing autographs with Franco Harris who is a pal of Shooter's. This was back in '94.
        Signature
        Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4296155].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jesus Perez
    As an artist that grew up drawing and airbrushing Spiderman, Wolverine, Night Crawler and Batman during every waking high-school moment....I salute you. The feeling must be incredible and I applaud you for your amazing talent!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4295278].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
      Originally Posted by EvolBaby View Post

      Oh I don't think so regarding the audience not valuing me. The market prelims have me at 100% approval.

      We're not talking the traditional comics audience now. There's print, Kindle, and the rest. The company has brought in a massive amount of new readers to comics. Mind you, the comic series is on gillions of blogs and sites and that attention is money in the bank.

      As for Conan, One of the best illustrated stories was "Red Nails" by Barry Windsor-Smith. Get the black and white version. It's awesome!
      Yeah, I didn't express myself clearly I guess. They may love the art. What I mean is that the audience for a Justin Bieber comic is not going to become a fan of YOU and your work BY NAME - not the way they might if you drew a comic that was more for comic fans. That's what I meant. They will value the content, but not you or the fact that it's your work.

      The way you can name drop BWS as the artist of that Conan story, no one in the Bieber market will name drop you. That's the point I was trying to make. So it's good work and good money, but doesn't build your legend in the eyes of fans.

      So alls I was saying is stick with the IM stuff too. Because this assignment is basically short term for you. You have a brand to build.

      Edit to add: I have the BWS "Red Nails" in one of those Dark Horse collections I mentioned above in black and white, as well as a reprint edition that's in color. I like the B&W better, too. My favorite panel:

      "Shut up and eat your cactus!"
      Signature

      Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
      Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4295710].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
      Originally Posted by Jesus Perez View Post

      As an artist that grew up drawing and airbrushing Spiderman, Wolverine, Night Crawler and Batman during every waking high-school moment....I salute you. The feeling must be incredible and I applaud you for your amazing talent!
      Thanks Jesus! Didn't know you were an artist too! Glad to have a bro' around!
      Signature
      Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4297425].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
    Leave it to Colin to come in here bursting bubbles with all that truthy jargon. Update you picture. You're not 14 anymore.
    Signature

    Founder of JVZoo. All around good guy :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4295740].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
      Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

      Leave it to Colin to come in here bursting bubbles with all that truthy jargon. Update you picture. You're not 14 anymore.
      On the contrary, he didn't burst any bubbles on this block.
      Signature
      Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4315753].message }}
  • Haha, the title of this made me laugh. Have fun doing it either way!


    Mannequin
    Signature
    50% converting squeeze pages, 12% converting WSO's, and more...
    BenPalmerWilson Copywriting
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4296227].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    be careful if your doing anything for a big branded corporation they are monitoring everything you do online, so just be careful what you say or do online in reference to the project.

    I have done some projects for some huge companies and they like lips sealed and knowing your every move.

    but congrats. one thing i learned working with large corporations is to keep you mouth shut your eyes open and hire your own legal team.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4297926].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
      Originally Posted by nicholasb View Post

      be careful if your doing anything for a big branded corporation they are monitoring everything you do online, so just be careful what you say or do online in reference to the project.

      I have done some projects for some huge companies and they like lips sealed and knowing your every move.

      but congrats. one thing i learned working with large corporations is to keep you mouth shut your eyes open and hire your own legal team.
      Well I'll say I've worked for a dozen or so of the biggest corporations on Earth and have never had that problem.
      Signature
      Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4298170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author simplewealthmaker
    I looked at your site and you are a GREAT artist. So congratulations and good luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4298226].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
      Originally Posted by simplewealthmaker View Post

      I looked at your site and you are a GREAT artist. So congratulations and good luck

      Big thanks! I also went to your website. Can't wait for the new program!


      In addition I was stunned to have made another deal today combining IM with major media and comics. It just took 12 hours and 2 emails! Hooking people together who are in need of each other who are both power players but didn't realize the potential of IM is what happened today.

      I've been in a rush the past week because so many clients didn't have their administrative discipline in. I end up having to work overtime and it was taking its toll. I had worked on auto pilot for so many years and had to restructure about a year ago. Got some WSOs, met some Warriors and have been busting my butt for a year now.

      So as the new projects are being worked on, I'm keeping my IM duties. Lots of copywriting to do and some WSOs to buy. Hopefully I can get paid more for writing and get those smoother jobs leaving me more time to create new products.

      The traffic power I've put together today will help my clients and friends big time as we're talking millions of hits a day on their various network of sites and blogs and fansites. Been working on this for years and it all came down to a couple of messages via Facebook, and a couple of emails. Now to see how it all pans out.
      Signature
      Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4298472].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Goldenboy
    Congratulations on that evolbaby,
    And I would have to say the same as Dan, you have to make sure that you will make Justin Bieber look cool in your drawing or else, face the legions of his fans at your doorsteps. Or might use the term, the angry mobs that will tear you to pieces in case these people will not like what they will see with their idol in drawings, lol. Kidding aside, good luck on your job and always keep a positive outlook in life.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4298489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
    Originally Posted by mmjalliance View Post

    Goodluck! I would like to know how it turns out.
    Thanks! The book is already a shoe in for big sales and now it's a matter of layouts and finishing the primary art and the follow up art crew and technicians.

    I'm still blown away that I did some IM strategy the second the opportunity arose. Put two powerhouses together last night. This should get me the opportunity for massive links on monster traffic mainstream sites forever. Now I have to figure out what to sell and when I'll have enough of my own products to promote.
    Signature
    Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4303213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Victoria Gates
    Cant deny the kid has money and hes a cute kid.. but I still think hes a little creepy..
    Signature
    Victoria Gates - Digital Marketing Specialist

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4303289].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
    This time of year we have the huge San Diego Comic Con. The biggest comic book convention of the year. I remember when these conventions were held in church basements with dusty old boxes full of comic books. Now they're populated with tens of thousands of people and major media shows up, Hollywood's top producers, movie stars, sports stars fight to get in.

    I've made a good splash this year and didn't even have to go. A deal I just cut, just thinking on my toes is going to generate crazy money for my clients and me and I'm just getting started.

    Gotta get me some of those E. Brian Rose courses though! I'm not about to miss out on IM.
    Signature
    Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4315744].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Onora Oz
    Hey Greg,
    You have great talent and a great background, so I'm sure everything will be and get better and better for you.

    There are lots of opportunities in celeb and teen markets, which can easily provide you with the money and connections you need for your other adventures. I know, because my offline works in these two markets helped me create my business.

    Sooo, I wish you the best of luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4315885].message }}
  • No matter what the subject matter, that thing's going to have some major reach and provide major exposure.

    Don't listen to the naysayers - this thing will help propel your already awesome career into even more awesome projects so my hat's off to you.

    I always admire people that "make it" by doing what they love.

    And looking through your site just made me have some real nostalgia for when I was a kid. I haven't picked up a comic since Issue #10 of "Spiderman" (the Todd Mcfarlane one, of course).
    Signature
    DareDevil Marketing
    Fearless Marketing Strategies
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4315919].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author EvolBaby
      Originally Posted by Daredevil Marketing View Post

      No matter what the subject matter, that thing's going to have some major reach and provide major exposure.

      Don't listen to the naysayers - this thing will help propel your already awesome career into even more awesome projects so my hat's off to you.

      I always admire people that "make it" by doing what they love.

      And looking through your site just made me have some real nostalgia for when I was a kid. I haven't picked up a comic since Issue #10 of "Spiderman" (the Todd Mcfarlane one, of course).
      You're right! Been telling my comic book colleagues this since the dawn of the web. Comics used to be an old boys club industry. When the web started up I was one of the early ones to get on the web with toons and fight back. Nowadays you can reach audiences without being in the big two companies.

      With blogs, message boards, social networking, just one fan can get your name and products to untold numbers of people in a day.

      btw I was there at Malibu Comics when McFarlane and the rest of the Image guys defected from Marvel. I was doing a mini-series there.
      Signature
      Copywriting/Article Writing at $2 per 100 words! Cartoons, Comics, T-Shirt Designs!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4316741].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jacqueline Smith
    Congratulations!

    It's amazing how all the pieces of your life have come together. I have no doubt hard work and your passion are the reason why you are where you are today.

    Keep us updated on your journey!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4317589].message }}

Trending Topics