15 replies
Hey guys

If I were to make wordpress websites and sell them on eBay for example, what is the best way to include all of the files and database and everything to be opened by the possibly computer illiterate customer to simply fully 'restore' the website to there hosting or what ever?

Thanks so much

Charlie
#wordpress
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Baker
    The best way would be to do a complete site backup, that includes all wordpress files, database, and blog files. Add them to a .zip archive and host it somewhere for them to download it.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4298202].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hzwill
    To transfer a wordpress site.

    First , you should know that a whole site include two parts: one is the common files in your hosting (all),the other is the database files in your mysql serves.

    There several ways to backup and transfer. The best way is zip the common files and download,then tansfer(the more best is zip and transfer online if you are using vps);For database files,you can export directly by phpmyadmin, it is a safe way but the operation some complex especially for newbie. So I recommend you to use a database backup plug which you can backup you database just click.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4298240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholls
    Guys nice information thanks for sharing it will keep it mind
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4298523].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author relicah
    Thanks so much guys! I'l have a look for a decent plug
    Signature
    Ever Fancied Learning how to play the guitar? http://www.simply-guitar.com/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4299628].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author terryd
    The best way would be to get a copy of WP Twin and use that to transfer sites.....it doesn't get any simpler....
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4299641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author relicah
    Thank you! Looking at that it would be fantastic, however you need a verification email address to deploy the website, if I were to sell turnkeys, it would mean the buyer would also have to purchase a wptwin account, thanks anyway, that would have been amazing!
    Signature
    Ever Fancied Learning how to play the guitar? http://www.simply-guitar.com/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4299997].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author terryd
      You could move it to their host for them and it would only take 2 minutes instead of learning how to do it the hard way. They would not need a copy, only you would.

      Originally Posted by relicah View Post

      Thank you! Looking at that it would be fantastic, however you need a verification email address to deploy the website, if I were to sell turnkeys, it would mean the buyer would also have to purchase a wptwin account, thanks anyway, that would have been amazing!
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4303763].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
    Originally Posted by relicah View Post

    Hey guys

    If I were to make wordpress websites and sell them on eBay for example, what is the best way to include all of the files and database and everything to be opened by the possibly computer illiterate customer to simply fully 'restore' the website to there hosting or what ever?

    Thanks so much

    Charlie
    The best way would be to include an upsell of some step by step installation instructions and a second upsell of you offering to do the transfer for them.
    Signature

    "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4300035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NoBSGuy
    There`s a great free wordpress plugin called "backup to dropbox" that stores a complete backup of your wp site in the wp-content/ folder and puts it online at dropbox.com. You`ll have to sign up there but hey, it`s free. I particularly like the schedule feature.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4300817].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author arretonshepley
      Just as an aside Dropbox is excellent as a back-up for all your files and photos on your pc. You can then access your files from any other computer simply by logging in. Its just under $10 a month and takes the worry away if your pc goes kapput or worse - the house burns down!! I was recommended Dropbox when I had a new pc to transfer the files across which is another good use for it. And now I have found another although I use the plug in WordpressDatabase Backup which you can schedule to run every day, week, month or whatever. Having said that I have no idea what to do with the backup if things go wrong or I want to transfer my blog so I will keep an eye on this thread.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4300976].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author arretonshepley
        Thanks TolyZ
        That sounds pretty straightforward. I have bookmarked this thread now for future reference. Just need to sell a site now to get some practise transferring it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4301001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TolyZ
    If you are not familiar, or your hosting don't offer backup do this:
    1st. - Your database:
    Login to your cPanel
    Click on phpMyAdmin
    Select database
    Click on Export, then click go.

    2nd. - your web site files.
    Connect to your site and download all the files.
    After you finished zip everything up.

    Now, when you installing it on new hosting:
    1st. - create a database, let's say the name is "Database1"
    Now, go to phpMyadmin, click on database and click "Import"
    Select the file that you exported from the step 1 in previous section.
    And click go. That should import all the tables. After you imported everything, click on database, then click "Search", then select all tables and search for phrase "home/" Now you ask me why? 99% of the time you have a different path to your public_html directory when you switch hostings, so you need to configure it correctly in database. Change the old path to a new path in all the tables that include "home/" if found any.
    After you finished with that you need modify wp-config.php file to connect to a new database. Open it up with text document and modify db_user, db_name, db_pass fields to match the new database settings. After you finished with that upload everything to a new hosting and you should be good to go.

    This is how I do it, when I transfer wordpress sites.
    Signature
    Professional SEO Company marketing1on1.com that gets results.
    BuyBacklinksCheap.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4300893].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Chri5123
      Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

      If you are not familiar, or your hosting don't offer backup do this:
      1st. - Your database:
      Login to your cPanel
      Click on phpMyAdmin
      Select database
      Click on Export, then click go.

      2nd. - your web site files.
      Connect to your site and download all the files.
      After you finished zip everything up.

      Now, when you installing it on new hosting:
      1st. - create a database, let's say the name is "Database1"
      Now, go to phpMyadmin, click on database and click "Import"
      Select the file that you exported from the step 1 in previous section.
      And click go. That should import all the tables. After you imported everything, click on database, then click "Search", then select all tables and search for phrase "home/" Now you ask me why? 99% of the time you have a different path to your public_html directory when you switch hostings, so you need to configure it correctly in database. Change the old path to a new path in all the tables that include "home/" if found any.
      After you finished with that you need modify wp-config.php file to connect to a new database. Open it up with text document and modify db_user, db_name, db_pass fields to match the new database settings. After you finished with that upload everything to a new hosting and you should be good to go.

      This is how I do it, when I transfer wordpress sites.
      This ^ or use WPTwin which is easier (at least that is what I am told) - I normally do it the above way as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4301011].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AnniePot
    Originally Posted by relicah View Post

    Hey guys

    If I were to make wordpress websites and sell them on eBay for example, what is the best way to include all of the files and database and everything to be opened by the possibly computer illiterate customer to simply fully 'restore' the website to there hosting or what ever?

    Thanks so much

    Charlie
    This post will tell you everything you need to know:
    http://www.warriorforum.com/war-room...ep-videos.html
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4301082].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GemFranco
    Banned
    Just curious about backing up websites, can I just use my external hard drive to back up every files?

    I have few websites but I still didn't have a back up
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4301138].message }}

Trending Topics