OK - you want to know the REAL secret to online success.
What if I said it is none of the following?
- Technical knowledge of computers
- Secret marketing techniques
- Knowing the best business people in a niche
- Having an MBA
- Having rich parents who can invest in your business
These can all help. But they are not the secret.
So what is the secret?
It is a personal quality.
I have been teaching and training people in "digital marketing" (the polite name for the chaotic world of IM) for well over 10 years and I am always impressed that this personal quality makes the difference between success and failure.
Take two students I had on one course:
Student A - bright, young, good-looking. Great with computers, rich parents who would help out any new business venture.
Student B - old, ugly. A nice person but when it came to computers, as thick as a stump.
Student A had NOT got this secret personal quality. Student B had it in spades.
Who was successful? Student B.
- Student B was old, ugly and not great with computers. But Student B never, ever, ever gave up.
- Student A passed all exams easily. Student B failed miserably and had to resit them, as many times as it took to pass.
- Student A handed up great projects in no time. Student B sweated and fretted to get a pretty poor project in late.
Student B failed at tasks again and again. Student B ALWAYS went back and tried again.
Each failure just became a step on the way to success.
When I met them again some years socially Student A had given up digital marketing and was working for a relative, an easier (and possibly lazy) choice. That's OK but it's not a successful business.
But Student B was running their own marketing business.
So what is this personal quality?
An almost pathological level of persistence.
- pathological means "being such to a degree that is extreme, excessive, or markedly abnormal"
- persistence means "continuing firmly or obstinately in a course of action in spite of difficulty or opposition"
Note I said almost. You need to persist but not at the expense of your own health or that of your family. Your goals must be achievable by a mortal human being. But that still leaves quite a lot of room
So now you know. The secret is out.
There is no system (MAKE $XX,XXXX IN Y HOURS DOING Z) or silver bullet to ensure success.
(I warned that you might not like it.)
Just you and how much you can pick yourself up after a failure.
And you will fail. Lots.
But that's OK. Failure is a way of studying for success.